A question for people who saw Mika concerts in 2007, 2008 and 2009

mgpm

Does anyone notice that he's come a LONG way as a performer? When I first saw him in June of 2007 his dancing was a little stiff.... The music was ALWAYS great, but now he seems so relaxed and comfortable.

Anyone else notice this? I think it's great fun to watch him grow and evolve!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone notice that he's come a LONG way as a performer? When I first saw him in June of 2007 his dancing was a little stiff.... The music was ALWAYS great, but now he seems so relaxed and comfortable.

He has grown into himself. (Hope that makes sense) Confidence and I think he isn't taking himself so seriously.

Oh yes, I first saw him in March 2007 and he doesn't even seem like the same person anymore. I've even noticed a change in his movement on stage from June of this year. If the making of WAG video is any indication he's been taking dance lessons and it's starting to show. He seems very natural and comfortable. I really love watching him in these new shows.

I saw him at a little in-store thing on the day LICM came out and he seemed really nervous (in my opinion anyway). Then again in April, he did another one and he was on his own because Martin had just had a baby or something (well not Martin, but his other half, you know what I mean though) and he just seemed mega nervous about performing completely on his own with no Martin. And he seemed quite self depricating as well. When he said Martin wasn't there he said something along the lines of 'so you're just stuck with me' and even though he was joking you could tell it was a little bit of insecurity sneaking through.

NOW, however, and I especially noticed this at iTunes, he struts onto the stage, owns it, holds you like putty in the palm of his hand and keeps you like that for an hour and a half, before he leaves. Amazing difference. He is SO much more confident and he's getting whackier and whackier. I love it.

I think having fans there that he knows, if not by name, then at least by face at most of his gigs makes him feel confident as well - it assures him that he's doing it right because people are coming back time and time again and we're all on his side.

It's nice being able to see the development though. I think WAG had a massive impact on his performances though - he's more comfortable with himself physically and general feedback on the video has been pretty good so he knows people find his dancing endearing/funny/whatever rather than deciding it's something they can take the mickey out of.

"You know what ... this is how I've got here and this is how I'm going to celebrate the fact that I am here and keep doing what I wanna do for all the reasons that I've started doing them in the first place."

from TBWKTM making of vid, hv to quote this coz he sounded so so so confident:wub2:

:roftl:

I really dont have that much of a collection (his left buttock is really toned these days) :wub2::roftl:

dun worry, girls @mikagasmics must hv a BIG & COMPLETE collection of that:teehee:

He has grown a lot more confident and I'm very proud of him. If you look at the Koko gig and the Somerset House gig - which was done in the same year - you can see his confidence built a lot more within a few months. Then of course there's the DVDs he's released, you can see he's not only grown as a performer, but as an artist. He's an absolute workaholic and I admire how much he works because he doesn't stop until it's right. He's gotten more confident on TV as well. If I remember rightly, Jonathon Ross was his first major TV appearance this year (new record and stuff) and you could tell he was really nervous, but come Paul O'Grady with MFCers in the audience...he performed like he was actually at a gig and it's been happening since. Not saying we're responsible for making him feel more comfortable, but I do agree with Jazzy:

I think having fans there that he knows, if not by name, then at least by face at most of his gigs makes him feel confident as well - it assures him that he's doing it right because people are coming back time and time again and we're all on his side.

He is also not afraid to speak French anymore. In the earlier interviews he was always really scared he's make mistakes, now he speaks french very fluent!

I suppose he's got used to talking about his music in French, whereas before he wasn't used to it. He moved away from Paris while he was still young so his French probably remained at the same level as it was when he was a kid, and he may have forgotten bits, etc but now he's speaking it more regularly it's developing a bit more.

I suppose he's got used to talking about his music in French, whereas before he wasn't used to it. He moved away from Paris while he was still young so his French probably remained at the same level as it was when he was a kid, and he may have forgotten bits, etc but now he's speaking it more regularly it's developing a bit more.

Yep, and he has more confidence!

And with each interview, he seems to pick up on more words he's not familiar with, when he says them in English and he's told what they are in French.

He's definitely got more confident, since 07, and more daring too I think.

Yes I even started a thread about his dance moves, because I'm really excited at the transformation of Mika. At first he just jumped about a bit, and even then he was very good, but now he's comming more into his own skin, and feeling more comfortable, and as someone has said, more daring even!

I saw him in Brixton in 2008 and Blackpool this September. At Blackpool I had the unique advantage of being on the balcony, just above where Mika actually performed. I could see the crowd. They had all enjoyed Daniel M, Will Y, Newton F and Pixi L, who had given a great show and had had them clapping along etc.

Then out came Mika, and he OWNED the stage. Not to take anything away from the others, but Mika was beyond amazing. The crowd responded and no matter who they had come to see, they were eating out of Mika's hand in no time. He was funny, talking about feeling pregnant and giving birth to his album, and he did the splitting-down-the-middle thing in BIOTG. I was so proud of him, and his cover of faith was the best of the night!

I really can't get over how Mika is evolving into the greatest entertainer EVER (imho) and soon even the people who don't like his music, will have to admit that he is someone very special.

I also feel he's grown tremendously and I am SO friggin' proud of him. I feel like he's part of my family or something and he's done so well...."look at him--that's MY boy!" kind of thing. :biggrin2:

He is getting more and more polished. I have seen MANY concerts with some of them being of the greats....Prince (in his heyday), The Who performing Quadrophenia, Queen 2x, and the immortal Paul McCartney among others. Freddie was the greatest showman I've ever seen up until Oct. 18th, 2009. And you have to understand, I ADORE Freddie. But MIKA is just as good and has that same star quality and it's getting brighter and better each time I see him.

I have to say this too....I've NEVER seen a crowd react the way they did in Philly the other night. It was like a sing a long! I can't imagine what it must feel like to be Mika and have such a strong reaction to your songs like that....to have people know every word of every song, when your last CD just came out just a month ago. It was pure delight and joy.

Speaking of that....I've been on a buzz ever since the concert on Sunday. He does something to me when I see him, that just makes my heart so glad. I can't tell you what it is, because it's more than just enjoying good music, it's more than some romantic fantasy. I am attracted to him because he's handsome and talented and sweet as the day is long, yes. But it isn't even that. It's something about HIM, his music, his art, who he IS---it's like he puts off this vibe and it just resonates with me. Makes me feel dynamic, and happy to be alive. What ever "it" is---He has it in spades. God love him. :blush-anim-cl:

MIKA keeps becoming 'better and BETTER' -- which is exactly what

I had the pleasure to tell him in person after the NYC performance less than a week ago!

Oh ALICE---you got to see him this go round?

I'm SO glad.

I was worried when I didn't see you in Philly!

So glad you got to speak to him as well!!! :biggrin2:

U looked for me in Philly? wow!

I decided NYC this time so I could take the VAMOOSE bus there +

I personally prefer a seated, no-waiting-in-line scene.

I'm a lucky girl: batting three for three at seeing MIKA after three shows so far now.

You really have to prioritize what you want to say, because the time you have is very fleeting and you also tend to loose your wits when MIKA is standing in front of you.

This time, his little necklace man was also right in front of me as well!

If you haven't seen my "report" here's the link: see especially page 5!

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2597606&postcount=144

Edited by A. Clay

U looked for me in Philly? wow!

I decided NYC this time so I could take the VAMOOSE bus there +

I personally prefer a seated, no-waiting-in-line scene.

I'm a lucky girl: batting three for three at seeing MIKA after three shows so far now.

You really have to prioritize what you want to say, because the time you have is very fleeting and you also tend to loose your wits when MIKA is standing in front of you.

This time, his little necklace man was also right in front of me as well!

If you haven't seen my "report" here's the link: see especially page 5!

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2597606&postcount=144

Hello there Alice!:wink2:

Now I have tried several times to find a link to your reports :biggrin2: but you are just kidding, right!

Please tell us more about experience at the gigs, I would love to read all about it!:wub2: