No ***ing accident: MIKA SINGS HIS HEART OUT EVERY SHOW

Blue Sky

I totally agree, and also how he comes much more alive when he has an audience, and an fully supportive audience to, when he does tv for exapmle without an audience... I often feel like something is missing for him, after seeing him live a fair number of times, well...you can just see the difference can't you.:biggrin2:

I totally agree with you and I followed your twitter responses on the night of the comments which were brilliant.

But wasn't it good to see the outpouring of love and support for Mika?!

Anyone who has ever seen him live would know that he would never mime.

:clap:

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with using backing tracks to help create a layered sound for songs that demand it; I just don't understand why the layered vocal can't be achieved by utilizing the live vocals of the band members, notably Martin and Erika. :blink::dunno:.

I haven't watched all the YT recordings just selected ones but most fans must rememeber the fun we made of the first live performance of One Foot Boy ( in Toronto )when Mika was trying to do both the lead and the backing vocals:naughty: It was hilarious:roftl:

I think using backing track for that song is / would be particulary useful. (don't know if they did in CA as I had no time to watch it). They have already tried it live without it and it didn't work so I think there should be a backing track with Mika singing the other lines.

Oh no. I'm not bald. lol and forgive me if I side stepped the introductions. Do I have to?

It's just that I noticed the commotion last night and wondered what was going on exactly so thank you to the starter of this string for putting it in some order. :) And I don't normally post here but I just wanted to say.

Hi :bye: It is polite to do an introductions thread. Most people do :thumb_yello:

It is dangerous to post on a controversial thread as a first post. People don't know you, and might think you were a troll, or a bald-headed deaf person, who has only signed up to cause trouble. It has happened before, and it's not a nice thing. :wink2:

Calvin Harris, not so long back, talked about this, as someone accused him of something similar.

He said he used backing tracks to cover parts he couldn't sing as he was singing the main vocal, which makes sense I guess. But isn't that what the backing vocalists are for?

Backing vocalists can only do so much. Martin and Imma do good jobs, and because of their input there is no need for backing tracks on a lot of other songs, but some songs, I'm thinking here of One Foot Boy - I haven't seen it live but one of the first thoughts I had after I listened to it was 'which section will he sing live?'. I think a backing track is probably the answer because I don't think you could have one of those bits without the other, the high bit on its own would sound weird, as would the low bit, the same as the high bit on the chorus would sound odd without the 'one foot boy, one foot boooooy' going on in the background.

It's a tricky thing and I would bet a substantial amount of money on Mikahaving gone through half a dozen different ways of doing it before deciding on having a backing track. I think he's probably one of those artists where it's an absolute last resort.

Oh, seems like I missed all the fun again. :cheerful_h4h:

Just two thoughts:

1) Why not just take it as a huge compliment?

2) I can relate to putting your love and passion into something that's not valued in the end. I can see how this can affect you emotionally. But it's not the case here. It's not like something he created was turned down. It's only that the degree of perfection was so high, some just couldn't bear it.

Or maybe someone was in need of attention.

Okay, those were actually three thoughts.

I still don't get what the fuss is about. :dunno:

I totally agree. :thumb_yello:

Maybe we should all ignore this guy, he probably just really likes to get attention from starting discussions like this whilst they shouldn't exist. (not that that was a proper english sentence, but maybe some of you will understand it:teehee:)

Guest Still a Fan

hello... I just don't see what the big deal is that someone else has an opinion about this concert. That's why I call Perez a two year old. He's so childish in his reactions. Although he can't really help himself can he? lol My point is that Mika is fun! I like his music. I'm sure I would enjoy his concert, but the whole world can't be there can they? That would make the world a very boring place. :)

hello... I just don't see what the big deal is that someone else has an opinion about this concert. That's why I call Perez a two year old. He's so childish in his reactions. Although he can't really help himself can he? lol My point is that Mika is fun! I like his music. I'm sure I would enjoy his concert, but the whole world can't be there can they? That would make the world a very boring place. :)

I don't care if some people do not enjoy the concert.

What bothers me is that a guy calls himself a 'music analyst' yet he clearly cannot differentiate a live performance from a recorded one..That is revolting..:sneaky2:

Hello.

Of course we don't expect everybody to love Mika, but there's a big difference between not liking him and acusing him of lipsynching...

Guest Still a Fan
Hi :bye: It is polite to do an introductions thread. Most people do :thumb_yello:

It is dangerous to post on a controversial thread as a first post. People don't know you, and might think you were a troll, or a bald-headed deaf person, who has only signed up to cause trouble. It has happened before, and it's not a nice thing. :wink2:

Ok. (hopefully I got this quick reply right) btw.. the orange brown background was so much nicer. Who takes care of that? lol

You will just have to take my word for it that I'm not the bald guy. :) Just from reading what he wrote he doesn't strike me as the type to come on here and have to defend himself. I could be wrong tho, but I doubt it. :)

You consider it childish to defend a friend, do you?

I don't I'm afraid!

And like I said, I don't always agree with things Perez says, but in this instance I do.

Have you not been to a concert yet then?

surely everyone's entitled to an opinion. I strongly believe in that. :thumb_yello:

acceptance and democracy are the key to freedom and it's not rethorical.

those tweets though, didn't express an opinion about mika's voice/gig/talent: they said he was miming and lypsyncing. that's another story: that's either true or not. and that's what people who was there and who saw mika dozen times elsewhere (including myself) object to. :wink2:

Guest Still a Fan
Hello.

Of course we don't expect everybody to love Mika, but there's a big difference between not liking him and acusing him of lipsynching...

I would imagine it would be tiring being up there and putting on that show. With the get ups and all. Who is the real Mika anyway? I've seen his videos, his live performances (on video) they are much more not like the video and laid back. Didn't he say he liked it that way? Ohhhh.. I have to go, I'm not getting anything done! Nice chatting with you all. :)

Guest Still a Fan
surely everyone's entitled to an opinion. I strongly believe in that. :thumb_yello:

those tweets though, didn't express an opinion about mika's voice/gig/talent: they said he was miming and lypsyncing. that's another story: that's either true or not. and that's what people who was there and who saw mika dozen times elsewhere (including myself) object to. :wink2:

Yes, I saw his tweet where he said he didn't mime. Forgive me.

He is not bald. He is deaf. That's the point... :cool:

Damn right :naughty:

That a--hole wouldn't dare posting here, would he ? :naughty:

We've had stranger things happen here before, believe me :roftl:

As others have already said, it's a BIG deal. It's called defamation. It's posting lies about a person which can compromise their professional reputation.

It's a freaking HUGE deal. It's NOT an opinion. An opinion would have been that he doesn't like his music, or his show, or his voice, etc. Fair enough, that is cool. But accusing him of miming and of the whole show being on hard disk is just crazy. And comparing him to Britney and Madonna who can't sing for their life? This is madness.

I'm not trying to be rude but I am actually wondering if you have read the blog at all. I don't understand how you can defend it if you have.

Hello.

Exactly

And again, that's exactly it. It's accusing him of falseties, spreading rumours, and then allowing other morons who can't be bothered to check him out for themselves to form an (inaccurate) opinion of his talent and shows. It's very unfair and wrong.

There is a very distinct and powerful tone to Mika's falsetto - I've never heard anyone sing quite like that, in terms of freedom and power, although I've listened to many classical counter-tenors/male altos/male sopranos, as well as "pop" falsettists such as FM, BGs etc.I know Martin can sing high, but not quite like that, I think. It could be sung by the female backing singers, but it would sound very different in tone and effect - not as thrilling.

I can see why Mika uses these tracks, but it does risk misunderstandings - particularly on TV when people half expect trickery to be the norm. I noticed it on the live Jools Holland Rain - it looks odd at the end :blink:. Of course, I know he is not miming when he sings duets with himself because I am a fan, but I can see why others would be suspicious on TV. Not live though, the bald deaf guy is clearly an idiot.

To the first bolded paragraph: Yes, that is exactly what Imake of it. He could do so, but it wouldn't sound right, hence why he uses his own voice. I did notice that when he had Dan as a bassist and Alex as backing for the summer tour he used them a lot, and although he wasn't doing the new songs (which are more complexly produced this way) the backing voices were quite a huge part of the songs.

I think that Dan and Alexander's voices were the ones he's had that go best with his own voice to do backing singing-IMO Martin never sounded equally good, and of course the girls are great for female parts but not for the 'second Mika' parts :teehee:.

This is why I was left a bit confused and worried when I heard the songs on the cd: I could picture how hard it would be for them to translate to live show.

Second bolded line: Mais oui :naughty:

Backing vocalists can only do so much. Martin and Imma do good jobs, and because of their input there is no need for backing tracks on a lot of other songs, but some songs, I'm thinking here of One Foot Boy - I haven't seen it live but one of the first thoughts I had after I listened to it was 'which section will he sing live?'. I think a backing track is probably the answer because I don't think you could have one of those bits without the other, the high bit on its own would sound weird, as would the low bit, the same as the high bit on the chorus would sound odd without the 'one foot boy, one foot boooooy' going on in the background.

It's a tricky thing and I would bet a substantial amount of money on Mikahaving gone through half a dozen different ways of doing it before deciding on having a backing track. I think he's probably one of those artists where it's an absolute last resort.

Bingo, and exactly what I thought when I first heard the song. Particularly this one and Touches You.

The thing is, I can see why Mika does it, and that he wants it to sound spectacular and as grand as the actual cd, but IMO he would sound so beautiful if he just did it using his own lead vocal only and maybe even do like a little a capella bit.......It would make a nice variation on the song, and make it radically different to the cd, which is often a good thing and something that makes live shows so unique.

Thanks for this explanation thread!

I have yet to read the whole thing, I didn't come further than page 2 at the moment.

I'm a bit scared that this idiot-blog will come through to the real press, and that they will make a big thing about it. I can already see/ hear people telling me that Mika mimes at his concerts.....And then I have to start defending him. And I sure will!!!

I will be back on this issue for sure.

Thanks BS for clearing this up. I knew something had happened, but not the extent of it. It doesn't help being in a different time zone.

I am sure that Mika and his management know how to deal with this.

It's great to see Mika's friends and admirers supporting him.

Anyone who has seen Mika live will know that this is the biggest pile of bull**** ever written.

I know I am biaised, but I have also met many people at the gigs I have been to for whom it was their first gig, or they had attended with someone else and weren't a fan themselves, only to leave the theatre raving about Mika and his talent.

This guys's comments are unjustified and uncalled for and probably contravening a law or two.

So easy to criticise. I wonder how good he is at his job? If his comments are anything to go by, pretty bad I'd say.

Ok I am just going to lapse into profanties. What a ****ing no hope ****er this tosser is. If I ever meet him I will ****ing knock him into next week, the ignorant ****er.

I'm not particulary effusive about all things Mika, not my style but I just love him and his music. I didn't think I could feel like I did in 2007 again, but with the new album and gigs I do.

He is just exceptional.

I hope he sues this guy.

Bingo, and exactly what I thought when I first heard the song. Particularly this one and Touches You.

The thing is, I can see why Mika does it, and that he wants it to sound spectacular and as grand as the actual cd, but IMO he would sound so beautiful if he just did it using his own lead vocal only and maybe even do like a little a capella bit.......It would make a nice variation on the song, and make it radically different to the cd, which is often a good thing and something that makes live shows so unique.

Yeah, One Foot Boy and Touches You would both have been very tricky to work out. I thought One Foot Boy could have worked well in the way that Happy Ending did earlier on, where they had the 'this is the way you left me' bit twice, so he sang the 'Oh I........' bit on what would have been the first run of that, and then actually sang the 'this is the way you left me' bit on the second run if that makes sense? So for One Foot Boy it would have been the high bit, and then the 'one foot boy, one foot booooy' bit on the repeat.

I'm explaining it in a very roundabout kind of way, but he repeats a lot in his choruses so he can sing both bits but one after the other.

I like it when songs sound radically different live - Any Other World is possibly one of my favourite songs to see live, but I rarely listen to it on CD. It's the piano that does it for me, as opposed to that low, electric piano/organ thing he has on the CD. Just doesn't cut it.

However, having said that, there will be a lot of people who go to see him who expect things to sound the same (and therefore as 'good') as the record, and if he left sections out, they'd probably end up walking away with the opinion that he's a bit rubbish because they know nothing of the practicalities of music.

There's no shame in him using backing tracks, at all. I don't mind. I would probably prefer it without, but it probably helps to fill the venue more, especially if it's a large one. Sometimes a single vocal can sound a bit thin without any backing.

Thanks BS for clearing this up. I knew something had happened, but not the extent of it. It doesn't help being in a different time zone.

I am sure that Mika and his management know how to deal with this.

It's great to see Mika's friends and admirers supporting him.

Anyone who has seen Mika live will know that this is the biggest pile of bull**** ever written.

I know I am biaised, but I have also met many people at the gigs I have been to for whom it was their first gig, or they had attended with someone else and weren't a fan themselves, only to leave the theatre raving about Mika and his talent.

This guys's comments are unjustified and uncalled for and probably contravening a law or two.

So easy to criticise. I wonder how good he is at his job? If his comments are anything to go by, pretty bad I'd say.

Ok I am just going to lapse into profanties. What a ****ing no hope ****er this tosser is. If I ever meet him I will ****ing knock him into next week, the ignorant ****er.

I'm not particulary effusive about all things Mika, not my style but I just love him and his music. I didn't think I could feel like I did in 2007 again, but with the new album and gigs I do.

He is just exceptional.

I hope he sues this guy.

It's either libel or defamation - I can't remember which. Perhaps I should have listened more in my media ethics classes, but it's definitely one of the two. Mika could probably sue if he wanted, but it'd be a bit petty and he'd probably only get a toupé out of it. :roftl:

Thanks for that, BS, it certainly does give a really good insight into the whole argument and why it escalated so much.

It is food for thought though. It's pointless for me to say that I love Mika and that he's super talented, and his voice is incredible, as that is something that we all know, and experience on a regular basis at his gigs, but when I read this guy's blog one thing did make me think.

When I first heard this record, TBWKTM, I had a little voice in my mind bugging me, thinking: "how on earth will he do songs like Touches You or One Foot Boy live, where he has a few "layers" of his own voice singing different lines at the same time? I don't know what the technical term for this is, so excuse my explanation, but I hope that people know what I mean. These songs are far more 'produced' than a lot of his earlier work, and I wondered how this would translate into live.

Basically it worried me that the songs would sound really weird and bad live, (well, as bad as a song sung by Mika ever could!!) but just if they would sound too different to the actual record.

I was very curious to see how they were going to resolve it, and when he did the songs in Toronto I found it funny that there was a clear background track played with the backing vocals sung by Mika, as this guy says.

Now, don't get me wrong, of course I think that this guy is a total a**hole, there is no question of that. And that Mika is a true, incredible talent, with a voice and artistry that very few current singers can match. That's not the point here. And this guy is totally wrong and accusing Mika of things that he's not guilty of, when he says that he was hardly singing live, and that there were no instruments played, etc. It's all utter bull5hit.

The point that I'm trying to make is that he has a small point there. In these two songs (at least) the pre-recorded backing tracks are there, and they are very prominent. Much more so than in any of his old songs, when he toured with LICM.

And I personally would have liked it to be less 'perfect', and for him to sing the songs as they are, without the pre-recorded backing, because it would be more real, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I was baffled by how he would sing the "my oh my" during One foot boy, :roftl:

I don't understand why we ignore this guy, if he knew a shred of what he was talking about he'd be pretty knowledgable to the fact that Mika doesn't lip synch and is an obvious non-lip syncher (he changes the words...doesn't sing certain lines in grace kelly..etc.) :thumb_yello:

It's either libel or defamation - I can't remember which. Perhaps I should have listened more in my media ethics classes, but it's definitely one of the two. Mika could probably sue if he wanted, but it'd be a bit petty and he'd probably only get a toupé out of it. :roftl:

Hmm, a toupe, you say? Might come in handy later. :naughty: