I wish Mika were openly gay

Toy Boy 88

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blaming it on the world we live in is a lazy argument.

I am not blaming anything on anyone because I don't think there is any blame that needs to be assigned here. Humans categorize and label because it is useful in terms of processing information and making judgements based on limited (or in some cases excessive) information. It is not a crime.

You can call it cliché and closed minded if you want but if most people are abiding by the same rules then these judgements are going to be accurate more often than random guesses. This is why people still make such assessments in the face of politically correct pressure not to. Because it works for them.

I was just on a message board today where some non-Mika fans who'd never heard of Luke Juby before stumbled across his picture. One of them joked that he must be straight because no self-respecting gay man would be wearing his watch and sporting his haircut. And you know what? They're right!

Maybe people have got Mika all wrong because he doesn't play by everyone else's rules...but so what? If Mika was so bothered by being wrongly labelled he would tell everyone the truth.

The harm here is not perpetrated by people who call his video gay or assume that he is not straight because of it. It's perpetrated by people who think there is something horribly wrong with being gay.

And saying that a straight man would not not be caught dead in a pink teapot scarf does not imply that there is something horribly wrong with being gay.

I dated someone who did not view homosexuality as anything negative. He wore a simple black shirt with a joke on it (that he'd invented himself) that lead people to believe he was gay. He would get strangers congratulating him on gay marriage being recognized in Canada, etc. He didn't correct them because he had no problems with anyone assuming he was gay and in fact liked the attention and being able to retell the stories.

But the day I met him he was having a light-hearted argument with his mother about the "gay scarf" she had given him for Christmas and how could she imagine he'd ever wear such a thing in a million years. His mother was arguing that the scarf was not gay and they brought it out for me to decide whether it was in fact gay or not.

His issue with the scarf was not that anyone would make horrible accusations of him being homosexual if he wore it. It was that clothes that people would stick the gay label on did not appeal to him in an aesthetic sense or as a way of expressing himself to the world, just as (in my experience) they do not appeal to most straight men.

That's how clothes get the label - because straight men won't wear them and everyone but my boyfriend's mother knows it.

Maybe things are different in your town but this is the reality in my world.

The question is, do we shrug and give a damn and tell young people to just eat it or die?

Just like it is not incumbent upon Mika to be a role model for teens it's not my job either. I'm not here to sort out the self-esteem of the world's teens, just to trade opinions about Mika's work.

I can toe a politically correct line and pretend that I and just about everyone I know do not make use of what you consider invalid clichés or we can have a frank discussion.

Just for the record: I don't want this thread to be shut down, not for the sake of the board, and sure not for the sake of Mika, he is a grown up and has a clear view on things. It's a worthwhile discussion IMHO.

I agree! :thumb_yello:

I am not blaming anything on anyone because I don't think there is any blame that needs to be assigned here. Humans categorize and label because it is useful in terms of processing information and making judgements based on limited (or in some cases excessive) information. It is not a crime.

You can call it cliché and closed minded if you want but if most people are abiding by the same rules then these judgements are going to be accurate more often than random guesses. This is why people still make such assessments in the face of politically correct pressure not to. Because it works for them.

I was just on a message board today where some non-Mika fans who'd never heard of Luke Juby before stumbled across his picture. One of them joked that he must be straight because no self-respecting gay man would be wearing his watch and sporting his haircut. And you know what? They're right!

Maybe people have got Mika all wrong because he doesn't play by everyone else's rules...but so what? If Mika was so bothered by being wrongly labelled he would tell everyone the truth.

The harm here is not perpetrated by people who call his video gay or assume that he is not straight because of it. It's perpetrated by people who think there is something horribly wrong with being gay.

And saying that a straight man would not not be caught dead in a pink teapot scarf does not imply that there is something horribly wrong with being gay.

I dated someone who did not view homosexuality as anything negative. He wore a simple black shirt with a joke on it (that he'd invented himself) that lead people to believe he was gay. He would get strangers congratulating him on gay marriage being recognized in Canada, etc. He didn't correct them because he had no problems with anyone assuming he was gay and in fact liked the attention and being able to retell the stories.

But the day I met him he was having a light-hearted argument with his mother about the "gay scarf" she had given him for Christmas and how could she imagine he'd ever wear such a thing in a million years. His mother was arguing that the scarf was not gay and they brought it out for me to decide whether it was in fact gay or not.

His issue with the scarf was not that anyone would make horrible accusations of him being homosexual if he wore it. It was that clothes that people would stick the gay label on did not appeal to him in an aesthetic sense or as a way of expressing himself to the world, just as (in my experience) they do not appeal to most straight men.

That's how clothes get the label - because straight men won't wear them and everyone but my boyfriend's mother knows it.

Maybe things are different in your town but this is the reality in my world.

Just like it is not incumbent upon Mika to be a role model for teens it's not my job either. I'm not here to sort out the self-esteem of the world's teens, just to trade opinions about Mika's work.

I can toe a politically correct line and pretend that I and just about everyone I know do not make use of what you consider invalid clichés or we can have a frank discussion.

I agree! :thumb_yello:

maybe it's just my problem. Do you know why pink is the 'gay' colour?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_triangle

For gay people the color is a important statement, at least for the ones in the know. The famous Rosa von Praunheim chose his name from that symbol and the pink lists associated with it (rosa is german for pink).

For me it has a wrong feeling when people say 'no straight would wear pink' (I know you did not say that, exactly, but still...). It sort of comes in from the wrong side for me, because it's not about a simple color that labels girlish/gay, as many think, but a symbol very consciously chosen by gay people. It gives me the creeps when it's banalized in a way (not that I am accusing you of being banal or careless, mind you. Not at all! It's rather being german and sometimes overconscious about it). I don't want people to get the impression that if someone fancies pink clothes he is gay as if this is inborn. This is the wrong way around! Maybe I should take it more lightly, but that is of course not your problem but mine.

Edited by harlequeen

A week or so ago my husband came home from the shops with a pink t-shirt he had bought for our holidays. As long as I have known him, I have never known him wear pink, but I like pink on men and he knows that, and he said he just fancied it! (Or perhaps he though I would fancy him in it :wink2:)

Well, he showed the t-shirt to our 7 year old son, whose immediate reaction was.."Dad, that is so gaaay!" What a strong association he made..not just that pink was 'girly', but that it was 'gay'. Children pick up all sorts of messages about what kind of behaviour or dress is perceived in their culture as 'gay', even at this young age.

In a way, the fact my heterosexual husband will be wearing a pink shirt is a very strong positive message to our son about not judging a book by its cover. And in a way, Mika, through his flamboyance and perceived 'gayness', is also challenging stereotypes. He may be gay, he may not, but we shouldn't necessarily assume he is just because he wears a cupcake scarf in a video.

The stereotypes exist, and that's reality, as Christine (I think it was?) rightly said. So when some of us say 'the WAG video is the gayest thing ever' (and I myself have said it, though not in front of my son I should add! :naughty:), we are referring to the stereotype and acknowledging it. That's not the same as believing it, although we may choose to draw our own conclusions from it.

Is "230lb football player" meant to imply "straight"?

I still don't think describing things as "gay" is helpful. Whether "everybody does it" or not.

But I'm glad this thread is back on track- I'm thinking a most of the arguments presented are interesting and well thought out

I like what he is doing (even thou the curiosity kills me).. I dont want him labelled, and if he is gay, i love gay people so it wont bother me, but it would ruin my fantasies hahahaha

:naughty: i so know what your talking about :biggrin2: i dont want my fantasies to be me and too men :teehee: mmmmmmmmm well might be fun :wub2:

This morning I saw a small part of a doc. about Barbra Streizand. In the beginning of her carreer people told her to do smt about her nose. She has always refused with the comment: "My carreer is about my music, not about my looks!"

I think the same argument counts for sexuality.

(I know: sh**ty english, but I hope you'll understand what I mean.)

If he were open about it, then I guess I'd know what its like to be in love with someone who is in no way attracted to your type at all. As long as he is still gorgeous, witty, perfect, talented, and funny, which he always will be, M can kiss anyone he wants because I'll still love him. <3

Well, he showed the t-shirt to our 7 year old son, whose immediate reaction was.."Dad, that is so gaaay!" What a strong association he made..not just that pink was 'girly', but that it was 'gay'. Children pick up all sorts of messages about what kind of behaviour or dress is perceived in their culture as 'gay', even at this young age.

:boxed: So bad...when I was that age, a bit older maybe, I didn't know what to be gay was. When somebody in my class kissed someone of the same sex, we knew it was strange 'cause it was different to all the things we've seen and been taught but we didn't thought it was something to be judged for. It was very hard some years later when I found out that apparently to my family and society it was incorrect and a shame.

It was not so long ago...just twelve years

But I see the things you mention with my brother, 'cause today there's much more information. Makes me think of my uncle's son, that for the usual question "What would you like to be when you're older?", he said "Gay" :naughty: and I'm sure he doesn't understand all the concept, maybe he saw it on TV and thought it was cool... So yes, I totally agree. Can't imagine how guilty could a kid feel if he's different in his manners or the way of dressing, not mentioning if he has the same instinct that I have when I was still at school.

Edited by Romis

I like the fact that he keeps it a secret. I always like a little mystery, and it's fun being able to listen to his songs and try and decipher what or whom he might be talking about (generally speaking). Most people think it's obvious, but I guess we never really know at the end of the day. :dunno:

See, all a fun little mystery :pinkbow:

However, I wouldn't hate him or anything if he decided to tell us. :naughty:

I like the fact that he keeps it a secret. I always like a little mystery, and it's fun being able to listen to his songs and try and decipher what or whom he might be talking about (generally speaking). Most people think it's obvious, but I guess we never really know at the end of the day. :dunno:

See, all a fun little mystery :pinkbow:

However, I wouldn't hate him or anything if he decided to tell us. :naughty:

100% agree :original:

I always like a little mystery, and it's fun being able to listen to his songs and try and decipher what or whom he might be talking about (generally speaking).

:thumb_yello:

It has always been one of primary argument against the coming out of musicians in general.....

I recently had a dicussion on this with another fan who, I think, is more 'for' it (and who is also online now - hello :biggrin2:) but she is from a more liberal country than where I am from.... :emot-sad:

My main argument against it was partly the possible limited interpretation of certain songs and also the fact that I just don't want to get the label 'gay artist' stuck next to any of my favourite singer / songwriter as this is not that label what defines them most....My experience is that in some parts of the world, even if radio DJs had never heard anything about an artist, news of such announcement would reach them somehow and the only info they could add to an artist name when playing a song is that the performer is admittedly gay....

However, IF IT IS NOT ANNOUNCED IT IS NOT TALKED ABOUT... :blink:

In some countries, like mine, for example, famous people who are gay immediately become a laughingstock as soon as they come out so very few of them do it. Even for established artists like Elton John, the fact that he is gay usually gets mentioned ...No ridiculation usually but I suppose coming out does not help building careers unless for some electropop acts whose main target group is the gay audience.

:thumb_yello:

It has always been one of primary argument against the coming out of musicians in general.....

I recently had a dicussion on this with another fan who, I think, is more 'for' it (and who is also online now - hello :biggrin2:) but she is from a more liberal country than where I am from.... :emot-sad:

My main argument against it was partly the possible limited interpretation of certain songs and also the fact that I just don't want to get the label 'gay artist' stuck next to any of my favourite singer / songwriter as this is not that label what defines them most....My experience is that in some parts of the world, even if radio DJs had never heard anything about an artist, news of such announcement would reach them somehow and the only info they could add to an artist name when playing a song is that the performer is admittedly gay....

However, IF IT IS NOT ANNOUNCED IT IS NOT TALKED ABOUT... :blink:

In some countries, like mine, for example, famous people who are gay immediately become a laughingstock as soon as they come out so very few of them do it. Even for established artists like Elton John, the fact that he is gay usually gets mentioned ...No ridiculation usually but I suppose coming out does not help building careers unless for some electropop acts whose main target group is the gay audience.

Yeah, I totally agree.

I find it terribly sad when I mention a certain singer and the first thing someone asks is "Oh, is he that gay guy?"

It should always be about the music, in my opinion. At least, for the most part.

I don't want Mika to be categorized like that. I just want him to be Mika.

I think Mika should do what he likes. If he wants to keep it private then he should keep it private, I respect that. I won't pry. I won't judge. I won't nick-pick. Mika is Mika. That's all I need to know.

I completely agree with her but a part of me hope he isn't gay or rather bisexual xD cause i've fall in love with him from the first second i hear him! It can seems crazy but it's true he's going in my deep with his songs and now i dream to be with him for the rest of my life...

Personnally, I imagine MIKA with no particular sexuality...

When I look at him, I just see a child :teehee:

He's singing like an angel, he is a pretty good musician and that is a very good point for him no to say which side he is because he can be loved by women AND men.

He doesn't say who he wants to love when he sings "love today" and that song is for any kind of audience...

He really understood how to earn points when he wrote a song like "Billy Brown", which is clearly talking about homosexuality ... And, on the other hand, he sang "Big girl you are beautiful" to be appreciated by all girls :thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello:WELL DONE MIKA, YOU ARE LOVED BY ANYONE :thumb_yello:

Personnally, I imagine MIKA with no particular sexuality...

When I look at him, I just see a child :teehee:He's singing like an angel, he is a pretty good musician and that is a very good point for him no to say which side he is because he can be loved by women AND men.

He doesn't say who he wants to love when he sings "love today" and that song is for any kind of audience...

He really understood how to earn points when he wrote a song like "Billy Brown", which is clearly talking about homosexuality ... And, on the other hand, he sang "Big girl you are beautiful" to be appreciated by all girls :thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello:WELL DONE MIKA, YOU ARE LOVED BY ANYONE :thumb_yello:

me too :blink:

whenever i talk to my family about him is alway refer to him as a 'boy' not a 'man' .

the boy who knew too much. completely innocent.

ok, well maybe not completely :angel_not: