• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

after his lyrics to rain in london,maybe he´s written a pronoun here... maybe the boy wants to share something with us :mf_rosetinted:

Awww, his lyrics in London sounded perfectly natural, I didn't even notice anything different :teehee:

Yes, we just need to wait the original column :wink2:

Awww, his lyrics in London sounded perfectly natural, I didn't even notice anything different :teehee:

Yes, we just need to wait the original column :wink2:

what were the lyrics you talk about? :biggrin2:

well, the normal Rain lyrics are perfectly normal, "the man you wanted" is actually him :wink2:

Yus, you can haz!

Ok, so adding to what Robi said, this article deals with friendships and relationships in the age of Facebook. He starts off by saying how he went out with someone when he was 22, not long after having signed his first record deal, after they contacted him through his Myspace. They only went out for a couple of weeks, the other person saying that's how online dating worked, but he wasn't aware of that, and he didn't like that at all.

Then he goes on to say that online dating's become normal. He writes about a couple he saw who'd met in a queue in a café, the boy asked the girl if she was on Facebook, because he wanted to see her again, but she said no, that she preferred reality.

That's the thing about the internet, he says, it gives you the opportunity to contact people you wouldn't, or wouldn't have the courage to speak to in real life. Online you can dig through a person's past, and get to know them bit by bit, through photos for example. He admires people who shun this kind of contact, and wonders how they do it. A female friend of his, who amusingly only wants to meet rich men, says that the internet can break down social barriers such as the economic or professional background of a person. You can know a lot of things about a person before you meet them, which changes the dynamics of a relationship, something he didn't understand before.

He finishes by saying that the internet is part of our reality, and that the girl in the café had got it wrong, in reality she was saying that she didn't like the boy, it was a way of making him feel stupid.

Thanks again Nezza :flowers2: And of course Robi for posting it.:biggrin2:

I can only say that I completely get his point.:thumb_yello:

Personally I wasn't ever involved in the romantic relationship with someone via internet, but became a pan pal and know how intense it could be.

:wink2:

Edited by Shine

don´t forget he writes it in english,robertina... he needs to use a pronoun :fisch:

As far as I know he mostly uses the pronoun "they" in English.:aah:

Maybe this time it was different but I doubt...We'll see soon :biggrin2:

Edited by Shine

[English teacher mode]

like I said, 'man' can also mean 'person' in English :biggrin2:[/English teacher mode]

I really like the topic. can't wait to see the original, I think I might even use it in class, could be interesting to hear what teenagers think about online dating :) they're anyway all the time on FB :wink2:

He probably just used the pronoun "they" since it's so vague. :rolls_eyes:

Yes I'm sure that's exactly what he wrote. He is way too coy for "he" or "she" :naughty:

could be lapsus lingue... :wink2: still... :naughty:

also, in English 'man' can mean also 'person', and therefore is neutral enough

No not in the context of a song about love/breakups. Man means guy. :fisch:

Pretty shocking topic, waiting for the original too even if I'm italian I want his original words mispelled or not :mf_rosetinted:

Gettin this pause in my studying period for university exams, I always stop thinking how much this guy gives me to work on every single words he say, unbelievable! (I'm studying psycology indeed! :mf_rosetinted:)

Anyway answering to Faballa I guess this is not his last column, cause it's true Repubblica was searching another columnist but from this month Carmen Consoli (italian singer) has no longer is column and they got another new columnist from Subsonica (another italian band). :thumb_yello:

Edited by FralovesMika

This article turns out to be much more hilarious than I thought it would be...:naughty:

"For a year I didn't go out with anyone. But one evening I found I had a friend on my my space page."

I was wondering if it might have been Tom..:teehee:

tom.jpg

but nothing else would fit the rhyme nor rhythm of the song... :dunno:

thought I found a woman I wanted..

thought I found a person I wanted...

thought I found a girl I wanted... sounds like RNB :roftl:

He could have said "one" :wink2: He actually uses man/one interchangeably in The Only Lonely One.

but nothing else would fit the rhyme nor rhythm of the song... :dunno:

thought I found a woman I wanted..

thought I found a person I wanted...

thought I found a girl I wanted... sounds like RNB :roftl:

:blink:

you don't adjust what you say according to what rhymes but you choose your words so that they both fit the content as well as rhyme. Otherwise all poetry would be nonsensical jibbery.

:blink:

you don't adjust what you say according to what rhymes but you choose your words so that they both fit the content as well as rhyme. Otherwise all poetry would be nonsensical jibbery.

yeah, well, tell it to the guy whose lyrics I edit and keep saying him exactly the same for three years now :thumb_yello:

I mean, it SHOULD be like that, but when a songwriter has to choose between the meaning and the rhyme, often the meaning looses the fight. to be honest, I have no idea what Mika wanted to say, maybe he was talking about a male person, maybe he just mixed up his lyrics again, bottom line is, it doesn't matter :thumb_yello:

I was just stating the fact that language is a living thing and just like any living thing, it's full of strange and wonderful things and if you know how to use it, it can be both a powerful tool or a magnificent toy :wink2:

to be honest, I have no idea what Mika wanted to say, maybe he was talking about a male person, maybe he just mixed up his lyrics again, bottom line is, it doesn't matter :thumb_yello:

We are all assuming he mixed up his lyrics, but are joking at the idea that it was not entirely accidental but more of a Freudian slip.

yeah, well, tell it to the guy whose lyrics I edit and keep saying him exactly the same for three years now :thumb_yello:

I mean, it SHOULD be like that, but when a songwriter has to choose between the meaning and the rhyme, often the meaning looses the fight. to be honest, I have no idea what Mika wanted to say, maybe he was talking about a male person, maybe he just mixed up his lyrics again, bottom line is, it doesn't matter :thumb_yello:

I was just stating the fact that language is a living thing and just like any living thing, it's full of strange and wonderful things and if you know how to use it, it can be both a powerful tool or a magnificent toy :wink2:

Lyrics in the pop or rock music are quite different from the poetry as a genre and songwriters mostly adjust they lines to the rhyme principle. Sometimes you can find exactly the same in so called prominent poetry, but it's a sign of a bad taste.

It works in the pop music though, and can sound pretty lame. Not in the Mika case I mean.