Tell your experience as a Big Girl or Lollipop Girl!

macboll

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were shaking with the cold and it had begun to rain when John came out ‘Big Girls, Lollipop Girls’ and I asked if I was too old but he said there was no age barrier. A security man unfastened the real barrier and let me out of the queue. Vicky (LovesMika) and Kath were going for it too. And Darklight, but I didn’t know then that she was an MFCer. There were 11 of us and they were worried from the start that that was too many as the stage was small. They were also running behind schedule as they’d had a long and horrendous journey up from London. (possibly nearly as bad as poor bab) So, once fitted with wristbands, we were taken, by Yasmine, through the main room, where the band and crew were eating and the engineers were setting up, to look at us and our sizes. They wanted people to drop out but we all hung on in there! Yasmine was asking if we could dance and if we could keep a steady beat and we practised going on and off stage in a ‘day of the dead’ sort of way! Mika walked past and said hello, so we were all very happy. We had our heads fitted in the room right next to Mika’s dressing room so we could watch all the comings and goings. One of the big girls had the screaming abdabs when her head was put on, so she and her friend backed out. I was surprised at the smell (spray paint) and how secure it was (built on a cycle helmet with a strap). Mine was a pink skull. We trailed upstairs and were fitted into costumes – laced in tightly by Mrs P. She said it gave me a really nice shape. Odd, but yes, quite nice :) My corset was yellow with yellow and green knickers and sparkly black tights. At one point security got stressed when Mrs P had come into the room and asked us who she was. She was totally unconcerned as was Yasmine :) We laughed as the woman was told it was Mika’s mum. I should mention the state of the floor. I’m guessing it was covered nightly with beer that had nearly dried. Or glue! It was gross.

So, when we were in our costumes Yasmine practiced a revised dance; we were dropped altogether from Love Today because the stage was too small. I would have sent on 4, but they decided against it. We were allowed to take photos but not of crew or family and I was asked to delete a photo if I’d taken one of Yasmine, but I hadn’t. I had a practice of my conversational French with Mrs P. I don’t think she was impressed!

Then, with Erik Hassel already playing, we were led down to the mixing desk where all the sounds are controlled. We were squeezed in between the barriers with a few VIPs and left to watch the show. It was very different, seeing the show from a greater distance. I got a better overview of the book and the effects as I hadn’t been able to take my eyes off Mika in Dublin. From a bit further away you can see him and the rest of the stage in one eyeful. It was also strange to be laced up in a BG costume. It is brilliant for posture but does nothing for breathing, bending or relaxing. Added to which, we had our coats over the top – our nice warm queuing coats! So it was ridiculously hot. I knelt up on one of the boxes to watch until my knees could take it no more. I’m sorry if people behind me couldn’t see, but if I sat down, I couldn’t see either, so I’m afraid I did kneel up. It did cross my mind that I might faint with the heat and the lack of breathing, but I decided that would not be a good idea.

At the end of the show, we went backstage and collected our head from the costume room. We saw Mika dash from the stage to his dressing room and then back to the stage. The Dr John feather sack was there and as I was keeping my phone down my corset, I got a photo of it! I was last but one on the back row and we were told to do big actions, have some fun and go for it, and interact with the band. Yasmine said to tease Mika. Then we had to freeze as the music stopped, and go wild when it started again. I could see a bit – I saw that there was no-one to interact with, Mika motioned me to go forward but then bumped into me when he went past. I pointed down at Vicky (Mikafish) who I could see, but she didn’t notice. I danced in a circle to scope out the whole stage. And then it was over. Mika and most of the others took a bow, iMMa got me to the line just too late and then we went off.

It was really busy in the room we were supposed to change in, we were taken upstairs to the room next to the support band’s area and we took a few pictures of each other. There was a full length mirror so I got to actually see what I looked like!

~Jazzy can I use your photo to illustrate?~

Not happy with the yellow one? If get to be one, and have any choice, I want the orange one :teehee:

I wanted the bright blue. They had two but after starting to lace me up in one, Yasmine made her mum stop and use yellow - some artistic and creative thing going on about balancing the overall colour scheme .....

I wanted the bright blue. They had two but after starting to lace me up in one, Yasmine made her mum stop and use yellow - some artistic and creative thing going on about balancing the overall colour scheme .....

Awww... Maybe next time :wink2:

And the knickers are huge!

Well I hope so, we don't want our tush hanging out, now do we? :teehee::naughty:

Awww... Maybe next time :wink2:

No next time. It wouldn't be fair. Unless Mika came out on bended knee, and then I guess I'd think about it :roftl:

Well I hope so, we don't want our tush hanging out, now do we? :teehee::naughty:

Several tushes could have fitted in those!

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I really treasured my experience as a BG, so I was even considering starting a thread myself. Thanks for beating me to it, haha!

Anyway, hello to all of my fellow Big Girls! :wave: And to the Lollipop Girls as well. :wink2: I was the BG in pink at the Vancouver, BC show on October 27th. It was the last show of the North American tour, and my last chance to get up there and do it! I wrote a rather lengthy report on the experience in the original gig thread, so I won't retype every detail. Here's the link to my report:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2613457&postcount=6

Here are a few photos, starting with a group shot of all of the Vancouver Big Girls!

DSCN1622-2.jpg

Yasmine gave us our "war paint".

DSCN1626-1.jpg

I was really rocking those neon stripes, LOL!

DSCN1630-1.jpg

If you don't have time to read my complete review, I'll just share a few things about the experience. First of all, I am completely shocked that I had the guts to do it! :roftl: I'm terribly shy about my body, and would never leave the house in such an outfit, let alone dance in front of hundreds of strangers! I'm still not sure why I decided to do it. Probably because such wonderful reports kept rolling in from MFCers who had danced onstage earlier in the tour. They had so much fun, and such lovely pictures, I just had to get in on the excitement! Also, I'd had a very difficult year healthwise, and a shocking diagnosis that has really encouraged me to live life to the fullest, and go for what I want. So that's just what I did!

I tracked John down after the Seattle concert, and flat out asked him if I could dance in the Vancouver show (which is very unlike me, btw). He said to meet him at 5pm the next day at the venue. You bet your buns I was there, with a smile on my face, and tons of enthusiasm! (Christine and Mana will attest to that, lol!) John took me to meet Mama P, and she gave her approval. The getting ready process was hectic (and challenged my modesty) but I wouldn't trade the memories for the world! Mama P was so wonderful and encouraging. She wanted us to be comfortable, and was happy to adjust, and readjust my costume until I could breathe. :naughty:

Now, what I really appreciated about Mika, his family, and his crew, was the level of RESPECT with which we were treated. Like I said before, I am very modest and shy in regard to my body, but never once did I feel judged or disrepected by anyone. Maybe it's more of a reflection of my poor self esteem, but going into this, I felt like no one really wanted to see a fat girl in a burlesque costume, and that they must really think that it's gross. On the contrary, everyone told us that we looked beautiful, and I believed that they genuinely meant it. The crowd cheered, I danced, and it ended up being a very liberating, joyful experience.

Maybe I'm sharing a bit too much of my personal feelings, but I hope it helps ease the fears of someone who is too shy or ashamed to do it. I say, if you have any desire at all to become a Big Girl, DO IT! You won't regret it, I promise! It's over in just a couple of minutes, and you'll be so proud of yourself for donning the corset and fishnets. I promise! :biggrin2:

(Ironically, my main reason for not entering the WAG video competition was that I didn't think Mika would want to see me dance in my underwear. Then I end up dancing onstage with him in underwear! Go figure...)

Couldnt agree more! I never felt so pretty like I felt this week, with the body I have now!

I have been in the army, I have been slim...

Not happy with the yellow one? If get to be one, and have any choice, I want the orange one :teehee:

Ohhh I was wearing the orange one.

Ruth...that doesnt sound like a very awesome experience and soooo different to what we had in Dublin!!!:blink::shocked:

I hope you did have fun though...

That was laced up tight indeed...I might have felt so sick after the gig because of that maybe...

Oh nice! So is my bum! :aah:

Tell me something, Ruth...overall, did you like the experience? :wink2: You think it's worth it?

Yes it was worth it. But not the first time you see the show. And it really wouldn't suit everybody. I've been lucky getting to 3 out of the first 4 of this tour.

So Dublin was the 'first' and special, Sheffield was the same show so I was OK to miss some and see what happens backstage - (and no screaming) then last night in Manchester was my local gig but with different scenery, the book. And it is my last till May.

Are you going to any?

Oh nice! So is my bum! :aah:

:lmao:

Several tushes could have fitted in those!

That's a good thing! I have sort of the same problem Mary has :naughty: Pear shape sucks, am pretty sure I won't be able to fill up the top of the corset :aah: So does everything fit well? I read that you said it was very tight. Might not be as comfortable but I think I would prefer that over the other option :teehee:

Ruth...that doesnt sound like a very awesome experience and soooo different to what we had in Dublin!!!:blink::shocked:

That was laced up tight indeed...I might have felt so sick after the gig because of that maybe...

That's why I asked if it was worth it! :blush-anim-cl:

Yes it was worth it. But not the first time you see the show. And it really wouldn't suit everybody. I've been lucky getting to 3 out of the first 4 of this tour.

So Dublin was the 'first' and special, Sheffield was the same show so I was OK to miss some and see what happens backstage - (and no screaming) then last night in Manchester was my local gig but with different scenery, the book. And it is my last till May.

Are you going to any?

Just Lisbon... I wanted to try to be a Big Girl but... :blush-anim-cl:

I got really excited when I read Bianca's report, but yours didn't sound so encouraging, that's why I wanted to know your opinion. :wink2:

They were late getting to Sheffield, so we weren't changed in time to be given a good place (last night the girls were on the front row before the doors opened) And Yasmine choreographed us, not Mika. And we didn't get individual photos (only Kath as a special favour) and no signed photos. But there was enough to enjoy, perhaps not in the awesome league :blink:

That tweet and those flowers were awesome :D

He is the sweetest thing, aint he!!!

:fangurl:

Yeah, he tweeted that to me:wub2::teehee:

We are the luckiest girlies in the world!:wub2:

That we are! :wub2:

I hope Mika comes back here soon, I would love to have another go at being a big girl!

Now, what I really appreciated about Mika, his family, and his crew, was the level of RESPECT with which we were treated. Like I said before, I am very modest and shy in regard to my body, but never once did I feel judged or disrepected by anyone. Maybe it's more of a reflection of my poor self esteem, but going into this, I felt like no one really wanted to see a fat girl in a burlesque costume, and that they must really think that it's gross. On the contrary, everyone told us that we looked beautiful, and I believed that they genuinely meant it. The crowd cheered, I danced, and it ended up being a very liberating, joyful experience.

Maybe I'm sharing a bit too much of my personal feelings, but I hope it helps ease the fears of someone who is too shy or ashamed to do it. I say, if you have any desire at all to become a Big Girl, DO IT! You won't regret it, I promise! It's over in just a couple of minutes, and you'll be so proud of yourself for donning the corset and fishnets. I promise! :biggrin2:

I totally agree!

Everyone was great with us... I remember saying about how great I felt in the corset and Mrs P agreed with us... I wish I coud remember exactly what she said...

And, as I said, I wore the yellow corset! :sneaky2:

Awww yay!

It was really busy in the room we were supposed to change in, we were taken upstairs to the room next to the support band’s area and we took a few pictures of each other. There was a full length mirror so I got to actually see what I looked like!

Awesome! Would love to see pics!

That's why I asked if it was worth it! :blush-anim-cl:

Just Lisbon... I wanted to try to be a Big Girl, that's why I'm asking... :blush-anim-cl:

I got really excited when I read Bianca's report, but yours didn't sound so encouraging, that's why I wanted to know your opinion. :wink2:

It's always a tough one to judge. It can be great or good, maybe some will have worse experiences. We were all dreading being kicked out by Yasmine for being crap dancers. Luckily that didn't happen, but if lots and lots of girls want to do it, they will have to find a way to limit it. I don't know how it went last night in Manchester because not a single MFCer went in to dance. (and we thought they were very lack-lustre :sneaky2:)

On balance, If you're only going to one, I wouldn't do it, but if you're happy with the downsides....

Let me know in case I forget this conversation - what you decide at the time.

It's always a tough one to judge. It can be great or good, maybe some will have worse experiences. We were all dreading being kicked out by Yasmine for being crap dancers. Luckily that didn't happen, but if lots and lots of girls want to do it, they will have to find a way to limit it. I don't know how it went last night in Manchester because not a single MFCer went in to dance. (and we thought they were very lack-lustre :sneaky2:)

On balance, If you're only going to one, I wouldn't do it, but if you're happy with the downsides....

Let me know in case I forget this conversation - what you decide at the time.

Yeah...I really don't know how it will be, but...let's wait until April... :naughty:

I'll let you know! :wink2: Thanks!

That's a good thing! I have sort of the same problem Mary has :naughty: Pear shape sucks, am pretty sure I won't be able to fill up the top of the corset :aah: So does everything fit well? I read that you said it was very tight. Might not be as comfortable but I think I would prefer that over the other option :teehee:

I didn't realise that mine was too big at the top, but I stuffed my big black gloves down there and had my phone in the bodice as well :thumb_yello:

Everything felt very secure. They even lent me a pair of boots because I was in trainers.

I didn't realise that mine was too big at the top, but I stuffed my big black gloves down there and had my phone in the bodice as well :thumb_yello:

Everything felt very secure. They even lent me a pair of boots because I was in trainers.

Your phone? Also when you were on stage? Hmmm, that might be a good option for not losing stuff :teehee:

So, would you do it again?

:lmao:

So did I... I almost got kicked out of the big girls cause I'm too small in the bust area. Other than that, it fits pretty well. You can get the person doing it up to do it tight around the top if you're worried about it.

Ruth: that's cool that you got to wear other shoes... I was fine in my shoes (I had gold converse high tops :fangurl:)

love reading those reports! :wub2:

btw, does anyone know what maximum shoe size they have for the LGs? :fisch: i'm sure i'd fit in the dress, but the shoes are something different... :boxed:

well i'm a size 8 and the lollipop girl shoes fitted me comfortably I thought it'd be a major problem & that they'd only have tiny sizes but luckily they had larger ones *phew*

We were shaking with the cold and it had begun to rain when John came out ‘Big Girls, Lollipop Girls’ and I asked if I was too old but he said there was no age barrier. A security man unfastened the real barrier and let me out of the queue. Vicky (LovesMika) and Kath were going for it too. And Darklight, but I didn’t know then that she was an MFCer. There were 11 of us and they were worried from the start that that was too many as the stage was small. They were also running behind schedule as they’d had a long and horrendous journey up from London. (possibly nearly as bad as poor bab) So, once fitted with wristbands, we were taken, by Yasmine, through the main room, where the band and crew were eating and the engineers were setting up, to look at us and our sizes. They wanted people to drop out but we all hung on in there! Yasmine was asking if we could dance and if we could keep a steady beat and we practised going on and off stage in a ‘day of the dead’ sort of way! Mika walked past and said hello, so we were all very happy. We had our heads fitted in the room right next to Mika’s dressing room so we could watch all the comings and goings. One of the big girls had the screaming abdabs when her head was put on, so she and her friend backed out. I was surprised at the smell (spray paint) and how secure it was (built on a cycle helmet with a strap). Mine was a pink skull. We trailed upstairs and were fitted into costumes – laced in tightly by Mrs P. She said it gave me a really nice shape. Odd, but yes, quite nice :) My corset was yellow with yellow and green knickers and sparkly black tights. At one point security got stressed when Mrs P had come into the room and asked us who she was. She was totally unconcerned as was Yasmine :) We laughed as the woman was told it was Mika’s mum. I should mention the state of the floor. I’m guessing it was covered nightly with beer that had nearly dried. Or glue! It was gross.

So, when we were in our costumes Yasmine practiced a revised dance; we were dropped altogether from Love Today because the stage was too small. I would have sent on 4, but they decided against it. We were allowed to take photos but not of crew or family and I was asked to delete a photo if I’d taken one of Yasmine, but I hadn’t. I had a practice of my conversational French with Mrs P. I don’t think she was impressed!

Then, with Erik Hassel already playing, we were led down to the mixing desk where all the sounds are controlled. We were squeezed in between the barriers with a few VIPs and left to watch the show. It was very different, seeing the show from a greater distance. I got a better overview of the book and the effects as I hadn’t been able to take my eyes off Mika in Dublin. From a bit further away you can see him and the rest of the stage in one eyeful. It was also strange to be laced up in a BG costume. It is brilliant for posture but does nothing for breathing, bending or relaxing. Added to which, we had our coats over the top – our nice warm queuing coats! So it was ridiculously hot. I knelt up on one of the boxes to watch until my knees could take it no more. I’m sorry if people behind me couldn’t see, but if I sat down, I couldn’t see either, so I’m afraid I did kneel up. It did cross my mind that I might faint with the heat and the lack of breathing, but I decided that would not be a good idea.

At the end of the show, we went backstage and collected our head from the costume room. We saw Mika dash from the stage to his dressing room and then back to the stage. The Dr John feather sack was there and as I was keeping my phone down my corset, I got a photo of it! I was last but one on the back row and we were told to do big actions, have some fun and go for it, and interact with the band. Yasmine said to tease Mika. Then we had to freeze as the music stopped, and go wild when it started again. I could see a bit – I saw that there was no-one to interact with, Mika motioned me to go forward but then bumped into me when he went past. I pointed down at Vicky (Mikafish) who I could see, but she didn’t notice. I danced in a circle to scope out the whole stage. And then it was over. Mika and most of the others took a bow, iMMa got me to the line just too late and then we went off.

yes it was incredibly hard to breathe at the gig wasn't it & for me i already suffer trouble with a very dried out nose & i was born asthmatic (I may have grown out of the asthma but I still have "fun" with my breathing from time to time it just isn't deadly & life threatening anymore)

i did feel i'd pass out though, with having "fun" breathing & also having little to eat or drink that day I thought i'd pass out!!! not good stuff

Great report. Thx! :thumb_yello:

Tease Mika.... i like that :naughty:

well i'm a size 8 and the lollipop girl shoes fitted me comfortably I thought it'd be a major problem & that they'd only have tiny sizes but luckily they had larger ones *phew*

ah thanx, that's fab! :biggrin2: i'm a size 9, but for a few hours would be able to wear size 8 as well - who needs comfort, guess i'll be distracted from my hurting feet by the not-being-able-to-breathe under the head anyway! :lmfao: but i'm glad they don't just have tiny sizes in which i wouldn't have fitted unless cutting off my toe like the cinderella sisters. :naughty:

i really wonder why i want to do this. :naughty: but guess it's the same like with queuing, i always wonder why i choose to stand for hours in the freezing cold, rain, snow,... (or burning sun), but it's always so worth it in the end! :wub2: and just being part of mika's show, no matter if i get to see him backstage or get to dance with him or not, would be worth all the hassle for me as well, i believe. :original:

Thanks a lot, Ruth, for your report! :flowers2:

Thanks to everybody who have posted in this thread! :group_hug:

I could be a Lollipop girl, size 8/10, shoes size 4, but I'm not sure I have the guts, so maybe...

I'm still looking forward new reports, and will read the previous ones posted in 2007 and 2008.

Archived