The Camera Thread

lollipop_monkey

Since many of us have been to gigs and have brought cameras along, I thought it would be nice to start a thread where we could share some thoughts about cameras.

I had a Canon Powershot SD 890 IS, but it was really fragile (I broke it more than once) and didn't take great video at all. :bleh:

Does anyone have any recommendations for good little gig-friendly cameras that can handle both pics and vids? :biggrin2:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! I'm def going to keep an eye on this thread! My camera broke so I'm looking to buy a new one for the gigs :biggrin2:

I must say, I always love pictures taken with a powershot, but it's not the first time I hear the video quality sucks... Now, I'm not really into filming, but if you can get both in good quality for the same price... :teehee:

What I can say tho: stay away from fujifilm finepix :sneaky2: (the colorful ones)

Well, I'm not an expert, nothing like that, but here it goes.

I have a Sony camera and I can't complain! The sound quality is amazing for gigs, it's way better than Samsung cameras, for example. (at least the ones I've already used). :wink2:

You can see in my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/marylou05 , all videos were filmed with Sony cameras, except the videos of Nightwish gig, those were filmed with a Samsung camera...REALLY BAD IDEA!!! (oh, and nevermind the Scissor Sisters videos, those were made with a cell phone, nothing to do with this subject! LOL)

Mine is this one: http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/digital-camera/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-w115-b/

Easy to carry, easy to work with, nice resolution (7.2Mp), great sound recording...

Now you can easily find similar cameras, but with better resolution, and still not very expensive. :thumb_yello:

Negative point, IMO: you can't zoom in/out while recording, you have to adjust it before starting recording (on this point, Canon is better, I must say).

But in general, I'm pretty happy with my little precious! :wub2::aah:

Edited by Mary

This is mine at the moment

http://www.cameras.co.uk/camera-reviews/sony-dsc-w55.cfm

It's an ok camera ... I'd never got a digital one before ... so just went with a cheap one - only drawback is I can't zoom in once filming ... I have to do the zoom before I start which is a pain ... cos' I sometimes forget ... I want a better camera ... I've had this one a couple of years .... I'd certainly like one that combats that problem ... :aah:

Genius thread. I could have used this a few months ago. :aah:

I have a Canon Powershot SD960 IS. The videos came out pretty good and it takes great pictures, but I couldn't seem to find a mode where the shutter was fast enough to capture the blur that is Mika. :thumbdown:

mellody and tiibet shot great pics, i hope they give us some hints!:wink2:

i have a canon powershot a620, and tiibet has a newer model of that. they're not really small+light, but they're fab, in the manual mode you can set the shutter time, so you can take pix at gigs without flash. mine's from 2006 though, so there might be good AND small/light cameras meanwhile. :wink2: i found mine back then by researching online which camera would take good pix when there's not much light.

I have a Canon Ixus 95IS in pink :pinkbow:

It looks like this: http://www.dbplanet.nl/computer/contents/media/Canon%20IXUS%2095%20IS%20roze.jpg

A friend of mine asked in a store what the best camera is for concerts.

He first mentioned my Canon Ixus.

I think its a good one for them. here are two pics I took at concerts with my camera (of course the actual sizes are bigger)

this is zoomed in. not much, because I stood at front row

382608442.jpg

this one is also zoomed in. I guess people like my pink camera because I have more pictures of artists looking in my camera ;) (this is Milow)

382608441.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo after a lot of consideration, looking at a million reviews including test pictures, videos etc, I decided to order the Fujifilm Finepix F80EXR. It's not in stores yet, I have to wait until the end of March/early April but it's so worth it...

finepixf80exr.jpg

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/f/finepix_f80exr/

I couldn't decide between the Fujifilm Finepix F70EXR and the Panasonic Lumix TZ7. Mainly because, the f70exr is better for taking pictures in low light conditions, but the video quality is very poor... The TZ7 however has the best video quality ever :shocked: I mean look at this:

(watch in HD and be sure to watch how it zooms in! Amazing!)

So that's why I went with the f80exr, it has the picture quality I looked for but at the same time has hd video as well which the f70exr was lacking. I'm sure the video quality won't be as good as the one from the tz7, but I'm more of a snapper myself :wink2: + the fuji was cheaper as well.

I asked Sariflor about her new camera, the vids look great

Well, thanks Kaatje :naughty:, I still need to play around with it to get the most out of it, but it does look like a great little thing. It's the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 .

Apparently it has a new type of HD video format that takes up less space on the memory card, and has a really great zoom too, and wide angle lens for the pics. It's a nice little thing. Oh, and dolby stereo sound. I still need to read the manual though and play around with it to make the most of it I think :blink:

• 1 month later...
SHUT UP YOUR VIDEOS ARE AMAZING. :shocked:

:shocked::teehee:

They're just average... ok ... nothing special ... (of course for me they are, but I mean the quality etc.) .. and recorded with the oldest camera I have :aah:

I have 2 newer ones, one bought for the pictures and it's a very good one, but I hoped the videos would be as great as the pics .. wich isn't :boxed: (video is, sound isn't :aah:). And recently I bought a new, very small Canon, thought it would be perfect for gigs because it's so small (and my other one was broken at the time ) but it doesn't record well either :sad: And the pics are a disaster too (once you're used to something good..) so I'm thinking of selling that one ..

Don't know what to do .. I really want a camera that can record HD with the sound that I have with my old one now .. but I don't know wich one can do that .. and if I say here at home that I'm gonna buy a new one I think they'll shoot me :teehee::aah: And it's a bit crazy .. because I have a perfect one for pictures, and an ok one for gigs .. so ..

:shocked::teehee:

They're just average... ok ... nothing special ... (of course for me they are, but I mean the quality etc.) .. and recorded with the oldest camera I have :aah:

I have 2 newer ones, one bought for the pictures and it's a very good one, but I hoped the videos would be as great as the pics .. wich isn't :boxed: (video is, sound isn't :aah:). And recently I bought a new, very small Canon, thought it would be perfect for gigs because it's so small (and my other one was broken at the time ) but it doesn't record well either :sad: And the pics are a disaster too (once you're used to something good..) so I'm thinking of selling that one ..

Don't know what to do .. I really want a camera that can record HD with the sound that I have with my old one now .. but I don't know wich one can do that .. and if I say here at home that I'm gonna buy a new one I think they'll shoot me :teehee::aah: And it's a bit crazy .. because I have a perfect one for pictures, and an ok one for gigs .. so ..

I recommend this one

http://www.jessops.com/Directory/catalogue.ashx/$s=Panasonic%20DMC%20TZ7

I have the TZ6 version ... which is the same but without HD - if you want HD you need that one ... Panasonic Lumix are really good ... I love mine :wub2:

Yeah .. I know ... When I bought my new one (the good-picture one) I was doubting between that one and the Panasonic, but since I'm a Canon-person ... Wrong choice I guess :aah:

I have a Canon SX 110 IS and i'm quiet happy with it.

i got it for $267 last year, it was really worth the money and i also love how it looks. I recently saw a new SX 120 which wasn't really different, just had a higher pixel rate and was less expensive.

canon-powershot-sx110-is-front-back1.jpg

I really want to see the new Olympus Pen...:teehee:

I finally settled on the same camera as Sariflor - the Panasonic DMC-TZ7 (known as the ZS3 in North America).

I LOVE THIS CAMERA. IT IS THE PERFECT GIG CAMERA. :mf_lustslow:

It has 12x optical zoom, and allows you to zoom in and out while filming. It records Dolby sound in stereo. And the pics are pretty darn amazing too.

Check out this video. Make sure to watch it at 720p. :wub2:

And pics:

26992_10150148672850357_866015356_11807278_4565032_n.jpg

26992_10150148673460357_866015356_11807288_1754406_n.jpg

26992_10150148672875357_866015356_11807281_6972239_n.jpg

I finally settled on the same camera as Sariflor - the Panasonic DMC-TZ7 (known as the ZS3 in North America).

It has 12x optical zoom, and allows you to zoom in and out while filming. It records Dolby sound in stereo. And the pics are pretty darn amazing too.

And pics:

Yep, this camera is the best find, ever!!

I love it, even if I still haven't read the manual yet and I'm sure that I'm doing lots of things wrong :naughty:

And pics:

I knew I should have bought that one :tears:

*throws Canon at the wall* :sneaky2:

I knew I should have bought that one :tears:

*throws Canon at the wall* :sneaky2:

I know how you feel, sista. I have been a Canon freak for a long time, but this time I just had to make the tough decision to let Canon go and get this one :tears:.

You could always sell your current one on ebay; I did it with one of my 'failed purchases' and I got a good price for it, which I then put into getting the newer model :roftl:.

I know how you feel, sista. I have been a Canon freak for a long time, but this time I just had to make the tough decision to let Canon go and get this one :tears:.

You could always sell your current one on ebay; I did it with one of my 'failed purchases' and I got a good price for it, which I then put into getting the newer model :roftl:.

Yeah, I've been considering doing that. We'll see. Do you have any picture examples, or do you only take video?