The Unbearable Frustration of Being Mika (at the Palladium)

Fangirl

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this person has any idea what Mika wants!!

For one thing as Mika does move to larger venues I think it will be Mika that wil NOT lie them.

Mika is a showman & a vibrant & amazing performer.

He will only lose when the venues grow bigger & bigger.

Look at any youtube vids & you see the connection he has with the people - his people.

He will lose that when most of them have to watch Mika on a screen to see him.

No doubt Mika will put on amazing "big" shows but they won't be what all of us & him love now about his performances.

Actually I don't agree with anything this writer said.

I just wouldn't waste my time responding, but let the blog and this thread die off, but that is just me.:teehee:

They usually follow up with comments like, oooo Mika fan club is onto us now, watch out, here come the middle aged/high school Mika fans etc etc.

So I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of being noticed.:mf_rosetinted:

I always find it sad those people don't have anything more constructive to do than write stupid articles like that. :shun: Seriously, who cares what they have to say. We have our own opinions thank you.

I do like those pictures though.:biggrin2:

What all these critics don't seem to be able to cope with is Mika's sheer versatility. They expect him to have a "sound", but don't seem to realise that Mika's gift is that he can turn his hand to any musical genre and produce good music.

I don't think he wants to be a big stadium artist either, we know how much he loves audience reaction.:naughty:

I totally agree. I also think this could be the biggest single reason why Mika is still, and may always remain, an outsider in the industry. I also think it's the reason he still hasn't been taken to people's hearts en masse here in the UK (and elsewhere, maybe). People like to pigeonhole, to give an artist a label, a genre, a sound, so they can understand them and manage them and identify with them. Mika confuses people and many reject what they don't understand.

His versatility is his real gift, that's so true, but it may also prove to be his greatest obstacle to further success and recognition :shocked:. Not that we who love him care about that of course, we get to keep him in smaller venues and up close and personal for a lot lot longer :biggrin2:.

Thanks OP for the review (I LOVE that pic of Mika and Jimmy :wub2::mf_lustslow:)

I just wouldn't waste my time responding, but let the blog and this thread die off, but that is just me.:teehee:

They usually follow up with comments like, oooo Mika fan club is onto us now, watch out, here come the middle aged/high school Mika fans etc etc.

So I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of being noticed.:mf_rosetinted:

I wouldn't normally bother too much, but when they start saying things like, "he's miming" I feel the need to stick up for him.

If those people were at the concert I think they must have been at the wrong concert, unless true talent confuses them.

But I do wish Mika could get bigger, sales-wise in America and over here. It's terrible when he's called "a wanabe popstar," when we know he isn't. But because the sales are not as good as, say, Lady Gaga's sales, they feel they are justified to say that. That's why I wish more people in UK and US would buy his records and get to know the real Mika,

Interesting ...

he said this ?

"Mika thanked them for their support, though he followed the appreciation with a frustrated dig at his US record label (the revived Casablanca Records within the Universal umbrella) for failing to make his career go supernova"

Wow :shocked:

Really? :blink:

Interesting ...

he said this ?

"Mika thanked them for their support, though he followed the appreciation with a frustrated dig at his US record label (the revived Casablanca Records within the Universal umbrella) for failing to make his career go supernova"

Well good for him! He works his butt off for them and they can't even do their job right!

I feel like I've read articles like this so many times and the only opinion I have of the writer is that THEY DON'T GET IT.

They don't get that Mika ISN'T doing it all for fame. It's art for art's sake and money is just another perk.

Also, I feel like this article was trying to draw conclusions about Mika and his career from his lyrics. I mean, I know that was the theme of the article... but REALLY? He says that Mika is an "unhappy prince" but I've seen him perform live (and, you know, on Youtube) and he fills the place with nothing but an intense, joyful, soulful, and poppy air even if the lyrics he's singing are from the mind of a desperate, angsty, confused, adolescent. That's the beauty of watching him perform- you can tell that he just LOVES WHAT HE DOES.

Whoever wrote this seems to embody American ignorance. Just because HE, being in Hollywood, hasn't heard much of Mika doesn't mean that he's some struggling artist. On the contrary, I feel like he's pretty damn popular and well-loved.

Also, I don't like the way he throws around the term "gay" to describe Mika's music. Of all the adjectives to use, this journalist decides to use "gay"? Um... hyper? Poppy? Flamboyant!?

No, gay. Just... gay.

Oh, and he's not an expensive prostitute; he's a diva. Get it right.

I feel like I've read articles like this so many times and the only opinion I have of the writer is that THEY DON'T GET IT.

They don't get that Mika ISN'T doing it all for fame. It's art for art's sake and money is just another perk.

Also, I feel like this article was trying to draw conclusions about Mika and his career from his lyrics. I mean, I know that was the theme of the article... but REALLY? He says that Mika is an "unhappy prince" but I've seen him perform live (and, you know, on Youtube) and he fills the place with nothing but an intense, joyful, soulful, and poppy air even if the lyrics he's singing are from the mind of a desperate, angsty, confused, adolescent. That's the beauty of watching him perform- you can tell that he just LOVES WHAT HE DOES.

Whoever wrote this seems to embody American ignorance. Just because HE, being in Hollywood, hasn't heard much of Mika doesn't mean that he's some struggling artist. On the contrary, I feel like he's pretty damn popular and well-loved.

Also, I don't like the way he throws around the term "gay" to describe Mika's music. Of all the adjectives to use, this journalist decides to use "gay"? Um... hyper? Poppy? Flamboyant!?

No, gay. Just... gay.

My thoughts too - the whole point of the songs from TBWKTM is that they are supposed to be reflecting the rollercoaster adolescent mind. Despair and exhilaration are just what Mika wants to convey. But the writer doesn't get that at all.

What all these critics don't seem to be able to cope with is Mika's sheer versatility. They expect him to have a "sound", but don't seem to realise that Mika's gift is that he can turn his hand to any musical genre and produce good music.

I don't think he wants to be a big stadium artist either, we know how much he loves audience reaction.:naughty:

It's a very interesting review. I hope it's wrong in all the negative aspects. I hope we have a better picture of Mika and his talent, and even his ambitions.

That said, I did read someone's post a while ago saying that the sales for TBWKTM hadn't been good in the UK. Is that true? I thought we got him to number 4. Isn't that good in the current climate?

Interesting ...

he said this ?

This was the bit that's been getting at me since I read it this morning. Unless he's got some insider knowledge, I'd be v-e-r-y surprised if he accused his company of failing him!

well, they noticed he is attractive?

and, we don't care:mf_rosetinted:

then, blah blah blah not good enough

seriously, he does his thing- we likey- he does more- we still likey, critics beware, offend our boy, we bay for blooooood!! :lmfao:

x

well, these are nice times for our boy, aren't they? forced on one foot, accused of being a miming, lypsyncing expensive prostitute.

not bad all in a week. :mf_rosetinted: that should score pretty high in the range of compliments :teehee:

I know the poor sweetie :aah::blink: I just wanna give him a big ol' hug :huglove: they're not being very nice of late are they to him

well screw American loser journo's & reviewers etc they suck like a dyson cyclonix (a powerful vacuum cleaner) I think they are just useless and don't know talent when they see it they don't understand him or "get" him

screw them I don't care what those loosers think we love him here in his "adopted" home land

that "review" if you can call it that was stupid & sucky

The idiot obviously has no idea what he/she was talking about

half complimentary half insulting half utter b*llocks:sneaky2::aah:

ignore these idiots Mika is all I can say

you're better than them sweetie:wub2:

Edited by DarkLight

well, they noticed he is attractive?

and, we don't care:mf_rosetinted:

then, blah blah blah not good enough

seriously, he does his thing- we likey- he does more- we still likey, critics beware, offend our boy, we bay for blooooood!! :lmfao:

x

indeed we do so beware rawrrrrr:teehee:

No, gay. Just... gay.

i have to say i agree with you!:thumb_yello:

Interesting ...

he said this ?

I can't remember :dunno:

No, gay. Just... gay.

Damn right :naughty::thumb_yello: