BLAME IT ON THE GIRLS - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

Lol @ That site Ingie just posted:roftl:

''Like lovers of the good book show''

That is what we (deb?) thought at first.............:roftl: It makes nearly as much sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Marie and Nono, who wanted to know a verse of the lyrics and asked me to ask Mika how it was. It was just too confusing in London and too many people and I didn't get to talk to him well.:boxed:

It sounded "hitting" when he sang it, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The line where your lyrics suggest it's

"He's certain there is so much more -- what's the matter?"

I thought from his itunes fest. performance it sounded like

"while you're sitting there with so much more - what's the matter?"

it ties in with the rest of the lyrics, ie. how fortunate/in a good position the guy is...

But maybe i'm wrong, does anyone else think the same way?

"When you're wondering what the hell to do

Are you wishing you were ugly like me?"

I thought it was "wondering what the hell to BE, are you wishing you were ugly like me"? :dunno:

It just rhymes more, and I think he says "be" lol :naughty:

Also, it's "blame it on the boys who keep HITTING on you" I believe.

Can I just say that I absolutely LOVE the quieter bit you can hear on German Amazon. I always loved this song and it just got even better!

(Seems like the best place to say it, sorry- I just had to!)

Well, this thread is about the song, so let me reply to you on this:

I like the song but I have already expressed as well on another thread that somehow I expected it to sound a bit different. The bits on the German Amazon (i.e the verses) sound fine but the recorded version of the chorus does not match my expectation... That's because based on what I heard in the vlog in the spring, I did not expect synthetisers on this track at all...

So I blame it on my expectations:mf_rosetinted:

The line where your lyrics suggest it's

"He's certain there is so much more -- what's the matter?"

I thought from his itunes fest. performance it sounded like

"while you're sitting there with so much more - what's the matter?"

it ties in with the rest of the lyrics, ie. how fortunate/in a good position the guy is...

But maybe i'm wrong, does anyone else think the same way?

This looks to have been changed some time ago already - very close to what you just suggested, except it was changed to "when" rather than "while".

I thought it was "wondering what the hell to BE, are you wishing you were ugly like me"? :dunno:

Also, it's "blame it on the boys who keep HITTING on you" I believe.

All done.

I think the first time we heard this song, when he debuted it in LA,

he made a little mistake with the lyrics and sang, "do" and "me" --

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to rhyme, "be" and "me." :thumb_yello:

I think just about every other time he's sung it since that's how it's been.

"Also, it's "blame it on the boys who keep HITTING on you" I believe.

Yes, I thought so from the beginning and with this little snippet, I'm certain

of it now. :biggrin2: Definitely makes the lyrics more interesting.

Well, this thread is about the song, so let me reply to you on this:

I like the song but I have already expressed as well on another thread that somehow I expected it to sound a bit different. The bits on the German Amazon (i.e the verses) sound fine but the recorded version of the chorus does not match my expectation... That's because based on what I heard in the vlog in the spring, I did not expect synthetisers on this track at all...

I wouldn't recognize a syth if it bit me- I can just about tell a piano from a guitar, but only if I listen specially. I like the way the "to do" and "on you" seem to be on a different note/minor key on the CD. (Sorry, I really am nearly tone deaf- but it's definately different. Or are those the synths?)

The bits on the German Amazon (i.e the verses) sound fine but the recorded version of the chorus does not match my expectation... That's because based on what I heard in the vlog in the spring, I did not expect synthetisers on this track at all...

I'm very surprised by it as well but I have to say I think it is a good choice. It has modernized the song and otherwise I think it could have been a bit too old fashioned.

I only had vague conceptions about how this might turn out as a single before but now I can hear clearly that it's got single written all over it.

I wouldn't recognize a synth if it bit me

I meant in the chorus when he sings BIOTG BIOTB..

I'm very surprised by it as well but I have to say I think it is a good choice. It has modernized the song and otherwise I think it could have been a bit too old fashioned.

:dunno:

That's the problem with me... I'm old fashioned... :emot-sad:

(:biggrin2:)

PS: I do like it but I imagined it to sound different somehow.... more 70s sound... I imagined it to sound more Jackson5-ish:wink2:

Edited by suzie

I meant in the chorus when he sings BIOTG BIOTB..

:dunno:

That's the problem with me... I'm old fashioned... :emot-sad:

(:biggrin2:)

PS: I do like it but I imagined it to sound different somehow.... more 70s sound... I imagined it to sound more Jackson5-ish:wink2:

Thanks- um, I can only hear the drum and his voice in that bit (Edit- and a trumpetty thing on the mashup)

(I'm not being awkward here, I really do have difficulty distinguishing sounds.) But although I can't pinpoint the change, I must admit I think it makes it sound more traditionally latin rather than more modern

Edited by Soaring Simpson

Well Jackson 5 might be cool retro, but by old fashioned I meant dated, which not-a-good-single would make. I think GGG is a bit old fashioned actually and doesn't have single potential unfortunately because I think the lyrics are brilliant.

(I'm not being awkward here, I really do have difficulty distinguishing sounds.) But although I can't pinpoint the change, I must admit I think it makes it sound more traditionally latin rather than more modern

(I think) it's the techno manipulation of his voice that sounds more modern in the chorus. Just like it's the manipulation of his voice in other parts that gives it a 1930s vibe. Not really referring to the rhythms.

There's a LOT going on in this song. I love it. :teehee:

Well Jackson 5 might be cool retro, but by old fashioned I meant dated, which not-a-good-single would make. I think GGG is a bit old fashioned actually and doesn't have single potential unfortunately because I think the lyrics are brilliant.

(I think) it's the techno manipulation of his voice that sounds more modern in the chorus. Just like it's the manipulation of his voice in other parts that gives it a 1930s vibe. Not really referring to the rhythms.

There's a LOT going on in this song. I love it. :teehee:

Oh dear- in my innocence I assumed he'd sung it different on the recording :teehee:

I love it too- it's even starting to edge out Rain which I've loved since pdp- never thought that would happen but now BIOTG has a variety of moods- and I'm dying even at the thought of a vid of Mika dancing to it :swoon:

Oh dear- in my innocence I assumed he'd sung it different on the recording :teehee:

Well I said *I think*. I'm not sure how it sounds techno, just that it does. I'm assuming it's achieved with some sort of electronic manipulation, but I would have no idea all those sounds on Rain were organic if he hadn't pointed it out so I could be mistaken. I know less than nothing about sound engineering or even singing really. :naughty:

yes, I know :emot-sad: ... Much as I love GGG I fully understand why in its current form it is unlikely to be released as a single, just like it was most unlikely for Billy Brown or SITM to be even considered as singles...(They would have sounded 'dated' even in the 70s :naughty:)

.... I still feel that a different intrumentation (drums, bass, horns and piano) on BIOTG would have brought out more from the song that is very strong already ... But yes, not particularly radio-friendly , perhaps...:wink2:...

(However hard I try, I can't even imagine Lollipop being played between Akon and Justin Timberlake on US radio:blink: )

So, I think I must stop whining now or I will sound like nothing is ever good for me. :teehee:.. I am pretty sure by the time the album is out I will get over it and stop wanting to hear horns where there are not supposed to be any:biggrin2:..

I think they kept "American radio friendliness" in their minds when working on this track. It sounds custom-built for American radio, IMHO.

Well, as much as a Mika song can possibly be. :teehee:

Well I'm mystified- I'm not doubting your knowledge- but I would have thought a song whose character has promiscuous bisexual sex (what else can you blame "the girls who know what to do" and "the boys who keep hitting on you" for?) would be less playable than one sung in a "woman's register" like Love Today