You think the next single should be TOUCHES YOU?

Sivan

Should "Touched You" be the next single?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should "Touched You" be the next single?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Relax and Lollipop as a double A-side (I think)

Lollipop was really a single in Europe. The re-release of Relax was only in the UK.

Exactly... that's why I said if a single, perhaps a safe choice in the US where they basically stopped playing George Michael in the 90s and now general public does not really remember him. In Europe he is still on the radio and on tv so most people would start comparing.

I had friends who do not like GM at all yet they said right away that the song reminded them of FF... As for me, I 'hear' 3 GM songs in it:teehee: - not directly, though, so it is not 'theft'. Still, because of this, the song has an 'aftertaste' for me...

:thumb_yello:

I think I See You has a much bigger commercial potential and it is also shows a different side of Mika that non-fans have not heard yet...Therefore, it MUST be a single.

I think they've pretty much heard that side with Happy Ending.

But that one didn't do too well here.

It is far and away my favourite track on the album, I absolutly Love it and just can not wait to see it live. However, I totally agree with Bab and Sara that (ceratinly in the UK anyway) Mika would be accused of sounding too much like GM. I would LOVE to hear it on the radio but can just imagine some of the negative comments:shocked:

I think, from a purely professional point of view, that this one out of all the songs on the album would be most likely to be a hit. Seeing that the album hasn't done astronomically well like it should, he needs to start kicking up his sales pitch a notch. Touches You is just so goddamn catchy...and I can really imagine it on the radio...

i think GGG would do WAAAY better :huh:

Me too I think this is way catchy and would sound great on the radio.

So that's it in a nutshell.

We all have differing opinions.

As for professional opinions, Mika must have one himself, yet he has still released tracks that weren't big hits. :wink2:

Me too I think this is way catchy and would sound great on the radio.

So that's it in a nutshell.

We all have differing opinions.

As for professional opinions, Mika must have one himself, yet he has still released tracks that weren't big hits. :wink2:

Yeah, and i'm sure most of our opinions are based on how we think our region of the world would react, of course where I live I know Touches you probably won't be a hit with my age group, but maybe in France it will!

He can't please everyone :roftl:

I wish rain was more popular here, as with BIOTG but I know people who like it so it'll hopefully get better.

There will NEVER be another grace kelly though, that song is just...legend :naughty:

yeah... i think so too... i was born on 80 so i did hear a lot of GM... but still it wasnt the first thing that came to my mind... i didnt think Mika sounds like Freddie on Grace Kelly either.... i heard it more after hearing the critics... (maybe im not very good at that lol) or Maybe im not trying to compare mika to others... i just enjoy HIM and his songs... and like Inbar says... TOUCHES YOU is catchy... and people love that... ( i personaly dont like many of the catchy songs on the radio these days, but i think Touches you is not just another one of those... its MIKA! and he knows how to make a song special).

Its catchy with a twist! lmao (no idea what im talking about now...i just think its great!) :naughty::roftl:

I was born in 71, and maybe that makes all the difference...:blink: He was with Wh.am since 81, and then his solo album Faith came out in 87, which really sort of catapulted him even more into stardom.

When I was a teenager we all bought his records, watched his videos (I want your sex caused a right stir :roftl:) and in general, just obsessed about him. I guess that, when you're 13 or 14 you get to hear it a lot more than when you're a child, it sort of becomes part of your social and musical life if that makes sense, and it stays more in your mind?

To me there was no question at all that this song was very reminiscent of the GM sound, the first time I heard it, and shortly into the song.

Exactly... that's why I said if a single, perhaps a safe choice in the US where they basically stopped playing George Michael in the 90s and now general public does not really remember him. In Europe he is still on the radio and on tv so most people would start comparing.

I had friends who do not like GM at all yet they said right away that the song reminded them of FF... As for me, I 'hear' 3 GM songs in it:teehee: - not directly, though, so it is not 'theft'. Still, because of this, the song has an 'aftertaste' for me...

:thumb_yello:

I think I See You has a much bigger commercial potential and it is also shows a different side of Mika that non-fans have not heard yet...Therefore, it MUST be a single.

I agree, Suzie. I also hear a few of GM's songs in it.

As I've posted numerous times, this is the song most likely to make me have a driving accident, as it's so darn catchy! LOL!!!

There is nothing I'd love more , though, than for this to be the next single, this or I See You. Love them both equally.

Ohhh Happy Ending has been very appreciated by non-fans, often their favourite Mika song

I often hear the instrumental of Happy Ending in shows on TV. They play it a lot on things like X Factor during the auditions or boot Camp, when someone doesn't get through. It's also popular as a choral song, usually acapella. I think it got as high as 7 in the UK, but it was the fourth single, so I think people bought the album instead.

Happy Ending will always be a classic imo.

Well I have voted yes, because I like the song and think it would be a single that would appeal to a very broad range of people.

I have a slight hesitation knowing that it WOULD without doubt be compared to Father Figure and we would get the same old (boring) "Mika just steals things" comments in the press, but I think the song is strong enough to transcend that.

Well I have voted yes, because I like the song and think it would be a single that would appeal to a very broad range of people.

I have a slight hesitation knowing that it WOULD without doubt be compared to Father Figure and we would get the same old (boring) "Mika just steals things" comments in the press, but I think the song is strong enough to transcend that.

Well I think so too

Rain not even released yet and we're already discussing the next single?:blink:

I really love PUOTF and One Foot Boy, and the way they show off Mika's versatility, but I don't think of them as potential singles.

Yes, Touches You does start off reminding you of GM songs, but by the time he gets to the end and the "perfect love" refrain, he has completely Mikafied it. I can't imagine George Michael singing anything like that. I think it would make a great single.

But I think the record company will go for a change of pace with "I See You" :wink2:

I just think it sounds VERY George Michal ish and he would get a bashing for it.

It really does. I had it playing a few days ago, and when someone walked into the room they asked me why I was listening to George Michael.

That said, I like the song and think it would make a good single.

Rain not even released yet and we're already discussing the next single?:blink:

I really love PUOTF and One Foot Boy, and the way they show off Mika's versatility, but I don't think of them as potential singles.

Yes, Touches You does start off reminding you of GM songs, but by the time he gets to the end and the "perfect love" refrain, he has completely Mikafied it. I can't imagine George Michael singing anything like that. I think it would make a great single.

But I think the record company will go for a change of pace with "I See You" :wink2:

i would love it if he release both :biggrin2: I SEE YOU was my first fave...and than touches you :) andi think the way you do... even if it reminds people of GM... like u said...he totaly Mikafied it :thumb_yello:

Hmmmm...yeah, it's catchy too, but I think it's just too...cute for the radio. That's not the right word but I can't think of a better one. Touches You has a very strong, dirty, groovy beat behind it and more than one prominent hook, and when you look at what's on the radio nowadays it's all stuff you want to dance dirty to. :teehee:

As for GM...Being a 90's child, I haven't heard him, but even if TY does sound like him, Mika's biggest hit sounded a hell of a lot like Queen. And if he's channelling the greats from back when, frankly, good for him. It's what makes people love him.

I think they've pretty much heard that side with Happy Ending.

But that one didn't do too well here.

Well, maybe I used the wrong words to argue for I See You then... :wink2:

So, let me explain. Happy Ending is a beautiful song, I See You is a great song with a huge commercial potential. I personally prefer I'm Falling, but Walter Afanasieff turned it into a song that sounds like a movie soundtrack and has a huge potential if the right circumstances occur...