LONELY ALCOHOLIC - Lyrics Discussion

I'm not sold on this one either :boxed:

I wouldn't say it's garbage (:naughty: I love your honesty scg!) but I'm just not convinced by the lyrics at all. They have a slightly patronising air.

On the plus side, his voice is lovely and the tune is nice.

I'm generally just more a fan of his uptempo stuff I guess. But as far as downtempo acoustic Mika goes, I prefer all three of the other EP tracks to this, by quite some margin.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i love this song, it of reminds me of Beautiful South, but thats not a bad in it's very much a good thing !!! cus i've grown up listening to Beatiful south, i love this song dispite what everyone says !!!

yeah i love his voice too but thats about it :roftl:

:roftl:

The thing is that we are not use to hear Mika sing like this and I have to listen to them several times before I can decide what I really feel about them.:wink2:

But I always have a soft spot for the piano playing...:wub2:

i love this song, it of reminds me of Beautiful South, but thats not a bad in it's very much a good thing !!! cus i've grown up listening to Beatiful south, i love this song dispite what everyone says !!!

I'd place it somewhere between a rip-off and a parody - and not a very good one :sneaky2: I absolutely love The Beautiful South and I'm almost insulted by this eh...song :boxed:

no Beautiful South songs are brill these track are not !

Now that I'm home I finally get to appreciate the new songs, and just wow. He's really grown as a songwriter and I'm love with these songs :wub2:

Mika can do no wrong in my book :fangurl:

:roftl:

The thing is that we are not use to hear Mika sing like this and I have to listen to them several times before I can decide what I really feel about them.:wink2:

But I always have a soft spot for the piano playing...:wub2:

its got nothing 2 do with these songs being different i dont like em ! is over my shoulder different ? yes ! i remember when he played it @ glasgow 07 it made me want to cry *something i dont do very often* & everyone around me was chatting , i just wanted to turn round & tell everyone to shut the f**k up !

i like this song and lady jane and i perfectly respect people who dont like it but i think rather than just saying its bad and bashing it u should say why its bad rather than just talking bad about it

it's bad because the lyrics are so forced and awkward that it becomes a joke. I don't know whether to roll around on the floor laughing or feel embarrased for him really :dunno:

its got nothing 2 do with these songs being different i dont like em ! is over my shoulder different ? yes ! i remember when he played it @ glasgow 07 it made me want to cry *something i dont do very often* & everyone around me was chatting , i just wanted to turn round & tell everyone to shut the f**k up !

You really should have done that!:roftl:

I can't believe how people can do that when he's singing?!

It was the same when sang that song in Stockholm the first time!:sneaky2:

I know, right? :thumbdown::no:

Even if you don't like the song being sung, you can still be respectful to the guy...

u cant do that in glasgow ....i would have got chibbed :shocked: (stabbed)

Now all this said, it didn't actually take me long to quit wondering why the last verse of Billy Brown seems to be glued on backwards or laughing at the lonely alone line - or even the forking out of daylight and the tortured knife or how much that was :teehee: I always found his lyrics quite rubbish, but I will eventually get used to them and love the songs anyway :naughty:

Now all this said, it didn't actually take me long to quit wondering why the last verse of Billy Brown seems to be glued on backwards or laughing at the lonely alone line - or even the forking out of daylight and the tortured knife or how much that was :teehee: I always found his lyrics quite rubbish, but I will eventually get used to them and love the songs anyway :naughty:

That's the spirit!!!!

:aah:

Yeah, stop looking too deep kata, sing along, play the game, and pay lots of money for tickets to see him sing the songs LIVE ....FOR YOU...:pinkbow:

(notice lyircs are still not posted on his site to solve the fork problem....)

I find it all very Nilsson...but I guess that is just showing my age....

PS I thought your interpretation of wetty wetty rain was still THE BEST

Yeah, stop looking too deep kata, sing along, play the game, and pay lots of money for tickets to see him sing the songs LIVE ....FOR YOU...:pinkbow:

(notice lyircs are still not posted on his site to solve the fork problem....)

I find it all very Nilsson...but I guess that is just showing my age....

PS I thought your interpretation of wetty wetty rain was still THE BEST

Yes it is a bit Harry! I agree! They are almost torch songs.

And wasn't it 'fog out my daylight'?? I'm pretty sure no cutlery was ever involved :aah: The lyrics on the site are a bit :boxed: in places though aren't they??

I think he says "door"

DOLE makes more sense over here as that is how it is for some single mothers, they stand in line (Queue) to sign on the dole to get their money from the government.

but the last line made me smirk :naughty: when I first heard ('cause the dirt on which we're stepping is the one in which we will be found) yet I kinda love that line the best cos it's so dam well true!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!! the tune reminds me a bit of beauty school drop out from grease but i guess its just that era...

beauty school drop out:

Yeah, it sounds a little like that to me too.

I'm not sold on this one yet. I like the tune, like the piano, like his voice, not sure about the lyrics, but if we're going to mention Billy Brown.... the chorus gets me.

"Gonna pick you up like a paper cup, gonna shake the water out of every nook", that's always been a little cringeworthy to me.

But it doesn't stop me from getting a kick out of listening to Billy Brown and I think this will be the same. I will grow to be fond of the song for the song's sake regardless of the lyrics. At least, I think I will.

I know, right? :thumbdown::no:

Even if you don't like the song being sung, you can still be respectful to the guy...

You mean, the way MFC'ers report that they are respectful at a festival if they don't like the acts that are on while they are waiting for Mika? They always stand and listen quietly? I don't think so. And whilst I agree with what you're saying, it doesn't seem to work like that. Unless an act is really huge and generally respected, and up and coming artists aren't at that point yet. They are still having to impress and win over their audience and that's where Mika was when he still bothered to try and sing that song at gigs. I personally think its a real shame that the audience reactions meant Over my Shoulder got dropped, but who knows. It may make a comeback at one of these acoustic gigs. I don't imagine there are going to be that many "Mika-curious" people at the acoustic gigs, I think the majority will be people who are already fans. And let's hope that in that kind of atmosphere, it may reappear.

Oh you could say that that is onerous,

I'm just craving to be heard

I LOVE the tone of his voice when he sings the lyrics "be heard." :wub2:

You know, I'm glad we first saw Toyboy in a video from a live show. I think seeing Mika's expressions while performing makes a huge, huge difference in helping us connect with the songs. I SO hope he plays this on the acoustic tour.

Edited by lollipop_monkey

DOLE makes more sense over here as that is how it is for some single mothers, they stand in line (Queue) to sign on the dole to get their money from the government.

Oh okay. I didn't know what "dole" meant. Maybe I should look it up next time :teehee:

"Gonna pick you up like a paper cup, gonna shake the water out of every nook", that's always been a little cringeworthy to me.

But it doesn't stop me from getting a kick out of listening to Billy Brown and I think this will be the same. I will grow to be fond of the song for the song's sake regardless of the lyrics. At least, I think I will.

I hope so! :biggrin2:

As a person who uses english as a foreign language (not always perfectly), imagine my surprise to hear that a wife can be cautionary :naughty: Actually, she could be if she does something that makes you learn a good lesson about life, but I don't think that's what Mika really meant :teehee:

Same with a lot of words in the songs...I never knew what SITM lyrics mean in my language :blink: And 'no need to fantasize since I was in my braces' or whatever it says, it will always be out of the context to me :aah:

PS: Cringeworthy! You know that word doesn't even exist in my english dictionary? But sounds good! haha. It's the kind of word Mika would use in the middle of a sentence, not to get out of the habit.