A question for people who saw Mika concerts in 2007, 2008 and 2009

mgpm

Hello there Alice!:wink2:

Now I have tried several times to find a link to your reports :biggrin2: but you are just kidding, right!

Please tell us more about experience at the gigs, I would love to read all about it!:wub2:

PIX MY SISTER TOOK DURING THE TRIP:

Interior detail: United Palace:

http://twitpic.com/ml4w8

Going to check the merch stand before the show:

http://twitpic.com/ml3il

http://twitpic.com/ml42e

How the "after show" thing was set up:

http://twitpic.com/ml35z

My perfectly RIDICULOUS ride to the United Palace:

http://twitpic.com/ml4ba

http://twitpic.com/ml4g0

http://twitpic.com/ml4j8

http://twitpic.com/ml4m9

"Christopher"--at our Hotel:

http://twitpic.com/ml3cy

Was ticked pink with his 'MIKA'-signed business card

when we surprised him with it the next morning!

Views from the LOBBY LOUNGE at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel:

http://twitpic.com/ml6du

http://twitpic.com/ml5jx

http://twitpic.com/ml5d2

http://twitpic.com/ml5s8

http://twitpic.com/ml650

http://twitpic.com/ml6du

Rest Room:

http://twitpic.com/ml85t

Edited by A. Clay

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He just gets better and better... I dont know how :wub2:

I saw him last in November, 2007 @ Doncaster. A brilliant night.

When he sang Big Girl he threw his jacket up and it got caught on the light :naughty:

hehe I have pics of that, I was front row center, I loved that gig :biggrin2:

He has grown a lot more confident and I'm very proud of him. If you look at the Koko gig and the Somerset House gig - which was done in the same year - you can see his confidence built a lot more within a few months. Then of course there's the DVDs he's released, you can see he's not only grown as a performer, but as an artist. He's an absolute workaholic and I admire how much he works because he doesn't stop until it's right. He's gotten more confident on TV as well. If I remember rightly, Jonathon Ross was his first major TV appearance this year (new record and stuff) and you could tell he was really nervous, but come Paul O'Grady with MFCers in the audience...he performed like he was actually at a gig and it's been happening since. Not saying we're responsible for making him feel more comfortable, but I do agree with Jazzy:

Well I totally agree with you here, and I think he DOES feel more at ease when he knows he has some of his MFC nutters (AHEM!!) fan base in the audience, cos as Marylin said, at Blackpool ( I was front row again) the audience participation WAS great for all the acts, but for MIKA.... well I am sure it gave him even MORE confidence to see MFCers in golden hats in front of him cos then he knew he was gonna have some good support, and I DO think he stole the show (deservedly so IMHO), he didn't just sing a few songs, he gave a mini performance :biggrin2: and I was sooo proud to be there for HIM that night (every night acctually but you know what I mean lol).

I only wish I could say something other than utter rubbish to him :blush-anim-cl: the guy just has a certain presence, even if he wasn't a performer, I think I would notice him in a crowded room cos I cant help it... he is undeniably beautiful to look at, and his nature just endeers itteself to you with both hands and has a vice like grip.

Does anyone notice that he's come a LONG way as a performer? When I first saw him in June of 2007 his dancing was a little stiff.... The music was ALWAYS great, but now he seems so relaxed and comfortable.

Anyone else notice this? I think it's great fun to watch him grow and evolve!

HE has!!!

I first saw him in March of 2007 and it is different!!! He looks more relax.

MIKA keeps becoming 'better and BETTER' -- which is exactly what

I had the pleasure to tell him in person after the NYC performance less than a week ago!

I'm so glad you got to speak to him Alice. I've spoken to him after my two Mika gigs too! He really makes you feel that you are the only person in the room with him and looks straight into your eyes! He is interested in what you say to him and that little bit of one-on-one time you share with him beats many of the long conversations you might have had with your friends. He is just such a beautiful man, with his looks of course, but more impoortantly, in his warm and generous personality and his humility. You just would not think he is this global superstar, but just the sweet considerate man that he genuinely is, when you talk with him.

I believe God put him on this Earth for a great purpose and he's fullfilling all of that. He's from the Middle East and the one thing that Israel and Lebanon agree on is, they LOVE LOVE MIKA. He's making so many people around the world, so happy.

I also feel he's grown tremendously and I am SO friggin' proud of him. I feel like he's part of my family or something and he's done so well...."look at him--that's MY boy!" kind of thing. :biggrin2:

That's exactly how I feel about him too :blush-anim-cl:

He is so different now from how he was at the beginning of 2007; sometimes it feels like that Mika and this Mika are completely different people and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a lot of nostalgia for the gawkier, slightly more earnest, less confident young man of three years ago. But that's all it is..nostalgia, because at the same time, I LOVE Mika's new found stage confidence and maturity. I love the fact I've been able to witness him develop not only as an artist but as a personality.

Sometimes his new dance moves freak me out a bit in the videos :naughty: but certainly when he is on stage the dancing makes perfect sense and adds a lot of individuality to his stagecraft. Nobody else dances like Mika, I think we can safely say that :naughty::wub2:.

YES! I first saw him at the Mod Club! :naughty: (Toronto, March 2007).

But that stage was eensy weensy tiny, and he didn't have much place to move. So being in front row was fabulous, because he was arms reach throughout the whole freakin' performance. :shocked: And his sweat drops kept falling on my arm. :teehee:

Confidence may also come from the fact that now he has a solid following and he really doesn't give a "f" if people don't like what he does (although he always said that anyway).

And the whole performance is a lot glitzier and more expensive since he's got more money too. :teehee:

When I first saw him live in May 2007 - he exceeded all my expectations from following him online!! :aah: He was amazing!! But he has definitely gained a lot more confidence, maturity, humility, wisdom & silliness all at once since then... I love this person he'd become even more... it's amazing how one can develop so much over 3 yrs. but I do miss certain things from the past though.. like his manky socks & manky All Stars!! silver shoes! Funky pink T-shirt.. Green trousers.. braces etc, but they're all just materials... & don't really matter... :aah: (though I do miss them).. I feel fortunate to have witnessed this along with you all. :wub2:

First saw him early 2007, and have to say I preferred it then. Too many gimmicks now, and the show's too "staged".

The first time my heart started to sink was at Paris Parc des Princes... If you don't play an instrument, don't sing particularly well, don't write your own material, don't look great onstage, or don't have bags of charisma, then fine, have loads of dancers and acrobats to keep the audience entertained. But someone as talented as Mika doesn't need them. Just him and the band is perfection for me.

He is so different now from how he was at the beginning of 2007; sometimes it feels like that Mika and this Mika are completely different people and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a lot of nostalgia for the gawkier, slightly more earnest, less confident young man of three years ago. But that's all it is..nostalgia, because at the same time, I LOVE Mika's new found stage confidence and maturity. I love the fact I've been able to witness him develop not only as an artist but as a personality.

The thing I'm happy and proud to say is that - although he has changed - at least I was there at the very beginning to witness the less confident Mika and see him evolve. Not everyone has had that privilege.

First saw him early 2007, and have to say I preferred it then. Too many gimmicks now, and the show's too "staged".

The first time my heart started to sink was at Paris Parc des Princes... If you don't play an instrument, don't sing particularly well, don't write your own material, don't look great onstage, or don't have bags of charisma, then fine, have loads of dancers and acrobats to keep the audience entertained. But someone as talented as Mika doesn't need them. Just him and the band is perfection for me.

His shows have always been "staged", even his acoustic. That's just what he is - theatrical. It's all Mika. Acoustic was very precious, because although some of it was staged, a lot of it was stripped.

The reason why they had all that at Parc Des Princes was because there was 55, 000 people there and I think you do kinda "need" a lot going on to keep people's interest...mainly the ones at the back. In my opinion.

Personally I adore all the theatrics. I think artists that take the time to do that stuff really care about giving their all to the fans. They want to entertain you!

I am busting buttons proud of Mika. He is getting better and better all the time. AND as Caz said, I'm over the moon that I was there to watch right from the very beginning!!!!

i'm so glad you got to speak to him alice. I've spoken to him after my two mika gigs too! He really makes you feel that you are the only person in the room with him and looks straight into your eyes! He is interested in what you say to him and that little bit of one-on-one time you share with him beats many of the long conversations you might have had with your friends. He is just such a beautiful man, with his looks of course, but more impoortantly, in his warm and generous personality and his humility. You just would not think he is this global superstar, but just the sweet considerate man that he genuinely is, when you talk with him.

I believe god put him on this earth for a great purpose and he's fullfilling all of that. He's from the middle east and the one thing that israel and lebanon agree on is, they love love mika. He's making so many people around the world, so happy.

love, love mika forever!

A part of me agrees with this :blush-anim-cl:.

I know a few fans from the early days - people who were regulars on MFC - who feel exactly the same as you and who just don't follow Mika any more. Fair enough.

If I am honest I think Mika is treading a very fine line right at the moment with the staging of his shows, and I hope he doesn't cross the line and make the props and gimmicks and costumes and theatrics more important than the music. For me personally it has always been about his voice and his musicality, with the visual aspect/artwork/stage gimmicks very much secondary to that, and that's how it should remain because as you rightly say, he doesn't need to hide behind gimmicks; he is hugely and uniquely musically talented and that has to be the focus :biggrin2:.

Edited by Gatagordinha

Oh don't get me wrong, I haven't - and am not about to - stop following him! I think I'm doing about 16 gigs on the UK/Europe tour (so far...!) and I love his flamboyance! I just think he's entertaining enough on his own not to need any extra embellishment! Although I do take the point about big gigs and people being at the back. Not that "the back" is a part of the venue I intend to be familiar with! :biggrin2:

Oh don't get me wrong, I haven't - and am not about to - stop following him! I think I'm doing about 16 gigs on the UK/Europe tour (so far...!) and I love his flamboyance! I just think he's entertaining enough on his own not to need any extra embellishment! Although I do take the point about big gigs and people being at the back. Not that "the back" is a part of the venue I intend to be familiar with! :biggrin2:

I didn't mean to suggest that YOU were giving up on him :naughty:, just that I know a few who have, for the reasons you mentioned.

I love his flamboyance too :wub2: and I basically agree with the bolded sentence in your post.

I didn't mean to suggest that YOU were giving up on him :naughty:, just that I know a few who have, for the reasons you mentioned.

I love his flamboyance too :wub2: and I basically agree with the bolded sentence in your post.

Who do you know who's left BECAUSE of that reason? :blink:

Who do you know who's left BECAUSE of that reason? :blink:

I don't want to name names but I have a couple of online friends who saw Mika loads in 2007 and who posted here, but who say (paraphrasing) that the whole Mika thing feels alien to them now with all the theatrics and 'gimmicks' and that they can't relate to it at all. They still have fond memories of the old Mika and of LICM but no desire to go and see his shows any more.

Possibly they have moved on from Mika for other reasons too but the 'staged show' reason was very significant indeed for them both.

I don't want to name names but I have a couple of online friends who saw Mika loads in 2007 and who posted here, but who say (paraphrasing) that the whole Mika thing feels alien to them now with all the theatrics and 'gimmicks' and that they can't relate to it at all. They still have fond memories of the old Mika and of LICM but no desire to go and see his shows any more.

Possibly they have moved on from Mika for other reasons too but the 'staged show' reason was very significant indeed for them both.

Oh gosh. That's so sad. But to be honest even his shows back then were theatrical. I don't really think his stage shows have changed THAT much, just his confidence...IMO.

A part of me agrees with this :blush-anim-cl:.

I know a few fans from the early days - people who were regulars on MFC - who feel exactly the same as you and who just don't follow Mika any more. Fair enough.

If I am honest I think Mika is treading a very fine line right at the moment with the staging of his shows, and I hope he doesn't cross the line and make the props and gimmicks and costumes and theatrics more important than the music. For me personally it has always been about his voice and his musicality, with the visual aspect/artwork/stage gimmicks very much secondary to that, and that's how it should remain because as you rightly say, he doesn't need to hide behind gimmicks; he is hugely and uniquely musically talented and that has to be the focus :biggrin2:.

I think it WILL always be about the music with Mika. But as I said before, I love his theatrics, which are all MIKA. The only reason he didn't have as much in 2007 was because he didn't have the money he has now. But if there are times when he puts on a huge colourful show, there will always be times when he just sits at the piano, singing songs like PUOTF and ISY, and those times will really stand out.

Tbh, if people stopped following Mika because he became more theatrical, then imho they never got him in the first place. to me, even in the beginning, I realised that he was a colourful catapillar who was destined to turn into an even more colourful butterfly once he found his wings. He is, now, doing just that!

wow so many of us saw him early 2007 huh?:wub2:

April 2007....:wub2:

And a few weeks ago at the same venue, Berns in Stockholm!:wink2:

Funny enough, the second time the gig was with only Mika, Martin and Cherisse drumming on a cardboard box because the stage was so tiny. I'm happy that he still does both, big shows and small acoustic ones!

april 2007 for me too. and yes, it is very treasured memories. still feels as nice and thrilling :wub2:

if I could make a "love comparison" the overexcitement of the first moments turned into solid sentiment and it's all still there :blush-anim-cl: