• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mika with all his passion....

tells Italians off 'cause we do not rebel enough to Mr Berlusconi and his government, and to his poor policy towards Education.

the little part on the right says 'Mika is not detached from actuality'.

loads for discussion, especially for us Italians!

the english version will be online as soon as they can, and surely will. so be patient!

Oh thanks!:thumb_yello:

His last column didn't bring much of a discussion, it was not that interesting!:teehee: Let's see about this one!:wink2:

Italian policy????:aah:

Btw, what is it with those big mountains of garbage on Italian streets we see on the news from time to time?:wink2:

A strike? For how long?

tells Italians off 'cause we do not rebel enough to Mr Berlusconi and his government, and to his poor policy towards Education.

the english version will be online as soon as they can, and surely will. so be patient!

Thank you Robi ;-)

Just bought my copy :biggrin2:

What he says about Italians not protesting's very true, in the 2-and-a-bit years I've lived here I've noticed that there seems to be the belief that no matter what the public does or says it won't change how the country's run. So I guess Italians just don't bother any more. This country could be a lot better than it is, it's not like people don't care, it just seems to me that they don't believe that they have the power to change things. Yes, I know there have been the big student protests recently but they seem to be the exception to the rule.

Strikes, however, are annoyingly common...

Edited by Nezza

Just bought my copy :biggrin2:

What he says about Italians not protesting's very true, in the 2-and-a-bit years I've lived here I've noticed that there seems to be the belief that no matter what the public does or says it won't change how the country's run. So I guess Italians just don't bother any more. This country could be a lot better than it is, it's not like people don't care, it just seems to me that they don't believe that they have the power to change things. Yes, I know there have been the big student protests recently but they seem to be the exception to the rule.

Strikes, however, are annoyingly common...

I couldn't have used better words dear :wink2:

Nice article, interesting topic but so much controversial!

Of course it has tobe writtend at least 1 or 2 weeks ago, and another thing you have to consider information in Italy by media really sucks, so things can happen and you don't know that as in other many countries.

Btw you can see in Italy we are all pissed off but this law riform on instuction/education has just get approoved by the government maybe just 2 weeks before it could fall :mf_rosetinted:

I couldn't have used better words dear :wink2:

Nice article, interesting topic but so much controversial!

Of course it has tobe writtend at least 1 or 2 weeks ago, and another thing you have to consider information in Italy by media really sucks, so things can happen and you don't know that as in other many countries.

Btw you can see in Italy we are all pissed off but this law riform on instuction/education has just get approoved by the government maybe just 2 weeks before it could fall :mf_rosetinted:

It works the other way too, we're in such a bubble when it comes to international news. I'm gutted BBC World News isn't on terrestrial TV now after the analogue switch-off up here, I relied on it for news (not exactly surprising that an unbiased news source has disappeared from TV but there we go...) because Italian news never gives the full picture.

It's funny though, just so typical of Italian politics I think, if Berlusconi loses the vote of confidence and Italy gets a new government, all this would've been for nothing...

It works the other way too, we're in such a bubble when it comes to international news. I'm gutted BBC World News isn't on terrestrial TV now after the analogue switch-off up here, I relied on it for news (not exactly surprising that an unbiased news source has disappeared from TV but there we go...) because Italian news never gives the full picture.

It's funny though, just so typical of Italian politics I think, if Berlusconi loses the vote of confidence and Italy gets a new government, all this would've been for nothing...

Yes BBC is on digital tv now right?

Have to buy it with the new year cause I don't have one in the new house :aah:

I get my news from Ansa wich is still impartial, but you've to look for it!

Italian news then are ridicolous and most of us know that but litteraly you can't do nothing, and if you do you'll pass on the wrong side as the evil one.

This law has been approoved just to show that this government is one who does something and this the 1st real law that it could approove :sneaky2:

And if it'll fell anyway I really doubt that a next one will cancel this law too complicated

So in the most ironic way I can say, we are in troubles peeps! :mf_rosetinted:

Yes BBC is on digital tv now right?

Have to buy it with the new year cause I don't have one in the new house :aah:

I get my news from Ansa wich is still impartial, but you've to look for it!

Italian news then are ridicolous and most of us know that but litteraly you can't do nothing, and if you do you'll pass on the wrong side as the evil one.

This law has been approoved just to show that this government is one who does something and this the 1st real law that it could approove :sneaky2:

And if it'll fell anyway I really doubt that a next one will cancel this law too complicated

So in the most ironic way I can say, we are in troubles peeps! :mf_rosetinted:

It was, but since the switch-off in Lombardia it's disappeared (apparently their contract run out, but like I said before, I'm not surprised it's gone :wink2:).

We are in trouble, that's true. And the saddest thing for me is that the rest of the world is laughing at a country I love.

It was, but since the switch-off in Lombardia it's disappeared (apparently their contract run out, but like I said before, I'm not surprised it's gone :wink2:).

We are in trouble, that's true. And the saddest thing for me is that the rest of the world is laughing at a country I love.

Gosh I didn't know that :shocked::shocked: really how suprising as you said ah?! :boxed:

You can imagine for me that is MY country!

I've to admit we've really lot of problems and also faults if you want but I'll always be Italian no way I can deny it!

Gosh I didn't know that :shocked::shocked: really how suprising as you said ah?! :boxed:

You can imagine for me that is MY country!

I've to admit we've really lot of problems and also faults if you want but I'll always be Italian no way I can deny it!

There's still a French news channel, but my French isn't good enough to rely on that :no: I'll just have to depend on the net, at least I have that :aah:

People think I'm mad to want to stay here, but you've just got to look past the faults. It's not all good, no, but it's not all bad either.

There's still a French news channel, but my French isn't good enough to rely on that :no: I'll just have to depend on the net, at least I have that :aah:

People think I'm mad to want to stay here, but you've just got to look past the faults. It's not all good, no, but it's not all bad either.

Totally right! :thumb_yello:

I still don't have a tv here :aah: so I depend by the net too :naughty:

Thank you Robertina! :flowers2: You rock!:thumb_yello:

What he says about Italians not protesting's very true, in the 2-and-a-bit years I've lived here I've noticed that there seems to be the belief that no matter what the public does or says it won't change how the country's run. So I guess Italians just don't bother any more.

This is a common pattern in any country where corruption rate is high.

Same here, actually. It partly comes from the past that we don't believe in our ability to make things change or that people in power act in public interest instead of self interest.

Actually, our country is now moving towards a kind of dictatorship and I know I can't and won't do anything right now until the majority wake up and realise that they have been conned. :cool:

This is a common pattern in any country where corruption rate is high.

Same here, actually. It partly comes from the past that we don't believe in our ability to make things change or that people in power act in public interest instead of self interest.

Actually, our country is now moving towards a kind of dictatorship and I know I can't and won't do anything right now until the majority wake up and realise that they have been conned. :cool:

In Brazil, same thing....the government is a mess, the taxes are absurd but the majority chooses to keep it quiet 'cause of a few benefits they can manage to get. In the meantime, we keep getting screwed the worst that comes from it...and no one seems to care enought to do something. Like, anything. Not even placing a complaint xp

Anyways....

He won't stop amazing me! Writes so well, loved the article.

Does anyone know when the english version will come online?

Ha, I used to ask the Repubblica guys every month before on their Facebook page but I don't want to annoy them anymore and keep asking this month as well :teehee: It might be out today, tomorrow.. these days for sure.

i guess people not protesting against bad politics is a general thing in the western countries, not just in italy. i don't know what exactly the problem in italy is for the students, but fact is, most of us have a good life - we might not be super happy about everything the politicians do, but as long as it doesn't bother us too much personally and directly, we don't feel the need to do anything about it.

the second problem of course is, that if anything bad happens or is decided by the politicians, the responsible people try to keep it quiet. because a huge protest can only be organized if the topic is all over the news... so they try to avoid that. but when it happens, you'll get more people interested who might not be directly affected but support the topic and then take part in the protests. if something is a big topic in the media, you kinda are forced to have an opinion on it, because it's discussed everywhere. just it takes a LOT of energy by a group of people to start this... and yeah, what's really worth investing this time and energy, when you generelly enjoy a good life, like most of us do? :dunno:

in germany, there were/are 2 big protests recently, that did get a lot of media attention. one is about the transport of nuclear waste, which happens every few months or so. but this time the protests were a lot more, because the gouvernment decided to keep the nuclear power plants in germany running for a longer time. but no one really knows what will happen with the nuclear waste in the long term.

and the second reason for protests is the rebuilding of the stuttgart central station - they're cropping lots of trees and basically are changing the way the heart of the city looks, that's why many locals are protesting against it. the reason why this became such a huge topic in the media all over germany is mainly that the police acted too violently against the protestants, so over 100 people got hurt, also some children. i guess this also was the only reason why the responsible people agreed to talk with the protestants to try and find a compromise. looks now like they won't find one, but well, the protests keep going on...

i must admit that i've never been to a demonstration in my life. although i do support the protestants in these 2 cases. but the problem with protests for me is, that if you just have a normal demonstration, it won't change a thing. if you want to change something, you have to do something extraordinary... and this can get you in a lot of trouble, because it's often illegal - like occupying buildings, for example. getting arrested for doing something like that would hurt me a lot more than the politician's decisions. :dunno:

anyway, can't wait to read mika's opinion about it! :biggrin2:

i guess people not protesting against bad politics is a general thing in the western countries, not just in italy. i don't know what exactly the problem in italy is for the students, but fact is, most of us have a good life - we might not be super happy about everything the politicians do, but as long as it doesn't bother us too much personally and directly, we don't feel the need to do anything about it.

the second problem of course is, that if anything bad happens or is decided by the politicians, the responsible people try to keep it quiet. because a huge protest can only be organized if the topic is all over the news... so they try to avoid that. but when it happens, you'll get more people interested who might not be directly affected but support the topic and then take part in the protests. if something is a big topic in the media, you kinda are forced to have an opinion on it, because it's discussed everywhere. just it takes a LOT of energy by a group of people to start this... and yeah, what's really worth investing this time and energy, when you generelly enjoy a good life, like most of us do? :dunno:

in germany, there were/are 2 big protests recently, that did get a lot of media attention. one is about the transport of nuclear waste, which happens every few months or so. but this time the protests were a lot more, because the gouvernment decided to keep the nuclear power plants in germany running for a longer time. but no one really knows what will happen with the nuclear waste in the long term.

and the second reason for protests is the rebuilding of the stuttgart central station - they're cropping lots of trees and basically are changing the way the heart of the city looks, that's why many locals are protesting against it. the reason why this became such a huge topic in the media all over germany is mainly that the police acted too violently against the protestants, so over 100 people got hurt, also some children. i guess this also was the only reason why the responsible people agreed to talk with the protestants to try and find a compromise. looks now like they won't find one, but well, the protests keep going on...

i must admit that i've never been to a demonstration in my life. although i do support the protestants in these 2 cases. but the problem with protests for me is, that if you just have a normal demonstration, it won't change a thing. if you want to change something, you have to do something extraordinary... and this can get you in a lot of trouble, because it's often illegal - like occupying buildings, for example. getting arrested for doing something like that would hurt me a lot more than the politician's decisions. :dunno:

anyway, can't wait to read mika's opinion about it! :biggrin2:

omg! haven't heard about that

I thought the only crazy people who protested amost every month were us in Venezuela ... in the begining it gave alot of people hope and there were massive protests and the president even left... but only for 2 days:sneaky2:

now no one cares and only us students are protesting and is a very delicate topic in my country weather to protest or not some say it's risking your life for nothing and others say is fighting for a better future

:boxed:

up until now I havent make up my mind about it, both sides are radical and irrational IMO...

I agree with you this kind of protest give no real solution to the problems ..I guess is a way of letting the steam out at least

hahaha it looks like this month issue will be interesting :boing:

now no one cares and only us students are protesting and is a very delicate topic in my country weather to protest or not some say it's risking your life for nothing and others say is fighting for a better future

:boxed:

yeah, it's always a question of what you gain and what you risk by protesting. i was just thinking when i read that, that during the 3rd Reich in germany, i probably also wouldn't have protested, as it'd have cost me my life. :boxed: those who did protest back then, like sophie scholl, are heroes now and have a place in the history books, because there were only few who dared to protest against the nazis. but it cost them their lifes. they did set a sign, but in the end it took several armies to stop the nazis. it's shocking to think that if enough people had protested early enough, it wouldn't even have come that far. but then, anyone who has read the book "the wave" by morton rhue knows that it isn't really that surprising that most people didn't protest... (btw, interesting read, i can highly recommend it :wink2:)

i guess the reasons why people do or don't protest, and in what situations, can fill several psychology books. :dunno:

Edited by mellody

yeah, it's always a question of what you gain and what you risk by protesting. i was just thinking when i read that, that during the 3rd Reich in germany, i probably also wouldn't have protested, as it'd have cost me my life. :boxed: those who did protest back then, like sophie scholl, are heroes now and have a place in the history books, because there were only few who dared to protest against the nazis. but it cost them their lifes. they did set a sign, but in the end it took several armies to stop the nazis. it's shocking to think that if enough people had protested early enough, it wouldn't even have come that far. but then, anyone who has read the book "the wave" by morton rhue knows that it isn't really that surprising that most people didn't protest... (btw, interesting read, i can highly recommend it :wink2:)

i guess the reasons why people do or don't protest, and in what situations, can fill several psychology books. :dunno:

Interesting, and yes I agree!:thumb_yello: