Mika and Boyzone: how he 'gave it all away'- the Sun

robertina

Could somebody confirm for me that Mika wrote the lyrics AND music to this song, because I'm confused, as I keep seeing in various places on the net that Mika just wrote the lyrics. I'm pretty sure that's wrong but I don't want to go contradicting people on other forums etc without getting my facts 100% straight.

I read here that it was a demo at one time - so I am thinking he wrote both.

I hope that helps.

I love the lyrics.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read here that it was a demo at one time - so I am thinking he wrote both.

I hope that helps.

I love the lyrics.

Thanks, that's what I thought too. It's just there seems to be some confusion out there and I was starting to wonder..

edit: thanks to Cazgirl too.

:aah: I don't know why I added the girl on there; I always do call you Caz :blink::teehee:

Yes I thought so lol :aah: I always find it weird when people address me as CazGirl :aah: Sadler's Wells was a nightmare for that LOL.

EDIT: That's meant to say "AND feel free..." not "A". Honestly, my typing skills are seriously deteriorating.

Yes I thought so lol :aah: I always find it weird when people address me as CazGirl :aah: Sadler's Wells was a nightmare for that LOL.

EDIT: That's meant to say "AND feel free..." not "A". Honestly, my typing skills are seriously deteriorating.

Perhaps I am just feeling strangely formal tonight :aah: I think I shall address all MFCers by their full usernames preceded by a suitable title. :shun:

At least people could pronounce your username, Sadler's Wells was a nightmare for me because hardly anybody could get their tongue round mine :teehee: ooer missus!

Perhaps I am just feeling strangely formal tonight :aah: I think I shall address all MFCers by their full usernames preceded by a suitable title. :shun:

At least people could pronounce your username, Sadler's Wells was a nightmare for me because hardly anybody could get their tongue round mine :teehee: ooer missus!

I think your name is pretty phonetical (is that even a word? ...it is now.) "Ga-tah-gord-een-aah"?

If true even this one has beat me

Seems so!

Also, on FB people were talking about Mika's version being more raw. How do 'we' know that?

Some of us have a copy of Mika singing it...

I don't get this at all.

Do you know how many songs Mika has??????

Not enough for a second album - are you kidding me???

I am sorry - but I do no agree with this or believe it.

I agree with part of what you said... he defo had heaps of songs to choose from, but he rewrote a demo and included two songs from SFS on TBWKTM... and if you ask a few of the Aussies, they'll say that Dr John is a rip off of Billy Brown :teehee:

Maybe he was struggling to write completely new songs without falling back on older ones :dunno:

It feels so strange to me because almost all Mika songs are way better than GIAA and I just wish people were more open minded about him and his music.

Yeah it's a shame, but it's still early in his career. He's got plenty of time to win people over.

Yes!

The last thirty seconds Mika clears up the rumours about the Boyzone Gave It All Away nonsense.

Wait...what nonsense has he cleared up?

It sounds like he just confirmed the stories from 2007 are TRUE. The tabloids said exactly that...Boyzone recorded the song and clearly Mika didn't release it to them until he was asked again recently.

*dances*

I KNEW IT!!\

Well, not that I'm much of a fan of Boyzone or the song, but It was sweet of Mika. and Its good publicity for him.

**edit**

oh dear this poor guy died and i'm thinking of mikas publicity?

*slinks out of thread*

that whole comment is exactly what happened to me!

though my eyes did get pretty teary on the part when he talks about finding out about his death:(

i don't like Boyzone or the song much either, but that was really just so sweet of Mika, especially since he initially didn't want to give them the song

and the way he said it was just so charming!

HE is just so sweet and charming!

and that's all i really ended up thinking about.

then i felt bad.

but this IS Mika's fan club!

that's my excuse.:thumb_yello:

I agree with part of what you said... he defo had heaps of songs to choose from, but he rewrote a demo and included two songs from SFS on TBWKTM... and if you ask a few of the Aussies, they'll say that Dr John is a rip off of Billy Brown :teehee:

Maybe he was struggling to write completely new songs without falling back on older ones :dunno:

This is totally my own belief.

I believe Mika is a very prolific songwriter.

I do not believe that he has a shortage of songs to produce.

That is just me.

Wait...what nonsense has he cleared up?

It sounds like he just confirmed the stories from 2007 are TRUE. The tabloids said exactly that...Boyzone recorded the song and clearly Mika didn't release it to them until he was asked again recently.

The rumours I have been hearing is that Mika did not want Boyzone to release Gave It All Away for various reasons.

Before now - none - were ever confirmed by Mika.

Even here a few of you "uber" fans were saying stuff that wasn't based on any facts.

Sorry suzie I corrected ubor to uber as you pointed out.

Out of his own mouth Mika has said that it is not true.

I will take this at face value.

I am going to believe Mika on this one.:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Edited by Kodes100

The rumours I have been hearing is that Mika did not want Boyzone to release Gave It All Away for various reasons.

Even here a few of you "ubor" fans were saying stuff that wasn't based on any facts.

:blink: What is "ubor" ? or did you mean "über"?

...and do you seriously think Mika would ever say he did not want them to release the song as he did not want to be associated with as the songwriter for Boyzone, especially early in his career? or that this song was basically written to get himself a record deal so that later on he can write and perform the way he wants to?

There are many things he says you should not take at face value for various reasons... Most importantly he never ever says anything negative about anyone unless they really hurt him.

:blink: What is "ubor" ? or did you mean "über"?

...and do you seriously think Mika would ever say he did not want them to release the song as he did not want to be associated with as the songwriter for Boyzone, especially early in his career? or that this song was basically written to get himself a record deal so that later on he can write and perform the way he wants to?

There are many things he says you should not take at face value for various reasons... Most importantly he never ever says anything negative about anyone unless they really hurt him.

Yes - thank you - I meant uber.

I can see where you are coming from.

But it sure seems "sometimes" people want to believe the garbage out there whether it is based on facts or not.

There are ton of reasons that the song could have been held up - I am not going to list any - why believe the first negative thing attributed to Mika - which by the way he never said.

Please yourself - I still choose to believe what Mika himself stated.

You're welcome. A feel free to just call me Caz lol :naughty:

exibit A) :mf_rosetinted:

Shut yo' cake hole, woman :mf_rosetinted:

It's "exhibit" :teehee:

:roftl:

This is totally my own belief.

I believe Mika is a very prolific songwriter.

I do not believe that he has a shortage of songs to produce.

That is just me.

Fair enough... To me, it seems that you're assuming that Mika would never suffer from writers block or similar, but I'm not going to get into an argument about it.

Carry on :biggrin2:

Shut yo' cake hole, woman :mf_rosetinted:

It's "exhibit" :teehee:

:roftl:

Pedant :fisch:

Knew you'd take it as a compliment! :naughty:

Anyways, I'd love to chat with y'all, but I have some more of those dirty little fan fics to write :das:

Night all!

LOL It's 11:22am here :naughty:

If you're writing naughty stories I don't think you'll be sleeping for a long time yet :teehee:

But Mika didn't address the reasons in this interview at all and the interviewer didn't ask him so when he says "the rumours aren't true" we don't even know what he was referring to. We still don't know why he didn't release the song.

And Suzie is right. He's never going to reveal the real reason because the circumstances have changed and now he's in a position where he has to fully support the song regardless of what he thought 2 years ago.

But Mika didn't address the reasons in this interview at all and the interviewer didn't ask him so when he says "the rumours aren't true" we don't even know what he was referring to. We still don't know why he didn't release the song.

And Suzie is right. He's never going to reveal the real reason because the circumstances have changed and now he's in a position where he has to fully support the song regardless of what he thought 2 years ago.

From this context of interview I can only conclude for sure that Mika at some point deceided that this song was more appropriate for them and not for him.