BLAME IT ON THE GIRLS - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

Must say for some reason I quite like the beginning of that song. I was sitting in my car like: huh? What is he saying? :blink: Then I heard it again and I liked it :naughty: Didn't expect it to be there the first time .. :roftl: So great the cd still is different, even though you've heard most of the songs already :original:

Blame It On The Girls: (thanks Droopsy!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDiLnbiISYo

http://www.buzznet.com/www/search/videos/mika/78082471/mika-talks-blame-girls/

DL LINK: http://www.sendspace.com/file/erwvao

VIDEO: Mika Explains "Blame It On The Girls"

09/22/09

Strange but true: Perez Hilton-approved pop singer Mika wrote his very first song after hearing Nirvana's Heart-Shaped Box. But now he's found inspiration in real life: specifically, he wrote his handclap-heavy new single, "Blame It On The Girls," after witnessing a flirty gent in London hit on his younger sister. Hear the singer born Michael Penniman detail the full origin of the song in this Buzznet clip, and see if the new album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, doesn't get your toes tapping.

quick summary:

Mika and his sister were walking on the street, when this posh guy that was talking/screaming in his cellphone passed by and his sister looked at him and that guy was all :das: flirty flirty. Which pissed Mika off apparently? :aah: And when the guy had passed his sister said: "Oh poor pretty boy!" (or something like that). Which gave Mika the idea to create this song about this guy that had everything and still wasn't happy. And then he talked a bit about the clapping etc.

from here: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19932

Blame It On The Girls: (thanks Droopsy!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDiLnbiISYo

http://www.buzznet.com/www/search/videos/mika/78082471/mika-talks-blame-girls/

DL LINK: http://www.sendspace.com/file/erwvao

VIDEO: Mika Explains "Blame It On The Girls"

09/22/09

Strange but true: Perez Hilton-approved pop singer Mika wrote his very first song after hearing Nirvana's Heart-Shaped Box. But now he's found inspiration in real life: specifically, he wrote his handclap-heavy new single, "Blame It On The Girls," after witnessing a flirty gent in London hit on his younger sister. Hear the singer born Michael Penniman detail the full origin of the song in this Buzznet clip, and see if the new album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, doesn't get your toes tapping.

quick summary:

Mika and his sister were walking on the street, when this posh guy that was talking/screaming in his cellphone passed by and his sister looked at him and that guy was all :das: flirty flirty. Which pissed Mika off apparently? :aah: And when the guy had passed his sister said: "Oh poor pretty boy!" (or something like that). Which gave Mika the idea to create this song about this guy that had everything and still wasn't happy. And then he talked a bit about the clapping etc.

from here: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19932

That's hilarious :aah:

NEWS BULLETIN:

"Blame It On The Girls" has just hit No. 1 in Japan!

It is the first time a non-Japanese song has hit #1 since "Bleeding Love!"

Kudos Mika!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

And this is amazing!!

And this is Father Figure which is pretty hard to forget when you're listening to Touches You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0z2TWkwD6M

I immediatly thought of Father Figure while listening to TY.

Is that really Mika at the very beginning of this?

The "So I was sitting there in the bar ........."

I wanted to ask the same question!

Oh yes it’s him, but his voice is garbled somehow!:wink2:

Thanks. (What does garbled mean?)

NEWS BULLETIN:

"Blame It On The Girls" has just hit No. 1 in Japan!

It is the first time a non-Japanese song has hit #1 since "Bleeding Love!"

Kudos Mika!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Now already??:shocked: That's great news! I didn't even know it was already out in Japan!

I wanted to ask the same question!

Do people really not know that is Mika? I must be overly obsessed because I think I could instantly recognize his voice if he was whispering in some foreign language in a fake accent 30 feet away. :teehee:

Thanks. (What does garbled mean?)

Distorted. I wouldn't say it's garbled at all. He's just speaking with an American accent. It sounds like a New Orleans accent to me, specifically.

Do people really not know that is Mika? I must be overly obsessed because I think I could instantly recognize his voice if he was whispering in some foreign language in a fake accent 30 feet away. :teehee:

Distorted. I wouldn't say it's garbled at all. He's just speaking with an American accent. It sounds like a New Orleans accent to me, specifically.

Thanks

I must say my first thought was that is was Mika himself, but I thought reading an interview where it says that he recorded it from a movie. So I got doubting!

I am one of the few that did not recognize that it was Mika.

I even asked about it here after hearing BIOTG two or three times.

Now: I can certainly hear that it is him.

I guess I was confused. Hahaha!

Thanks

I must say my first thought was that is was Mika himself, but I thought reading an interview where it says that he recorded it from a movie. So I got doubting!

I have to say I presumed that it was a famous film clip from an old film....but had thought about him doing the Grace kelly stuff himself....but didn't think it sounded like him!!

Christine ru sure?! :blink::roftl:

I know. His voice is impossible not to recognize :lol3:

Edited by Fmbm

:thumb_yello:

I'd recognize his voice even if I was deaf and he was mute!:mf_rosetinted:

A couple of reviews have mentioned TLC's No Scrubs as being similar to BIOTG. Not having heard that song for years I Youtubed it and yes, there is a similarity with the beginning of the verses of both songs though it's not as much of an overall likeness as Touches You/Father Figure.

I don't like the fact all these comparisons, valid or not, are being drawn. I am really beginning to wish somebody would TELL Mika at an early stage that the hook in X sounds a bit too much like the one in that old song Y by Z. It doesn't stop me liking Mika's songs but it's still faintly annoying..

However I am glad I was reintroduced to No Scrubs, it's actually a great song, I'd forgotten how much I liked it at the time (unusual for me to like RNB).

I know. His voice is impossible to recognize :lol3:

What? Really?

I need to get out more. :teehee:

I don't like the fact all these comparisons, valid or not, are being drawn. I am really beginning to wish somebody would TELL Mika at an early stage that the hook in X sounds a bit too much like the one in that old song Y by Z. It doesn't stop me liking Mika's songs but it's still faintly annoying...

I think it's impossible to avoid. Nothing has been done in pop music in the past 20 years that hadn't already been invented by the 1980s. There is just nothing novel in music anymore and it's not particular to Mika.

By necessity everyone is rearranging what has already gone before and as someone was telling me yesterday the genius comes from those who have the sense to rip off from the best.

As Mika says better to be compared to Freddie Mercury, George Michael et al than someone who sucks. :naughty:

Even if Christine isn't sure, I am! :teehee:

Seriously, all kidding aside. It's definitely Mika. :thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello:

I'd recognize his voice even if I was deaf and he was mute!:mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao:

A couple of reviews have mentioned TLC's No Scrubs as being similar to BIOTG. Not having heard that song for years I Youtubed it and yes, there is a similarity with the beginning of the verses of both songs though it's not as much of an overall likeness as Touches You/Father Figure.

Whhhat???? :aah:

Okay, which lines? And what bits sound the same? Because I'm not hearing this AT ALL. Like, not even a little. :roftl:

Okay, which lines? And what bits sound the same? Because I'm not hearing this AT ALL. Like, not even a little. :roftl:

Yeah,, I don't hear it either :S

Boys to the left!

:D Your post made me rotfl!

I like the first minute of BIOTG's album version alot.

ALOT.

But otherwise, I prefer it live :)

It's that "stripped" version of the chords on the album version that I love, I still can't figure out what notes those are :/

I can't wait to see what he does for the video, I'm sure he'll blow it out of the water again like WAG.!

Off-topic, Lover Boy, <3

I so was not expecting it, I thought those horns were for Dr. John

Now if he'll do a few more unspeakables~

Edited by Daisuke

I think it's impossible to avoid. Nothing has been done in pop music in the past 20 years that hadn't already been invented by the 1980s. There is just nothing novel in music anymore and it's not particular to Mika.

By necessity everyone is rearranging what has already gone before and as someone was telling me yesterday the genius comes from those who have the sense to rip off from the best.

As Mika says better to be compared to Freddie Mercury, George Michael et al than someone who sucks. :naughty:

Yes, a very big part of me knows all of that and agrees totally with you. It's just a tiny part of me that is niggled by it though. I am perhaps more niggled by the fact commentators/reviewers have to constantly compare things, often detrimentally, rather than by the fact the similarities exist :dunno: If that makes any sense (sorry I've just woken up :aah:).

It's the 'He's got looks that books take pages to tell' bit v. the 'A scrub is a guy who thinks he's fine(fly??)' from No Scrubs. Yes, it's only a few notes but it's quite a distinctive few notes.

Oh ok ok it sounds nothing like it :aah: Except it does!! LOL