REPORT/PICS/VIDS: MIKA @ the Apollo, Manchester: 19-FEB-2010

Marilyn Mastin

Hey! I thought I'd write a little report of my own.

This was my first MIKA gig and my god was I excited. The morning of the gig I woke up at about 7 and could not get back to sleep, so I got up plugged my ipod into the speakers and played both albums and the live at Parc Des Princes cd back to back by this time I was really buzzing and couldn't wait for my friend to arrive so we could go and catch the train!

We got to the station at about 11 and we had to wait about half an hour for the train to come, during this time we were discussing our favourite MIKA songs and considering the setlist etc. (I had managed to not look at any reports, videos or pictures, so was completely clueless and proud to have managed to do that!!)

The train journey was about 40 minutes, (Stoke to Manchester) and I was getting more and more excited by the minute! We got off the train and felt the temperature and nearly died! So we rushed to Burger King and ate! The we went into Primark because I wanted to find a cheap crazy piece of clothing to wear but Primark failed and I just wanted to get to the Apollo and queue! So we started walking down to the Apollo from the city centre and saw that there was already a good 50 people there, this was at about 3 o'clock. But we thought it wouldn't hurt to nip to MacDonalds to get a drink and go to the toilets! and buy some HOT food! We got back to the queue and were just outside of the sheltered part of the apollo so were FREEZING but I knew it would be worth it!

Behind us we met these two really nice girls who ended up being lollipop girls and big girls, which I loved! There were really excited and I remember one of them came back round and jumped up and down because she'd met MIKA's mum! :teehee: Anyway, the queuing time dragged really really badly! It was horrible, I thought I actually had hypothermia! The security really annoyed me, it was at least 10 past 7 and they were just chatting and laughing in the nice, warm foyer! But they finally let us in and we thought we'd get good positions in the second row, but then I was like desperate for the toilet and would no way be able to hold it for 3 hours! So i had to go and we ended up in the fourth row! Still not bad!

Again, it felt like years before Erik Hassle came on and frankly I was unimpressed! I didn't feel he warmed the crowd up nor did he sell himself! So I was just waiting until half 8 when he was leaving! I'm not knocking the voice though, I did think he had a very strong voice!

After this it was another half an hour wait until MIKA, luckily to make time go slightly quicker, I got a text saying who'd killed Archie Mitchell in Eastenders :aah:, these two women standing behind us, got very worried that we were gonna shout out who'd done it and they said "please don't say who killed him, I've got it on iPlayer at home!" So we were nice and kept it to ourselves. By this time it was about 5 to, and I was buzzing like hell!

Finally, David (I found out his name, at the end of the gig) came on to start writing at the desk and the big black sheet (don't know if it has a proper name) came down and I went wild! I loved the co-ordination between David and the notebook, the graphics on the screen were incredible and then Rain began! What a way to begin, when MIKA arrived from behind the piano, I was actually starstruck (I've been to many gigs, big and small and never felt as starstruck as this) and he started off the show with such amazing energy! I was jumping around yelling rain at the top of my voice and while he was singing, I thought I was the only person there!

Then he sang Big Girl and again the energy he performs with is unreal, but it never seems as though it's forced like it is with other artists. We then got some MIKA piano treatment, when he performed Stuck In The Middle, firstly the piano was incredible, it looked like broken mirrored glass, then it lit up and I finally noticed that it was see through! There was this fantastic part where he asked one of his band members (I feel awful not knowing his name :sad:) to play the trumpet, where he basically failed :teehee: and then MIKA did and oh-my-god! It was an incredible impression! He then performed a personal favourite of mine Any Other World and it was like I was in another world! Incredible vocal performance. This was followed by another favourite Billy Brown and then we got Blame It On The Girls, I started to record but just stopped becuase I had to focus too much on the camera and I loved the song! He then did Blue Eyes and then in my opinion the best song off the second album Touches You, where he did these incredible MIKA dance moves! We were then treated to his incredible shiny silver umbrella for I See You, where I took a few pretty good photos and he climbed up onto the piano and it was just a beautiful ballady moment in the set! Then this feathery jacket dropped from up above and MIKA's acting skills took centre stage for Dr John and then he performed another favourite Good Gone Girl, which was then followed by an amazing violin concerto introduction to Happy Ending, this was the moment when my camera cut out! :furious: The only good thing about this was that I could focus completely on the show! Nonetheless, the performance was incredible and was followed by Love Today and then Relax, where the crowd was treated to some chair dancing! and he demanded that everyone who cared should jump! So i leaped into the air! and the final song on the main set was We Are Golden and there was an incredible introduction and then the crowd went wild!

MIKA then came back on stage with this terrifying puppet, but I loved it at the same time, he did a great little bit with it, trying to make it sit upright but ultimately failing and then started bashing it's arm on the piano and then apologised to the crowd! He then ended saying something along the lines of " It's something when you're onstage talking to a f*****g puppet! :roftl:

He then performed Toy Boy and Grace Kelly both were again amazing performances! He then left the stage again and they set up the dustbins!

The backing band took positions behind their bins and then MIKA entered taking the centre bin and they performed this awesome bin bashing routine, incredible and then he performed Lollipop where we had confetti everywhere and multi-coloured streamers! The lollipop girls and big girls with their terrifying skull heads came back on and danced and I tried to find the two girls behind us but had no idea which was them! Lollipop finished the band, lollipops and big girls and MIKA bowed and left! That was the end! Probably the biggest and most stunning show i've ever been to! I couldn't believe I'd just witnessed it!

I grabbed as much confetti and streamers and stuffed my pockets! :biggrin2: and we made our way to the Merch Stand, there was far too much to choose from! So I bought a poster (a compulsory item for me at any gig!), an exercise book because I thought that was a really unique piece of merch! and a T-Shirt with all of the tour dates on! and we excited the Apollo!

We then looked at the time, and had to sprint to Manchester Picc. Train Station because our train was at 11:15 and it was 10:50! We got to the station to see the horror of our train LEAVING! We were basically stranded in Manchester!!! :shocked:

We weren't actaully bothered though becuase I was on such a high! So we thought we'd see what time the next train was, the board said 5:40! :shocked::shocked: So we went back down to the Apollo to see if MIKA was there but there was no-one waiting so we assumed that the M&G had finished so we walked back to the station got a coffee and prepared for a 4 and a half hour wait! So we listened to both MIKA albums again :naughty: and Marina's new album and played some games and learnt the timetables and had a lot of fun actaully!

The train came at about 4:50 and we were allowed to get on and absorb the warmth!!!!!! We got back into Stoke at about half 6 and went home! I was still not at all sleepy so I just threw all the confetti all around my house and danced around!

And that was my MIKA experience! Turns out this is not at all a little report! :biggrin2: I will post my videos and pics when I upload them

That was a great report Nath! I see you are from Stoke! My husband Alan and I are from Sale! I've started a thread for North West Mika Fans on the chat about Mika section. If you haven't visited it yet, please feel free to do so. There arn't many peole on the thread yet, but I hope there will be soon.

Alan and I were sitting in the circle at the gig, and I agree with you, it was the best show I've ever seen.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still feeling worse for wear but dragged myself in here to show a few pics.

My vids won't upload right now and most of them have the beginning cut off because I forget I have my camera and am just to caught up in the gig!

Anyway:

20164_10150099234855078_647680077_11437657_3444501_n.jpg

20164_10150099234890078_647680077_11437660_502265_n.jpg

20164_10150099234950078_647680077_11437664_7725295_n.jpg

20164_10150099234990078_647680077_11437668_460874_n.jpg

Vicky, those pics are great! I especially love the last one.

Thanks to everyone else who has posted pics and video. I only had my rubbishy phone camera with me so I have hardly anything worth posting, though I will double check and see if there's anything half decent once I've put them on my laptop. But don't anyone hold their breath :teehee:

My report about The Apollo, Manchester 19th Feb 2010

Well, we started the day in Sheffield with a lovely breakfast and a plan to drive to my house in convoy. Sounds simple? But I think the idea is that the one who knows the way should start first…… and somehow that didn’t happen!

Still, we got here safely and had time to get ready before we went into Manchester where we found a queue of chilly but very excited fans already waiting. There were lots of young uns, young and not wearing anywhere near enough clothes, but they had a great time.

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z101/rvleevee/Sheffield%20O2%20Feb%2018th%202010/Manchester%20Apollo%20Feb%2019th%202010/

It was the latest I’ve joined a queue – 3p.m, so we cut down by 3 hours the stand in the cold compared with Sheffield. The sun was trying to shine too and there was just a hint of warmth in it. I parked at MacDonald’s (cheeky, but thanks) and got 24 for my number. Vicky (Mikafish) was giving out the numbers and keeping track with a fetching turquoise sharpie :)

The hot drinks had already been served; I’m thinking that we didn’t get them in Sheffield because they were running so late after their ghastly trip up the M1

Vicky (LovesMika) Kath and I waited with Bab, Danika and Sparkly and got extremely cold. Vicky and I eventually could stand it no more and went to MacD’s to eat. There were other familiar faces in there too. Half way through, though, Kath phoned to say that security was putting up the barriers, so we scooted back. It wasn’t a narrow track though, just a way to stop people joining the queue at the front. I gather the security men weren’t interested in our numbering system and we learnt that they would open all the doors at the same time. Oooo I hate the stress of that last hour!

John came out for ‘Big Girls, Lollipop Girls’ and we watched girls go in – no MFCers as far as I know.

Finally we were allowed in and got into the room. I was on the front row next to Kath, like in Dublin; Vicky was more central. BGs & LGs already given centre spot – they were costumed up on time because the team weren’t running late!

Erik Hassel was fine, actually quite good at the third time of hearing and he seemed to pick up well on the atmosphere which was stupendous. A lot of the crowd warmed to him and he was well received.

Then the wait till Mika’s show was ready, and off we went. Wowzers! It was fabulous. The stage had a book instead of just a backdrop and every part of the show went perfectly. Everyone seemed to be having an absolutely wonderful time, both on stage and off.

I’ve often felt that Mika makes eye contact when he’s on stage – many of us have, then I wonder if I’m wrong, but near the beginning he definitely looked at, and smiled at, Kath. She was sure, I was sure, so I now feel confident that if he looks at you, he really does. Actually in Sheffield when we were perched on big boxes by the sound desk, Vicky (LovesMika) and I thought he was looking our way then. Maybe he’s just perfected the skill of looking at the whole room. He certainly performed brilliantly.

It seems that some of the problems I’ve had this week with my phone/camera were because of the cold making the battery pack up, so I kept it in my bra and took a few sneaky pictures of Mika. They’re still not great, but at least it means I have some to share.

The show was pretty much note perfect and seemed even better as they settle in to it. Mika talked a bit more, introduced most of the band, and was very funny with the puppet in Toy Boy. I hadn’t seen that bit before. So sweet as he starts off rough and unkind and ends up cradling it tenderly. They were happy and worked as a team so delightfully.

The BGs & LGs walked across stage in Love Today and came on for Lollipop but they weren’t very interactive, not ‘going for it’ as they would have been advised.

It was, of course, Martin’s home ground so he was perhaps more relaxed although he always seems to enjoy himself. David played his part well, Jimmy is a riot and iMMa looked and sounded fabulous. It’s odd to think that they’re doing it all again tonight in Leeds exactly as I’m writing this up!

As ever, it was all over too soon. I got one of the many feathers that had come adrift from Mika’s Dr John cloak, a paper streamer and gold fetti (see how quickly I learn the jargon!)

The we had a quick trip to the loo and the merchandising stand (mostly to avoid going out into the cold till the last possible minute)

Andy spoke to Kath while she was waiting for us; she was the only one left in the room.

We walked back to the car and I drove it round to the car park right at the side of the stage door. We saw Martin leave, then Andy, Mrs P, Yasmine, John and various crew members. There was a queue, bigger than the poor number at Sheffield, but not too huge. Kath was happy to stand away and try to get a photo. Did you, Kath? Did you? I wanted to speak to Mika because I won’t be at any more shows. Vicky (LovesMika) again primed me with what to say, but I don’t remember speaking. Mika’s hands were full as he signed tickets and accidently signed unofficial posters so he couldn’t take the flowers I’d brought him. He just looked at them and me and a security guy took them, I asked him to make sure Mika got them but…. well, you never know. And it’s the thought that counts, right? He was fairly quick, working the line, but friendly, then he got to his car and was gone!

So we went home too, remembering just in time to take Sparkly! We were tired but happy with lovely memories to cherish. We debriefed over tea and Ryvita and I, for one, after I peeled off the fetti that was stuck all over, slept really well.

I did hostess stuff for breakfast and then took Sparkly to the train station. Kath and I indulged in, not one, not two, but three cycles in the hot tub, then Kath and Vicky drove away to continue with their road trip that for me, for the moment, has finished. I felt suddenly terribly sad. Bereft.

So I spent the day doing something which is a novelty as my guests will testify: housework!

And that’s it. Three shows, all fabulous, all different in various ways but every one wonderful. And, it has to be said, that’s largely because of the MFCers and other fans who make the queuing and the experience so much more fun. But mostly because of that Mika :wub2:

thanx for your report ruth! :wub2:

so wasn't it a big problem that the BGs and LGs were front row? was it easy for them to get out when they had to?

yeah you can be sure about the eye contact, he does indeed make lots at most gigs! :naughty: i noticed in belfast that if you're right at the center, you get the most eye contact. and i noticed in dublin that it doesn't really help him with his lyrics when he's looking at you and you're getting them wrong. :lmfao::blush-anim-cl:

ooh, a feather from the dr john coat?! i want one too! :mf_lustslow: that's my goal for this tour, get a feather from that coat. :wub2: i never got any item from mika, only got cherisse's drumstick but not his. a feather would be perfect! :fangurl:

sorry to hear that it was the last gig for you. :sad: don't wanna fly over for munich or dusseldorf or somewhere around here? :fisch::biggrin2:

thanx for your report ruth! :wub2:

so wasn't it a big problem that the BGs and LGs were front row? was it easy for them to get out when they had to?

yeah you can be sure about the eye contact, he does indeed make lots at most gigs! :naughty: i noticed in belfast that if you're right at the center, you get the most eye contact. and i noticed in dublin that it doesn't really help him with his lyrics when he's looking at you and you're getting them wrong. :lmfao::blush-anim-cl:

ooh, a feather from the dr john coat?! i want one too! :mf_lustslow: that's my goal for this tour, get a feather from that coat. :wub2: i never got any item from mika, only got cherisse's drumstick but not his. a feather would be perfect! :fangurl:

sorry to hear that it was the last gig for you. :sad: don't wanna fly over for munich or dusseldorf or somewhere around here? :fisch::biggrin2:

Well, I exagerate for effect :teehee: Actually I'm going to Nice. But that's months away!

RuthFor

Wow!!! @mikasounds Manchester Apollo rocked. Thankyou for a fab-u-lous night :-)) Ruth ~x~ less than a minute ago from web

RuthFor

@jimmyplaysbass Everything tonight was perfect at the Apollo. Tell Martin too please :-) less than 10 seconds ago from web in reply to jimmyplaysbass

RuthFor

@iMMamusic Thanks for looking after me on stage at Sheffield. I thought you looked stunning tonight at the Apollo. Great vocals too :-) 4 minutes ago from web in reply to iMMamusic

How odd. That's me!

I LOVE the pictures ! ! ! And his hair looks longer!!!!

No, his hair's shorter. He cut it between Dublin and Manchester.

No, his hair's shorter. He cut it between Dublin and Manchester.

Yes it looks like he cut it for the Brit Awards. I'm glad he waited. I was sure he'd cut it before the tour. He looked fab in Ireland. :mf_lustslow:

Great report Ruth...I have to go back and read about Sheffield. It was nice seeing you in Dublin!

I have a few more pics but my comp is not behaving at the moment.

As for the BGs well, I had a rather unpleasent encounter with one that was trying to put her LEG up on the barrier to save spaces! I was not having that after Qing all day! I had no problem with them being there but the girl i encountered semed to think that being a BG made her something extra special. Really annoyed me!

Still I got front and centre and the grins and eye contact were worth being crushed and bruised! The main problem being that when the BGs and LGs moved to go back stage about 10 people tried to fit into each of the spaces they left!

I was too tired to wait fot the M&G afterwards as I need to drive home but had a great night despite a few hassles!

I have a few more pics but my comp is not behaving at the moment.

As for the BGs well, I had a rather unpleasent encounter with one that was trying to put her LEG up on the barrier to save spaces! I was not having that after Qing all day! I had no problem with them being there but the girl i encountered semed to think that being a BG made her something extra special. Really annoyed me!

Still I got front and centre and the grins and eye contact were worth being crushed and bruised! The main problem being that when the BGs and LGs moved to go back stage about 10 people tried to fit into each of the spaces they left!

I was too tired to wait fot the M&G afterwards as I need to drive home but had a great night despite a few hassles!

That really annoyed me too. It was very unfair for those of us that had queued for ages.

Yes it looks like he cut it for the Brit Awards. I'm glad he waited. I was sure he'd cut it before the tour. He looked fab in Ireland. :mf_lustslow:

Great report Ruth...I have to go back and read about Sheffield. It was nice seeing you in Dublin!

I liked his hair in Dublin when it was dry, but not demonic and rats' tail-y when dripping with sweat!

Glad he had it cut (or did it himself?)

Nice to see you in Dublin too. Pity it was so bloomin' cold, but I bet you've queued in colder?

I forgot to say... (:naughty:)that while I was leaving the venue I only saw happy faces! All the people thought the gig had been great and the kids had huge smiles on their face! :biggrin2: More or less like me... :teehee:

Good point. He makes everyone happy!

Nice to see you in Dublin too. Pity it was so bloomin' cold, but I bet you've queued in colder?

Not really. We had a freakishly warm January day (about 6 degrees) in Toronto in 2008. We had a cold spell this past October but still not winter temperatures. It's really all about being prepared. All the heat packs I had in my clothes in Dublin worked a treat. :biggrin2:

oh i always have those when i go watch my son's football games... some in my boots, in my mittens, pockets :naughty: it helps!

I'm definitely gonna have to get some of those, even though it's hardly ever cold enough here to need to use some :naughty:

Hmmm, I don't blame him. He gives away enough of himself as it is. Someone needs to police this better because the fans probably don't realize.

Yes this was a pity and Ruth and i saw it coming. I warned some of them he may not like it however he signed one before realising what it was and then said to a security person i think and to the fans .. " i'm not supposed to sign this" ....... so i guess people have the right to buy it but don't advise you ask him to sign it ... don't want to upset him really......and put him in a tricky spot as he does look to sign things so willingly.

Hello I went to mika's show last night with support worker doreen I wore rabbit ears had great time really enjoyed myself so did doreen and she never been to his shows she had heard his songs when I have them now she likes some of his music I think mika brillant he kind and polite has the lovest eyes ever he remembered met me before when I said met him before said he know I was all hyper while waiting for mika to come out I went abit shy when came to me didnt know what say apart from met him before got my poster signed and gave him my drawing of my supported living flat and the other tenants flats and pics of my 2 tabby kittens alfie and tilly and giraffe wooden model I painted and turtle money box ornment hope he liked my drawing n pics of my kittens who else went the manchester show last night

Great report!!! Thanks:biggrin2:

All the heat packs I had in my clothes in Dublin worked a treat. :biggrin2:

Yes. Well. I only found out about heat packs after Dublin. I thought they were single use, but Vicky (MF) had replacement sticks.

Next time .........

Hopefully not in Nice....

I've finally gotten round to putting my video footage up on You Tube.

It's in two parts so here is the link to the first one and the second one is uploading now so I'll post the link when it's finished.

Sorry for the delay but I've felt terrible since Leeds and struggled through Birmingham so the videos have had to wait!! :naughty:

Seems like everyone's ill just now. :blink: