Mika's new "kick-ass" single

LilStar

Visually I think WAG is overstimulating... partly cause of the boxers!

I think they both have their good points and bad points. Personally, I'm not a hug fan of the tweaking that was done with his voice in KA, but TBH I'm getting a bit tired of WAG right now. I much prefer the music in KA.

I doubt he'd just sing on a song... he had to at least have co-wrote it.

I don't think it sounds like everything else out there. Sure, it sounds a wee bit Gaga-esque (but I put that down to him working with RedOne), but I think it still sounds like Mika. I bet that if he'd used the same lyrics but had a different producer (for arguments sake lets say Greg Wells) it would be more in line with what the rest of TBWKTM sounds like... This is more electronic, rather than using real instuments...

I personally think it sounds great. It's a hell of a lot different to what he's done previously, yet it still holds the Mika sound (if that makes any sense).

I think that if it sounds more like "everything else out there" then that can be a good thing. It should bring in a lot of newer fans that might not have given any thought to listening to him. And I think it's good for him to be working with other producers, you don't want him to be relying too much on one producer for the rest of his career.

taking the bolded parts in order:

That's one thing that puts me off - Mika's glorious voice in an electronic straight-jacket :aah: Occasionally useful, but I prefer a more human sound.

I hoped he had at least co-wrote it - but wondered if he had been pressed into it due to not charting with other stuff - I know he's not easily pressed but the comic book connection might have been the carrot to complement the stick :teehee: Anyway, I'm glad he seems to have written it :thumb_yello:

I think the "whole lot of new fans" may like this song, but still reject the other stuff. But if he converts 10% of them into new fans, that is still good :thumb_yello:

Agreed - he needs a variety to keep things fresh :thumb_yello: But I am not a fan of "celebrity" producers who impose "their sound" onto an artist. I hope Mika doesn't go too far down that route.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree only with the second sentence and only concerning up tempo Euro beat songs. However, Mika has more to offer than that. I wouldn't mind him experiencing with different producers on different songs but we should not forget about Greg's merits. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses - it is the right balance that needs to be found.

After all, Mika's best songs have all been co-produced by Greg. Let's not forget about that. I like Greg :wub2:

I totally agree with you !I'm not into tempo Euro beat songs though cause everyone here listens to this kinda stuff here and I always liked to be different :naughty:

Speaking of Greg I heard he's producing some new Adele songs :teehee:

okay, thanks :thumb_yello: I was wondering that too.

I can't tell how much more I love this vid than I love WAG vid... That look is just adorable :blush-anim-cl: And it seems for me too that the message is a bit same as in WAG but told in more mainstream way (sorry can't say that in proper English). But I haven't read lyrics so carefully, going to do it now.

I think this suits for a soundtrack perfectly, but I prefer him keeping his songs a bit more of his own style generally speaking...

Yes I agree that when I heard the lyrics I immediately thought of WAG, but not in the sense that they sound the same, just that they are basically saying the same thing. "We are young, we are strong, we are not what you think we are."

It could be that he was commisioned to write KA by someone who loves WAG. But this song will reach a lot of people because the thing with the American public is, they haven't really got to know Mika, because he's never on the radio. So this movie theme will reach the potential Mika fans who would have loved him if only they could have had chance to hear him. Some people may only love the one song, but others will love the other's he's done, after all, there is a Mika song for everyone, from pop songs to ballads, he's written some amazing songs. This is just the platform he needs to get people to know the Mika whom WE all know and love.

I do believe he'll still write his pop songs and ballads, but I do think he realises that he also needs to attract the mainstream, and anyway, I think KA is a true Mika song with it's wonderful singalong chorus! I can't wait until he performs it live and gets the fans singing it with him!! It will be awesome!

I think having RedOne producing a few songs would be awesome... I told him that he should collaborate with Mika more often too! :naughty:

Mika has said that WAG is about giving himself a sense of self worth. It's a real affirming song (if that makes sense). I think it really hits the mark with what being a teenager is like, and figuring out that it is okay to be a little different from the crowd. The working out who you are as a teenager is the biggest theme of WAG IMO.

Obviously this is my opinion, but I think the biggest difference with KA is that he is saying that he is fine the way he is, that he doesn't have to change to be anyone else and that others don't understand him and that is fine. I bit of an up yours to people who don't understand him if you will. In KA, he seems more sure of himself, and of who he is as a man. I certainly don't see it as a "teenage" song, as (to me) there aren't any real doubting moments like there are in WAG.

If I had to say there was a similarity, I would say that both talk about being unapologetic about who you are.

I will accept that there are some surface similarities between the two songs, but you could say the same about KA and GK.

If someone can convince me that they are very similar, then good on them... oh, and SoSi? Well done! You did give me some things to think about.

Well I think that the bold bit is pretty much the overarching theme of both songs!

I think they're both much more confident than Grace Kelly, which seems to say "you don't think I meet your standards? fine, I'll be the opposite of your standards" although the singer of GK sounds older to me. I think WAG and KA are both intended to be teenage songs (the stars of KA are teen and pre-teen) although WAG seems (to me) more like a memory of teenage years than a song a teenager would sing and you don't think KA sounds particularly teenage.

But what I was trying to demonstrate in the list is that lyrically KA uses generic terms like "not cool" while WAG uses original and memorable images like "running... purpose" etc while some of the WAG vid images are downright weird. I'd say WAG was marmite, and KA looks like bread and butter next to it. Anyone who doesn't feel cool (ie, most people) can identify with "not cool" but they're unlikely to exclaim "that's EXACTLY how I feel"- which I did, at "running... purpose" and "like a magpie". Incidentally, I think one of the reason's for GK's success was that as well as the unusual bits (I'd be surprised if many chaps - or chapesses, for that matter- try to be like GK) there was the "why don't you like me- without making me try" which lots of people realised they wanted to say to the people around them.

As for the glasses, I was citing them as another example of KA's unoriginality- before he looks up to the roof, he's wearing jeans, a cricket pullover and no hair gel- he's also timid and frowning. Afterwards he's dancing uninhibitedly, wearing smart trousers, has styled hair, no woolly jumper to keep mommy's boy warm- and surprise, surprise he's taken his glasses off.

I like the idea of the teenager in WAG vid celebrratinh his uniqueness in private as he struggles to do around people, and hadn't thought of it like that before.

Nono said she saw Mika and Jodi Marr listed in the credits when she saw the movie.

That surprises me- cos I tend to find her collaborations are lyrically stronger (GK, Toy Boy)

Edited by Soaring Simpson

I can't belive how catchy this song is...I woke up this morning, and unconsciously, the song started to be played in my mind....:lol3: ...or maybe it's because I listened to it so many times, that it's hard now to forget it!!! :wub2:

I can't belive how catchy this song is...I woke up this morning, and unconsciously, the song started to be played in my mind....:lol3: ...or maybe it's because I listened to it so many times, that it's hard now to forget it!!! :wub2:

you stole my words! Absolutely the same about me! And I can't count now how many times I rewatched it (saying to me: well, this is the last time) :wink2:

:mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted:its like printed in my brain i think

you stole my words! Absolutely the same about me! And I can't count now how many times I rewatched it (saying to me: well, this is the last time) :wink2:

:mf_rosetinted::mf_rosetinted:its like printed in my brain i think

exactly!!!!! I don't think about it, but the song is played in my mind!! :lol3::loco:

it's gonna be hard to resist to listen to it just once, and then not to start play it in my head!!!:aah:

Nono said she saw Mika and Jodi Marr listed in the credits when she saw the movie.

That surprises me- cos I tend to find her collaborations are lyrically stronger (GK, Toy Boy)

Funnily enough it fully makes sense to me. I think Jodi believes in building songs lyrically around statements, so it fits the pattern. In fact, We Are Golden fits this pattern, too. Whenever I listen to WAG I always think Mika must have written it with that in mind. I wish he had come out with a version of WAG that has the beautiful intro and is a little bit less over-the-top.

Toy Boy is different, of course, but so is its style.

6. Where did you get this idea : "uncool guy huddles in a corner artisticly bruised"? Is that from the film clip of from the song? I certainly didn't get that impression.

I don't necessarily agree with Mika being referred to as "uncool" because he's wearing glasses. Also, if you follow the story of the film clip, we can assume he was mugged... and lets face it, in most large cities there is a possibility of getting mugged.

This isn't about reality, it's about stereotypes. Tall, lanky guy in grandpa's jumper with massive glasses is meant to give the impression of "uncool-ness". Stereotypes are used so that people can get the message instantly without having to give too much thought about what they're seeing. You wouldn't find a muscular, Greek God lookalike with a perfect, white hollywood smile and an immaculate sense of style on the floor all bruised up after a mugging. You'd see a geek or a nerd. That's exactly the image that is being portrayed.

Agree with it or not...that is your choice, but that's Media for you. Media use steeotypes all the time :dunno: A number of people don't find glasses geeky...I don't...and I'm quite digging this geeky Mika...but that's just the image in this video.

LMFAO....I was looking through the 2009 yearbook...got to the "favourite song" section and started reading my own message...

I wrote: "I love WAG...it’s uplifting and inspirational.

Makes you believe in yourself and want to kick ass."

LOLLLLLZ.

IT WAS A PREMONITION, GUYZ.

I don't think the glasses are an attempt to cast Mika in some generic uncool stereotype. You could see right from the first screencap it was going to be a specific Clark Kent scenario, which is just mirroring what happens in the movie.

The main character goes from this:

clarkdukekickass.jpg

to this:

Kick-Ass-Aaron-Johnson-Mark-Millar-John-Romita-Jr.-01_mid.jpg

Remind you of anyone??

Yes and some of them are Ring Ring and Erase. :teehee:

I don't think the glasses are an attempt to cast Mika in some generic uncool stereotype. You could see right from the first screencap it was going to be a specific Clark Kent scenario, which is just mirroring what happens in the movie.

The main character goes from this:

clarkdukekickass.jpg

to this:

Kick-Ass-Aaron-Johnson-Mark-Millar-John-Romita-Jr.-01_mid.jpg

Remind you of anyone??

OHHHHH I didn't really take much notice of the characters, that fits well. Good observation!

From Wikipedia:

"On March 15, 2010, UK newspaper The Sun posted an exclusive preview of the video for the single which shows Mika as a helpless individual left in an alleyway after being mugged. He begins to sing and as he does, the words of empowerment in the lyrics and his finding of an issue of the "Kick-Ass" comic inspire him to run for the rooftops and wail the chorus to the sky. As is the norm with most soundtrack singles, the video features intercut scenes from the film in question."

:aah:

smiley.gif

I love that smiley

smiley.gif

I love it too :wub2:

smiley.gif

It is nice to see some MFCers are still enjoying Kick-Ass & not criticizing every phrase, line & look - when the movie isn't out yet - which the song represents.

I am sorry but twenty four hours ago most of us were getting great enjoyment out of a new Mika song.

Now more than a few are putting their individual spin on every part of the disection wothout having the whole picture.

No wonder Mika refers to us as the Mad F**kers Club!

I am glad Mika reads the topics & not the threads.:thumb_yello:

Mika's Kick-Ass rocks!!

Bravo & Congrats Mika & RedOne!