Just heard the car of Charles & Camilla was attacked by people demonstrating against the Parliament having voted for a rise in tuition fees :shocked:

They were unharmed but I would have never thought of it ever happening in the UK.:blink:

Oh dear :shocked: I'm really surprised.

If you want to read some good fiction about Britain and the Royal Family living in a council estate of the new Republic, read 'The Queen and I' and its sequel 'Queen Camilla' by Sue Townsend :wink2:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm...maybe we are talking about different things then. Our unemployment pays 55% of your working wage, to a maximum of $457/week. So if you were earning $40,000/year before you lost your job for example, you would get $423/week. This lasts for about a year and then you would have to go on welfare which is a much different situation and depends on your circumstances.

The welfare system, at least in my part of the country, seems primarily geared toward families with young children. A single adult who can't work receives about $125 per month for rent. :boxed: An apartment anywhere near a city is about $900 per month. To even rent just a bedroom in a house with the kitchen/bathroom/laundry shared with other tenants is still about $400 per month. :doh:

What concerns me most is that the government wants to fine students who have a study delay of a year. It's not a small fine, it's 3000 euros. Also they want to cut the study finance and you won't get any money if you want to do a Master after your bachelor. But on the other hand they do want Holland to get back in the top 5 of knowledge countries. I wonder how they want to do that if they discourage people of studying.

What do you mean by a fine? Higher tuition rates if students want to take a gap year between secondary school and university? Or between years of university? :blink:

I don't know about other countries, but in Canada university-aged people seem to be the most keen to protest things they don't like - I recall being part of a few protests against tuition hikes when I was in school. I think there are two reasons: first, issues like tuition hikes directly and seriously impact students. Secondly, students aren't yet jaded about change. When you're 45 years old and have a family and are struggling to pay your mortgage, I think that's when people throw up their hands and resign themselves to the fact that nothing they can do will effect change.

The cost of post-secondary is a tough one. It's so overwhelming to know that without post-secondary education, employment options are limited; but to get a four-year degree at a decent school (and to feed and house yourself in the process), you can walk away with student loans the size of a small mortgage on a house. It's scary. :blink:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

One of the best things about his columns is you can extrapolate some of his ideas and statements and apply them to new issues and life in general. Like this one:

“What will spark a fire and burn away the complacency which stops people making their discontent heard?”

Such an inspiration :naughty:

One of the best things about his columns is you can extrapolate some of his ideas and statements and apply them to new issues and life in general. Like this one:

“What will spark a fire and burn away the complacency which stops people making their discontent heard?”

Such an inspiration :naughty:

I think I will copy your post and leave it to posterity. :original:

I may even have it framed to admire it every day in my living-room. :teehee:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i've been out and off, bur i asked the newsagent's last thursday (it's out usually on the last thursday of the month) but it was not out yet.

next thursday it's holiday here (the last one of the xmas lot :naughty:) so i don't know what to think....:blink:

anyone checked their websites?

i'll be out and off again since.....NOW! :bye:

i've been out and off, bur i asked the newsagent's last thursday (it's out usually on the last thursday of the month) but it was not out yet.

next thursday it's holiday here (the last one of the xmas lot :naughty:) so i don't know what to think....:blink:

I thought last month's was a double issue, so there wouldn't be one this month? Or am I being blonde again? :blink:

I thought last month's was a double issue, so there wouldn't be one this month? Or am I being blonde again? :blink:

yes, it was (December+January), so next issue will be out end of this month :thumb_yello:

Edited by mari62

yes, it was (December+January), so next issue will be out end of this month :thumb_yello:

But we didn't had a double column last month!!! :sneaky2:

:protest:

:roftl:

Edited by francoise