BLAME IT ON THE GIRLS - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

I think they kept "American radio friendliness" in their minds when working on this track. It sounds custom-built for American radio, IMHO.

Well, as much as a Mika song can possibly be. :teehee:

I think so too, though I still can't imagine hearing even this on American radio :huh:

I think the reason why Mika's has done this song so differently than what he does live is because you only get to record for an album once. Mika said this in his first DVD...when you perform you can perform it however you like, but you probably can't do the album version live (:naughty:) hence the different versions...

Well I'm mystified- I'm not doubting your knowledge- but I would have thought a song whose character has promiscuous bisexual sex (what else can you blame "the girls who know what to do" and "the boys who keep hitting on you" for?) would be less playable than one sung in a "woman's register" like Love Today

The suits were also getting on his case about the use of "dead" in the song as well. :doh:

I really don't understand the American thing at all. The values and standards seem so arbitrary and conflicting and it's so different from Canada I can't make any predictions beyond what Mika said. There is no rational reason to expect the reaction is going to be any different from last time. Although obviously it would be great if it was.

Like a baby you're a stubborn child -- what's the matter

Always looking for an axe to grind -- what's the matter

While you're wondering what the hell to be

We were wishing we were lucky like you

Isn't it "while you're wondering what the hell to do" ? I always hear it do..

Isn't it "while you're wondering what the hell to do" ? I always hear it do..

I pointed that out as well lol :roftl:

:roftl: I relistened again now and it's definitely do :thumb_yello:

Oh. Okay. *Goes to listen again*

"Do" is the word in the verse that starts with "Like a baby..."

But it's "be" in the verse at the beginning that starts with "Like lovers"

And then you realize that it may be intentionally different for each verse because it rhymes with the next line.

:thumb_yello:

Edited by Suzy

Mika messed up one of the lines the first time he performed it in LA. That's why the lyrics were transcribed wrong to start with. :teehee:

Blame it on the girls? Blame it on Mika, more like! :mf_rosetinted:

I just added (edited my last post) that it may be intentionally different for each verse because then it makes sense and rhymes with the next line. "Do" and "you", then "be" and "me". :teehee:

I just added (edited my last post) that it may be intentionally different for each verse because then it makes sense and rhymes with the next line. "Do" and "you", then "be" and "me". :teehee:

:thumb_yello:

has anybody noticed the popping sound at the preview of blame it on the girls on mika's website,

I wondered what it was and have just realised, He says just before it "blow it on a bottle of wine" and thats the pop of the cork on the bottle,:naughty:

I think ive got too much time on my hands if i realised that...

Ive got to get out more...:teehee:

has anybody noticed the popping sound at the preview of blame it on the girls on mika's website,

I wondered what it was and have just realised, He says just before it "blow it on a bottle of wine" and thats the pop of the cork on the bottle,:naughty:

I think ive got too much time on my hands if i realised that...

Ive got to get out more...:teehee:

Yes I think you're right. :thumb_yello:

OK- hands on hearts- did anybody guess it was inspired by his sisters? :dunno:

Do we even believe him?

Of course it wasn't :naughty:. Well, IMHO :roftl:

I think it must have felt like a rather embarrassing question for Mika as the guy had clearly not heard the song yet or has problems with understanding the lyrics....

This question was just as dumb as previous ones from 2007 like 'Why did you write a song about Grace Kelly?' :blink:

I think it must have felt like a rather embarrassing question for Mika as the guy had clearly not heard the song yet or has problems with understanding the lyrics....

This question was just as dumb as previous ones from 2007 like 'Why did you write a song about Grace Kelly?' :blink:

Yeah, I had a really bad feeling watching that interview as well. It felt so stale and static, like they had zero chemistry with the guy, and there was absolutely no connection between them.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the interviewer, to be honest, but Mika was great :thumb_yello:.

Yeah, I had a really bad feeling watching that interview as well. It felt so stale and static, like they had zero chemistry with the guy, and there was absolutely no connection between them.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the interviewer, to be honest, but Mika was great :thumb_yello:.

Yeah. It's weird, cause I enjoyed his interview at BBC radio 1, which was also with Grimmy, and I also usually enjoy the interviews Nick does with other people, but I just felt plain awkward after watching this.

Yeah. It's weird, cause I enjoyed his interview at BBC radio 1, which was also with Grimmy, and I also usually enjoy the interviews Nick does with other people, but I just felt plain awkward after watching this.

Yeah, that is what it was: ackward :blink: