Changes to Mika's German tourdates!

mellody

The only thing about the non existant Universal promo that scares me is the fact that it was a tv commercial of theirs that called my attention to Mika in the first place. If I hadn't come across that coincidentally (I don't watch tv a lot) I would have missed a lot.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing about the non existant Universal promo that scares me is the fact that it was a tv commercial of theirs that called my attention to Mika in the first place. If I hadn't come across that coincidentally (I don't watch tv a lot) I would have missed a lot.

well in 2007 they still did promo for him... he was on TV Total and Wetten dass and several other TV shows! i'm not a music promotion expert, but seeing the results on album and ticket sales, they definitely did something wrong for his 2nd album! :sneaky2:

or maybe mika himself refuses to go on german tv shows again after gottschalk asking him about the beautiful girls in graz. :naughty:

well in 2007 they still did promo for him... he was on TV Total and Wetten dass and several other TV shows! i'm not a music promotion expert, but seeing the results on album and ticket sales, they definitely did something wrong for his 2nd album! :sneaky2:

or maybe mika himself refuses to go on german tv shows again after gottschalk asking him about the beautiful girls in graz. :naughty:

Stefan Raab was anything but nice as well. I could understand if they decided that it's not worth. Funnily, I worry much less about Mika getting too little promotion in the appropriate tv programs than I do worry about the impression he might have got of German tv presenters in general. I think it's embarrassing, thinking of Wetten Dass, Tv Total and that WDR or SWR or smth like that Friday night talkshow he attended.

Stefan Raab was anything but nice as well. I could understand if they decided that it's not worth. Funnily, I worry much less about Mika getting too little promotion in the appropriate tv programs than I do worry about the impression he might have got of German tv presenters in general. I think it's embarrassing, thinking of Wetten Dass, Tv Total and that WDR or SWR or smth like that Friday night talkshow he attended.

oh well, i don't know - of course i know what you mean, but they asked him about his sexuality everywhere in 2007, not just in germany. and stefan raab isn't nice to anyone, plus mika might not have noticed anyway, i doubt he knows who daniel küblböck is. :naughty: it wasn't an interview, just a performance, and if people bought mika's cd because of that, it was a good promo, no matter what stefan said.

i doubt that mika likes many tv presenters, or media people in general... for example that one recent interview on australian tv where this interviewer pretended to be mika's shrink :aah: - it was an interesting interview in general, but it was quite strange at times, and just really embarrassing when she went on about whether he was wearing anything underneath his WAG boxer shorts! :aah: the german interviewers weren't worse than that, and this australian interview probably won't keep mika from doing tv stuff in australia in the future... so that's why i don't agree with you in this point, i'm more worried about the missing promo than about some stupid tv presenters.

btw, in 2007 mika also was in several teen magazines, but not in 2009. i don't say he's the typical teen mag star, of course he isn't... but he attracts fans of every age, and teenagers are an important target group for the music industry. plus, with tbwktm being about mika's teenage years, it would fit together quite well.

i think the german record company just doesn't get him and doesn't know what to do with him, and so they just do nothing. :sneaky2:

i doubt that mika likes many tv presenters, or media people in general... for example that one recent interview on australian tv where this interviewer pretended to be mika's shrink :aah: - it was an interesting interview in general, but it was quite strange at times, and just really embarrassing when she went on about whether he was wearing anything underneath his WAG boxer shorts! :aah: the german interviewers weren't worse than that, and this australian interview probably won't keep mika from doing tv stuff in australia in the future...

I think Mika quite liked the Australian interviewer. His body language was very open with her, especially as the interview progressed. I noticed when they were discussing smells that she was mirroring his movements and I think he was comfortable with her regardless of her unusual questions.

She was 1000% better than that chubby bunny girl's recent interview. She came off like a space cadet and if Mika wasn't so adept at practically interviewing himself, it would have gone nowhere.

oh well, i don't know - of course i know what you mean, but they asked him about his sexuality everywhere in 2007, not just in germany. and stefan raab isn't nice to anyone, plus mika might not have noticed anyway, i doubt he knows who daniel küblböck is. :naughty: it wasn't an interview, just a performance, and if people bought mika's cd because of that, it was a good promo, no matter what stefan said.

i doubt that mika likes many tv presenters, or media people in general... for example that one recent interview on australian tv where this interviewer pretended to be mika's shrink :aah: - it was an interesting interview in general, but it was quite strange at times, and just really embarrassing when she went on about whether he was wearing anything underneath his WAG boxer shorts! :aah: the german interviewers weren't worse than that, and this australian interview probably won't keep mika from doing tv stuff in australia in the future... so that's why i don't agree with you in this point, i'm more worried about the missing promo than about some stupid tv presenters.

btw, in 2007 mika also was in several teen magazines, but not in 2009. i don't say he's the typical teen mag star, of course he isn't... but he attracts fans of every age, and teenagers are an important target group for the music industry. plus, with tbwktm being about mika's teenage years, it would fit together quite well.

i think the german record company just doesn't get him and doesn't know what to do with him, and so they just do nothing. :sneaky2:

Surely, if they aren't sure how to market him, they should look to any of the European counterparts, like Italy, and do photoshoots etc.

Damn! The thing with smaller venues is that we want him to have as much success as possible, which would mean being able to fill the larger venues they'd originally targeted. On the other hand, from the perspective of the fan experience, smaller venues are almost always nicer.

I totally relate to how you guys must feel. I was disappointed at first when Mika's Vancouver show was moved from the Orpheum Theatre (capacity 2,800) to the Commodore Ballroom (capacity 1,000) especially since he'd sold out the larger venue in early 2008. It makes you think "wtf is going on with promo in this country?"

On the other hand, France is so crazy they've had to add a second Paris date. So I guess it all depends on the market of any given country. :dunno:

I've edited the thread names with the updated venues - let me know if I missed any or made any mistakes :thumb_yello:

I think Mika quite liked the Australian interviewer. His body language was very open with her, especially as the interview progressed. I noticed when they were discussing smells that she was mirroring his movements and I think he was comfortable with her regardless of her unusual questions.

She was 1000% better than that chubby bunny girl's recent interview. She came off like a space cadet and if Mika wasn't so adept at practically interviewing himself, it would have gone nowhere.

which interview are you talking about? :P

... but he attracts fans of every age...

Exactly, as he's just one of a kind they don't have a box for him. :dunno:

Damn! The thing with smaller venues is that we want him to have as much success as possible, which would mean being able to fill the larger venues they'd originally targeted. On the other hand, from the perspective of the fan experience, smaller venues are almost always nicer.

:boxed: It's quite a trade-off. If someone told me a few years back that in the not so distant future I would have a very guilty conscience for being happy to see someone perform in a much smaller venue as scheduled in the first place, my reaction would have been something like that: :loco:

I think the problem is that Mika's kept his original fans - the ones who embraced him in the beginning - but has not won over too many new fans in Europe with TBWKTM.

Also, obviously the first time round a lot of people went to see him just because he was new and they were curious. He's experiencing that all over again now - but in different places - the far east and Australasia.

Marek is a good promoter though, and it is far better to have a smaller venue which is packed than a larger arena with empty seats. I don't know that the record company have done as much as they could with the album, but Mika has certainly done his share of promotional work.

But this kind of levelling out often happens when an artist has a massively successful first album and a less successful follow-up.

The THIRD album is the key!

There is definitely too less promotion for the tour in Germany. When I pretend I were a " normal " person who likes Mika and not a Mika addicted MFC ´er I wouldn´t know anything about the tour. For every other star who tours in Germany they show the dates in tv.

Maybe the target was too high to fill so big venues at so many dates in Germany. I was shocked last night when I read Mellody´s post and I hope Germany doesn´t dissapoint Mika too much and we fans will do our best at the gig´s to make him happy.

i just called marek lieberberg, LEIPZIG IS DEFINITELY CANCELLED! :sad:

I think the problem is that Mika's kept his original fans - the ones who embraced him in the beginning - but has not won over too many new fans in Europe with TBWKTM.

Also, obviously the first time round a lot of people went to see him just because he was new and they were curious. He's experiencing that all over again now - but in different places - the far east and Australasia.

Marek is a good promoter though, and it is far better to have a smaller venue which is packed than a larger arena with empty seats. I don't know that the record company have done as much as they could with the album, but Mika has certainly done his share of promotional work.

But this kind of levelling out often happens when an artist has a massively successful first album and a less successful follow-up.

is that how it works in the music industry, the 2nd album can be a flop but the 3rd one has to do well again? :blink: tbwktm is doing FAR worse here than licm, it was in the charts for only 6 weeks, while licm was there for 60. there's probably more than one reason for that, but the main reason IMO is the missing promotion, thre are still many people in germany who don't even know that mika has released a 2nd album! i WISH he had kept all of his old "fans" (fans here meaning those who listen to his music); if only half of those people who bought licm would also buy tbwktm, we wouldn't have this problem now! :aah:

There is definitely too less promotion for the tour in Germany. When I pretend I were a " normal " person who likes Mika and not a Mika addicted MFC ´er I wouldn´t know anything about the tour. For every other star who tours in Germany they show the dates in tv.

Maybe the target was too high to fill so big venues at so many dates in Germany. I was shocked last night when I read Mellody´s post and I hope Germany doesn´t dissapoint Mika too much and we fans will do our best at the gig´s to make him happy.

not sure if the amount of gigs has to do anything with it. i mean, apart from us, people don't usually travel far to gigs - so if mika did just gigs in frankfurt, dusseldorf, berlin and munich, like he did on his last german tour, 99% of those in&around hamburg and stuttgart still wouldn't go to those gigs - so imo it makes no difference how many gigs there are in germany. :dunno:

wellwell, we gotta make the best out of it!

hoping that these new smaller venues will be sold out at least! 'cause I remeber from 2007 that the German venues weren't always sold out...hmmm

hopefully more people will get their ticket closer to the actual dates - or, if that won't happen, then hopefully there will be lots of talking about the show in German media - so that more people are ready to go and see Mika the next time...

Sorry about Leipzig though...don't understand why this one was cancelled, especially because it was the smallest of all venues!!! :boxed:

Once again... :thumb_yello:

wellwell, we gotta make the best out of it!

hoping that these new smaller venues will be sold out at least! 'cause I remeber from 2007 that the German venues weren't always sold out...hmmm

hopefully more people will get their ticket closer to the actual dates - or, if that won't happen, then hopefully there will be lots of talking about the show in German media - so that more people are ready to go and see Mika the next time...

Sorry about Leipzig though...don't understand why this one was cancelled, especially because it was the smallest of all venues!!! :boxed:

mika said in an italian interview that there's a gig in milan that day... no idea whether he just mixed up the dates, or whether it has anything to do with that.

yes, let's hope that the shows will be sold out then and that he will be all over the media when he's touring here! :thumb_yello:

I saw laura picked up on this and I kinda agree ....

Many artists 2nd album is considered to be make or break even if they stay within the industry , he done a great album but as you rightly say the 3rd album usually brings an artist either into the big time or stay as they are..

Good point on the early group of fans , its strong but he does need the same as what we had then now as well :thumb_yello:

ok, before adding this to all the single threads, i'm opening a new one to inform everyone that there are several changes for mika's german tourdates. several shows have been relocated to smaller venues (so looks like the ticket sales aren't going too well :no:) and frankfurt has been changed to wiesbaden (also a smaller venue i think) - which is about 30km from frankfurt.

i have those infos from the marek lieberberg website, the organizer of the german tour: http://www.mlk.com/mika/1037-the_boy_who_knew_too_much_-_tour_2010 - so it should be accurate.

and even worse, on the ticket website eventim, it says that the gig in leipzig is cancelled. :sad: as this isn't on the mlk website, we can't be sure about that yet - i'll try to find out tomorrow whether it's true.

the venue changes are (old --> new)

21.3. frankfurt jahrhunderthalle --> wiesbaden schlachthof

23.3. hamburg colorline arena --> hamburg große freiheit 36

24.3. berlin columbiahalle --> berlin huxleys

30.3. stuttgart schleyerhalle --> stuttgart LKA Longhorn

munich and düsseldorf no changes so far, leipzig we'll see.

Omg... :boxed: Can't believe that this is happening! I was sure that he'd sell out all gigs. :boxed:

Thank God that Berlin isn't cancelled :sweatdrop:

But, what am I going to do now??? I've got my tickets for Columbia Halle. I didn't order them from Mikasounds but from some German website, and I have those tickets in my hands. How am I going to exchange them for the Huxleys ones?? I'll be in Berlin 2 days before the gig, I think. Shall I go to the Columbia Halle and get the Huxleys ones instead or...?? It is soo awkward that I live in Serbia, not in Germany, so I can't just go to the venue right now and exchange the tickets.

Mellody, do you have any information ticket-wise? Please, help:sad:

Keti, normally the original tickets would be valid for the new venues, especially as the date remains the same. I'm sure the promoters will put more information on their site eventually though, or you could email them!

Keti, normally the original tickets would be valid for the new venues, especially as the date remains the same. I'm sure the promoters will put more information on their site eventually though, or you could email them!

right keti, your tickets should stay valid for the new venue. what website was it where you bought it? if they're reliable, they should send you an e-mail about the change, telling you what to do. and if it's in german, just send it to me via pm, i'll tell you what it says. :wink2: i know that eventim.de sent out e-mails; if you tell me what ticket website it was, i can check there whether they have any news about it on their site.

I really hope it'll be like that - I wouldn't bare having to go to some places in Berlin and having to exchange the tickets - this will be my very first gig EVER, so I'm not exactly familiar with what should you do in this kind of situations. I hope they'll put some information on the site as soon as possible. I've checked the website and Mika's gig hasn't been put on the Dates List yet. Suppose they'll update it in short time. *shrugs*

Omg... :boxed: Can't believe that this is happening! I was sure that he'd sell out all gigs. :boxed:

Thank God that Berlin isn't cancelled :sweatdrop:

But, what am I going to do now??? I've got my tickets for Columbia Halle. I didn't order them from Mikasounds but from some German website, and I have those tickets in my hands. How am I going to exchange them for the Huxleys ones?? I'll be in Berlin 2 days before the gig, I think. Shall I go to the Columbia Halle and get the Huxleys ones instead or...?? It is soo awkward that I live in Serbia, not in Germany, so I can't just go to the venue right now and exchange the tickets.

Mellody, do you have any information ticket-wise? Please, help:sad:

I don't know how it works in Germany ... but if a venue is changed here the original ticket is still valid for the other venue - it's the same with cancelled dates ... the original ticket with the old date is still valid ... you'll have to check I guess ... but normally it is a logistical nightmare to try and return tickets if the date of the concert is the same :aah:

I can't believe this about the changed venues though ... I feel so sad for him ... he deserves so much to sell out larger venues ... I don't know what's going on :(

right keti, your tickets should stay valid for the new venue. what website was it where you bought it? if they're reliable, they should send you an e-mail about the change, telling you what to do. and if it's in german, just send it to me via pm, i'll tell you what it says. :wink2: i know that eventim.de sent out e-mails; if you tell me what ticket website it was, i can check there whether they have any news about it on their site.

The problem is that it wasn't me who ordered the tickets, but my mother's friend who lives in Berlin and whose place we'll be staying at during the gig. She ordered the tickets from this site

https://www.hekticket.de/livegigs/.bin/index.cgi?tid=1296821003242000

And she got them the day after. (she sent them to us via post later). So if they send an email saying that there's been changes about the location, it's my mom's friend who should receive it.

Oh, can you please check it for me? I'd be very thankful!!

Archived