• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was wondering about what actually happened to her children. I knew her basic story, but I was never interested enough to follow the case so closely I could remember the details about her children, especially about her son and his death (her story was told here mostly in tabloids anyway).

It's such a tragical story. I don't want to even start to analyze who to blame, it looks she wasn't capable of taking care of any of her responsibilities or strong enough to make any decisions (but as I said, I didn't much follow this case).

It's all very sad, and admittedly I don't know enough about her story to know what sort of invisible demons she may have been fighting (depression, mental illness, etc). Still I hesitate to call the whole thing a "tragedy", really, because again to me that word has connotations of being out of the victim's control and given that self-destruction came into play, I'm not sure she's entirely a victim of circumstance.

Even so, she was torn apart by the media and the rest of the world. The world enjoyed the breakdown. Had no one paid this amount of negative attention, she wouldn't have been famous and she wouldn't have made those choices. She wasn't a stable person to begin with and basically was forced to play the part the media wanted her to play. And that has taken its toll.

I think both of the statements I've bolded are so very true. The world does love a trainwreck, which leads to a media frenzy, which leads to a situation like you get with say, Amy Winehouse, or Lindsay Lohan. It is a sad aspect of our time that when celebs self-destruct they end up doing so in a fishbowl. :sad:

GGG makes me think of Courtney Love, I saw a picture of her during a live show (festival or whatever) where she wrote "Georgia" on her body (maybe she was playing in Georgia this time) it is an old pic (like in between the 1990 and 1998) I don't remember, I don't find it now ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvVYESI2PzM

I found the picture of her with Georgia written on her body :biggrin2: (it was in 1999)

courtn10.jpg

Ok must go to work now :thumb_yello:

:aah: No, luckily...( It would totally destroy the song for me.. :naughty:)

Her story might inspire Mika to write a song about Anne Nicole - like Sting wrote Roxanne :naughty: - but GGG is actually about a once sweet girl who hangs around rock bands, gives up everything and uses everyone in order to become a star.

In Mika's words:"It is about an attention seeking, very ambitious girl who forsakes everything in order to make it... and it's based on somebody I know "

So, pretty obvious, I guess:teehee:

It can be also true, based on his own words which I rememeber pretty well.

But at the same time I don't buy his explanation for granted, cos writting lyrics always includes numerous and more complex elements, not only one.:wink2: I

In this particular case the point is that these girls were seeking for a sugar dady to acomplish their ambitions, even though that finally led them to (self)distruction.

So he tried to construct a certain type of a girl/woman who sell their soul to devil for pleasure, wealth and career.:biggrin2:

It can be also true, based on his own words which I rememeber pretty well.

But at the same time I don't buy his explanation for granted, cos writting lyrics always includes numerous and more complex elements, not only one.:wink2: I

In this particular case the point is that these girls were seeking for a sugar dady to acomplish their ambitions, even though that finally led them to (self)distruction.

So he tried to construct a certain type of a girl/woman who sell their soul to devil for pleasure, wealth and career.:biggrin2:

I think there were two different interpretations of that when we were discussing the lyrics.

One interpretation (like mine, for example) said that it is about 2 girls: both hungry for fame & fortune and using different means to get it.

The other version was that the second part of the song was about the same girl about two decades later, having turned old and bitter. I like both interpretations but I'd like to think that the song was based on the life and ambitions of a woman/ women he knew (as he even said it) rather than some shallow celebrities. I hope he'll give us some further clues one day.

Edited by suzie

:aah: No, luckily...( It would totally destroy the song for me.. :naughty:)

Her story might inspire Mika to write a song about Anne Nicole - like Sting wrote Roxanne :naughty: - but GGG is actually about a once sweet girl who hangs around rock bands, gives up everything and uses everyone in order to become a star.

In Mika's words:"It is about an attention seeking, very ambitious girl who forsakes everything in order to make it... and it's based on somebody I know "

So, pretty obvious, I guess:teehee:

Suzie,please... would you be so kind and enlighten me?? It´s not that obvious for me and I don´t have a clue about who he´s talking about... :blink:

*feels super dumb*:mf_rosetinted:

Suzie,please... would you be so kind and enlighten me?? It´s not that obvious for me and I don´t have a clue about who he´s talking about... :blink:

*feels super dumb*:mf_rosetinted:

well, if it is not that obvious, I prefer to leave people in the darkness rather than make them blinded by the light...:mf_rosetinted:

:roftl:

I regret I said it's obvious if it is not. Let's just forget it.:teehee:

I'm off for lunch now, anyway

I always think of Katy Perry when I hear that song. Don't know why - I'm probably way off the mark. And anyway, even if a song starts out as being inspired by someone real, it usually ends up being a fairy-tale :roftl:

Even so, she was torn apart by the media and the rest of the world. The world enjoyed the breakdown. Had no one paid this amount of negative attention, she wouldn't have been famous and she wouldn't have made those choices.

Well that takes me back to my original comment on this - the only tragedy here is that anyone ever paid her any attention in the first place. So I don't know why anyone would make an opera about her if they felt genuine compassion for her and I don't understand why Mika was so eager to see it and expecting great things from it :dunno: To me the way to truly show respect for her and her circumstances would be to let her rest in peace and not immortalize her poor choices and their horrible consequences by setting them to music and replaying them for an audience. :doh:

Well that takes me back to my original comment on this - the only tragedy here is that anyone ever paid her any attention in the first place. So I don't know why anyone would make an opera about her if they felt genuine compassion for her and I don't understand why Mika was so eager to see it and expecting great things from it :dunno: To me the way to truly show respect for her and her circumstances would be to let her rest in peace.

Maybe at some point of that Anna girl´s life,Mika feels identified with her... :dunno: Mika´s thoughts are sooo weird....:roftl:

I think there were two different interpretations of that when we were discussing the lyrics.

One interpretation (like mine, for example) said that it is about 2 girls: both hungry for fame & fortune and using different means to get it.

The other version was that the second part of the song was about the same girl about two decades later, having turned old and bitter. I like both interpretations but I'd like to think that the song was based on the life and ambitions of a woman/ women he knew (as he even said it) rather than some shallow celebrities. I hope he'll give us some further clues one day.

I don't see any crutial discrepancy between your and my opinion.

If he wrote his lyrics based in some real life prototype (it's also case with "Lonely Alcoholic"), it doesn't change too much in the concept of understanding its meaning in the final version. Lyrics and art could never simply imitate some empirical facts, but always transform them into a piece of art.

For instance, all of actual female celebrities were some unknown girls back then craving for a fame.

Even if you concider them shallow today, they're have still become celebrities, whatever we might think about them.

I don't see any crutial discrepancy between your and my opinion.

I didn't see it, either, but now I do :naughty: (:teehee:)

For instance, all of actual female celebrities were some unknown girls back then craving for a fame.

Even if you concider them shallow today, they're have still become celebrities, whatever we might think about them.

That is not what I meant at all.

Once unknown girl achieving fame by whatever means to become a singer / performer = popstar (see Katy Perry).

Once unknown girl achieving fame by whatever means to merely become a tabloid feature /WAG = C list celeb (see Katie Price)

Significant difference - Katie Price was and will always be shallow, Katy Perry has never been.

i.e Achieving celebrity status in itself is not something to take pride in.

Edited by suzie

Hmm...that's not what I heard yesterday. :teehee:

Well,.. good point. :roftl:

I mean, becoming an famous (good/ bad) singer is an achievement. Marrying footballers and popstars is not, IMO, anyway.:naughty:

Well that takes me back to my original comment on this - the only tragedy here is that anyone ever paid her any attention in the first place. So I don't know why anyone would make an opera about her if they felt genuine compassion for her and I don't understand why Mika was so eager to see it and expecting great things from it :dunno: To me the way to truly show respect for her and her circumstances would be to let her rest in peace and not immortalize her poor choices and their horrible consequences by setting them to music and replaying them for an audience. :doh:

Well, I never commented on the opera and I do agree with you on that matter.

Hmm...that's not what I heard yesterday. :teehee:

I didn't appreciate him tweeting such things without coming with a valid argument to back up his case. She is very clever actually and she knows what works and won't.

I didn't appreciate him tweeting such things without coming with a valid argument to back up his case. She is very clever actually and she knows what works and won't.

I agree with you, Ingie.

It was a #voiceofagenerationformiddleclasskidswithoutrealproblems tweet ...:teehee: