BLAME IT ON THE GIRLS - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

So this is gonna be the second single, it seems.

Can I say that I think this is actually, quite likely, my least favourite song on the album? :teehee:

It's like Relax. Mindblowing live, but "meh" on the CD. :blush-anim-cl:

That said, it sounds like a hit, methinks. American radio might even, (fingers crossed!) give it a chance.

I've recorded myself imitating Mika in the opening lines. But I'm going to hold off posting it till the album comes out officially. Then everyone can have a good giggle at my Texan accent.

I can't wait. :teehee:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

Can I say that I think this is actually, quite likely, my least favourite song on the album? :teehee:

That said, it sounds like a hit, methinks. American radio might even, (fingers crossed!) give it a chance.

Oh, I've got exactly the opposite with Relax:naughty:It's my fav Mikasong on LICM (and quite possibly my fav Mikasong in general), but it's my least favourite livesong.

Who knows, I hope they will give it a chance.

Really????

Relax wasn't my favourite either, but I think BIOTG it's great and I LOVE it! Anyway, I agree with what you say about the live version, faaaaar more better than the cd version.

I think this is basically his only chance at the moment with the US market. If the next single is unsuccessful, the album is not going to sell there. From the songs on the album this one seems to be the one most suitable for America and, at the same time, it is one that is likely to do well in other parts of the world, too. Rain should be a big hit across Europe as the third single.

Then fourth one should be I See You...

I think this is basically his only chance at the moment with the US market. If the next single is unsuccessful, the album is not going to sell there. From the songs on the album this one seems to be the one most suitable for America and, at the same time, it is one that is likely to do well in other parts of the world, too. Rain should be a big hit across Europe as the third single.

Then fourth one should be I See You...

I predict that Rain will be a bigger UK/Europe hit than Grace Kelly. It's too good not to be! While it's not my number one favourite Mika song, I do think Rain is his best song.

Anyhow, hijacking this thread, haha. Back to BIOTG...

...I don't have much to say on that one, though.:teehee:

My opinion hasn't changed since I heard the snippet.

It's been 'computerised' and it's just not up to my expections after I have heard pretty good live versions of it.

It's a good song but not arranged in a way that pleases me...:emot-sad:

Hope it will be a hit though. It really is easily digestable.:cool:

...I don't have much to say on that one, though.:teehee:

My opinion hasn't changed since I heard the snippet.

It's been 'computerised' and it's just not up to my expections after I have heard pretty good live versions of it.

It's a good song but not arranged in a way that pleases me...:emot-sad:

Hope it will be a hit though. It really is easily digestable.:cool:

For me it sounds better on the album version. I think it could be a great hit like that, but he'll always do it different live like he does with all his songs. But he has to make it comercially successful as well, so that's why the album version is so different.

But if it's going to be a new single, why did he allow it to be put out there now?

Edit: I just realised why it is, because it doesn't make any difference since the album comes out next week, and the song will advertise the album!

Great thinking Mika!

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I found the snippet on the vlog New music 1 so good but was disappointed by the entire song. I think that Touches you is more catchy and changing and I like that George Michael sound on it. Well, I was a teenager when GM did Father figure etc. and now my 14 years old daughter prefers Blame it on girls. :sneaky2:

I found the snippet on the vlog New music 1 so good but was disappointed by the entire song. I think that Touches you is more catchy and changing and I like that George Michael sound on it. Well, I was a teenager when GM did Father figure etc. and now my 14 years old daughter prefers Blame it on girls. :sneaky2:

Most people aged 25+ hear GM in Touches You. :wink2: Even reviewers pointed it out.

There is a thread for that song, too, but once you mentioned it, let me say it here that even though although TY does sound like GM's Greatest Hits condensed into 1 song so you would assume it's bound to be a hit, I think somehow it lacks some clear character. Otherwise fine though, and thinking about it, a lot of GM songs also lack in character :cool:....

If your 14 year old daughter prefers BIOTG, though, that's good news as she represents the young audience for Mika's records who might turn into his core fanbase later.:wink2:

Edited by suzie

If we are comparing up-tempo songs, I like this song over Rain and Blue Eyes. It's not my favourite (One Foot Boy still is, and I like Good Gone Girl next :wub2:).

But this is the "Clap clap" song. :clap:

If we are comparing up-tempo songs, I like this song over Rain and Blue Eyes. It's not my favourite (One Foot Boy still is, and I like Good Gone Girl next :wub2:).

But this is the "Clap clap" song. :clap:

Exactly. I think it will be one of those songs - whether you like it or not - that will still get you going at a gig because the audience is so involved with it, with the clapping and the competition with singing "blame it on the girls/blame it on the boys"

I predict that Rain will be a bigger UK/Europe hit than Grace Kelly. It's too good not to be! While it's not my number one favourite Mika song, I do think Rain is his best song.

Rain is the relax, of TBWKTM and therefore will probably be a bigger hit with my age group because we generally don't go for the deep and meaningful lyrics with nice music like grace kelly, but the (seemingly) meaningless techno beats. :insane:

Rain is the relax, of TBWKTM and therefore will probably be a bigger hit with my age group because we generally don't go for the deep and meaningful lyrics with nice music like grace kelly, but the (seemingly) meaningless techno beats. :insane:

Interesting!

And, IMHO, Rain is a hundred times stronger than Relax. Just my unsolicited opinion, of course. :naughty:

I prefer Rain to Relax myself as well. I'm ridiculously pleased with Good Gone Girl. So far From what I've heard Good Gone Girl and Rain are my favorites. Blame it on the Girls comes in close thoguh. I can't imagine how one would go about picking a perfect single out of them all. I am rubbish at knowing what is popular thoguh.

It is precisely because I was a George Michael fan when I was a teenager that I think Touches You is one of the weakest songs on the album. George Michael did it first and did it better. :dunno:

BIOTG is all Mika and I love it. From that first raw performance at the Roxy through to all the tricks he pulled out on the track.

It is precisely because I was a George Michael fan when I was a teenager that I think Touches You is one of the weakest songs on the album. George Michael did it first and did it better. :dunno:

BIOTG is all Mika and I love it. From that first raw performance at the Roxy through to all the tricks he pulled out on the track.

You know it seems I am the only person on this planet that does not have a clue who on earth George Michael is. My mom seems to know. *runs off to youtube to be enlightened*

My favorite (non vocally anyway) part of BIOTG is the piano solo inbetween the singing. It makes me wish I knew how to dance properly.

You know it seems I am the only person on this planet that does not have a clue who on earth George Michael is. My mom seems to know. *runs off to youtube to be enlightened*

:naughty: Mika did a cover of this George Michael song recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSvHpvHFXU0

And this is Father Figure which is pretty hard to forget when you're listening to Touches You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0z2TWkwD6M

:naughty: Mika did a cover of this George Michael song recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSvHpvHFXU0

I did hear that cover recently that our boy did. It was the first time I'd heard the song. I'm the always the one jamming to the super obscure/not of the last three decades. I'm just pleased that Mika knows who Harry Nilson is. Usually I get blank looks when I mention him. Actually I get blank looks every time somebody asks me what kind of music I like but I digress. *watches our topic slip off into the sunset*

Edited by CalicoSkies
spelling :)

So I was sitting there in the bar and this guy comes up to me and he said "My life stinks" and I saw his gold credit card and I saw the way he was looking at people across the room and I looked at his face and you know, what a good looking face, and I just said, "Dude, your perspective on life sucks".

From the Japanese printed lyrics:

He's got looks that books take pages to tell

He's got a face to make you fall on your knees

He's got money in the bank to thank and I guess

You could think he's livin' at ease

Like lovers on the open shore -- What's the matter?

When you're sitting there with so much more --What's the matter?

When you're wondering what the hell to be

Are you wishing you were ugly like me?

Blame it on the girls who know what to do

Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you

Blame it on your mother for the things she said

You'd blame it on your father but you know he's dead

Blame it on the girls

Blame it on the boys

Blame it on the girls

Blame it on the boys

Life could be simple but you never fail

To complicate it every single time

You could have children and a wife, a perfect little life

But you blow it on a bottle of wine

Like a baby or a stubborn child -- what's the matter

Always looking for an axe to grind -- what's the matter

While you're wondering what the hell to do

We are wishing we were lucky like you

You'd blame it on your father but you know he's dead

Blame it on the girls

Blame it on the boys

Blame it on the girls

Blame it on the boys x 2

He's got looks that books take pages to tell

He's got a face to make you fall on your knees

He's got money in the bank to thank and I guess

You could think he's livin' at ease

Blame it on your father but you know he's dead

Blame it on the girls

Blame it on the boys

Blame it on the girls

Blame it on the boys x 2

so this just proves lyric books are not always exact.:blink:

so this just proves lyric books are not always exact.:blink:

yes, but "You'd blame it on your father but you know he's dead"

does make more sense than simply 'blame it'

... so we can put together a final version later:biggrin2:

So my theory doesn't really work in your case. But I can't seem to get enough of Touches you and it really gets me dancing. Now I stop squatting the BIOTG thread :naughty:. There seems to be something for everyone in this album and almost every song has its biggest fan on MFC. Mika should make 12 or 13 singles to please everyone.

Mika should make 12 or 13 singles to please everyone.

The thing is that I think most of us like all songs on the album (well, I do), but our favourites are different. In fact, our own favourites might change time to time...

Concerning the best song to be released for a single, it is extremely difficult in Mika's case as you'd want to chose a song that is likely to appeal to most people (which is a very difficult task in itself since most of Mika's songs are very catchy and could all go as a single) but on the other hand, Mika's audience by definition is different from the mass audience so I think the success of any song as a single is pretty much unpredictable...

....:blink:...

don't think I made sense but at least I tried :biggrin2:

Well since the song was released a couple different ways I don't think it will hurt if I post my parody of the beginning intro. Mind you if you haven't heard it yet don't download this. Also I would like to say my accent is normally not that heavy. I only talk that way when I get around my Aunt Viel who would make anybody drawl if you spend more than five minutes with her.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k3gyod