Mika and Boyzone: how he 'gave it all away'- the Sun

robertina

I will jab all those nasty people in the music industry with my jousting stick to give me what I need...whatever it is. :aah:

whatever format that piece officially exists, I doubt it is part of any promo single.

It might be a demo, but that's different.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever format that piece officially exists, I doubt it is part of any promo single.

It might be a demo, but that's different.

*sticks her jousting stick in the ground, takes off helmet and puts it on top of the stick* We'll save the adventure for another time then!

Off to eBay we go! *puts on her helmet, jumps on a horse equipped with her jousting stick*

I will jab all those nasty people in the music industry with my jousting stick to give me what I need...whatever it is. :aah:

*sticks her jousting stick in the ground, takes off helmet and puts it on top of the stick* We'll save the adventure for another time then!

I imagined you saying all of that in a very triumphant voice :naughty:

"a brief flash in the pan when radio showed minor interest in Notting Hill soundtrack ballad “No Matter What.”"

OMG, that's wrong. Ron Keating - and Ronan ALONE - sang "When You Say Nothing At All" for Notting Hill, "No Matter What" was a song Boyzone sang years before the film came out :roftl:

Edited by CazGirl

Yes!

Finally Mika clears up the Boyzone gave It All Away controversy on Irish radio today.

Tauruslady just posted a radio interview of the The Will Leahy Show in this section.

"You can listen here if you roll down to "The Will Leahy Show" and click on "I want to listen to the recording of the show" it will pop up in a player.

Then skip up to about 73:49 where Mika comes on.

He goes on until about 83:51."

http://2fm.rte.ie/previously_played

The last thirty seconds Mika clears up the rumours about the Boyzone Gave It All Away nonsense.

Kudos Mika!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Thank you so much tauruslady!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Yes!

Finally Mika clears up the Boyzone gave It All Away controversy on Irish radio today.

Tauruslady just posted a radio interview of the The Will Leahy Show in this section.

"You can listen here if you roll down to "The Will Leahy Show" and click on "I want to listen to the recording of the show" it will pop up in a player.

Then skip up to about 73:49 where Mika comes on.

He goes on until about 83:51."

http://2fm.rte.ie/previously_played

The last thirty seconds Mika clears up the rumours about the Boyzone Gave It All Away nonsense.

Kudos Mika!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Thank you so much tauruslady!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

I'm on a computer where the speakers don't work, can you please sum up what he said?:blush-anim-cl::biggrin2:

I'm on a computer where the speakers don't work, can you please sum up what he said?:blush-anim-cl::biggrin2:

You bet keti!

Will asked, "The Boyzone song was released to radio this week & we got a chance to hear even though it has been gestating for a number of years.

Have you had a chance to hear their version of your song Gave It All Away?"

Mika answered, "Ah yup I heard it & I think it sounds great. I really like it. I am quite proud of it."

Will asks. " There was reports intially in 2007 that you weren't that keen for them to record it. Were those reports true?"

Mika says, "No. Those reports weren't true. They recorded the song um & then sent it to me so um over time it has become very clear that the song is more appropriate for them than for me."

Then Mika talks about how he respects Ronan for keeping the first line even though Stephen had passed on.

I hope this helps keti.

You bet keti!

Will asked, "The Boyzone song was released to radio this week & we got a chance to hear even though it has been gestating for a number of years.

Have you had a chance to hear their version of your song Gave It All Away?"

Mika answered, "Ah yup I heard it & I think it sounds great. I really like it. I am quite proud of it."

Will asks. " There was reports intially in 2007 that you weren't that keen for them to record it. Were those reports true?"

Mika says, "No. Those reports weren't true. They recorded the song um & then sent it to me so um over time it has become very clear that the song is more appropriate for them than for me."

Then Mika talks about how he respects Ronan for keeping the first line even though Stephen had passed on.

I hope this helps keti.

You bet Kodes!:biggrin2:

Really nice to hear that from him. So the rumours weren't true!

THis interview actually only reveals how polite and intelligent Mika is.

Boyzone recorded the song in 2007 and had a compilation album released in autumn 2008. GIAA was not included and obviously there was a reason for that.

It does not matter what it was now. Time has solved it and this song is now a perfect song for Boyzone fans to remember Stephen.

Edited by suzie

Was it always clear that Mika wrote it (as opposed to Alice or any other nom de plume) because it has the pronoun 'she' and his lyrics don't normally specify.

Also, on FB people were talking about Mika's version being more raw. How do 'we' know that?

Was it always clear that Mika wrote it (as opposed to Alice or any other nom de plume) because it has the pronoun 'she' and his lyrics don't normally specify.

Also, on FB people were talking about Mika's version being more raw. How do 'we' know that?

think it has been said before on here, mika's version was on youtube for one day in 2007, that's where some people heard it. :wink2: i think the lyrics didn't change compared to mika's demo version, including "she".

btw, on a german website it said that it wasn't released in 2007 for "legal reasons". whatever that could mean. in this radio interview however it sounds to me like mika wanted to keep his options open for recording the song himself some time in the future. maybe that was it, because it is indeed a good song, and maybe he feared at that time that he couldn't come up with any better ones for his 2nd album (you know what problems he had at the beginning with the pressure and all...). seems the most plausible of the possible reasons to me. :dunno:

think it has been said before on here, mika's version was on youtube for one day in 2007, that's where some people heard it. :wink2: i think the lyrics didn't change compared to mika's demo version, including "she".

btw, on a german website it said that it wasn't released in 2007 for "legal reasons". whatever that could mean. in this radio interview however it sounds to me like mika wanted to keep his options open for recording the song himself some time in the future. maybe that was it, because it is indeed a good song, and maybe he feared at that time that he couldn't come up with any better ones for his 2nd album (you know what problems he had at the beginning with the pressure and all...). seems the most plausible of the possible reasons to me. :dunno:

I don't get this at all.

Do you know how many songs Mika has??????

Not enough for a second album - are you kidding me???

I am sorry - but I do no agree with this or believe it.

I've heard this on the radio several times now, and without exception the dj has said "written by Mika".

Yeah suckers! We already knew he was good. :aah:

yes, I think there are at least three reasons for that.

Firstly, members of Boyzone as well as Louis Walsh kindly keep mentioning how Mika wrote this song. (First it was clearly a slight form of pressure, particularly from LW, before Mika said the final OK)

Secondly, you almost automatically look for the songwriter when you hear any new Boyzone song, in case it is another cover version..:teehee:

Thirdly, I think a lot of people reject Mika to the extent that they automatically fully refuse to listen to any of his songs. However, when the song is performed by others, they do listen... and they are surprised how he can write a song like that.

It feels so strange to me because almost all Mika songs are way better than GIAA and I just wish people were more open minded about him and his music.

It's filed under "Michael Holbrook Penniman" - I checked last night lol.

Could somebody confirm for me that Mika wrote the lyrics AND music to this song, because I'm confused, as I keep seeing in various places on the net that Mika just wrote the lyrics. I'm pretty sure that's wrong but I don't want to go contradicting people on other forums etc without getting my facts 100% straight.

Could somebody confirm for me that Mika wrote the lyrics AND music to this song, because I'm confused, as I keep seeing in various places on the net that Mika just wrote the lyrics. I'm pretty sure that's wrong but I don't want to go contradicting people on other forums etc without getting my facts 100% straight.

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&keyID=8537713&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID