REPORTS/PICS/VIDS: Mika at Leeds Academy 2010-FEB-21

Blue Sky

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mika is AMAZING ! It was my first Mika concert so me and my friend went earlyish (Thanks to Stacey because she wasnt really a Mika fan, i dragged her along with me) We were number 7 and 8.

When it was time to go in we didnt have a o2 sim card so i was kinda sad because i qued for so long but luckily i got in through another door and got to first row !! :biggrin2:

Then when Mika came on it was just amazing. The security guys who were stood near us were giving Mika some wierd looks though =/

Everything about it was brilliant. The way he involved the audience. Made me laugh and want to cry with happiness :aah:

He looked at me a few times aswell:wub2: Once when he looked at me we were staring at each other about 7 seconds but it seemed longer and i was just like this ---> :swoon::teehee:

Hopefully i will go see him again when he tours. I can't get over how fantastic he is live.

And all the people in the que were really nice too :)

Edited by *Charlotte*

Mika is AMAZING ! It was my first Mika concert so me and my friend went earlyish (Thanks to Stacey because she wasnt really a Mika fan, i dragged her along with me) We were number 7 and 8.

When it was time to go in we didnt have a o2 sim card so i was kinda sad because i qued for so long but luckily i got in through another door and got to first row !! :biggrin2:

Then when Mika came on it was just amazing. The security guys who were stood near us were giving Mika some wierd looks though =/

Everything about it was brilliant. The way he involved the audience. Made me laugh and want to cry with happiness :aah:

He looked at me a few times aswell:wub2: Once when he looked at me we were staring at each other about 7 seconds but it seemed longer and i was just like this ---> :swoon::teehee:

Hopefully i will go see him again when he tours. I can't get over how fantastic he is live.

Oooh, I'm SO glad that you made it!! I was worried when they started with the O2 thing, as you had been there waiting all day, and it was just not fair that you ended up stuck behind the "priority" queue. Good to hear that you had a great spot and gig!

:wub2: And this is one of the posts that make me feel all fluffy inside again. :wub2:

Ok, I am half brain dead due to lack of sleep and a terrible cold that I've had since Ireland so I can't think very straight :naughty:, but will try and do a recap of yesterday......

Bab, Danika and I set off from London around 10, on our day roundtrip to Leeds for the gig (yes, madness, I know :roftl:) and found all sorts of terrible weather on the way. It was snowing quite a bit, so we REALLY hoped that we wouldn't have the same luck as on the Sheffield gig day (as Deb said, lightning doesn't strike twice), and that this time we'd make it in good time.

We got to Leeds around 2 I think? and found that there were very few people in the queue so we got nrs 9,10 and 11 I think, or something along those lines......In any case, it was very low. We camped out and did the usual faffing about and freezing, but it was actually not too bad, and the day went past quite fast IMO.

Before we knew it we were about to go into the venue for the chaotic "3 queue system". Earlier in the day, a lady who worked at the venue had told people in the queue that they would let the O2 priority ticket holders in before anyone else. Apparently they could buy tix 48 hours before the gig, and they would go in first. This just sounded so wrong to us, that I had a quick word with John, who then called up the guy working there, and we had a discussion about how this would be quite unfair to everyone who had been waiting there all day, etc. I said that this seemed pretty wrong, considering that most people queuing here had bought the official fanclub/Mikasounds endorsed pre-sale tickets, and would now actually go in last!

The guy said that he'd try and work something out, and John said to leave it with him.

Later on, the security guy came to tell us that we could make a queue for people with O2 sim cards (so they had changed it now so that it was anyone with an O2 phone, not only the special O2 priority tickets) ,and that in order to make it fair, he would actually let us all in at the same time as the "general" queue where the other fans who had been queuing up were standing.

All in all, I think that it more or less worked out. Phew.

The one thing that I will say is that when we went into the venue, we found that only 2/3rds of the front row were available for us, as all the BG/LG posse were standing right there, bang center.

Considering that only one of these people had been queuing there from earlier than us, this seemed highly unfair. At the very least, if they are going to be let in, they should stand to the side and let the people who queued early to take the spots that they have worked for. Many of these BG's turned up arpound 5 pm, so why should they get a better spot than someone who had been there all day? Wrong. Plus all the chaos that they caused when they left their positions after Dr John was, again, a hazard.

It was like in Manchester. You get 6 people to leave the front row center, and immediately you have this massive crowd surge desperately moving forward and squashing everyone else around them. It's very unsafe, and something that I really think Team Mika need to look into. Not to mention of course, the issue of making a mockery of the "first queued, first served" system. Seriously, it was very wrong, I found.

Anyway, the gig. What can I say. Mika said that he was in a weird mood. I say he was on freaking FIRE!!!! It was incredible. Soooo good. We were saying how we never get tired of seeing him and hearing the same songs, but it's just that he's so blooming good, and his voice so perfect, that you can't get tired of it!

He also keeps putting in all these new little elements, like last night, during Relax, he suddenly started singing a few lines from the "I just died in your arms tonight" song. That was pretty unexpected :lmfao: but I loved it.

Also, he was being very "passionate" singing a few songs, like Happy Ending, Any Other World, and Toy Boy, and did his usual incredibly :wub2: eyecontact as we know.

Toy Boy was funny because I said that the puppet was ugly (which I have said from the first day that I saw that thing :aah:) and he heard it, so he asked "who said uggly puppet?" and then he proceeded to comfort the puppet telling him: "don't listen to her, she's a nasty bitch" :roftl:. That was SO hilarious!!!

Then he accused me of killing the puppet and asked if I was "f*cking happy" about killing him. I think that at this point he said that he had hardly slept and that he was in a funny mood, and some guy asked if he'd marry him, and Mika said something like yes or maybe. You can hear it all in my Toy Boy video, it's quite funny.

Hmmm...what else? Ah yes during Lollipop, when they do the initial drumming, Bab Dan and I were going ooooh or aaaah or making some noise every time that he hit the thingies, and he laughed and gave us the finger :lmfao: rude Mika, hahahha. It was just a real laugh.

Afterwards he came out for a bit, as he does, and that was when I said to him that I loved him despite his nasty comments, and he said that it was "reciprocal" :roftl:. He was really funny last night, I found. He looked really nice too, in that cozy hoody/fleexy/jackety thing he is wearing.

Anyway, I think that this is my report :naughty:.

Here are some of my vids (still need to upload another batch):

Mika - Rain @ O2 Academy in Leeds 210210

Mika - Big Girl @ O2 Academy in Leeds 210210

Mika - Stuck In The Middle intro @ O2 Academy in Leeds 210210

Mika - Blame It On The Girls @ O2 Academy in Leeds 210210

Mika - Touches You @ O2 Academy in Leeds 210210

Mika - I See You @ O2 Academy in Leeds 210210

Mika - Toy Boy @ O2 Academy in Leeds 210210

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny3ygpjkFFM

And the rest are coming soon

Ok, I am half brain dead due to lack of sleep and a terrible cold that I've had since Ireland so I can't think very straight :naughty:, but will try and do a recap of yesterday......

Bab, Danika and I set off from London around 10, on our day roundtrip to Leeds for the gig (yes, madness, I know :roftl:) and found all sorts of terrible weather on the way. It was snowing quite a bit, so we REALLY hoped that we wouldn't have the same luck as on the Sheffield gig day (as Deb said, lightning doesn't strike twice), and that this time we'd make it in good time.

We got to Leeds around 2 I think? and found that there were very few people in the queue so we got nrs 9,10 and 11 I think, or something along those lines......In any case, it was very low. We camped out and did the usual faffing about and freezing, but it was actually not too bad, and the day went past quite fast IMO.

Before we knew it we were about to go into the venue for the chaotic "3 queue system". Earlier in the day, a lady who worked at the venue had told people in the queue that they would let the O2 priority ticket holders in before anyone else. Apparently they could buy tix 48 hours before the gig, and they would go in first. This just sounded so wrong to us, that I had a quick word with John, who then called up the guy working there, and we had a discussion about how this would be quite unfair to everyone who had been waiting there all day, etc. I said that this seemed pretty wrong, considering that most people queuing here had bought the official fanclub/Mikasounds endorsed pre-sale tickets, and would now actually go in last!

The guy said that he'd try and work something out, and John said to leave it with him.

Later on, the security guy came to tell us that we could make a queue for people with O2 sim cards (so they had changed it now so that it was anyone with an O2 phone, not only the special O2 priority tickets) ,and that in order to make it fair, he would actually let us all in at the same time as the "general" queue where the other fans who had been queuing up were standing.

The one thing that I will say is that when we went into the venue, we found that only 2/3rds of the front row were available for us, as all the BG/LG posse were standing right there, bang center.

Considering that only one of these people had been queuing there from earlier than us, this seemed highly unfair. At the very least, if they are going to be let in, they should stand to the side and let the people who queued early to take the spots that they have worked for. Many of these BG's turned up arpound 5 pm, so why should they get a better spot than someone who had been there all day? Wrong. Plus all the chaos that they caused when they left their positions after Dr John was, again, a hazard.

It was like in Manchester. You get 6 people to leave the front row center, and immediately you have this massive crowd surge desperately moving forward and squashing everyone else around them. It's very unsafe, and something that I really think Team Mika need to look into. Not to mention of course, the issue of making a mockery of the "first queued, first served" system. Seriously, it was very wrong, I found.

Anyway, the gig. What can I say. Mika said that he was in a weird mood. I say he was on freaking FIRE!!!! It was incredible. Soooo good. We were saying how we never get tired of seeing him and hearing the same songs, but it's just that he's so blooming good, and his voice so perfect, that you can't get tired of it!

He also keeps putting in all these new little elements, like last night, during Relax, he suddenly started singing a few lines from the "I just died in your arms tonight" song. That was pretty unexpected :lmfao: but I loved it.

Also, he was being very "passionate" singing a few songs, like Happy Ending, Any Other World, and Toy Boy, and did his usual incredibly :wub2: eyecontact as we know.

Toy Boy was funny because I said that the puppet was ugly (which I have said from the first day that I saw that thing :aah:) and he heard it, so he asked "who said uggly puppet?" and then he proceeded to comfort the puppet telling him: "don't listen to her, she's a nasty bitch" :roftl:. That was SO hilarious!!!

Then he accused me of killing the puppet and asked if I was "f*cking happy" about killing him. I think that at this point he said that he had hardly slept and that he was in a funny mood, and some guy asked if he'd marry him, and Mika said something like yes or maybe. You can hear it all in my Toy Boy video, it's quite funny.

Hmmm...what else? Ah yes during Lollipop, when they do the initial drumming, Bab Dan and I were going ooooh or aaaah or making some noise every time that he hit the thingies, and he laughed and gave us the finger :lmfao: rude Mika, hahahha. It was just a real laugh.

Afterwards he came out for a bit, as he does, and that was when I said to him that I loved him despite his nasty comments, and he said that it was "reciprocal" :roftl:. He was really funny last night, I found. He looked really nice too, in that cozy hoody/fleexy/jackety thing he is wearing.

Anyway, I think that this is my report :naughty:.[/quote

Reading your report is so much fun, thank you very much. :thumb_yello:

Here's the link to my photos from last night and Manchester on Friday.

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/vixenbbw/Mika%202010/

Report to follow after dinner!! LOL!

It says I need a password to log in. :blink:

Great report Sara, and thanks for the vids. :wub2:

*edit* I love hearing you laugh on the vids, sounds like you're having so much fun!

Edited by kaatje066

I'm so not suprized that you begrudged us our moment. Our early admission into the venue was our reward for the effort in undertaking the job they asked us to do. Anyone can have a go but it's also a one off chance. I was sad to have to leave at the start of Dr John which is my fave song but I was there to do a job and so off I went and reported for duty whilst you enjoyed the rest of the show.

We've been here before but when we arrived at the venue we stopped to have a chat with Freddie before going in to rehearse but no-one offered to put a number on our hands........just like no-one did at Brixton in 2008....the first I knew of the numbering system was when I saw a few of the other Big Girls with numbers and thought..."here we go again!!".

At Manchester we arrived and joined the queue and got third row places which is okay as we got there as early as we could but others were there before us and that was fine. At Birmingham on Thursday we will be able to arrive a bit earlier than for Manchester and Leeds and we hope that we'll get a spot closer to the front but again, we'll join the queue like we always do....and get the spot in the venue that we get......and not moan about it.

You don't actually have a monopoly over the front centre spot at every gig, nor have you been employed as the gig queue police but I have no doubt that you'll continue to find something to be unhappy about at every show.

I had an amazing experience last night but reading your report has left me deflated and I can't even be bothered relaying my story on here now. :boxed:

this is the best report ive ever read!! :lmfao:

Well, I'm sorry, I agree with Sariflor.

It happened to me two nights in a row, we queued from really early only to find people that turned up hours later taking up a lot of the front row.

Then into the bargain, halfway through there was almighty pushing and shoving at which I nearly fell on Sunday.

I would have thought your "reward" would have been to be on stage with Mika and do the rehearsals. I've also seen some BG and LG with some nice pictures with Mika. It was clearly stated at the beginning of the offer that you wouldn't see much of the show wasn't it?

It's a ****ing tough life.

I'm so not suprized that you begrudged us our moment. Our early admission into the venue was our reward for the effort in undertaking the job they asked us to do. Anyone can have a go but it's also a one off chance. I was sad to have to leave at the start of Dr John which is my fave song but I was there to do a job and so off I went and reported for duty whilst you enjoyed the rest of the show.

We've been here before but when we arrived at the venue we stopped to have a chat with Freddie before going in to rehearse but no-one offered to put a number on our hands........just like no-one did at Brixton in 2008....the first I knew of the numbering system was when I saw a few of the other Big Girls with numbers and thought..."here we go again!!".

At Manchester we arrived and joined the queue and got third row places which is okay as we got there as early as we could but others were there before us and that was fine. At Birmingham on Thursday we will be able to arrive a bit earlier than for Manchester and Leeds and we hope that we'll get a spot closer to the front but again, we'll join the queue like we always do....and get the spot in the venue that we get......and not moan about it.

You don't actually have a monopoly over the front centre spot at every gig, nor have you been employed as the gig queue police but I have no doubt that you'll continue to find something to be unhappy about at every show.

I had an amazing experience last night but reading your report has left me deflated and I can't even be bothered relaying my story on here now. :boxed:

Vix, let's call things by their name and cut the chase. I can't believe that you're bringing up Brixton 08, when you know well that you were trying to cheekily queuejump and refused to comply when people told you to be fair and go to the spot where you belonged according to what time you got there at.

Aurelien was organising the queue, because when one gets people like you who try and get ahead of others who have been there all day, like you were doing, there is a need for a "queue police" as you call it, and you flatly refused to go back and got all defiant. Then you had the front to come on mfc and accuse us of bullying you. You! You, the one who was in the wrong. I humoured you then, but I won't anymore if you bring it up again, because we both know exactly what happened then.

About last night and Manchester, everyone else who was there before you, and who had to stand to the side whilst you guys took the front spot (and for your knowledge, I wasn't even defending MY corner there, because if I go by the number that I had, I wouldn't have been in the center, so I was merely saying what is fair and what is not) expressed an issue with it, so make no mistakes that this is not just "me" saying it. The same happened in Manchester.

On top of everything else, it's UNSAFE. And, on top of everything else, if I really really really have to spell it out for you, when you took the "job" you agreed to miss part of the show or even most of it, as is stated in the rules, so obviously you knew well what you were getting yourself into. This little innocent "bullied" victim part thaty you seem to play that is starting to wear a bit thin when people have been long around to see the behaviour that you have, and it's just not cutting it.

It happened to me two nights in a row, we queued from really early only to find people that turned up hours later taking up a lot of the front row.

Then into the bargain, halfway through there was almighty pushing and shoving at which I nearly fell on Sunday.

I would have thought your "reward" would have been to be on stage with Mika and do the rehearsals. I've also seen some BG and LG with some nice pictures with Mika. It was clearly stated at the beginning of the offer that you wouldn't see much of the show wasn't it?

EXACTLY

Sara, your vids are great quality! I've read you've got a new camera, which one did you get?

Well, thanks Kaatje :naughty:, I still need to play around with it to get the most out of it, but it does look like a great little thing. It's the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 .

Apparently it has a new type of HD video format that takes up less space on the memory card, and has a really great zoom too, and wide angle lens for the pics. It's a nice little thing. Oh, and dolby stereo sound. I still need to read the manual though and play around with it to make the most of it I think :blink:

Well, thanks Kaatje :naughty:, I still need to play around with it to get the most out of it, but it does look like a great little thing. It's the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 .

Apparently it has a new type of HD video format that takes up less space on the memory card, and has a really great zoom too, and wide angle lens for the pics. It's a nice little thing. Oh, and dolby stereo sound. I still need to read the manual though and play around with it to make the most of it I think :blink:

Thanks! That's the camera I was considering to buy. :boing:

I knew it!! It seems like such a good camera! I doubted A LOT and a long time between that one and the fuji f70exr... But in the end I went with the fuji f80exr, an upgrade of the f70exr :teehee: (shame I have to wait until April...) But for people that want to take great videos, the tz7 is the one for sure!:thumb_yello:

thanx everyone for your reports+pix+vids! :flowers2:

I mean the truth is I don't even want to see Mika play the piano. I just want to see him singing and interacting with the audience as much as possible.

But obviously it's a very different experience for fans who are not diehards, particularly if they are not in the first few rows. So he should probably keep on doing what he's doing and take what we say with a little pinch of salt. I think the primary focus should always be his music and it doesn't hurt to remind him of that (I thought PDP was very unbalanced and the music suffered too much for the sake of a visual spectacle), but I think he's on the right track and there will be plenty of people impressed with the show and the theatricality of it. It always made for good reviews in the US because it was often a very pleasant surprise for the reviewer who wasn't expecting that kind of thing from a show that size.

well i'm a diehard and i still love the show bits very much. :naughty: guess the main thing you guys mean is, like sara said, that the show shouldn't have a bad impact on the singing or mika's stage presence, and of course i agree with that. i still love it though when he's playing piano (i like the way he does it now, with the half of the song playing, the other half walking around), and i really really enjoyed the huge stage set in belfast, i was seriously standing there like :shocked: at several times during the show, looking at that amazing book and the things they did with it. :wub2:

LOOOOL!! :lmao: watched your vid, so funny!! :lmfao: :lmfao:

fully agree. also i think, everyone who is on mfc more or less regularly should know about the numbers system meanwhile, and when they arrive at the venue, ask the people at the front of the queue for a number, if it isn't offered to them. that way you can also return to your place in the queue if you apply for LG/BG but don't get the job for some reason. having said that, a number should be offered to everyone though, as not all are on mfc and know about it. but up until about number 50 it has always worked so far, so it shouldn't be a problem. :wink2:

and i'd refuse to stand in front row centre if i got to be a LG at one of the gigs - i'm not forced to apply for that job, and i know about the positive AND negative sides of it and have to decide. either front row OR being part of the show - why should anyone get both?

OMG that Toy Boy exchange was f*cking hilarious. :lmfao:

I can't hack all the queuing, I can't afford all the travelling and I am sick of all the drama but damn I wish I could see every single show. This tour is better than the last which was better than the last which was better than the last, etc. I just want to drink it all up while Mika is still on the road and still in his prime (and I'm not quite an ancient hag yet). :fangurl:

[/fangurl]

i really really enjoyed the huge stage set in belfast, i was seriously standing there like :shocked: at several times during the show, looking at that amazing book and the things they did with it. :wub2:

It's not that it doesn't interest me...some of the stuff looked really cool and I'd like to watch it. Just in another context. i.e. Not when Mika is shaking his little ass 5 feet away and making eyes at me and everyone else. :teehee:

and i'd refuse to stand in front row centre if i got to be a LG at one of the gigs - i'm not forced to apply for that job, and i know about the positive AND negative sides of it and have to decide. either front row OR being part of the show - why should anyone get both?

I don't even understand why this is happening when it states in the rules that LG/BGs will be sent back into the queue. That's probably a little harsh and a bit risky with the costumes in these weather conditions, but if they can't fit them in front of the barriers then they should at least be on the side IMO. I don't see the sense in having performers who need to be removed from the audience smack in the middle of the crowd. It just causes chaos and it's unnecessary.

If standing front and centre is that important to you, queue up early and don't volunteer to be in the show. That's why I wasn't a lollipop girl in Ireland. Simple. :dunno: