Goldling :bleh:

It's interesting though, and he talks about the internet affects friendships, in the sense that it gives you an opportunity to talk and connect to people in a way that you wouldn't in real life. You can contact people you wouldn't have the guts to speak to in real life.

True!:biggrin2:

Yus, you can haz!

Ok, so adding to what Robi said, this article deals with friendships and relationships in the age of Facebook. He starts off by saying how he went out with someone when he was 22, not long after having signed his first record deal, after they contacted him through his Myspace. They only went out for a couple of weeks, the other person saying that's how online dating worked, but he wasn't aware of that, and he didn't like that at all.

Then he goes on to say that online dating's become normal. He writes about a couple he saw who'd met in a queue in a café, the boy asked the girl if she was on Facebook, because he wanted to see her again, but she said no, that she preferred reality.

That's the thing about the internet, he says, it gives you the opportunity to contact people you wouldn't, or wouldn't have the courage to speak to in real life. Online you can dig through a person's past, and get to know them bit by bit, through photos for example. He admires people who shun this kind of contact, and wonders how they do it. A female friend of his, who amusingly only wants to meet rich men, says that the internet can break down social barriers such as the economic or professional background of a person. You can know a lot of things about a person before you meet them, which changes the dynamics of a relationship, something he didn't understand before.

He finishes by saying that the internet is part of our reality, and that the girl in the café had got it wrong, in reality she was saying that she didn't like the boy, it was a way of making him feel stupid.

It is true. On the internet you dare to do more things than you do in real life.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This article turns out to be much more hilarious than I thought it would be...:naughty:

I was wondering if it might have been Tom..:teehee:

tom.jpg

Mwahahahahahaha:roftl:

I should've known Mika was that easy back in the days, I would've send him a message...

Oh no wait, I was still underaged. That is even illegal on MySpace:naughty:

well, I am pleased to read the meaningful insights into language viewed as a 'living thing' but as for the version of Rain I heard at the private gig, I am with Christine on the 'Freudian slip' theory :roftl:

Well there are only three possibilities. True accident, subconscious slip or these are the intended lyrics and are referring to a man. He also uses the word "him" so there is no chance he was speaking of a person in general. Man/him is male. End of story. :dunno:

It is true. On the internet you dare to do more things than you do in real life.

Actually since there is a written record I chose my words a lot more carefully on the internet. :naughty:

No not in the context of a song about love/breakups. Man means guy. :fisch:

I always thought that the "man" in "thought you found the man you wanted" was meant to be about the person Mika is singing the song to, i.e. "You thought you found the perfect man in me, Mika, but then you changed me."

I never thought it was Mika writing about himself. :dunno:

Well there are only three possibilities. True accident, subconscious slip or these are the intended lyrics and are referring to a man. He also uses the word "him" so there is no chance he was speaking of a person in general. Man/him is male. End of story. :dunno:

Actually since there is a written record I chose my words a lot more carefully on the internet. :naughty:

We can't know for sure. But the third option or a combination of the second and third sounds just natural to me. I know he sometimes (um, quite often :wub2:) forgets his lyrics but would he really accidentally change the meaning of his own lyrics...? Just because it goes with the melody? :teehee:

I always thought that the "man" in "thought you found the man you wanted" was meant to be about the person Mika is singing the song to, i.e. "You thought you found the perfect man in me, Mika, but then you changed me."

I never thought it was Mika writing about himself. :dunno:

Yes, but this was in the official lyrics?

I just listened to the song and it says "You thought you found the man you wanted 'til you turned him into something new." :wink2:

Yes, and he changed the object in London :teehee: I didn't even notice it during the gig, only later while watching the vids.

OMG! Mika is sharing so much more of himself these days! I can't wait for the new article in English, but thanks for the first translations and the summing up.

Internet dating is a minefield and people need to be so careful.

I'm so sad about his experience, in fact there are tears in my eyes!! God bless him, I do so hope he finds the love of his life soon.

We don't know for sure he's sharing true facts about himself :naughty:. The blue catsuit story, for example. He probably had written the January column well before the new year :naughty:.

As much as the internet facilitates creating relationships it may also doom them well in advance. If you have too much information on people before you actually meet them and get to learn them, you create an image of them which may not correspond to reality. And the rest is said in Rain :wink2:

As for the sudden surprise in the magic number version of Rain, maybe he was simply daydreaming and let his heart speak :naughty:

Well there are only three possibilities. True accident, subconscious slip or these are the intended lyrics and are referring to a man.
We can't know for sure. But the third option or a combination of the second and third sounds just natural to me.

I was about to reply to Christine that the fourth option is the combination of the 2nd and 3rd...(i.e. subconscious slip of the lyrics he wrote originally) :teehee:

I actually don't, but then again, in real life I also say things I later regret:roftl:

You can avoid this by not posting under your own name. :biggrin2:

Well, "di cui fosse" could also probably translate in "who that was"...What do you think, Italian MFCers?

Considering I'm a French girl translating Italian into English with my intuition and google transaltors' help (while cooking and looking after two babies :insane:), my translation might not be the best :teehee:

Being a girl I guess "he" came to my mind when I was translating, so I'm sure it's best to wait for the English version...:dunno:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

I just listened to the song and it says "You thought you found the man you wanted 'til you turned him into something new." :wink2:

Yes, and he changed the object in London :teehee: I didn't even notice it during the gig, only later while watching the vids.

Yes he changed it to "I thought I found the man I wanted till I turned him into something new."

About 1:35

[YOUTUBE]VyT4_ZVtik0[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for the summary, this one sounds so interesting, I can't wait for the original!!

I have many online friends, and two of them are now going out and it seems to be going very well, so I think this is a great topic (as I'm very passionate about it :biggrin2:) :thumb_yello: