Thank you for the recommended reading, Robi :original:

I think there are several other countries with similar attitude to change - it is partly cultural and it might even have roots in (Catholic)religion.

sure!

and our belly is full...no need to worry :wink2:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and our belly is full...no need to worry :wink2:

:roftl:

I can totally picture myself living in Italy for a couple of years.

Beautiful country with versatile scenery, great food , friendly people and handsome guys - what else is needed? :teehee:

Edited by suzie

I never thought I would like his articles this much! I love it!

I mean, I love everything about him, everything he does :teehee: But an article of this kind is totally different to anything we've seen before.

He keeps on surprising me everytime :wub2:

Aaaand thank to him I've discovered my uni is 139 on that list :wub2: Makes me pretty proud, all the effort I am making is for something good after all :mf_rosetinted: And talking about what the article is about.. we protest, a lot, not me, I don't, don't like any kind of violence that turns out from all those things here...

Reading this was a nice break from studying :biggrin2: Thanks for updating it everytime :thumb_yello:

... or it could be his non-edited style :teehee:

:naughty: That's what I think too. Some of the mistakes he made here in the column coincide with some of his twitter spelling quirks :naughty:. Not just talking of bombfires here :lmfao:

I'm surprised Schwarzenegger was spelled right :naughty:

And his absolutly right if there's no unit they'll hardly be heard

the politics in my country have dedicated themselves to divide the people...divide and conquer... :sneaky2:

I'm surprised Schwarzenegger was spelled right :naughty:

I'm not, actually :dunno: Once you know the German alphabet and the rules of pronunciation, you can write down anything the way you say it.

English language has a more complex spelling system , so no wonder dyslexia is more common with kids whose mother tongue is English.

And his absolutly right if there's no unit they'll hardly be heard

the politics in my country have dedicated themselves to divide the people...divide and conquer... :sneaky2:

that is a great point - I haven't thought about that.

If a nation is divided by politics and people's understanding is fully obscured by the side they are on, it is more difficult to unite them against appalling things. Therefore, the party in power can do the way they please - they will always have their supporters no matter what. :cool:

France is the number 1 protest nation in my opinion. If they don't agree: PROTEST! Which I think is a good thing.

Is it protests, too, or only strikes? (I am only asking as I haven't been following French politics)

In my opinion, overdoing it can also have a negative impact since when you really want to stand up for something it may lose its 'newsworthiness' and people might just shrug and say: "oh, it's just one of those strikes, who cares what they want again"...etc. :dunno:

Edited by suzie

I'm not, actually :dunno: Once you know the German alphabet and the rules of pronunciation, you can write down anything the way you say it.

English language has a more complex spelling system , so no wonder dyslexia is more common with kids whose mother tongue is English.

If a nation is divided by politics and people's understanding is fully obscured by the side they are on, it is more difficult to unite them against appalling things. Therefore, the party in power can do the way they please - they will always have their supporters no matter what. :cool:

Is it protests, too, or only strikes? (I am only asking as I haven't been following French politics)

In my opinion, overdoing it can also have a negative impact since when you really want to stand up for something it may lose its 'newsworthiness' and people might just shrug and say: "oh, it's just one of those strikes, who cares what they want again"...etc. :dunno:

in france people protest in the streets (many times they burn cars and containers,which i think is bad) but they do that A LOT. not only strikes,but people going together in the streets with banners and stuff.

here in my city,we have done ir for more than a month (because of the lack of employments) and we got NOTHING. NO-THING.

so i assume things are different in each country,and maybe we don´t protest cause experience has told us it doesn´t worth.... i´m only talking about spain,of course.

France is the number 1 protest nation in my opinion. If they don't agree: PROTEST! Which I think is a good thing. Here in Holland when we protest, it's nothing sensational.

They sure make it to the front-pages all over the world, but do they make a difference after all?

I don't know, I'm just curious.

I just love your conclusion about the German language!:biggrin2:

Or...there is is always dear old Google!

But I know what you mean, German is easier than English in the long run, at least when it comes to spelling!:wink2:

About the bold part: Isn't that the oldest politician trick in the book, divide and concur? That is why we have so many "parties of discontent" all over Europe.

I'm not sure about the expression, feel free to ask!:blush-anim-cl:

About the last part: I totally agree, I guess we have all heard the story "The boy who cried wolf":thumb_yello:

But still, after a quick thought, I realised that when I lived in the UK and spoke to my family in France I would say 'here, we...' and I would then include myself with British people.. :aah: So complicated :teehee:

Exactly! :thumb_yello:

you all have made correct considerations about Italians and their way to react to their Government or social injustice. The field is so broad that one could write books on the subject.

not easy to explain in a few words, but sure it's a habit we've been growing along the centuries.

in short...we can protest but we are fatalist too...cause we know any changement is just an adjustment of the status quo.

Please DO read 'Il Gattopardo', by Tomasi di Lampedusa or watch the old movie by Luchino Visconti, with Alain Delon, Claudia Cardinale and Burt Lancaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leopard_%28film%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Gattopardo

The situation is a bit more complicated than that in my opinion. People did vote this Prime Minister and people still support him. Some people are disappointed, but the present situation is ok for lots of people who want to keep certain "perks". I live next to Mr B and I know that lots of people still support him and even laugh about his idiotic jokes. :dunno: Other people are disappointed with the situation, but still they enjoy the advantages that the present government is giving to certain groups of people. So if the demonstrations do not involve the majority of people, there may be different reasons, too.

Students organised demonstrations a few days ago, that's true. But where were the teachers? Most teachers don't join demonstrations in the north of Italy, they don't even go on strike, not only because they don't feel like losing money, but because they still support the government sadly. :boxed:

I can totally picture myself living in Italy for a couple of years.

Beautiful country with versatile scenery, great food , friendly people and handsome guys - what else is needed? :teehee:

Perhaps no mafia, social justice and honesty? :sad:

France is the number 1 protest nation in my opinion. If they don't agree: PROTEST! Which I think is a good thing. Here in Holland when we protest, it's nothing sensational.

For sure, the french are past masters at doing protest and controversy on all subjects both for cultural reasons and historical

But this is not necessarily a good thing. While we have preserved many hard-won gains thanks to this, it also cripples the system when reforms are really necessary..

Very often strikes indeed but not only..

The problem is that strikes often become the last option for making reacted political leaders by taking in hostage customers...

Which generally leads many people to dissociate himself from their cause but puts pressure on political leaders

in france people protest in the streets (many times they burn cars and containers,which i think is bad) but they do that A LOT. not only strikes,but people going together in the streets with banners and stuff.

The ones who protest in the streets for political or social reasons are usually not the same who burn cars and containers.

Unfortunately, vandals take sometimes advantage of the situation to cause trouble..

They sure make it to the front-pages all over the world, but do they make a difference after all?

I don't know, I'm just curious.

They save time in most cases, a few more months of respite..

But after all, not sure it really makes a difference :dunno:

laura, i agree with what you wrote.

so many people here support the actual government and mr b. altough all 'intellighenzia' is against him.

quite a difficult knot to undo :sad:

Similar situation to my country then. :sad:

Unfortunately, the previous coalition government was so corrupt, however, that this new party in power seem to manage to cement themselves in power for at least a decade. As they have a 2/3rd majority, they can and will modify any law and even the constitution if needed.

Perhaps no mafia, social justice and honesty? :sad:

well, you are still lucky that it is all positive things that come to people's mind when they think about Italy. It is more than just the weather, it is the general spirit, I guess. :original:

Similar situation to my country then. :sad:

Unfortunately, the previous coalition government was so corrupt, however, that this new party in power seem to manage to cement themselves in power for at least a decade. As they have a 2/3rd majority, they can and will modify any law and even the constitution if needed.

well, you are still lucky that it is all positive things that come to people's mind when they think about Italy. It is more than just the weather, it is the general spirit, I guess. :original:

thanks for that! we need some positive vibes from the outside :blush-anim-cl:

here in my city,we have done ir for more than a month (because of the lack of employments) and we got NOTHING. NO-THING.

so i assume things are different in each country,and maybe we don´t protest cause experience has told us it doesn´t worth....

Yes, there is no right or wrong when it comes to strikes and protests. I think it all depends on circumstances and what makes sense in one country or for one cause can be absolutely counter productive in another.

I understand the situation is really bad in Greece, for example, but setting the streets on fire and blocking the way to the Acropolis does not really help the economic situation in a country where a large part of the GDP comes from tourism, for example.

The ones who protest in the streets for political or social reasons are usually not the same who burn cars and containers.

Unfortunately, vandals take sometimes advantage of the situation to cause trouble..

yes, true. It is partly the responsibility of the organisers of large scale demonstrations to make sure they do not turn violent, but often you cannot control it...

Very often strikes indeed but not only..

The problem is that strikes often become the last option for making reacted political leaders by taking in hostage customers...

Which generally leads many people to dissociate himself from their cause but puts pressure on political leaders

Thanks for explaining. The reason I was asking about protests vs strikes is that I was wondering if it is also common in France to hold (non-violent) protests / marches, if the topic is to unite against something unjust that may not directly impact the protesters but is considered to be anti-democratic (eg. demonstrations against racism..etc)

Most people would go on strike / protest if it is their own interest they need to defend but are somehow less willing to act when it is about something more abstract like human rights or an agenda they are not directly involved in.

Edited by suzie

Yes, there is no right or wrong when it comes to strikes and protests. I think it all depends on circumstances and what makes sense in one country or for one cause can be absolutely counter productive in another.

I understand the situation is really bad in Greece, for example, but setting the streets on fire and blocking the way to the Acropolis does not really help the economic situation in a country where a large part of the GDP comes from tourism, for example.

exactly... vandals are vandals,and the rest of us can do nothing,but... try to put yourself in their position... i mean... well... i just can talk about my country and personal experience about this. me and my husband are unemployed right now but fortunately,we can survive,but i don´t want to imagine wether my son wouldn´t have food to eat,while politicians are f*cking things up and stealing public´s money ( we have a laaaaaaaaaarge list of corruption here ). in that case,eventhough i know that blocking the way to my city,or burning things wouldn´t help me,i´m not sure i wouldn´t do that... i think it´s the IMPOTENCE... here in spain our super inteligent politicians want to level our way of live to the european way or live... but while in holland or germany people is earning like 1.500€,here we are earning 900€... that is what happens here... we pay for a house more than 70% of one´s wage.. so,a single person can´t buy a house... lots of couples bought a house 3 or 4 years ago,now,in lots of families,one (or even the two of them as in my case) is unemployed... so... if the 70% of your salary goes to pay the house... how is that family going to survive? that is what happened in greece... i don´t even want to think about it... it scares me.....

It's not just the spelling that's off. It's like someone else edited it - to pretty poor effect. Some of these thoughts don't flow together very well. It doesn't sound like his usual writing to me. :dunno:

I was thinking the same!

@basicamenteyo the situation sounds pretty bad over there...:shocked:

I understand that you are in trouble in Spain but I wonder if it is becasue mortgage rates went up or because people became unemployed...

As far as I remember in Greece the salaries of people working in the public sector were reduced (probably also pensions) and that caused the main tension.

In Hungary, the minimum wage is 280€ per month, the average net salary is 480€ per month...and mortgages people took in foreign currency due to the misjudged recommendation they heard from all players in the financial sector went up by 30-40% in the last 2 years... people are already losing their homes :emot-sad:

Thanks for explaining. The reason I was asking about protests vs strikes is that I was wondering if it is also common in France to hold (non-violent) protests / marches, if the topic is to unite against something unjust that may not directly impact the protesters but is considered to be anti-democratic (eg. demonstrations against racism..etc)

Most people would go on strike / protest if it is their own interest they need to defend but are somehow less willing to act when it is about something more abstract like human rights or an agenda they are not directly involved in.

Yes I think French people still has the capability to unit themselves for good causes, mainly on fighting for human rights.

We had, few years ago, a huge mobilisation for Ingrid Bettencourt's liberation, hostage in Columbia or even more recently for Sakineh, the iranian woman sentenced to death for murderer..

These are often ponctual non-violent protests and generally covered by a political organisation..

For us, it's quite usual

Does France is the only country to have this kind of protests? :dunno:

Edited by francoise

@basicamenteyo the situation sounds pretty bad over there...:shocked:

I understand that you are in trouble in Spain but I wonder if it is becasue mortgage rates went up or because people became unemployed...

As far as I remember in Greece the salaries of people working in the public sector were reduced (probably also pensions) and that caused the main tension.

In Hungary, the minimum wage is 280€ per month, the average net salary is 480€ per month...and mortgages people took in foreign currency due to the misjudged recommendation they heard from all players in the financial sector went up by 30-40% in the last 2 years... people are already losing their homes :emot-sad:

i must admit the situation over there is worse than here... the minimum wage here is 421€... and here the trouble is doble,i mean,the mortgage rates went up in quadruplicate,it made people to stop buying houses... it made constructors to stop building houses.. it made the bricklagers become unemployed (and also the plumbers,electricians,people who sold curtains,carpets....)so,every sector here was affected...and now we have a left-wing party in the government,and their politics is helping ONLY the workers,not the businessmen. and if your country doesn´t help the businessmen THEY WON´T CREATE EMPLOY!! to me is easy... instead of giving money to the banks,our government should help the businessmen to create employ... but again,we never protest cause a left-wing party has its own ideas,and of course they won´t change. we need to change the government.......

How is anyone living on these minimum wages? :shocked: The minimum wage here is 300€ per week.

ohhhhhhh north america discovers southern europe! :aah::teehee:

and a minimum rent for a flat here is 400 euros..in a small village...not in town!

but the list can go on and on....

How is anyone living on these minimum wages? :shocked: The minimum wage here is 300€ per week.

To begin with, most people do not have to pay mortgage, especially if they live in the countryside as it is usually a home they inherited from their parents / grandparents / they live in the same house with their parents...etc.

Some people grow vegetables in their garden, keep domestic animals so that they don't have to worry about food.

The poorest do not even work just get social benefits and they usually heat their houses with wood they get from nearby forests...etc...

It is an absolutely different type of living in the countryside of most of these Eastern European countries that is difficult to imagine in the Western world.