Alan McGee: "Mika should have been shot at birth"

marian538

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that is the real insult. He's essentially saying that Mika shouldn't even be a player in the pop music scene, muchless competing for a Brit award. The shot at birth thing is not meant to conjure up images of violence, it's just a way to dismiss him completely.

But this guy doesn't even do a good job of that. Maybe it's a difference in communication styles, but I don't see a vicious dig as being an effective way to dismiss someone. He could have referenced Mika's comparatively crappy album sales, or suggested that Calvin Harris (who he seems to like) is far more relevant today because he creates quality dance records that the music scene needs. But he doesn't. He just makes the "shot at birth" comment.

Even aside from the Mika thing, all he has to say about Pixie Lott is "I mean, for God's sake." Um... okay? And that means...? Same with JLS. He could have said something about X-factor being a scourge on the ears of the public because it makes ho-hum performers into stars or something - anything. But he doesn't, he just makes all these erratic digs.

It would be like me saying to someone "British Airways should go out of business because they're all a bunch of stupid f*cks." Um. Okay, and what makes you say that?

I guess what annoys me the most is that this guy is on a big old soapbox and yet saying nothing. I suppose it's possible he said some things with some more substance which were then edited out, but somehow I doubt that.

Yes good comments , either taken as .. "i wish he was shot at Birth and therefore wasnt on this earth" orrrrr :i wish he was shot at Birth and therefore wouldnt be in the music industy" .. either way just isnt nice and nasty.

If he made some contructive comment then fine .. I would use this in a very bad sense I must say .. :boxed:

I never thought I'd say this... but FD, you said it better than I could. :roftl:

I think it must be- though after the snogging thread I'm beginning to wonder if I speak English :shocked:- I can see this article has annoyed a lot of UK people.

But I'd quite cheerfully say "Alan McGee should be shot for saying that" even to a journalist, because this is the first time I've come across the expression taken to have any connection with a desire for punishment or revenge. I would never say "Bin Laden should have been shot at birth" or "I could have murdered" someone who had seriously hurt me (rather than seriously embarassed me) because both comments would be inappropriately violent if there was any potential seriousness about them.

As to the rest, I'd agree if the comment had been about Mika, but IMO this is just a quick comment on the Brit nominees, publicised because of his comments on Macca. It's mostly the sort of uber-cool nonsense that unfortunately impresses a lot of people but I actually think his comment on Mika is intentionally LESS offensive than if he'd said "that guy hurts my eardrums" which contains a specific musical criticism. Like I said, I read it as meaning "He's not my cup of tea and I'm not gonna talk about him."

Or is that the real insult? Like HMV MIddlesbrough (who don't have Mika's CD in their Brit nominees display), he's not really taking Mika's nomination seriously

The Newport HMV has LICM on their display!:blink:

It wouldn't have bothered me as much if he'd said something like "he's not my cup of tea, and hurts my eardrums" because that is a criticism of his music, which in the context of interview being about the Brits, would have been expected, as we know a lot of the indie crowd don't like Mikas music.

But that quote he used, to me is more a personal attack, nothing to do with his music. And THAT I find offensive!

As does Mika, it would seem, and understandably so.

But this guy doesn't even do a good job of that. Maybe it's a difference in communication styles, but I don't see a vicious dig as being an effective way to dismiss someone. He could have referenced Mika's comparatively crappy album sales, or suggested that Calvin Harris (who he seems to like) is far more relevant today because he creates quality dance records that the music scene needs. But he doesn't. He just makes the "shot at birth" comment.

But going to all that trouble to explain why he thinks Mika doesn't deserve to be in the running for a Brit award would not be out-of-hand dismissal. He's not trying to argue any case, Mika is just such a non-factor to him he can't even be bothered to elaborate on it. I feel exactly the same way about Britney Spears.

When he makes such a comment do we really need any further explanation? We all know why he wishes Mika had been shot at birth. He has no respect for his music. I think it goes without saying and you really don't need to have a reason why you dislike something. He's not a music critic whose job it is to impartially judge Mika's work and report on it to his readership - he's just some guy with a big mouth voicing his opinion.

That really is the unacceptable bit - it's just nasty, pure and simple. There are too many people in the world who would kill someone (or have them executed) for disagreeing with them or because they dislike them. Some really mean it - eg religious extremists of many different types. Others are just sounding off because they think it makes them look clever and they hide behind the anonymity of the internet eg the "youtube/facebook hate brigade"

These second types worry me because a small number of them might not be joking, and they may take comfort in the apparent support of others, and take things a step too far. Publishing this guy's views, which are on a par with this group, in a newspaper gives them a spurious legitimacy that internet forums do not have. I expect newspapers - even the tabloids - to draw the line at publishing this kind of comment. It's not quite incitement to kill, but it makes me uncomfortable to see it in what I assume would think itself to be a respectable newspaper.

But Nectar- I clearly remember you shooting me when I said "I've got an essay, if you see me back on MFC in under an hour- shoot me." I don't remember you warning me that some people might take my request seriously. I know the world has changed since Alan McGee and I learned standard English phrases, but I'm unrepentant- I really think such caution is unnecessary, and I'm willing to bet I could find any number of British good guys saying such things and not being taken seriously for a second.

But going to all that trouble to explain why he thinks Mika doesn't deserve to be in the running for a Brit award would not be out-of-hand dismissal. He's not trying to argue any case, Mika is just such a non-factor to him he can't even be bothered to elaborate on it. I feel exactly the same way about Britney Spears.

When he makes such a comment do we really need any further explanation? We all know why he wishes Mika had been shot at birth. He has no respect for his music. I think it goes without saying and you really don't need to have a reason why you dislike something. He's not a music critic whose job it is to impartially judge Mika's work and report on it to his readership - he's just some guy with a big mouth voicing his opinion.

And I suppose that one line right there is what it all comes down to. I think my perspective on the whole thing is a remnant of my days on the high school debate team; a dig without any substance would have gotten you laughed out of the room and mocked for your lack of brains. But if you're just some big mouth voicing a bunch of drivel, I guess you don't need to explain yourself. :roftl:

But Nectar- I clearly remember you shooting me when I said "I've got an essay, if you see me back on MFC in under an hour- shoot me." I don't remember you warning me that some people might take my request seriously. I know the world has changed since Alan McGee and I learned standard English phrases, but I'm unrepentant- I really think such caution is unnecessary, and I'm willing to bet I could find any number of British good guys saying such things and not being taken seriously for a second.

But that was for fun :gun2:

I didn't mean you deserved to be shot :no:

I often say I could kill someone when they do something annoying (usually at work :aah:) but I wouldn't even write it in an e-mail, let alone allow myself to be quoted in a national newspaper :shocked:

But that was for fun :gun2:

I didn't mean you deserved to be shot :no:

I often say I could kill someone when the do something annoying (usually at work :aah:) but I wouldn't even write it in an e-mail, let alone allow myself to be quoted in a national newspaper :shocked:

Many people find the idea of shooting people fun, it saddens me to see you encouraging them :naughty:

Seriously, I think AMG wishes Mika was dead about as much as you'd like to kill your colleagues. Indeed, if they're anything like my colleagues...

"Seriously" would appear to be my word of the day

Many people find the idea of shooting people fun, it saddens me to see you encouraging them :naughty:

Seriously, I think AMG wishes Mika was dead about as much as you'd like to kill your colleagues. Indeed, if they're anything like my colleagues...

"Seriously" would appear to be my word of the day

Seriously - what I wish for and what I write down may well be very different :mf_rosetinted:

SS same as snogging .. I dont agree with you

But thats the fun thing about a forum , we dont always have to agree

:biggrin2:

Life would be very dull if we did. But next time anyone offers to snog me, I will subject them to a detailed linguistic discussion before agreeing :thumb_yello: Just in case. (Though- gentlemen- I am still more likely to respond favourably to "May I kiss you?" than "Can I snog you?")

And I suppose that one line right there is what it all comes down to. I think my perspective on the whole thing is a remnant of my days on the high school debate team; a dig without any substance would have gotten you laughed out of the room and mocked for your lack of brains. But if you're just some big mouth voicing a bunch of drivel, I guess you don't need to explain yourself. :roftl:

But this interview wasn't part of a high school debate. He's talking music, and just with any form of art, you can like or dislike something without having to justify yourself in a 2 pages well argumented essay. Some bands make me cringe, it's just visceral, and I don't want to ask myself why nor to have to overanalyse what I think they did wrong, especially if I ain't commenting their music in the first place, but a ceremony they're taking part to. And I actually think it's great some people out there still have honest rants and don't bother to edulcorate their feelings trying to sound politically correct.

And I'll stop here for now I'm really sounding like I'm standing up for McGee, which wasn't my original intention. I just don't get why a simple sentence made by someone you don't care about can cause such an uproar :naughty:

Life would be very dull if we did. But next time anyone offers to snog me, I will subject them to a detailed linguistic discussion before agreeing :thumb_yello: Just in case. (Though- gentlemen- I am still more likely to respond favourably to "May I kiss you?" than "Can I snog you?")

What about May I snog you or Can I kiss you? :lmfao:

I think its a real insult .:blink: really not a question for me , just a nasty little dig you know? ... I would prefer Mika hurts my ear drums ... ok thats his call then , but to say "shot at birth" , so he wouldnt have had a life .. is he that bad? .. nasty in my eyes

agree.

I think that is the real insult. He's essentially saying that Mika shouldn't even be a player in the pop music scene, muchless competing for a Brit award. The shot at birth thing is not meant to conjure up images of violence, it's just a way to dismiss him completely.

well, but to me, it DOES conjure up images of violence. is it common to say that in the english language, just to state that you don't like someone? :blink: to me, it isn't - i take it literally, and in this case, the expression is totally unacceptable. :no:

• 5 months later...
This morning I found this:

“If this is what the British music industry has to offer, we should close down the recording studios now because it is so sad. It has never been worse apart from the 1950s but at least then they had Elvis.”

McGee moaned: “Coldplay are a dilution of a dilution of a dilution.”

Continuing his rant, he said of Sir Paul McCartney: “John Lennon is probably firing bullets from another dimension as we speak. Just give in Paul. Can’t he and people like him retire.

“Music should be like football. Once you turn 40 you should become a manager or get lost.”

However, he did reserve some kind words for some Brit nominees, adding: “Calvin (Harris) is cool and I love Muse.. I think Robbie Williams latest stuff is quality pop music, though it is not my thing. He makes good pop.

Lily Allen is a good pop star. But Pixie Lott, I mean, for God’s sake. Mika should have been shot at birth, and while we’re at it, we should shoot JLS.”

Erm...

1. WHAT is wrong with the 1950s??? Ella Fitzgerald? Buddy Holly? Frank Sinatra? No?!

2. Coldplay... yeah, they can be a bit MOR, but have you heard Yellow, Viva La Vida, or Violet Hill? All truly great, poppy songs, but not one exact genre. (And yes, I ditto everyone's comments about Oasis.)

3. "Once musicians get to 40 they should retire"? STEVIE WONDER. JS BACH. CHRIS REA!!! That's simply not true.

4. Calvin Harris - "Music, real music, isn’t about whether something is cool or not, or what nightclub you go to, or how much you don’t eat." - Thank you, Nerina Pallot. Cool equals good how??

5. IMO, Robbie's new music is only REALLY decent because of Mr Horn - the melodies are still pretty similar, the lyrics still quite poor, etc. But yeah, it's not bad pop.

6. What's his basis on "for God's sake" regarding Pixie Lott? I'm not actually a fan of hers, particularly, but it's the same with Lily Allen. My point is, if you're going to criticise someone, you should at least give a reason. He says "Lily Allen is a good pop star. (Why???) But Pixie Lott, I mean, for God's sake. (I repeat, Why???)

7. I, for one, can't actually tell Calvin Harris and JLS apart. It's all one big, clubby, hyped-up blur. Though I do think the Pineapple Hedward was good. (Crowdies - Did you see what I did there? Did you??)

8. I feel I should decline comment on the "shot at birth" thing, but I couldn't wish that on anyone, even Miley Cyrus, or Justin Beiber... except... it is tempting...:aah:

No, but seriously, that's horrendous. You can't go killing everyone that's ever annoyed you. It's just a ridiculous comment from a has-been. Nobody likes Oasis. Nobody knows who you are. Nobody cares what you think.

The whole point of a review is to air your opinions. But if you're going to come up with ridiculous, self-contradictory comments like that, just keep your mouth shut.

IMO.

This morning I found this:

Alan McGee Gives Coldplay, Paul McCartney, Mika and The Brits A Good Kicking

The former Creation Records boss believes that The Brits should be axed altogether, Macca should retire and he'd rather eat someone else's earwax than listen to Coldplay.

Casting his eye over the nominees for this year's Brit Awards, he blasted to the Daily Record: ”They should get rid of the Brits and start again with 20 music journalists who actually care about music.

“If this is what the British music industry has to offer, we should close down the recording studios now because it is so sad. It has never been worse apart from the 1950s but at least then they had Elvis.”

Asked for his thoughts about the nomination for Coldplay's 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' in the Best Album of the Past 30 Years category, McGee moaned: “Coldplay are a dilution of a dilution of a dilution. Chris Martin makes me want to eat someone else’s earwax rather than listen to his record.”

Continuing his rant, he said of Sir Paul McCartney: “John Lennon is probably firing bullets from another dimension as we speak. Just give in Paul. Can’t he and people like him retire.

“Music should be like football. Once you turn 40 you should become a manager or get lost.”

However, he did reserve some kind words for some Brit nominees, adding: “Calvin (Harris) is cool and I love Muse.. I think Robbie Williams latest stuff is quality pop music, though it is not my thing. He makes good pop.

Lily Allen is a good pop star. But Pixie Lott, I mean, for God’s sake. Mika should have been shot at birth, and while we’re at it, we should shoot JLS.”

source:http://www.gigwise.com/news/54332/Alan-McGee-Gives-Coldplay-Paul-McCartney-Mika-and-The-Brits-A-Good-Kicking

I don't know WHO is this guy but sucks a lot!!

Who is this stupid man or woman? Why doesn´t he shot himself and close his mouth forever?

Is he blind? Doesn't he see how many people love Mika? If he doesn't like don´t listen but don´t say stupid things like this!!!

don't worry about this, newbies... this guy is just a sad moron.:wink2:

We have discussed it in detail, so if you are curious about what we have found out about the guy and what people's conclusions were when the article appeared, just read through the whole thread..:thumb_yello:

hi. I have just read that guys article. what an absolute moron got me so angry. yeah most of the people he was right about but to say that about mika that was just mean. :thumbdown:

I left a comment on the page as I was so annoyed.

Archived