Grazie mille cara !!!!!

I'm waiting for the translation,

I can read some names Maurice Sendak ( I love :) !!) William Blake (respect !) Keats ( GREAT !) Beatles :wub2:Jim Woodling :teehee:Disney :aah:

and DaWack !!!! :mf_lustslow:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, very quick translation!

This month's theme is art.

He starts by saying how he went to meet an illustrator in Connecticut, the famous illustrator of Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak. He's now 82, and on meeting Mika he said he was very young. He says they talked for 3 hours. He's got a lot of admiration for him, saying that he changed the way childrens' books were illustrated.

He says that if he hadn't become a singer he would've been an illustrator. He says that illustrations are like pop songs, they capture people's attention instantly, and that they both create things that are indescribable using simple ingredients. He says Sendak was physically like the characters he drew, and had a quick sense of humour. People don't realise how much of an influence the illustrators from the 40s (many of them Jews) like Sendak had. Many of them emigrated to the States to escape the war and found a growing editorial industry, with new developments in printing techology creating books that needed to be filled with illustrations. He also says that it's thanks to Walt Disney that many revolutionary illustrations were created.

He then goes on to talk about how he was expelled from school when he was 11. He didn't know how to read or write, but his mum decided to make him start from scratch and kept him away from school for a year, when he learned to sing and play the piano, and studied the characters in childrens' books. A couple of years later he used his savings to buy his first painting, a watercolour by Jim Woodring, of a rabbit called Frank that lived in a surreal immaginary world. And that was only the beginning, if he earned a bit of money he would spend it on a painting. At 17 he exchanged and sold his designs online, and he wasn't the only one.

And the illustration on the page, it's by Yasmine, who thought it'd be a nice idea if one of us designed something for the next article. So if you want your design to appear in next month's XL, send an email to feedback@xelle.it (Subject: Illustrazione Mika) by May 13th and they will then choose the best one!

I can read some names Maurice Sendak ( I love :) !!) William Blake (respect !) Keats ( GREAT !) Beatles :wub2:Jim Woodling :teehee:Disney :aah:

... and illustrator Tibor Gergely - also Jewish immigrant. (I tend to spot Hungarian names first :teehee:)

Mika already wrote about his art in one of his blogs in 2008.

PS: @Nezza thanks for the summary :flowers2:

Edited by suzie

He starts by saying how he went to meet an illustrator in Connecticut, the famous illustrator of Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak. He's now 82, and on meeting Mika he said he was very young. He says they talked for 3 hours. He's got a lot of admiration for him, saying that he changed the way childrens' books were illustrated.

He says that if he hadn't become a singer he would've been an illustrator. He says that illustrations are like pop songs, they capture people's attention instantly, and that they both create things that are indescribable using simple ingredients. He says Sendak was physically like the characters he drew, and had a quick sense of humour. People don't realise how much of an influence the illustrators from the 40s (many of them Jews) like Sendak had. Many of them emigrated to the States to escape the war and found a growing editorial industry, with new developments in printing techology creating books that needed to be filled with illustrations. He also says that it's thanks to Walt Disney that many revolutionary illustrations were created.

He then goes on to talk about how he was expelled from school when he was 11. He didn't know how to read or write, but his mum decided to make him start from scratch and kept him away from school for a year, when he learned to sing and play the piano, and studied the characters in childrens' books. A couple of years later he used his savings to buy his first painting, a watercolour by Jim Woodring, of a rabbit called Frank that lived in a surreal immaginary world. And that was only the beginning, if he earned a bit of money he would spend it on a painting. At 17 he exchanged and sold his designs online, and he wasn't the only one.

And the illustration on the page, it's by Yasmine, who thought it'd be a nice idea if one of us designed something for the next article. So if you want your design to appear in next month's XL, send an email to feedback@xelle.it (Subject: Illustrazione Mika) by May 13th and they will then choose the best one!

thank youuuuuuuuuuuu!!

and the design thing is just SO AMAZING!!!!:wub2:

lots of talented people on here!!!!!:wub2:

ok, very quick translation!

He starts by saying how he went to meet an illustrator in connecticut, the famous illustrator of where the wild things are, maurice sendak. He's now 82, and on meeting mika he said he was very young. He says they talked for 3 hours. He's got a lot of admiration for him, saying that he changed the way childrens' books were illustrated.

He says that if he hadn't become a singer he would've been an illustrator. He says that illustrations are like pop songs, they capture people's attention instantly, and that they both create things that are indescribable using simple ingredients. He says sendak was physically like the characters he drew, and had a quick sense of humour. People don't realise how much of an influence the illustrators from the 40s (many of them jews) like sendak had. Many of them emigrated to the states to escape the war and found a growing editorial industry, with new developments in printing techology creating books that needed to be filled with illustrations. He also says that it's thanks to walt disney that many revolutionary illustrations were created.

He then goes on to talk about how he was expelled from school when he was 11. He didn't know how to read or write, but his mum decided to make him start from scratch and kept him away from school for a year, when he learned to sing and play the piano, and studied the characters in childrens' books. A couple of years later he used his savings to buy his first painting, a watercolour by jim woodring, of a rabbit called frank that lived in a surreal immaginary world. And that was only the beginning, if he earned a bit of money he would spend it on a painting. At 17 he exchanged and sold his designs online, and he wasn't the only one.

And the illustration on the page, it's by yasmine, who thought it'd be a nice idea if one of us designed something for the next article. So if you want your design to appear in next month's xl, send an email to feedback@xelle.it (subject: Illustrazione mika) by may 13th and they will then choose the best one!

thank you!

Thanks!!!!! :flowers2:

Did you know that I'm learning Italian thanks to this articles?

If you want some tips from someone else who's learned it... :wink2:

:original:

if you read the first post of this thread, you can see it's what I've expected anyone would do :naughty:

W L'ITALIA! :italia:

:italia:

Thank you, Nezza! :wink2:

And this is so nice from them to let people participate in their projects :thumb_yello:

Thanks for the summary Nezza!

I wonder how he gets to visit someone like Maurice Sendak...does one manager call the other manager? Is he famous enough now that he can tell someone to get in touch on his behalf?? Or does he have to do it himself and go through the publishing company like other mere mortals?

Thank you for translating, Nezza! :huglove:

Thank you Nezza!!!

I it a such a pleasure to watch again how polymathic he is. I think his intelligence is one of most significant reasons why I'm here at MFC :fangurl:

Yeah, that and his bum...:mf_rosetinted:

Thank you very much for the quick translation! I like the sound of this one a lot! :wub2:

Thanks for posting, Robi! I love that Mika is still writing these! :wub2:

:italia:

I'll vote for that! :italia:

:naughty:

And thanks for translating so quickly, Nezza -- I always like to read it in

Italian first and then compare your translation to my interpretation, just

to make sure I got it right! Nice to know that I still can understand the

Italian, even though I'm rusty. :thumb_yello: