Your reviews of TBWKTM

After my first listen I felt close to tears. For all it's commercial pop, it's terribly touching and conveys the hurt he felt so deeply. Heartfelt. It also reminded me of bits of that time in my life I didn't know I still remembered. It's a very odd feeling.

I only really find WAG and touches you commercial pop. :teehee:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone develop, like, a ritual for their first listen? :naughty:

I locked myself in my room and turned out the lights, and planted myself next to a big 'ol speaker. And I told myself I'd listen to the whole thing once through, with no repeats; that failed. I played Rain, GGG, and One Foot Boy more than once. :blush-anim-cl:

No I shoved it in my car and flicked through a few seconds of each song, then listened to a bit more of some, then nearly the whole thing, but it was the next day before I listened to the whole thing straight through.

I love it all! Just as good if not better than his first :D

I locked myself in my room and turned out the lights, and planted myself next to a big 'ol speaker. And I told myself I'd listen to the whole thing once through, with no repeats; that failed. I played Rain, GGG, and One Foot Boy more than once. :blush-anim-cl:

No I listened through them and had to cut off touches you, by the time, one foot boy and WAG off :blink:

Sort of a ritual <at least I was all alone, and locked up in my car> :naughty:

I drove a little over an hour this morning and was at the record store before they opened the door. So, I got to listen {for the first time} on my drive back. I too, told myself ONE TIME - ALL the way through <and too failed> :roftl: My repeats were Rain, GGG, and By the time. :wub2:

Since then, I have not stopped listening at all! I CAN'T listen to GGG without DANCING - I can't listen to Rain without singing *terribly* at the TOP of my lungs - and I can't take By the time off of repeat! It is SO amazing!!!!

All of the songs are A M A Z I N G - some have to 'grow on me' . . .

GGG (reached out and GRABBED me) the very first listen!!! As did By the time! I think those two songs are like the new theme songs to my life - one for the HaPpY times and one for the DeEp ones! :biggrin2:

I'll be completely honest, my fandom dwindled a bit over the last few months as i had a lot going on in my life and less time to go on MFC and listen to LICM etc...buuut.....

I. Am. In. Love. All. Over. Again.:wub2:

I'm so glad that his second album is fantastic like the first ;) It's different but i like it :)

I love TBWKTM!

I don't think I could review it with anything other than gushing!

I do agree with a lot of what I have read here.

I didn't think it would be possible for me to like it more than LICM but I do.

I agree Mika has grown or is expressing himself with more confidence.

It has been 5 days now that I have been listening to TBWKTM non-stop.

I still can't choose a favourite - I think that says how I really feel!

I can't even do a list of best to least - impossible - maybe soon, maybe not. Hahaha!

Congrats Mika!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

We Are Golden - Very epic, anthemic and the perfect way to kick off an album. What I feel drives this song is that it makes great use of the soft/loud dynamic, more so than in any other Mika song. Utilising TWO different choirs, you would think the song would end up sounding cluttered but they fit into the music seamlessly. The third verse is the best part for me, such excellent chord progressions and some of Mika's best singing.

Blame It On The Girls - A very instantly accessible song (most Mika songs are, to be honest), The hip-hoppy handclap-laden production gives it a diffenrent vibe from the live version, but in a really good way that sets it apart from anything Mika has done before. I LOVE how more and more instrumentation is added as the song progresses from the start of the verse to the end of the chorus - it seems to split the song into four distinct parts (he's got looks.../like lovers.../blame it on the girls who.../blame it on the girls, blame it on the boys) Upbeat yet laid-back - brilliant

Rain - One of my favourites on the album - it just makes me want to dance - and other people seem to like it the most when I show them some of Mika's new songs. Although I feared it may be overproduced when I heard the 30-second itunes clip, it's actually really sparse at the beginning and builds up excellently - in fact, to me it's probably the best transition from a verse to a chorus i've ever heard. Yes, the professional reviews are right, it IS reminiscent of Pet Shop Buys, but it's all the better for it. Many upbeat songs like this in the charts are a bit vacuous and lacking in depth but this just has such a lovely melody behind it, which is why it worked so well as an acoustic, slower song as well.

Dr John - My current personal favourite from the album (but my opinion is changing all the time), and this is because of the beautiful minor-to-major key change - it goes from a melancholy, reflective feel to a rousing, happy singalong just like that. It's such a pity that it won't be released as a single. More description of said Doctor would be nice, though! :teehee:

I See You - It gave me shivers when I heard this song being performed live on the Channel 4 special and it didn't disappoint on record. Haunting melody and lyrics combine to create what, for me, is Mika's best ballad yet (I never thought Happy Ending would be topped). I felt very empathetic towards the person speaking in the lyrics, as i myself am a shy 16-year-old and experience roughly the same thought process. This means that I connect with the song very well and therefore probably have a biased perspective on it - but hey, what does it matter - I love it

Blue Eyes - This is the first song which i only feel is good, rather than excellent (I had the same feeling about Any Other World on LICM - coincidentally it is also track 6, weird). Don't get me wrong, It has a very nice tune and a relaxing Afrobeat-y feel to it but I just don't get into the song on the same level as any of the ones before it - maybe it is over too quickly. Not a let-down, by any means, as I happily listen to it and enjoy it - it's excellent in the field of music in general - but my Mika standards are so high!

Good Gone Girl - Another one of my favourites due to the fact I think it tells the best story out of all the songs and is also one of the most catchy - I can't help but sing along to the chorus, especially the "dance, dance" bit :biggrin2:. It's lyrically somewhat similar to Lily Allen's "22" but more flowing and transitional. In any case, it's musically far superior. Like lollipop monkey, I don't like that the "she's walking around..." bit has been merged with the "oooh oooh oooh"s - the lyrics are really poignant at this point and I wish they were given their own space, at least during the first refrain, so that they could be more easily heard and felt by the listener. In fact, it's kind of wrecking my enjoyment of the song as I can't hear that part without thinking "if only..." Grrr!

Very sorry, but must go to bed now, school tomorrow. Will review other tracks and do overall summary and artwork tomorrow...

Still not got the album, ordered it from Mikasounds.:blink:

The 23 it will be out in shops in my country, what's the point with pre-ordering?:blink:

THAT is exactly what I thought!!!! And why I didn't pre-order! It would DRIVE me c r a z y knowing it was right there in the store . . and I had to wait for mine.

I just wanted to give a few little observations about TBWKTM in comparrason of LICM (don't worry, it's not going to be bad!)...

Trends between the two:

The first songs on both albums are really different from all the other songs on the album - Almost not really fitting but somehow FITTING.

The first and second on both are quite upbeat, the third on each are slightly more calmed down and emotional but still upbeat.

The fifth song on both are similar somehow though I can't place my finger on how.

And as I said on "Favourite song of TBWKTM poll thread" I find Pick up off the Floor is a little similar to the place of Over My Shoulder.

Kind of like they're both parallel versions of each other. Usually this would annoy me but I think the statements are different enough and the songs great enough for it not to matter.

I love how he's continued on with the LICM characters and added the others (the Mubbins, Good Gone Girl and Dr John).

Oh - There was Billy Brown who was missing on the first album and now the GGG is the one who's missing!

I wonder if the Good Gone Girl is involved with Billy Brown... Or if Billy Brown went away and found a surgeon who'd give him a little more than a snip :das:

Anyway, I think it's great all ip. It's familiar enough that I didn't have to listen to it over and over before I "Got" it but it was different enough that you can see he's grown in the last three or so years.

Like I said on Twitter this morning: Bravo Mika :wink2:

Oh yes, I totally did!

I closed my curtains :aah: (the neighbours already think I am a nutter) put the CD in the stereo and turned up the bass and treble full, and the volume high, and played it right through without stopping. For the first three tracks I danced around with a cup of coffee in my hand (:teehee: it wasn't full!) and by the time Rain was half way through I had a little tear in my eye :blush-anim-cl:. Because it dawned on me then I had been waiting for this moment for two and a half years!

Then I found myself sitting down for Dr John and I See You, before resuming the dancing: a bit of gentle shuffling to Blue Eyes accompanied by a wave of nostalgia for the SFS era (if we may call it that now!). Then a jig/sing along to GGG. Next came the first crucial moment, my first listen of a 'new' song, Touches You, right through. Full on shimmying ensued :aah:. Sat down for first full listen of By The Time, then back up for (ditto) One Foot Boy.

For some reason I can't remember Toy Boy. Maybe I went to the toilet :roftl:. Or I was tweeting someone about how marvellous it all was. . :teehee:

Then I sat, letting the full glory of PUOTF sweep over me, full body goosebumps when the orchestration kicks in near the end. Then back to dancing and singing along to Lover Boy, feeling like I was in the grand finale of a musical or something.

Phew!

It felt like I had listened to it just the way it was intended to be heard. Great!

I'm not going to do a play-by-play review on each of the songs individually because I don't think you guys would care to read it. :naughty:

Overall, I think it's a very good album! Very pleased with my purchase. I think the deluxe version is well worth it. I'm a sucker for live tracks, so this catered to my desires quite perfectly. The Andrae Crouch Gospel Chopir is just :wub2:. The packaging is great, I love looking at the art- I seem to notice something new each time I look at it. Out of 5 stars how many would I give TBWKTM? Is it possible to give more than 5? Yes? Well, I just did. :mf_rosetinted:

The only thing I wanted to see was lyrics, those weren't there. :huh:

Edited by iadoremika

I have my own ritual too. lol For highly anticipated records like this one, I just want to be at my computer with headphones. I love only being able to hear the music and looking through the artwork. I waited to listen to quite a few of the songs from the record, because there's nothing quite like hearing music you've waited a long time for and hearing it the way the artist intends it to be heard.

Kira's day ... In Relation to TBWKTM:

We Are Golden is the song that we've had for a while. Played it in the carpool on the way to school-- the boy we carpool with has heard it MANY times before so I can't say he was too thrilled.

Blame It On The Girls. Wow. I will swear by the fact that you cannot listen to this song without dancing. Even if you've got your iPod in your jacket sleeve during Chem class. :fisch:

Rain! This is TEXAS and it was a RAINY DAY! AND IT'S SEPTEMBER! This is a really huge thing for us--it was the best to listen to Rain while listening to RAIN.

Dr. John was the one that I walked through the school hallways and puffed along to my own trumpet on. OH DOCTOR JOOOOHNNNN!

We had a work day in one of my classes and I went out in the hallway and listened to I See You and got these INSANE goosebumps. I don't think it will be any other way.

At lunch break, we brought a portable iPod speaker and set it up on a bench. There's a courtyard at school that everyone eats in, but today it was raining so it was pretty empty. We did the MFC-invented Blue Eyes dance. :teehee:

Good Gone Girl! My friend's name is Georgia so I can't talk about this song without mentioning her. This is SUCH a great jam, especially now that I'm getting the lyrics... so I can annoy people with 'em.

Another major dance jam at lunch was Touches You. There was a little ass grabbing :rolls_eyes: Good thing there weren't a lot of people outside at lunch.

We walked INSIDE with the speaker playing By The Time. There are a lot of Imogen Heap fans at our school so we loaded a lot of them onto the Mika train with this track.

ONE. FOOT. BOY. I am addicted to this song. I listened to this during Latin class and mouthed the lyrics like a beach. Got some weird looks. Like I care.

Lastly, Pick Up Off The Floor is one that gets stuck in my head a lot. I don't really get it, but I think the falsetto is lovely.

That is Kira's really long day in the life of a boy who knew too much. :wub2: Am I allowed to say that I think this may be better than the first album?

Kira's day ... In Relation to TBWKTM:

We Are Golden is the song that we've had for a while. Played it in the carpool on the way to school-- the boy we carpool with has heard it MANY times before so I can't say he was too thrilled.

Blame It On The Girls. Wow. I will swear by the fact that you cannot listen to this song without dancing. Even if you've got your iPod in your jacket sleeve during Chem class. :fisch:

Rain! This is TEXAS and it was a RAINY DAY! AND IT'S SEPTEMBER! This is a really huge thing for us--it was the best to listen to Rain while listening to RAIN.

Dr. John was the one that I walked through the school hallways and puffed along to my own trumpet on. OH DOCTOR JOOOOHNNNN!

We had a work day in one of my classes and I went out in the hallway and listened to I See You and got these INSANE goosebumps. I don't think it will be any other way.

At lunch break, we brought a portable iPod speaker and set it up on a bench. There's a courtyard at school that everyone eats in, but today it was raining so it was pretty empty. We did the MFC-invented Blue Eyes dance. :teehee:

Good Gone Girl! My friend's name is Georgia so I can't talk about this song without mentioning her. This is SUCH a great jam, especially now that I'm getting the lyrics... so I can annoy people with 'em.

Another major dance jam at lunch was Touches You. There was a little ass grabbing :rolls_eyes: Good thing there weren't a lot of people outside at lunch.

We walked INSIDE with the speaker playing By The Time. There are a lot of Imogen Heap fans at our school so we loaded a lot of them onto the Mika train with this track.

ONE. FOOT. BOY. I am addicted to this song. I listened to this during Latin class and mouthed the lyrics like a beach. Got some weird looks. Like I care.

Lastly, Pick Up Off The Floor is one that gets stuck in my head a lot. I don't really get it, but I think the falsetto is lovely.

That is Kira's really long day in the life of a boy who knew too much. :wub2: Am I allowed to say that I think this may be better than the first album?

Yes you are! I think so too! I also think his next one will be better than this one... etc... etc. He will always continue to thrill us with his singing and song writing!

WE ARE GOLDEN

MY FAVORITE SONG!!! The first time I heard this song, I thought it was about me. I'm a teenager and I often feel the same things that Mika says in this song. We Are Golden makes me feel that I can do anything that I want:biggrin2:

BLAME IT ON THE GIRLS

This song makes me dance around the room :roftl: I love the rhythm of this song! The lyrics and the happy melody really make me think that I shoudn't complain about my life.

RAIN

This song also makes me dance:biggrin2: I love the way Mika says "when it rain rain rains..." and the rain sound in this song. When I listen to the lyrics I think about people around me try to "make me more ordinary". Sometimes it's hard because though I don't like what they do I know I need them...

DR.JOHN

I sometimes feel what Mika is saying in this song, such as "What am I doing wrong?" and "My life is over". This song makes me feel tht I am not alone. I want Dr. John to listen to my stories too! I love the "They say I'm a big heart breaker..." part .

I SEE YOU

One of my favorite songs! The way Mika sings and the arrangements are SO sad and beautiful:tears: Mika, I'll see you someday!!

BLUE EYES

I was feeling very sad when I heard this song for the first time, and thought this song had been written for me. The rhythm of this song is so unique! Is it just me that think that the way Mika sings is different from the way he sings it in Songs For Sorrow? I think he is singing more naturally in TBWKTM.

GOOD GONE GIRL

I love to dance to this song, though the fast part is hard to sing along for me, a non-native speaker:cheerful_h4h: I love the last part when two kinds of choruses comes together.

TOUCHES YOU

Mika can make so many different kinds of songs! I become so happy when I hear this song that I can't help dancing :roftl: I can't wait to hear it live!

BY THE TIME

This song reminds me of the sleepy feeling in the morning. Mika and Imogen Heap sings so beautifully... :blush-anim-cl:I love the rhythm and the "Don't wake up..." chorus.

ONE FOOT BOY

One of my favorite songs! I love the way Mika says "My oh my". The melody is happy but the lyrics are about hard times.I often feel what Mika says in this song when I am at school... but this song makes me feel "happy on my own" :wink2:

TOY BOY

This song reminded me of Harry Nilsson's Cuddly Toy. It is like a song that are played in Disneyland, but the lyrics are sad. I feel sorry for the toy boy :emot-sad:

PICK UP OFF THE FLOOR

I love the jazzy melody and the way Mika says "Put your heart back in your pocket...". This song encourages me when I feel forgotten by people.

Still not got the album, ordered it from Mikasounds.:blink:

The 23 it will be out in shops in my country, what's the point with pre-ordering?:blink:

I thought I was the only lonely one who still hasn't got the album! :roftl: I feel for you. :huglove: I almost lost my mind today when I REALLY expected the album to have arrived. :hair: I pre-ordered the deluxe edition from Play.com and it was shipped last Thursday. I held the standard version of the CD in my hands in two shops today as today was the release day in Finland. I didn't want to go crazy so I bought the same deluxe edition from iTunes a couple of hours ago. :biggrin2: I have listened to the album twice and I freaking LOVE it! :wub2: I'm now listening to Sadler's Wells gig - it's incredible to be able to live it again! :wub2:

Edited by Marianne84

I listened through The Boy Who Knew Too Much today, and I'm not going to give a song-by-song analysis in this thread (I'll save those thoughts for the individual threads!) but here are a few thoughts I had.

When I heard Mika's first album, I really enjoyed it, and the most resonant aspect of it was: it was nothing if not individual. At the same time, while there's resounding determination in it, I felt it was slightly timid; the cumulative impression left on me was one of unsteady footing with massive potential. So for me, what would determine the artistic success of this second album would be Mika's attempt to grapple with that.

Having now seen the Making Of (TBWKTM) interview, it's pretty clear that that was actually something Mika dealt with - he said it's a darker album, and particularly in We Are Golden he's celebrating reaching the end of "various complexes he's had over the years", as well as "getting where he is by doing what he wanted in the first place".

That, I thought, was the most resonant attribute within the album. It's darker, it's more mature, it's more developed and solid I think, both emotionally and musically. While I'm not actually keen on a couple of the songs, I think they all have their place on the album; some start testing new directions musically (Dr John, Pick Up Off The Floor) on much more steady footing. It's diverse, it's quirky, it's serious and it's forward moving. I also love that Imogen Heap features on it, as I adore her work and think the duet (a new direction in itself for Mika) is superb.

All in all, I didn't expect to like every single song, and I don't, but that's entirely beside the point as I think Mika achieved exactly what he needed to with this second album.

:thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Edited by Nollaig

I think irrespective of whether Toy Boy fits on the album (and musically it is in a whole other direction, granted) it's still one of the best things the man has ever composed, and as such belongs on an album which is essentially taking a step forward.

I think irrespective of whether Toy Boy fits on the album (and musically it is in a whole other direction, granted) it's still one of the best things the man has ever composed, and as such belongs on an album which is essentially taking a step forward.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a great song and it's a great composition with a great storyline. But it fits on the EP alone in my opinion, and not the album.