BBC Review of "Rain"

CazGirl

They posted the second one I submitted. :roftl::roftl:

I did comment that Mr. Fraser McAlpine took great delight insulting Mika.

I also told them that Mika is one of Britain's Treasures - but some brits didn't know it yet.

I worded it all so sweetly it would give a diabetic an attack.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:boxed:

Hmm. Rain's my favorite and my sister said she actually liked it. (that's saying something considering she's not a fan.)

I guess you can't win over everyone, but it seemed unnecessarily harsh.

:aah: That's the same thing with my sister!

I can't believe this guy wrote such rude things. I mean, go ahead and don't like it but you don't have to be rude about it. And "Rain" sounds nothing like "Love Today" Of all the songs to compare it too... :blink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chartblog/2009/11/mika_rain.shtml

"In a world where Jedward exist and thrive, it's increasingly hard to find solid, concrete reasons to object to Mika and his music, beyond the obvious one about cups of tea and who they belong to.

Yes, he looks into the camera as if he's staring at his beautiful face in a mirror which is telling him he is the fairest in all the land. Yes, he's not blessed with range as far as songwriting is concerned, and yes he often sings as if language is not his first language, but you put him next to even the most bland of X Factor contestants and a strange phenomenon occurs. He starts to resemble someone who is a lot more charismatic and talented than he actually is.

(Here's the video. Which seems to have been shot in Florence's back garden.)

Trouble is, there's another star in the firmament who has pretty much cornered the market in interesting and enigmatic - Lady GaGa, who is so good at being in the public eye she could give Madonna lessons - which puts Mika right back where he started, and this song is going to do nothing to change matters.

Even if you've not heard this, you have: It's basically 'Love Today' with the 'flu. It's discoey, campish, nearly flamboyant, wan-tastic...it takes a fairly anaemic thing and drains the life-blood out of it, until you're left with a featherlight, skippy, breathy squib with no real sense of purpose or urgency, performed by a man who is not so much an alien sex being from the planet Charisma as a hyperactive CBeebies presenter with a narcissistic streak.

Hearing this, it makes total sense why 'We Are Golden' had to be as bombastic and Meat Loafy as it was, it's simply because these are songs that would blow away in the draught if they weren't anchored down by breeze blocks.

Someone else's cuppa, all down my front, 'swot I am saying...

2/5 stars"

:tears:

I'm genuinely upset for Mika.

Oh no. That's horrible - vicious.

Why is this backlash going on??

Seriously? :sneaky2:

Why can't they just say "I didn't like Mika's new single."? It's not even necessary to attack him personally. If you don't like how it sounds, fine, but there's no need to rage at Mika.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chartblog/2009/11/mika_rain.shtml

"In a world where Jedward exist and thrive, it's increasingly hard to find solid, concrete reasons to object to Mika and his music, beyond the obvious one about cups of tea and who they belong to.

Trouble is, there's another star in the firmament who has pretty much cornered the market in interesting and enigmatic - Lady GaGa, who is so good at being in the public eye she could give Madonna lessons - which puts Mika right back where he started, and this song is going to do nothing to change matters.

Even if you've not heard this, you have: It's basically 'Love Today' with the 'flu. It's discoey, campish, nearly flamboyant, wan-tastic...it takes a fairly anaemic thing and drains the life-blood out of it, until you're left with a featherlight, skippy, breathy squib with no real sense of purpose or urgency, performed by a man who is not so much an alien sex being from the planet Charisma as a hyperactive CBeebies presenter with a narcissistic streak.

Hearing this, it makes total sense why 'We Are Golden' had to be as bombastic and Meat Loafy as it was, it's simply because these are songs that would blow away in the draught if they weren't anchored down by breeze blocks.

Someone else's cuppa, all down my front, 'swot I am saying...

2/5 stars"

:tears:

I'm genuinely upset for Mika.

However I don't like this review, I must say I did laugh (secretly:wink2:) about the witty comparisons..

But why did he have to drag Lady Gaga into this review? It's not the presence of another artist that makes an artist better or worse. People are the result of their own actions. (I hope that makes any sense...)

:boxed:

that was my facial expression when I read it, too

Mine was more something like: :shocked::blink:

Nice coming back :sneaky2:

(in case nobody know what I'm talking about, I've been away for like 2 weeks or so :aah: This is the first time I'm really back for a while..)

Hey Bienie: welcome back! Where have you been?

Mostly in bed or on the couch :aah:

Pneumonia ... Have been an inch away from being in the hospital, but I'm stubborn :blush-anim-cl: It was like: maybe you should think about going to the hospital and then me like: is that really necessary and blablabla. So the doctor said I could wait untill monday (it was friday) and if it wasn't any better by then I had no choice anymore.. It's going better now :aah:.. still a long way to go tho :boxed:

But well .. no energy to go on the laptop .. I've missed some things :aah::roftl:

Who or what is Jedward?

What is the right question I think :aah: And you don't want to know :mf_rosetinted:

(if you do want to know .. check youtube ..you'll find it there :aah:)

Who or what is Jedward?

They are the twins who were on X Factor, John and Edward (Jedward for short).

I don't watch it, but it's impossible to escape it, unfortunately!:sneaky2:

I read this review, and commented, and now have a very sore tongue where I have had to bite it so hard from not ripping him to shreds!:sneaky2:

The guys a complete arse, and how the BBC let him get away with posting those nasty remarks about Mika, when they quite blatantly say we're not allowed to post anything deflammatory back to the guy in response, is complete nonsense.

So he's allowed to bait, but no ones allowed to come back at him. That's SO cowardly, and I'm disgusted at the BBC for letting it happen.

The guy is clever in his wording, but we can see what he's getting at, and it's not on.

Sorry rant over.

I read this review, and commented, and now have a very sore tongue where I have had to bite it so hard from not ripping him to shreds!:sneaky2:

The guys a complete arse, and how the BBC let him get away with posting those nasty remarks about Mika, when they quite blatantly say we're not allowed to post anything deflammatory back to the guy in response, is complete nonsense.

So he's allowed to bait, but no ones allowed to come back at him. That's SO cowardly, and I'm disgusted at the BBC for letting it happen.

The guy is clever in his wording, but we can see what he's getting at, and it's not on.

Sorry rant over.

I thought the same!

For those confused about Jedward...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjYKHTbDzvg

Sorry rant over.

I completley relate to what you are saying.

I enjoyed your "rant!":thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

That is why I ran into trouble with my first "comment" that they refused to publish.:roftl::roftl:

"This guy" - I refuse to keep repeating his name - took more delight in insulting Mika than professionallly reviewing Rain.

Go Figure!!

Archived