Mika's new "kick-ass" single

LilStar

I don't get this!:blink:

It's the title track of the album, it's the first track released from it, why would they not mention him!:shocked:

because they prefer to talk about Taylor Momsen from Gossip Girl *grumbles about Momsen for a while* :sneaky2:

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree that when I heard the lyrics I immediately thought of WAG, but not in the sense that they sound the same, just that they are basically saying the same thing. "We are young, we are strong, we are not what you think we are."

It could be that he was commisioned to write KA by someone who loves WAG. But this song will reach a lot of people because the thing with the American public is, they haven't really got to know Mika, because he's never on the radio. So this movie theme will reach the potential Mika fans who would have loved him if only they could have had chance to hear him. Some people may only love the one song, but others will love the other's he's done, after all, there is a Mika song for everyone, from pop songs to ballads, he's written some amazing songs. This is just the platform he needs to get people to know the Mika whom WE all know and love.

I do believe he'll still write his pop songs and ballads, but I do think he realises that he also needs to attract the mainstream, and anyway, I think KA is a true Mika song with it's wonderful singalong chorus! I can't wait until he performs it live and gets the fans singing it with him!! It will be awesome!

Well I think that the bold bit is pretty much the overarching theme of both songs!

I think they're both much more confident than Grace Kelly, which seems to say "you don't think I meet your standards? fine, I'll be the opposite of your standards" although the singer of GK sounds older to me. I think WAG and KA are both intended to be teenage songs (the stars of KA are teen and pre-teen) although WAG seems (to me) more like a memory of teenage years than a song a teenager would sing and you don't think KA sounds particularly teenage.

But what I was trying to demonstrate in the list is that lyrically KA uses generic terms like "not cool" while WAG uses original and memorable images like "running... purpose" etc while some of the WAG vid images are downright weird. I'd say WAG was marmite, and KA looks like bread and butter next to it. Anyone who doesn't feel cool (ie, most people) can identify with "not cool" but they're unlikely to exclaim "that's EXACTLY how I feel"- which I did, at "running... purpose" and "like a magpie". Incidentally, I think one of the reason's for GK's success was that as well as the unusual bits (I'd be surprised if many chaps - or chapesses, for that matter- try to be like GK) there was the "why don't you like me- without making me try" which lots of people realised they wanted to say to the people around them.

As for the glasses, I was citing them as another example of KA's unoriginality- before he looks up to the roof, he's wearing jeans, a cricket pullover and no hair gel- he's also timid and frowning. Afterwards he's dancing uninhibitedly, wearing smart trousers, has styled hair, no woolly jumper to keep mommy's boy warm- and surprise, surprise he's taken his glasses off.

I like the idea of the teenager in WAG vid celebrratinh his uniqueness in private as he struggles to do around people, and hadn't thought of it like that before.

SoSi and MM, you both make good points...

I still strongly object to the whole concept that to be seen as strong you can't wear glasses. It sucks, but as long as the media hold that view, a lot of people will. :dunno:

This isn't about reality, it's about stereotypes. Tall, lanky guy in grandpa's jumper with massive glasses is meant to give the impression of "uncool-ness". Stereotypes are used so that people can get the message instantly without having to give too much thought about what they're seeing. You wouldn't find a muscular, Greek God lookalike with a perfect, white hollywood smile and an immaculate sense of style on the floor all bruised up after a mugging. You'd see a geek or a nerd. That's exactly the image that is being portrayed.

Agree with it or not...that is your choice, but that's Media for you. Media use steeotypes all the time. A number of people don't find glasses geeky...I don't...and I'm quite digging this geeky Mika...but that's just the image in this video.

True.

I don't think the glasses are an attempt to cast Mika in some generic uncool stereotype. You could see right from the first screencap it was going to be a specific Clark Kent scenario, which is just mirroring what happens in the movie.

The main character goes from this:

clarkdukekickass.jpg

to this:

Kick-Ass-Aaron-Johnson-Mark-Millar-John-Romita-Jr.-01_mid.jpg

That's what I see when I watch this video. It's more a Clark Kent transformation.

Let's look at Clark Kent.

Yes, he wears glasses, and (in the Superman movies), Clark is more often than not rescued by Lois. But were he to not wear glasses and demonstrated his strength (or other talents) in some way, he would've brought more attention to himself.

The glasses are more a disguise and I don't think there are there to suggest that he is weak, rather that he is unassuming. And let's remember that in the movies, Clark is quite tall and well built.

I know that in Heroes, when Sylar is trying to fit into society or trying to hide, he becomes Gabriel. He does that by wearing glasses. It doesn't mean that he's weak, more that he's trying to be unassuming.

It is nice to see some MFCers are still enjoying Kick-Ass & not criticizing every phrase, line & look - when the movie isn't out yet - which the song represents.

I am sorry but twenty four hours ago most of us were getting great enjoyment out of a new Mika song.

Now more than a few are putting their individual spin on every part of the disection wothout having the whole picture.

No wonder Mika refers to us as the Mad F**kers Club!

I am glad Mika reads the topics & not the threads.

Mika's Kick-Ass rocks!!

Bravo & Congrats Mika & RedOne!

I'm sorry Kodes, but who says I'm not still enjoying the song? I think I speak for everyone who is taking part in the conversation that we all enjoy the song. We're simply discussing the song, and whether or not it is similar in theme to WAG. None of us are criticising the song. I'm certainly not. With the exception of the post Christine made, nothing has been said about the movie.

I'm not about to sit back and blindly idolise Mika's every move, and if I want to discuss something or say that I don't like something he does, then I feel I am perfectly entitled to do so.

This wasn't supposed to come across as mean or horrible, by the way.

I can't remember anyone criticising this song (for a change). As far as that is concerned, everyone has the right to tell their opinion. I personally think that it is constructive criticism that builds an artist and not blind adoration. Mika himself referred to something similar at one of his UK gigs.

Of course, we could post

:wub2:s and

:clap:s and

:bow:s and

:groupwave:s and

be :fangurl:ing each and every time Mika opens his mouth, but that would be the end of MFC , I suppose.

I really enjoy discussions even (or mainly) with people who have a different opinion from me.

I agree with you Suzie!

I hold Mika entirely responsible for any new and shocking aspects of the WAG video discussions. It's not MFC's fault he was dancing around 3/4 nekkid with his hands down his pants and a giant penis hat on his head.

:doh:

Thanks Christine. Now all I think when I hear WAG is that he's wearing a giant penis on his head.

Great, now Mika's a dickhead! :lmfao:

Oh I used to doodle in class all the time lol

:teehee:

My friends and I used to wage world wars on each other in year 10 english!

Sorry, back on topic...

:fangurl: ZOMG I LOVE KA!!! IT'S AWESOME!!!

I know that in Heroes, when Sylar is trying to fit into society or trying to hide, he becomes Gabriel. He does that by wearing glasses. It doesn't mean that he's weak, more that he's trying to be unassuming.

:teehee: I was thinking of Heroes too Teegs... but trust you to mention Sylar :drool:

(I still prefer comparing MIKA to Peter Petrelli though) :wink2:

I'm so addicted to this song! I find it even more catchy than Grace Kelly! It might even become my new fav Mika songs! It makes me feel alive and kicking! :naughty:

I want to dance like crazy everytime and I cant stop playing it! That might be his great American hit! You're so right Marilyn! This song will be a total hit all around the world and many more fans will join the MFC thanks to it! Mika rules! I know I'm fangurling but this song just takes me so high! I'm totally in love with it! :fangurl:

:teehee: I was thinking of Heroes too Teegs... but trust you to mention Sylar :drool:

(I still prefer comparing MIKA to Peter Petrelli though) :wink2:

I had to mention Sylar... he not only fits in the whole wearing glasses thing i was trying to prove, but he is gorgeous! :das::drool: (and really, any excuse to mention Zachary Quinto anywhere is good enough for me!)

(Hehe, Peter... I could live with comparing Mika to Peter :teehee:)

Sorry, off topic again :blush-anim-cl:

Wow,

Kick Ass video has more than 43.000 views and that's just one vid! And that's the result after only 2 days after the release!

Hm, what I miss in the song is an ending, no fading out...(Like a unique word like"kaching-ah" or an isntrument tone or whatever)

Otherwise it doesn't represent the power of the song.

That's the only criticism.

Anyone else here who thinks that?

Hopefully he'll sing it live and then it has to have an ending!

Wow,
Kick Ass video has more than 43.000 views and that's just one vid!

one more from me just now...:teehee:

Hm, what I miss in the song is an ending, no fading out...(Like a unique word like"kaching-ah" or an isntrument tone or whatever) Otherwise it doesn't represent the power of the song.

I think it is the perfect ending for the purpose of this song being an action movie soundtrack. It is supposed to be played on repeat.

one more from me just now...:teehee:

Good job:teehee:

I think it is the perfect ending for the purpose of this song being an action movie soundtrack. It is supposed to be played on repeat.

I Dunno...An action movie needs an action ending soundtrack:naughty:

Wow,
Kick Ass video has more than 43.000 views and that's just one vid! And that's the result after only 2 days after the release!

Hm, what I miss in the song is an ending, no fading out...(Like a unique word like"kaching-ah" or an isntrument tone or whatever)

Yes and most of the viewers are from North America which is where I would like to see Mika attract more fans!!

:woot_jump::woot_jump:

I can't wait to see Mika perform Kick-Ass live!:thumb_yello:

Good job:teehee:

I agree, like Chad Kroegers, Hero, from Spiderman 2:thumb_yello:

This is not a typical action movie, though...:biggrin2:

and you mentioned him performing it live.

Somehow I don't think it would be strong live (unless he changes it, of course) but should be fine for tv shows.. etc.

Edited by suzie

Yes and most of the viewers are from North America which is where I would like to see Mika attract more fans!!

:woot_jump::woot_jump:

I can't wait to see Mika perform Kick-Ass live!:thumb_yello:

*Agrees with what you said!*

I also want him to get more real fans in Britain too. I've been so disappointed for Mika that he didn't sell more copies of TBWKTM here in the UK. I mean... where are all the British folks who bought LICM? The trouble is that over here it's mostly all about the next big thing (Mika in 2007 was the next big thing) and long established legendary artists. Mika needs to move to the Established Legend status with a huge and faithful fanbase to ensure his songs and albums become hits. This could do it for him!

Wow,

I just watched it and put it on my faves!! It's got about 46,000 and something now!!!

This is not a typical action movie, though...:biggrin2:

and you mentioned him performing it live.

Somehow I don't think it would be strong live (unless he changes it, of course) but should be fine for tv shows.. etc.

i agree, the song is strong with the video/movie but might not be able to stand alone as well.