Mika: "What does Alan McGee know about me?"

marian538

LOL I love it. Not nearly as sensational but definitely a lot more accurate.

I think papers miss a trick with not having headlines like that occasionally - they would stand out amidst the usual hype and would make people take notice and smile. I know you can't have entire newspapers being moderate, reasonable and factually accurate - they wouldn't sell - but the occasional variety would be good IMHO :pinkbow:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yepit should definitely be changed:

MILDLY BAFFLED MIKA FIRES BACK AT McGEE ; Singer's slight giggle at Brits rant

I'd be more likely to read that (except that I read everything with Mika in the headline)- I'm sick of celebs always "storming" "fuming" or "rejoicing" and would welcome one who admitted to being "mildly baffled" or "slightly giggling"

I think papers miss a trick with not having headlines like that occasionally - they would stand out amidst the usual hype and would make people take notice and smile. I know you can't have entire newspapers being moderate, reasonable and factually accurate - they wouldn't sell - but the occasional variety would be good IMHO :pinkbow:

I'd be more likely to read that (except that I read everything with Mika in the headline)- I'm sick of celebs always "storming" "fuming" or "rejoicing" and would welcome one who admitted to being "mildly baffled" or "slightly giggling"

Snap!

Oh definitely, I'd love to read why someone was mildly baffled or miffed. I think miffed would be a good one.

I might start a blog with stories like that, 'so and so didn't call so and so a slag, how lovely!'

Actually, perhaps 'Mildly Miffed Mika' would be better journalese. Alliteration and all that. Now that's an attention grabbing headline :mf_rosetinted:

Edit: Jazzy beat me to the miffed. I am mildly miffed at this LOL.

:biggrin2: And why does that sound plausible??? :naughty:

:thumb_yello:

I do think there is a lot of thinly disguised homophobia behind a lot of the rude comments aimed at Mika by some of the men in the media. Sort of "If I support this guy, people might think I'm gay so I'll slag him off instead" Yes - I know it's pathetic, but these guys do like to cultivate a macho/laddish image.

It goes with the even more pervasive mysogeny - how often have your heard music (including Mika's) being dismissed because it "only appeals to girls"

ANGRY MIKA FIRES BACK AT McGEE ; Singer's fury at Brits rant

POP sensation Mika has hit back at music mogul Alan McGee after he criticised the singer's Brit nomination.

In an exclusive interview with the Record, McGee attacked many of those up for gongs, including Sir Paul McCartney and Coldplay, as well as saying the awards should be scrapped.

During his rant, ex-Creation Records boss McGee, who discovered Oasis and Primal Scream, also blurted out: "Mika should have been shot at birth."

Mika is up for a Best Male Solo artist award at the Brits, hosted by Peter Kay in London's Earls Court, on February 16.

Beirut-born Mika, 26, fumed: "What does Alan McGee know about me? "Why would what I do relate to him? And why would what I do deserve an opinion from someone like him? "I make music that comes from the circumstances I have lived with.

"My music is a direct result of the life I have had and continue to have.

"I have always done it from a very organic place that I have been very proud of and without thinking about other people's opinions.

"I am a target for certain types of people to criticise. They feel that it increases the attention and column inches they get.

"I'm not willing to take part in their little game or retaliate in any way except to say that I don't care.

"Let him go off and club with every supermodel in London and rest on the cool laurels that he has laid for himself like prickly thorns. He can keep that life. I'm happy with mine."

Mika, born Michael Holbrook Penniman, stormed the British pop scene in 2007 with his infectious brand of melodic pop.

His debut album, Life In Cartoon Motion, sold six million copies and spawned hits Grace Kelly, Big Girl (You Are Beautiful), Lollipop and Relax, Take It Easy.

Last year's follow-up album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, was also a million-seller.

His rivals for a Brit are Calvin Harris, Dizzee Rascal, Paolo Nutini and Robbie Williams. Mika admitted: "Calvin is brilliant. Paolo is undeniably talented. "Dizzee's had an amazing run and Robbie is establishment now. It's an honour to be nominated with them."

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/140703116

This is our boy :mf_rosetinted: !!! :teehee:

Well said Mika! I have registered and left a comment under the name Malmaz, if anyone wants to read it.

Well said Mika! I have registered and left a comment under the name Malmaz, if anyone wants to read it.

Ican't see it :blink:

edit - found it in the Daily Record

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/music-news/2010/02/01/exclusive-pop-singer-mika-hits-back-at-music-mogul-alan-mcgee-over-brit-award-criticism-86908-22010309/

I do think there is a lot of thinly disguised homophobia behind a lot of the rude comments aimed at Mika by some of the men in the media. Sort of "If I support this guy, people might think I'm gay so I'll slag him off instead" Yes - I know it's pathetic, but these guys do like to cultivate a macho/laddish image.

It goes with the even more pervasive mysogeny - how often have your heard music (including Mika's) being dismissed because it "only appeals to girls"

I agree with you. It's never the fact that people dare to criticise Mika and say they don't like his music that offends me, in cases such as these. It's the manner in which some people slag him off. It's the tone of voice, the hidden agenda, the nasty undertone which I object to. People are free to dislike Mika's music and even Mika himself (although I find it hard to imagine how he can be disliked on a personal level :blink:), but I find many commentators' motives suspicious, small-minded and yes, offensive.

Actually, perhaps 'Mildly Miffed Mika' would be better journalese. Alliteration and all that. Now that's an attention grabbing headline :mf_rosetinted:

Edit: Jazzy beat me to the miffed. I am mildly miffed at this LOL.

Can't beat a bit of alliteration can you? Still great minds think alike! *high five*

Oh absolutely, my brother is a prime example of this, whenever Mika's on the radio, first thing he says (and this is a 22 year old man who is actually, on the whole, pretty open minded) "he's a bender isn't he?"

Obviously it's partly to wind me up and it doesn't work at all. My normal response is 'Why d'you wanna know? Shall I see if I can set you two up?' which usually shuts him up, but he's said to me a few times (mostly when drunk) 'actually, fair play to him, he's different, he writes his own stuff and he plays his own music. I don't mind him actually, some of his songs are quite good'.

My Dad, on the other hand (who comes from a different generation and is uncomfortable about homosexuality, but not prejudiced against gays) absolutely adores Mika and he'll dance around to Relax while he's working and demanded that I put LICM on his iPod.

I think it's all about maturity and being comfortable enough to say 'I don't give a damn what anybody thinks about me'. Cos let's face it, anyone who judges someone on the music they listen to isn't worth wasting a second on.

[/essay]

LOL I love it. Not nearly as sensational but definitely a lot more accurate.

I'm so glad he said something, and I'm so glad it was such a classy comeback, cos of course he's gonna get slagged off left right and centre, he's a controversial guy and we love it, but Alan McGee couldn't even bring himself to slag off his music.

Personally I think he's repressing homosexual tendencies and seeing Mika on the television had brought them out full force in a massive man crush, which, as an angry sort of guy, he probably doesn't deal with very well, so instead wants to kill the problem at its source, ie, our handsome devil's birth.

:roftl: Hmmm! Stop giving me ideas for McGee/Mika sci-fi slash fanfic :naughty:

:roftl: Hmmm! Stop giving me ideas for McGee/Mika sci-fi slash fanfic :naughty:

Oooft The Doctor could get involved and it'll be a dramatic race to see who can pilot the Tardis to the others' birthplace first so they can shoot them, and they all realise it's very very silly and they sit down and watch Snatch together.

And then have sex.

Actually, I Google imaged Alan Mcgee and bloooody hell. No wonder he's bitter, he's ginger!

Oooft The Doctor could get involved and it'll be a dramatic race to see who can pilot the Tardis to the others' birthplace first so they can shoot them, and they all realise it's very very silly and they sit down and watch Snatch together.

And then have sex.

Actually, I Google imaged Alan Mcgee and bloooody hell. No wonder he's bitter, he's ginger!

Erm...

I've cancelled all engagements for the next three weeks while I write this masterpiece. Thanks for your input :naughty:.

Yepit should definitely be changed:

MILDLY BAFFLED MIKA FIRES BACK AT McGEE ; Singer's slight giggle at Brits rant

I love it! :biggrin2:

Personally I think he's repressing homosexual tendencies and seeing Mika on the television had brought them out full force in a massive man crush, which, as an angry sort of guy, he probably doesn't deal with very well, so instead wants to kill the problem at its source, ie, our handsome devil's birth.

:lmfao: I use this argument on YouTube when people come to my somewhat obscure videos to slag him off. Like...you obviously LOVE Mika, why else would you be searching all over YouTube to watch videos of him? :fisch:

People are free to dislike Mika's music and even Mika himself (although I find it hard to imagine how he can be disliked on a personal level :blink:), but I find many commentators' motives suspicious, small-minded and yes, offensive.

Yes I know we're biased but I really find it difficult to imagine anyone who has had a one-on-one conversation with Mika could possibly dislike him on a personal level. Mika makes out like he shuns other pop stars and celebrities in general but it seems to me he picks up friends everywhere he goes, young and old, more and less famous than he is, from all creative areas.

And since he ALWAYS conducts himself with this kind of grace in public no matter how rude people are to him I can't believe he's got much of a reputation for being a jerk in the industry. He really never does anything to warrant these kinds of attacks.

My Dad, on the other hand (who comes from a different generation and is uncomfortable about homosexuality, but not prejudiced against gays) absolutely adores Mika and he'll dance around to Relax while he's working and demanded that I put LICM on his iPod.

Well, as someone that come from the word MACHO was created :naughty:, and from a country where machoism (I have been looking for the word to translate it and I think is correct :blink:) is nastily normal I have to say my father loves Mika's music, and he belongs to that generation too, he also loves Freddie Mercury, so I agree with you :thumb_yello:

I think it's all about maturity and being comfortable enough to say 'I don't give a damn what anybody thinks about me'. Cos let's face it, anyone who judges someone on the music they listen to isn't worth wasting a second on.

You are absolutely right. I also think that it is people who feel uncomfortable with their own identity / sexuality or think they need to prove that they are a fine example of the male archetype who keep diminishing Mika as a musician.

It is also rather typical that the only argument they are able to come up with is that he is gay / sings too high... And that is an something I don't even bother to start arguing about.

It's very clever Mika replied to him in his own sharp style showing that he doesn't care about such incompetent and obviously very personal and mean "critical" opinion.

If this guy discovered Oasis, that doesn't give him the right to bash another artists. Mika intuitively got the image of Mr McGee as a very conservative person including possible homophobia and mysoginia. His comment about him clubbing with every London supemodel proves that IMO. :thumb_yello:

Yes I know we're biased but I really find it difficult to imagine anyone who has had a one-on-one conversation with Mika could possibly dislike him on a personal level. Mika makes out like he shuns other pop stars and celebrities in general but it seems to me he picks up friends everywhere he goes, young and old, more and less famous than he is, from all creative areas.

And since he ALWAYS conducts himself with this kind of grace in public no matter how rude people are to him I can't believe he's got much of a reputation for being a jerk in the industry. He really never does anything to warrant these kinds of attacks.

I completely agree. He is just a nice guy. Any negative press always comes from someone else's opinions, not anything Mika has actually done himself on a personal level.

This guy's just having a rant I guess, a bit like I do sometimes - get me on Justin Timberlake etc etc, I mean I bet he's not a bad guy personally, but I can still do a good rant on him based on what I think of his music. :naughty:

Hmm, maybe I could be making some money out of this ranting.....mwhahaha I will soon be very, very rich.

Well, as someone that come from the word MACHO was created :naughty:, and from a country where machoism (I have been looking for the word to translate it and I think is correct :blink:) is nastily normal I have to say my father loves Mika's music, and he belongs to that generation too, he also loves Freddie Mercury, so I agree with you :thumb_yello:

Here's the same. Bronski Beat, Mika, Freddie, Bee Gees, Leo Sayer, no one from my family and relatives consider their falsetto as the "gay indicator".:aah:

Erm...

I've cancelled all engagements for the next three weeks while I write this masterpiece. Thanks for your input :naughty:.

Hahaha excellenttttttt. There has to be at LEAST one Sonic Screwdriver joke.

:lmfao: I use this argument on YouTube when people come to my somewhat obscure videos to slag him off. Like...you obviously LOVE Mika, why else would you be searching all over YouTube to watch videos of him? :fisch:

Yeah I don't get that AT all. Youtube people are just odd creatures in general. They like being negative. One person I saw yesterday said 'we shouldn't help Haiti, they didn't send aid when the planes hit the Twin Towers'. I wanted to find him, slap him, and educate him, but unfortunately the internet grants us all utter anonymity so such things are impossible, unless I REALLY tried.

Not that I gave a toss what this guy said anyway.

Yes I couldn't give a toss what anyone has to say about Mika either. I guess if you're him though this kind of thing puts you in a position where you have to respond. It's got to be a right pain in the ass to be trying to build a career and you've got some loudmouth with a large audience saying stuff like that.

I have to say my father loves Mika's music, and he belongs to that generation too, he also loves Freddie Mercury, so I agree with you :thumb_yello:

I think that Mika would have been easily accepted in the 1980s and not have these "flamboyant" and "camp" labels attached to his name all the time. Everyone was flamboyant and camp by today's standards. Even the metalheads had long dyed hair, wore skin tight leather chaps, tons of makeup and jewellery, etc.

I don't know why society seems to have regressed since then and decided that this kind of showmanship is something to be criticized so harshly and held up as a reason to attack people's character and musical skills. :dunno:

I never understood the whole grunge and Britpop movement. Just medicore and unoriginal music from a bunch of average looking guys who look and sound like they should be pumping petrol for a living, not rock stars.

Don't know if he actually said any of that, but I hope he did. :pinkbow:

If Mika said these things - good for Mika!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Whoa. FIERCE!! :shocked::clap:

Although I wouldn't even give Alan McGee as much credit as Mika does, suggesting that his criticisms of Mika were based on the kind of music Mika makes. If that were the case, this moron would have had more to say than just "Mika should have been shot." I mean, that's not even an opinion of Mika's music, just babblings from some washed-up has-been. :bleh:

The arse took it personal - that is his only mistake - a big one mind you.

I don't agree with Alan's criticisms - but - the perosnal attack demonstrates what kind of lowlife this arse really is.

The rest is just more press for Mika & his music.:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Kudos Mika!!

Archived