BBC Review of "Rain"

CazGirl

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chartblog/2009/11/mika_rain.shtml

"In a world where Jedward exist and thrive, it's increasingly hard to find solid, concrete reasons to object to Mika and his music, beyond the obvious one about cups of tea and who they belong to.

Yes, he looks into the camera as if he's staring at his beautiful face in a mirror which is telling him he is the fairest in all the land. Yes, he's not blessed with range as far as songwriting is concerned, and yes he often sings as if language is not his first language, but you put him next to even the most bland of X Factor contestants and a strange phenomenon occurs. He starts to resemble someone who is a lot more charismatic and talented than he actually is.

(Here's the video. Which seems to have been shot in Florence's back garden.)

Trouble is, there's another star in the firmament who has pretty much cornered the market in interesting and enigmatic - Lady GaGa, who is so good at being in the public eye she could give Madonna lessons - which puts Mika right back where he started, and this song is going to do nothing to change matters.

Even if you've not heard this, you have: It's basically 'Love Today' with the 'flu. It's discoey, campish, nearly flamboyant, wan-tastic...it takes a fairly anaemic thing and drains the life-blood out of it, until you're left with a featherlight, skippy, breathy squib with no real sense of purpose or urgency, performed by a man who is not so much an alien sex being from the planet Charisma as a hyperactive CBeebies presenter with a narcissistic streak.

Hearing this, it makes total sense why 'We Are Golden' had to be as bombastic and Meat Loafy as it was, it's simply because these are songs that would blow away in the draught if they weren't anchored down by breeze blocks.

Someone else's cuppa, all down my front, 'swot I am saying...

2/5 stars"

:tears:

I'm genuinely upset for Mika.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, sometimes I guess it's a blessing to not understand so much!:teehee:

This was really hard but I assume it's not worth to put too much effort into trying to understand?

The writer don't like Rain...so what?:bleh:

I love it and most of us do and we are the real experts anyway!:naughty:

:shocked:

I don't really know anything about song reviews, is it their actual purpose to be mean? In my opinion it should be just like on Youtube, leave a comment if you like it or shut up. But maybe I'm overreacting because it's about Mika and a song I love.

:sneaky2: I was so annoyed by that I posted a comment

I did too silver!:thumb_yello:

I am a little disappointed that nobody else from MFC posted anything.

It doesn't do much good just complaining in our little sandbox here.

Mr. Fraser McAlpine is an are**ole - excuse my language please.

He seemes to think he is clever & funny.

I didn't find him either!!

I did too silver!:thumb_yello:

I am a little disappointed that nobody else from MFC posted anything.

It doesn't do much good just complaining in our little sandbox here.

Mr. Fraser McAlpine is an are**ole - excuse my language please.

He seemes to think he is clever & funny.

I didn't find him either!!

Kodes, are you Gary?

"This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules."

You silly thing :roftl:

Oh i was about to go there but missed it, what did you write, Kodes???:naughty:

Kodes, are you Gary?

"This comment was removed because the moderators found it broke the House Rules."

You silly thing :roftl:

Oh i was about to go there but missed it, what did you write, Kodes???:naughty:

I didn't think I was rude - at least not as rude as he was.. I didn't use any profanity!

I called him a "hack" :roftl::roftl: & commented on the fact that he seem to take great delight insulting Mika rather than giving a legitimate review on Mika's music.

Could that be it??:roftl::roftl:

Shoot!

I suppose I should wait an hour or so - return & add a "vanilla" comment.

I still think he is a jerk.

made my comment.

Bravo Caz!

Archived