LONELY ALCOHOLIC - Lyrics Discussion

I hope so! :biggrin2:

As a person who uses english as a foreign language (not always perfectly), imagine my surprise to hear that a wife can be cautionary :naughty: Actually, she could be if she does something that makes you learn a good lesson about life, but I don't think that's what Mika really meant :teehee:

Same with a lot of words in the songs...I never knew what SITM lyrics mean in my language :blink: And 'no need to fantasize since I was in my braces' or whatever it says, it will always be out of the context to me :aah:

PS: Cringeworthy! You know that word doesn't even exist in my english dictionary? But sounds good! haha. It's the kind of word Mika would use in the middle of a sentence, not to get out of the habit.

Yes, cautionary was unusual for me too. I'm used to hearing PREcautionary as a word, not cautionary.

And although I understand what he means in the chorus of Big Girl, it's a kind of ridiculous lyric. Still....

Sometimes not-as-good lyrics can be saved by the music, and sometimes great lyrics are let down by the music. Some lyrics read well, almost like poetry, without their music and yet some are just ????? And not every line is going to be inspired and not every tune is going to be brilliant. I think it's too hard to be a genius all the time, but for every time the lyrics aren't strong or whatever, Mika must believe in something about the song to bother putting it on an album.

It's curious what you say about cringeworthy. I'd never thought about it as a word, and I'm sure if I looked it up in my dictionary it wouldn't be there either. I guess it's a colloquialism....

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so! :biggrin2:

As a person who uses english as a foreign language (not always perfectly), imagine my surprise to hear that a wife can be cautionary :naughty: Actually, she could be if she does something that makes you learn a good lesson about life, but I don't think that's what Mika really meant :teehee:

Same with a lot of words in the songs...I never knew what SITM lyrics mean in my language :blink: And 'no need to fantasize since I was in my braces' or whatever it says, it will always be out of the context to me :aah:

PS: Cringeworthy! You know that word doesn't even exist in my english dictionary? But sounds good! haha. It's the kind of word Mika would use in the middle of a sentence, not to get out of the habit.

I can’t decide if it is an advantage or a drawback to not be a native English speaker when it comes to listen to lyrics.:wink2:

Both you and I, obviously, understand a lot of English but it still can be a little fuzzy around the edges!

We don’t get the immediate associations; we have to use our imagination to fill in the gaps.

I still remember how surprised and sometimes disappointed I was when I started to learn English and all of a sudden could understand lyrics in old familiar songs for example by the Beatles and Abba, and sometimes it was a little different than what I had made them to be in my mind!:teehee:

I still remember how surprised and sometimes disappointed I was when I started to learn English and all of a sudden could understand lyrics in old familiar songs for example by the Beatles and Abba, and sometimes it was a little different than what I had made them to be in my mind!:teehee:

So you thought Waterloo was about the battle itself? :naughty:

ok, lady jane is ok but THIS song is plainly fan-tastic!!! I adore it! and lyrics are welcome, cause I don't get them all..

the mix up of low voice singing and falsetto is incredible.. :wub2:

"...you've got kids who just don't eat enough..."

I'm sure Mika wrote this about me!!!!

lol

No, Mika wrote this song about ME!!! I'm a single mother with 2 kids who don't eat enough coz I must save money for the acoustic tour :huh:

Lady Madonna, children at your feet, wonder how you manage to make ends meet...

Oups wrong forum :teehee:

You know, I'm glad we first saw Toyboy in a video from a live show. I think seeing Mika's expressions while performing makes a huge, huge difference in helping us connect with the songs. I SO hope he plays this on the acoustic tour.

I totally agree, that was what made me love that song even more, watching his face and the expressions he made..........:wub2: It is still my favourite new song so far. :fangurl: Sorry just wanted to use the fangurl one as I haven't yet! :roftl:

Go here and listen to the new song from the NEW Songs for sorrow EP

http://www.mikasounds.com/

So, what do you think??

:wub2:

My first guess:

You're a lonely alcoholic

with a tendency to wine (first I thought whine...:)

well you speak it and you drink it

and bore us all the time

I didn't like this song at first, but it has grown on me.

And I'm sure it's both whine and wine. Clever.

I didn't like this song at first, but it has grown on me.

And I'm sure it's both whine and wine. Clever.

i agree it's both and clever indeed:thumb_yello:

Yeah, stop looking too deep kata, sing along, play the game, and pay lots of money for tickets to see him sing the songs LIVE ....FOR YOU...:pinkbow:

(notice lyircs are still not posted on his site to solve the fork problem....)

I find it all very Nilsson...but I guess that is just showing my age....

PS I thought your interpretation of wetty wetty rain was still THE BEST

Yes it is a bit Harry! I agree! They are almost torch songs.

And wasn't it 'fog out my daylight'?? I'm pretty sure no cutlery was ever involved :aah: The lyrics on the site are a bit :boxed: in places though aren't they??

Thaat was one of my first reaction to these songs! That they are quite Nilssonesque!

They totally remind me of some of the Aerial Pandemonium Ballet album in certain parts, the way the piano goes and also his voice, and the way he tells the story... It's just got that air. Which is a good thing :naughty:

As I did in the Toy Boy thread, here's a download of just the piano for this song that I recorded. Though my version sounds like Mika playing piano after a couple of drinks :teehee:

Anyways, you can sing along to it, which was the purpose of me making this, so I hope you enjoy.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fi2plt

I'm totally in love with this song by the way. I think it's brilliant :fangurl:

As I did in the Toy Boy thread, here's a download of just the piano for this song that I recorded. Though my version sounds like Mika playing piano after a couple of drinks :teehee:

Anyways, you can sing along to it, which was the purpose of me making this, so I hope you enjoy.

I'm totally in love with this song by the way. I think it's brilliant :fangurl:

:lol3: Whoot! Thankth :fangurl:

@Haley and Megan Meyer and if it's just the four songs on an EP that are brilliant, imagine how the actual album will be! :stretcher::fangurl:

@Haley and Megan Meyer and if it's just the four songs on an EP that are brilliant, imagine how the actual album will be! :stretcher::fangurl:

You're very welcome :biggrin2:

As I did in the Toy Boy thread, here's a download of just the piano for this song that I recorded. Though my version sounds like Mika playing piano after a couple of drinks

I'm totally in love with this song by the way. I think it's brilliant

Thank you bunches. It sounded great!!! Lovely to sing along to. :thumb_yello:

OMG I know!!!!!! :fangurl::fangurl: