The strange world of Mika - Observer - June 12 2009

dcdeb

Wow...I really don't know what to say about this interview. Just that it's the best I've ever read.:shocked: Call it an exaggeration, but that's what I feel about it. It just describes him and portrays him in a much better way than any other interview and still not revealing that much, but really trying to get him more deeply and not superficially. Still can't quite get what he is as he says, but I just give in to not knowing. It's the way he shows things, the way he tells them, the way his life appears to be or was before... He may be compared to all those huge pop stars but there's something that can never be compared between them. Especially the confidence. He's quite a character and he doesn't seem to notice how great he is himself. That's what makes me a bit sad because it can be limitative... But I'm sure he's gone over that and it's just something that belongs to who he is. I loved that he said you can't make a record, or write one based on just wanting it to be a hit. You have to like what you're doing and you have to know that's something that will make you happy... I think if he did his records or anything just based on how it would suceed, things would come out meaningless in some way. Because there'd be no real feelings put onto it, it wouldn't be faced by him as another creation of his, but just something he's creating for others...

I feel sad as some of you but have no idea why... In a way I have an idea why and that's because I see he's proud of being different, and a freak, but he still wants people to understand him and that's what makes things hard... I don't know if that's the truth for him and if that annoys him that people sometimes don't even try to get him but it's what I think...

What makes me sad aswell is how he wants to sometimes seperate private life and his sexuality from his music or just for people not to regard his music thinking about that but people will always be questioning themselves and him about it like that part of his private life absolutely define their love for him or can put them off of him or...It's just a bit frustrating. I'm not going on Mika's defense here, it's just again my opinion.

I also think that the part of having a close circle of friends is because having a larger one is just something that doesn't appeal to him that much... Because most of those people won't understand him or won't like to spend time with the person he really is and not the person he publically is.

I think his mom also did well on modelling him, or teaching him seperately from all that outside world because someone who's different from anybody else in many ways can get a bit lost out there with all the "common" people and standard opinions and I think by giving him that education he could really take advantage of his oddness for his own good.

"because I think that things that are really good should never cost a lot of money. " And I so agree to this...

This post is so confusing for me but this interview was a lot to again, sink in and think about...:insane: And geez, it's big.

No, your post itself wasn't confusing, but you could have divided it into smaller paragraphs. It was a bit hard to read like that. :biggrin2:

I must say that you have good points here. I read the article yesterday, but I'm going to have to read it again today because I didn't understand all the words. :mf_rosetinted: Anyway, I wanted to say that the article left me feeling sad, I almost wanted to cry while reading it. Heck, I'm almost crying now when I think about it again. :blink:

It stunned me that Mika doesn't seem like he's over all the bullying at school. To be honest, I know how it feels like. I was been bullied for nine years and I'm still not completely over it, maybe I never will. But Mika. He has accomplished so much in life and he's only 25. He has already shown everyone what he's made of. I thought he wasn't going to let the past get in his way anymore.

In a way it's only a good thing that he has suffered, because he's now able to understand different points of view. But I don't understand why he automatically thinks that that makes him a freak. He's of course different; he's so kind and talented - but that doesn't make him a freak in my opinion. Or maybe I am a freak as well because I know how it feels like to be left aside? It's so easy to put different people into pigeon holes. Especially artists because they are more visible than busdrivers and office workers. Life's a never-ending school yard. Yack! :aah:

When I met Mika a week ago he seemed so genuinely happy to receive my gift. Had I done something like that for any other man - or woman - they wouldn't have understand it like Mika did. He looked at it as if thinking at the same time: "How can anyone do something like this for ME?" He was clearly in shock. He's still so humble and fragile - that's why I love his personality as well as his music. :wub2:

I assume that the last verse of Lonely Alcoholic is about Mika: "I'm a mediocre writer who sings all of the time -- I'm just craving to be heard." It's so sad if he thinks that he's mediocre and that writing songs is somehow a very selfish thing for thim to do. Yet again this shows how humble he is and never takes things as success for granted.

Oh, and I must say something about this quotation:

The EP tracks represent his more sombre and lyrical side - Toy Boy and Lady Jane, in particular, sounding as he describes them: "They're strange nursery rhymes... odd morality tales.

When I was writing the first record I made so many allusions to fairy tales and nursery rhymes," he says later that evening, "and the funny thing is that when you're 16 you read them again and realise they're the most violent thing ever. The EP allows me to explore that side. It's a bit Alan Bennett: you know, after Cinderella gets married, her husband has an affair, they get divorced, he keeps custody of the children, she loses all her money and ends up as a maid again."

My mom used to read me all sorts of scary stories when I was very little. Especially loads of stories by the Brothers Grimm. It's funny but I always knew how violent they were. It was very strange to watch the polished Disney films afterwards and see that the Little Mermaid, for instance, didn't turn into foam of the sea after all. Who's Alan Bennett? I think I have heard Mika mentioning him before, but I'm going to have to check out his work now!

When I first heard Lady Jane I thought it could have been one of Hans Christian Andersen's stories. I love it how Mika takes a bunch of these old fairytales and even comics and makes similar stories of his own. You just got to love Mika's bubble!

Edited by Marianne84

Nice post Marianne :original:

I thought the same thing about the Brothers Grimm's tales! I wrote something in the post I deleted by accident grml. It's true they're kinda violent sometimes. They are "fairy" tales, but they show how life is never all pink and happy.

But hey, fairy tales always have happy endings! Let's hope it's the same for Mika :original:

I read the article last night and I really really loved it.

When I'm only thinking that I have met him and talked to him 2 days ago makes me so happy.

I now finally realize what is the thing that makes me so happy for being his fan. HE IS STRANGELY FANTASTIC!!!:teehee:

No, your post itself wasn't confusing, but you could have divided it into smaller paragraphs. It was a bit hard to read like that. :biggrin2:

I must say that you have good points here. I read the article yesterday, but I'm going to have to read it again today because I didn't understand all the words. :mf_rosetinted: Anyway, I wanted to say that the article left me feeling sad, I almost wanted to cry while reading it. Heck, I'm almost crying now when I think about it again. :blink:

It stunned me that Mika doesn't seem like he's over all the bullying at school. To be honest, I know how it feels like. I was been bullied for nine years and I'm still not completely over it, maybe I never will. But Mika. He has accomplished so much in life and he's only 25. He has already shown everyone what he's made of. I thought he wasn't going to let the past get in his way anymore.

In a way it's only a good thing that he has suffered, because he's now able to understand different points of view. But I don't understand why he automatically thinks that that makes him a freak. He's of course different; he's so kind and talented - but that doesn't make him a freak in my opinion. Or maybe I am a freak as well because I know how it feels like to be left aside? It's so easy to put different people into pigeon holes. Especially artists because they are more visible than busdrivers and office workers. Life's a never-ending school yard. Yack! :aah:

When I met Mika a week ago he seemed so genuinely happy to receive my gift. Had I done something like that for any other man - or woman - they wouldn't have understand it like Mika did. He looked at it as if thinking at the same time: "How can anyone do something like this for ME?" He was clearly in shock. He's still so humble and fragile - that's why I love his personality as well as his music. :wub2:

I assume that the last verse of Lonely Alcoholic is about Mika: "I'm a mediocre writer who sings all of the time -- I'm just craving to be heard." It's so sad if he thinks that he's mediocre and that writing songs is somehow a very selfish thing for thim to do. Yet again this shows how humble he is and never takes things as success for granted.

Oh, and I must say something about this quotation:

The EP tracks represent his more sombre and lyrical side - Toy Boy and Lady Jane, in particular, sounding as he describes them: "They're strange nursery rhymes... odd morality tales.

When I was writing the first record I made so many allusions to fairy tales and nursery rhymes," he says later that evening, "and the funny thing is that when you're 16 you read them again and realise they're the most violent thing ever. The EP allows me to explore that side. It's a bit Alan Bennett: you know, after Cinderella gets married, her husband has an affair, they get divorced, he keeps custody of the children, she loses all her money and ends up as a maid again."

My mom used to read me all sorts of scary stories when I was very little. Especially loads of stories by the Brothers Grimm. It's funny but I always knew how violent they were. It was very strange to watch the polished Disney films afterwards and see that the Little Mermaid, for instance, didn't turn into foam of the sea after all. Who's Alan Bennett? I think I have heard Mika mentioning him before, but I'm going to have to check out his work now!

When I first heard Lady Jane I thought it could have been one of Hans Christian Andersen's stories. I love it how Mika takes a bunch of these old fairytales and even comics and makes similar stories of his own. You just got to love Mika's bubble!

Hi Marianne84 - Alan Bennett is a british writer - he wrote "The Madness of King George" as a play which got made into a film which won some awards, also "The History Boys". He is an amazing writer :thumb_yello:

Nice post Marianne :original:

I thought the same thing about the Brothers Grimm's tales! I wrote something in the post I deleted by accident grml. It's true they're kinda violent sometimes. They are "fairy" tales, but they show how life is never all pink and happy.

But hey, fairy tales always have happy endings! Let's hope it's the same for Mika :original:

But the thing is most of them don't have happy endings like their Disney versions. Let's hope Mika's will be a happy one though. :thumb_yello:

Hi Marianne84 - Alan Bennett is a british writer - he wrote "The Madness of King George" as a play which got made into a film which won some awards, also "The History Boys". He is an amazing writer :thumb_yello:

Oh, thanks! So did he write a sequel for Cinderella or did Mika just use him as an example?

Oh, thanks! So did he write a sequel for Cinderella or did Mika just use him as an example?

Apparently - although I didn't know until I tried to look it up - a very early work

"He finds his first published work, a Cinderella spoof, from the appropriately named Leeds school magazine, The Owlet."

From this review of a biography

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/backing-into-the-limelight-the-biography-of-alan-bennett-by-alexander-games-751851.html

I don't know if it was ever published properly later on - but if Mika knows it, it may have been.:thumb_yello:

im thinking u right :blush-anim-cl: but at the same time its mika i dont care he could have a black bin bag on and i would still love it. if u know what i mean :aah: but i get what ur saying mika could of done something like..... STAND THERE WIIH NO TOP ON, WITH BABY OIL ON LOOKING WITH THEM EYES AND LICKING HIS LIPS. OOHHHH YEAH MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:mf_boff:

Hahahahahah!!! you really made me laugh out loud!

Asking again : Any chance someone could get me the Observer Music Monthly? I neeeeeeeed it! It's a matter of life or death!!! lol

Apparently - although I didn't know until I tried to look it up - a very early work

"He finds his first published work, a Cinderella spoof, from the appropriately named Leeds school magazine, The Owlet."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/backing-into-the-limelight-the-biography-of-alan-bennett-by-alexander-games-751851.html

I don't know if it was ever published properly later on - but if Mika knows it, it may have been.:thumb_yello:

It would be fab to find the story somewhere if it's published. I'm a sucker for scary stories like that. :naughty:

I thought Mika was just generalising, and just happened to pull Alan Bennets name out of the blue.

Maybe he did know about it, try tweeting him, you never know he just might answer.

thank you blue eyes for posting your scans! :thumb_yello:

i didn't read the whole thread, sorry if i'm going to repeat things already pointed out :teehee:

i read the whole article and even if it is absolutely amazing, it made me nervous for how many times the journalist stressed mika's oddity! fortunately he didn't mean it in a negative way... or at least i guess so...

the cover is stunning, i definitely love it! it's catchy, and whether you like it or not (both the picture and the man), it makes you feel a pretty strong emotion, and that's the point imo

the bits on the new record and on his life left me speechless, i so love reading about him, his work, his ideas and the concepts behind everything he does!

the bit on cinderella is so funny! i've never heard that part of the story before... i wonder why... :roftl: