I'm from essex and definitely not like that ... I really hate the way essex girls are portrayed ... I'm abit like Caz ... I don't really like saying I'm from here ... I should be essex and proud but programs like that make it really hard :aah:

And there is a lot of good things about Essex. Some parts have a lovely countryside with very nice houses (especially down Canvey Way on the way towards Benfleet) not to mention the fact that Radio was born from Chelmsford, Essex. But people don't look at the environment.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nowadays, the stereotype can go in two ways - looking and acting like Vicky Pollard or being a rich bitch/gold digger covered in a whole load of fake.

Even when I went to Egypt my group of friends told some Egyptians that we were from Essex and they went "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeey Essex giiiiiirrrrrrrls!!" :doh:

I had to look up who Vicky Pollard was…:lmfao:

I have watched several episodes of Little Britain and she is such a well-built character in that comedy. I base my opinion on the fact that I have seen charaters like her in real life in the UK :teehee:, although I never associated them to have come from particular parts of Britain. In a way it would make sense they do since our behaviour, attitude, language use and even our dress sense is largely shaped by the community we live in. I most definitely refuse to accept that most Essex girls are like her though.

I certainly do NOT think Essex people are like that. All steryotyping is wrong imo.

I’d say letting my attitude towards people be ruled by stereotypical thinking is wrong as it can affect the way I interact with them. On the other hand, awareness about certain stereotypes can even be useful when handling certain situations. I cannot fully exclude stereotyping in my everyday life but I try not to be judgemental and let these make me prejudiced against groups of people.

It is good you brought up the question of stereotyping on this thread as I think most of us have stereotyped Anne Nicole Smith as a D-list (or DD-list :naughty: ) celeb who is not even worth writing an opera about. I also think so, actually. Or at least not with the intent that opera seems to have been written (i.e to ridicule her).

I'm not exactly posh totty but I'm not like those girls at all and find the show very irritating, as are many other people in Essex. It has created a tourism boost by 140% though so hopefully those that come here for a holiday realise that we're just another place in England, just with a different accent :naughty:

:aah: ohhhhhhhhhhh i like that expression :naughty:

"posh totty" ... i'll have to find a way to insert it in a conversation with hubby and see his reaction :roftl:

"posh totty" ... i'll have to find a way to insert it in a conversation with hubby and see his reaction :roftl:

:lmfao: you'll have to tell us what he said :roftl: have you never heard it before?

:lmfao: you'll have to tell us what he said :roftl: have you never heard it before?

no! it's not an expression we use here at all, but i like it! :naughty: btw, hubby is english canadian... he speaks french, but you can definitely tell his mother tongue is english (+ he is shy :teehee:)

since i joined the MikaFanClub, i've come up with these english words, expressions etc... that we don't use here. He always looks at me like this :blink::roftl:

hello peeps^^,

what`s about the new article in the column??

I mean is it out yet??

There are long discusions in here and my internet breaks down all the time,so I wasn`t able to look threw it properly...:blush-anim-cl:

hello peeps^^,

what`s about the new article in the column??

I mean is it out yet??

There are long discusions in here and my internet breaks down all the time,so I wasn`t able to look threw it properly...:blush-anim-cl:

here it is:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3427868&postcount=2411

Totty is in they eye of the beholder, Guy. One man's totty is another man's trash.

I have watched several episodes of Little Britain and she is such a well-built character in that comedy. I base my opinion on the fact that I have seen charaters like her in real life in the UK :teehee:, although I never associated them to have come from particular parts of Britain. In a way it would make sense they do since our behaviour, attitude, language use and even our dress sense is largely shaped by the community we live in. I most definitely refuse to accept that most Essex girls are like her though.

I just want to note that Vicky Pollard is actually from the west country though (Darkley Noon? thought to be near Bristol), not Essex. I am not sure if the creators meant her to be a stereotype of people from the west country or just the whole of the UK.

Totty is in they eye of the beholder, Guy. One man's totty is another man's trash.

:naughty: i had to google the word when caz said it before.

the urban dictionary says it can be used on female and male?

somehow it just doesn't sound right :dunno:

and yes, you are right :blush-anim-cl:

I’d say letting my attitude towards people be ruled by stereotypical thinking is wrong as it can affect the way I interact with them. On the other hand, awareness about certain stereotypes can even be useful when handling certain situations. I cannot fully exclude stereotyping in my everyday life but I try not to be judgemental and let these make me prejudiced against groups of people.

It is good you brought up the question of stereotyping on this thread as I think most of us have stereotyped Anne Nicole Smith as a D-list (or DD-list :naughty: ) celeb who is not even worth writing an opera about. I also think so, actually. Or at least not with the intent that opera seems to have been written (i.e to ridicule her).

The media seems to be only happy when they are bringing someone down. They do seem to have their favourites, for example, Cheryl Cole, but then they have the people they always seem to pick on. Some of them, for example, Katie Price, encourage it by having cameras following them everywhere, almost into the loo, and then moan about the paps and the articles that are written.

I suppose when Anna Nicole Smith filmed her reality show, she was putting herself out there. I had never heard of her before that reality show she did. But reality shows never show people in a good light, so I don't think they are worth it. But they'll always have ex celebs ready to subject themselves to those programs, just to keep their fame once their 15 minutes are up.

I just want to note that Vicky Pollard is actually from the west country though (Darkley Noon? thought to be near Bristol), not Essex. I am not sure if the creators meant her to be a stereotype of people from the west country or just the whole of the UK.

Interesting. I always thought that this character was more social class related but maybe they thought it was charateristic more of certain counties in the UK than others... I certainly can't tell the difference.

Well that takes me back to my original comment on this - the only tragedy here is that anyone ever paid her any attention in the first place. So I don't know why anyone would make an opera about her if they felt genuine compassion for her and I don't understand why Mika was so eager to see it and expecting great things from it :dunno:To me the way to truly show respect for her and her circumstances would be to let her rest in peace and not immortalize her poor choices and their horrible consequences by setting them to music and replaying them for an audience. :doh:

I totally agree with you here, I can't help feel that whoever decided to do this, was just cashing in on her notoriety.

Oh no it's always existed but the stereotype has altered slightly. In my mum and dad's generation Essex girls were always known to wear white stillettos and have white handbags :dunno: Even last night I was watching an episode of Come Dine With Me and it was set in Southend, Essex. One of the guy's desserts was called "white stilletto" (even though it didn't resemble a high heel at all) and said "Oh yeah the girls will love my dessert cos of the name, and then they'll just talk about shoes all night" - and that's coming from a guy who LIVES in Essex :doh: These women were friendly and intelligent - one was a business woman who also works on Southend Radio and the other worked for a charity, and yet they were still belittled by a man who lives in the same county as they do who IMO should have known better (in fact, the woman who works for a charity reminded me of Jemma because she was so friendly and chatty :biggrin2:)

Nowadays, the stereotype can go in two ways - looking and acting like Vicky Pollard or being a rich bitch/gold digger covered in a whole load of fake.

Even when I went to Egypt my group of friends told some Egyptians that we were from Essex and they went "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeey Essex giiiiiirrrrrrrls!!" :doh:

It's very ridiculous :roftl:

Okay thanks :naughty:

Can I just say, that there are girls like the Vicky Pollard character in Bristol, I've seen them. I guess Matt Lucas had too, when he was in uni there.

Perez talked about the play back in February:

http://perezhilton.com/2011-02-17-legal-action-against-anna-nicole-opera

Legal Action Against Anna Nicole Opera

So if you weren't aware, there is an opera going on right now in London based on Anna Nicole Smith's life!

Apparently, how she's being portrayed is not sitting well with the rest of Anna Nicole's estate, and they're taking legal action against the show.

How are they portraying her? With a very large woman with huge ta-tas who kinda looks like her!

The producers of it didn't even get permission from them to go ahead with it!

Sounds like the do have some grounds, but we haven't seen the show so we can't vouch personally for the portrayal and whether or not it's as offensive as they claim.

Has anyone seen it?

What do U think about this??

Yes that's right, Vicky Pollard's character doesn't come from Essex, but some do think Essex is just full of chavvy gits with kids at a very young age (which in truth, that's happened practically everywhere round the country lol). I was just using Vicky as a firm, understandable example.

We've got a new reality show in Britain that many people are raving about, called "The Only Way Is Essex."

The other week I watched it, to see what the hype was about and the only one who was remotely interesting was a pig called Mr Darcy.

The rest were almost as interesting as watching paint dry, and you could tell they were reading from a script, it was Sooooo staged!!

I'll be giving it a miss in future. I've probably only got about 40 years left on this mortal coil, I'm not wasting them watching rubbish like that!!

I'm totally hooked, sorry. It's much better than big brother and all them- probably (I suspect) because it's almost scripted

Edited by Soaring Simpson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...