Interview with Mika's A&R

MartelloMan

If you're interested in what goes behind scenes at camp Mika then I'd recommend this recent interview with his A&R at Island, Louis Bloom, for the industry publication HitQuarters. He talks about loads of artists that he's responsible for (Mumford & Sons, Keane, Frankmusik ...) but there's a couple of sections on Mika. Here it is:

Louis Bloom interview

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers BiaIchihara and tiibet - pleased it's appreciated.

I've just noticed the website also features various other Mika-related interviews in its archives, such as with his manager Iain Watt, his then boss at Island Nick Gatfield and his producer and co-writer Greg Wells, who says:

"Mika is the ideal artist, he just tells his own story so confidently and uniquely. I like the element of surprise, I like the juxtaposition of ideas. I like that the music sounds happy but the subject matter is actually pretty f*cked up."

Nice!

I've just noticed the website also features various other Mika-related interviews in its archives, such as with his manager Iain Watt, his then boss at Island Nick Gatfield and his producer and co-writer Greg Wells, who says:

"Mika is the ideal artist, he just tells his own story so confidently and uniquely. I like the element of surprise, I like the juxtaposition of ideas. I like that the music sounds happy but the subject matter is actually pretty f*cked up."

Nice!

Indeed :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Very interesting thank you!!!!

"There is a select group of people we have suggested that will complement Mika – more tracking than anything as Mika’s own melodies are incredible. "

Great to know:wub2:

Thank you for these links :flowers2:

So, to sum up this latest article, Mika is getting help to put his melodies in a contemporary format and he is working with several producers to find the sound he needs.

I have already read the interviews Iain Watt and Greg Wells but this recent one and the one with Nick Gatfield is new to me. However, I think I remember someone mentioning that originally LICM was to be produced by Trevor Horn or maybe I'm just imagining it..(?) In any case, I'm not surprised it didn't happen. Mika obviously had a particular vision in his mind and Trevor Horn another - there is no way it would have been as unique as LICM turned out to be.:wub2:

Trevor Horn works better for less control freak artists :teehee:

Nice!

:lmfao: Yes, I think that's what a lot of us love about Mika. :)

Thanks for sharing this article -- always interesting to get a peek behind the

scenes. :thumb_yello:

And welcome to MFC! :welcomeani:

I think I remember someone mentioning that originally LICM was to be produced by Trevor Horn or maybe I'm just imagining it..(?) In any case, I'm not surprised it didn't happen. Mika obviously had a particular vision in his mind and Trevor Horn another - there is no way it would have been as unique as LICM turned out to be.:wub2:

Trevor Horn works better for less control freak artists :teehee:

You're not imagining it, Gatfield says that they originally set him up with Trevor Horn but that it didn't happen for undisclosed reasons. It would just never have got off the ground. As you say, there's just no way the strong artistic visions of Mika and Horn could have co-existed on one record with any kind of harmony! Greg Wells is a much more sympathetic collaborator who doesn't seem to impose himself on the records he works on.

Very interesting. Sounds like the writers are just helping him flesh out his demos for recording.

Thanks for posting :flowers2:

I love the way the guy said "Only with the tracking, because Mika's melodies are incredible!"

The sweet guy and how right he is!

I'm so excited now! T4P

ohhhhhhhhhh something new and interesting to read!!! :yay:

It's interesting to read about the business side behind album making, I mean I love reading the creative process, of course, but we have only rare opportunities to read or hear the other side, and music business (as film making business etc) is so very different than any other industry indeed.

And I love it how Nick Gatfield had said "There is a real intelligence about him. Every great artist has to have intelligence. That's a thing that really immediately appealed with him." That's the first word I would describe Mika and it's something that makes him so fascinating. (It was an old interview, but I can't remember seeing it).

That's a really good read; thanks for posting. :thumb_yello:

It's good to read something like that when I've just been musing on the Album #3 thread about the various collaboration hints and rumours.

Yes, it's so good to get something tangiable at last!

:bow:Thank you so much for posting this! is exciting to now more about the new album :wub2::wub2:

"he only ones I work with at the moment are Mika and McFly. For the first time we have been putting Mika with writers. He is working with Klas Åhlund, who did the Robyn record in Sweden"

oooooh he'll forget the lyrics:roftl::roftl::roftl:

Archived