• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mika is in Milan today (and we knew nothing :mf_rosetinted:) so maye he will stumble into some students protesting in the streets/Piazza Duomo :teehee:

:naughty:

Is he in Milan? Do you know what is he doing there? And we didn't know anything :sneaky2:

the kick ass competition and a visit to a children's hospital

i guess people not protesting against bad politics is a general thing in the western countries, not just in italy. i don't know what exactly the problem in italy is for the students, but fact is, most of us have a good life - we might not be super happy about everything the politicians do, but as long as it doesn't bother us too much personally and directly, we don't feel the need to do anything about it.

What some people might not realise in Western Europe, however, is that just because you currently have a good life does not guarantee that

a, you can keep it up if irresponsible politics continue

b, other people stuck in circumstances out of their control also lead a good life

c, you are not treated as gullible marionettes, nodding to everything and assisting to some sinister events.

i was just thinking when i read that, that during the 3rd Reich in germany, i probably also wouldn't have protested, as it'd have cost me my life. :boxed:

To be honest, I feel the same.

Nowadays I often think what I would have done if I had lived during WWII , in between the 2 WWs or if I had been an adult during communism... I know the answer. I would have escaped. That is my defence mechanism - I never identified with heroes risking their life for freedom of speech or a better future...etc. (At the same time, it does not mean that I would assist to anything morally wrong in my book.)

What some people might not realise in Western Europe, however, is that just because you currently have a good life does not guarantee that

a, you can keep it up if irresponsible politics continue

b, other people stuck in circumstances out of their control also lead a good life

c, you are not treated as gullible marionettes, nodding to everything and assisting to some sinister events.

I'm not quite sure I understand...but I think it's really important to point out that "a good life" meaning the right to vote, freedom of speech and even some human rights are not to be taken for granted. A democratic government can easily be exchanged by a one with less democratic attitude!

Maybe that was what you meant?:wink2:

To be honest, I feel the same.

Nowadays I often think what I would have done if I had lived during WWII , in between the 2 WWs or if I had been an adult during communism... I know the answer. I would have escaped. That is my defence mechanism - I never identified with heroes risking their life for freedom of speech or a better future...etc. (At the same time, it does not mean that I would assist to anything morally wrong in my book.)

But to escape also means to leave behind family and dear ones and not the least the place "where your cradle stood"!

(:teehee:I have absolutely no idea how to express that in English!)

And did the government actually allow people to move away?

What kick ass competition? :blush-anim-cl:

The Universal in Italy made a competition inspired by Kick Ass and one LUCKY person had the chance to a win meet & greet with Mika to draw something together and seems the big day for this person is today :naughty:

The Universal in Italy made a competition inspired by Kick Ass and one LUCKY person had the chance to a win meet & greet with Mika to draw something together and seems the big day for this person is today :naughty:

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

I'm not jealous at all :mf_rosetinted:

:tears:

wish 1) I live in Italy 2) know how to draw...

:shocked:

Yes please tell us, what was it about!

Well they organized a hunger strike which lasted about a week (20-30 students representative) in order to make our Ministery for education to provide a proper finance budget for all students who have minimum between 48-54 ASP points for the regular tuition and not self-budget. Otherwise they have to pay about 2000 EUROs and they demand the full sum for those who acomplished all 60 points. It's the rule of Bologna education system and it sucks for the poor young people.:sneaky2:

Well they organized a hunger strike which lasted about a week (20-30 students representative) in order to make our Ministery for education to provide a proper finance budget for all students who have minimum between 48-54 ASP points for the regular tuition and not self-budget. Otherwise they have to pay about 2000 EUROs and they demand the full sum for those who acomplished all 60 points. It's the rule of Bologna education system and it sucks for the poor young people.:sneaky2:

Thanks for the explanation!:thumb_yello:

I am very happy that through this column Mika can show he has got brains and ideas. It is great that he is attentive to what happens in the world and is not only busy with his career and his own life.

I feel honoured that he pays attention to what is going on in my country, too. :blush-anim-cl:

I am very happy that through this column Mika can show he has got brains and ideas. It is great that he is attentive to what happens in the world and is not only busy with his career and his own life.

I feel honoured that he pays attention to what is going on in my country, too. :blush-anim-cl:

Exactly Laura, I agree :thumb_yello: not my country, but I think without borders:wink2:

Thanks for the explanation!:thumb_yello:

You're very wellcome :wink2: The similar things happen in all our Ex Yu countries.

One of the reason he pays attention what's going in Italy is the fact that he writes column for the prestige Italian magazine, and he should cope with your national topics. It seems quite predictable to me. :biggrin2:

But besides that, he has an emotional attachment to your country, as well as to some others. :wink2:

One of the reason he pays attention what's going in Italy is the fact that he writes column for the prestige Italian magazine, and he should cope with your national topics. It seems quite predictable to me. :biggrin2:

But besides that, he has an emotional attachment to your country, as well as to some others. :wink2:

Well, I actually said that because reading the article you have the impression that he has been following the situation quite closely for a while. I mean, it doesn't sound like an article written after googling a few facts. He reported a bad joke by our dear Mr B which seems to have struck him sincerely. But that is just my opinion, I may be mistaken. :dunno: He probably reads the news regularly about lots of other countries, but the fact that he doesn't forget Italy - perhaps he should :mf_rosetinted: - is great anyway.

I'm not quite sure I understand...but I think it's really important to point out that "a good life" meaning the right to vote, freedom of speech and even some human rights are not to be taken for granted. A democratic government can easily be exchanged by a one with less democratic attitude!

Maybe that was what you meant?:wink2:

yes, exactly. My point was that "living a good life" in economic sense can easily make people turn a blind eye to the problem of others or forget about some responsibilities with the running of the democratic institutions...etc.

But to escape also means to leave behind family and dear ones and not the least the place "where your cradle stood"!

yes, but living in constant terror can easily overwrite such feelings. :sad:

And did the government actually allow people to move away?

No, not during communism, so you risked a lot in case your escaped failed.

Besides, you were not only risking your life but partly ruined the life of those in your family that you left behind as it usually meant they became victims of the 'system' taking their revenge...etc

PS: When is the English text due? on Monday?