REPORTS/PICTURES/VIDEOS - Mika in HUNGARY for the Balaton Sound Festival, 8 July 2011

guylainem123

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's Nina with the pro cam I'm looking forward to her pics even more than I already did. :biggrin2:

It's good to see him on a stage again. :wub2:

I like the hair, too. It makes him look a bit like a puppy, though. But I like it. And yes, white is totally his colour.

Did he play anything new?

white on tanned skin is pretty amazing. But there is something different about him. More confidence? Revitalized, I don,t know but it,s definitely good:wub2:

white on tanned skin is pretty amazing. But there is something different about him. More confidence? Revitalized, I don,t know but it,s definitely good:wub2:

I think that the last time we saw him, at the end of his tour, he was really tired. I also find something "new" in him... he "moves" like.... how to say... "more" :aah:

(thanks english language for helping me :mf_rosetinted:)

I think he looks healthier because he's put some weight back on again. He's been way too skinny the past couple of years IMO. These pics remind me of the festivals in 2007 and 2008 when he was at his prime.

I think that the last time we saw him, at the end of his tour, he was really tired. I also find something "new" in him... he "moves" like.... how to say... "more" :aah:

I noticed that too... he's more....mmmm....more elastic :teehee:

but...Warsaw was his last performance and he looked and behaved like he was starting a new tour not ending one. And after Warsaw there were a few gigs but it was you know after ..what we all know happened.

I also find him even more charismatic and stronger (I only watched videos from Romania...)-I wrote that somewhere else...He was always brilliant but now...what happened definately made him stronger (in my eyes anyway) that's good. all the best to him

but...Warsaw was his last performance and he looked and behaved like he was starting a new tour not ending one. And after Warsaw there were a few gigs but it was you know after ..what we all know happened.

I also find him even more charismatic and stronger (I only watched videos from Romania...)-I wrote that somewhere else...He was always brilliant but now...what happened definately made him stronger (in my eyes anyway) that's good. all the best to him

You don't have to avoid saying it. avoiding saying it won't change what happened.

You don't have to avoid saying it. avoiding saying it won't change what happened.

I don't have to but I want to. I don't need to say something that is obvious. that's boring. Besides, I believe in the power of words. AND I try to be delicate with words when I want to:wink2:

ps. and obviously I don't know everything what happened in his life so I have to be not very specific...

Edited by Melisanda

here are some pictures taken by me :) I'll upload some videos later. :)

The show was amazing :biggrin2:

They look amazing! However, it seems like the distance between the public and the stage was quite big.. Anyway, can't wait for the videos! :wub2:

Finally I have time to write a short gig report. I will try to write about everything relevant but I am still sleep deprived, so I may need to come back to add further details.

I had mixed feelings about going to this festival for several reasons and it only intensified in the last couple of days but I left the gig reassured in my Mika fandom :wub2:

I am not sure if everyone is aware that this festival is aimed at a young audience who love electronic / dance music and partying (I hinted this earlier in the first thread so it can’t have come as a surprise to anyone, anyway), so I was slightly concerned about the reaction Mika would get. Friday was a particularly odd day as the music acts consisted of a Hungarian ska-jazz-reggae band, the rapper Big Boi (:dunno: ) from Outcast, Mika, who is basically considered to be a cute pop star for teenagers with a clean-cut image but an annoying falsetto, and Portishead, who is totally unknown by these young people, I guess. In comparison, the night before was headlined by Tiësto ( a Dutch DJ) and the next couple of days will see acts like David Guetta, Underworld and the Stereo MCs. Also, several of us were reminded by the staff how Friday was not meant to be a popular day.:shocked:. It’s not that it deterred us – we planned to make it memorable in any case :shun:

It was a rather hot day yesterday and we started to gather by the stage at around noon as that was the only place where we could sit in the shade and be near. Actually, I think it was less weird to wait there than sit on the beach in t-shirts while everyone else was in their beachwear (i.e. girls in bikinis, guys half naked ...etc.)

When the program began at 5pm it was still around 30 degrees Celsius and no longer shade, so only the adventurous went to check out some Hungarian folk music influenced ska / reggae band on the main stage. The band was pretty good though and the audience liked them. After their show the audience disappeared however,:shocked: and we almost panicked... What if Mika needs to perform in front of 30 people only? :aah: We still had one more act before him, though: the rapper Big Boi from Outcast – the latter I first heard of in the early 90s. Surprisingly enough, many youngsters knew the lyrics to his new and old songs, too. Tiibet and I had a long conversation with a really nice guy who came to see BB, discussing some rappers including Mika’s new chum Pharrell Williams (:teehee: ), as well as Mika, and he eventually decided to stay for the gig to record the show for tiibet so that she could take pictures with her other camera. :teehee:

Anyway, when BB finished the crowd, instead of disappearing again for drinks, started to push us a bit and it was a really good sign. :biggrin2: There was no violent pushing of any sort (unlike at most gigs and all festivals), but a kind of anxious wait for the next performer could definitely be felt. :blush_anim: By the time Mika was about to get on stage, there were already lots of fans around and cheering for him.

And then he appeared for Relax, looking really contented, not tired at all. It was a good sign, for sure. One of the girls standing behind us made a remark in Hungarian: „OMG How can he look sooooo good?” :roftl: During the first three songs there were tons of photographers around and they did bother me a lot, but it is part of the routine, I shouldn’t complain. Mika was in a really good form, you could feel it right from the beginning and the crowd was really supportive of him – something I would have never imagined before. In fact, we earlier thought we might need to shake up the audience a bit with some special effect, so we decided to bring some bubble blowers. The idea did work, even though it was only a few of us with the device and all on the right hand side of the stage. The most important thing was, however, that the Hungarian audience did really well on Happy Ending – with or without the bubbles. Basically, when they heard the first chord of the song they sang the whole chorus. :wub2: It felt like such a genuine reaction of an audience to a song and I was really pleased to experience that in my country. Although the songs from LICM are often heard in films and tv programmes here (just hardly ever on the radio), Mika is not well-known in Hungary, so I was surprised how these younglings were so much into this song… I can absolutely see where it is coming from though: Happy Ending was always played as the last song of X-factor last autumn/winter and although many people may not even know it is Mika singing it, they know and love the song itself.

Anyway, the crowd did well on other songs, too, and so did Mika. I really liked Kick Ass, for example, and also the new version of Rain. I liked the mix on the previous tour, too, but in this one you can actually hear the raindrops and it pleases me. :pinkbow: I think he planned to sing EMD, too, as we heard bits from it at the soundcheck, but it was either that he was running late a bit or that he decided the audience was worthy of singing Happy Birthday to Paloma that made him change the setlist (there were signs of a change being communicated on stage). Never mind, I loved the show the way it was and I consider it as a beautiful ending of the album 1+2 era. I am not going to any more festivals this year but will be eagerly awaiting the next album and tour: new songs and old songs in new arrangements…etc. There is no reason for me to worry about his future at the moment. He has got what it takes.

The big girls did a really good job! Anyone we know?

I think most of them were MFCers.

I know Zsina was definitely there, perhaps together with her friend. Also Betti and Reni (also MFCers), and 3 MFCers from Serbia. I am sure they will post their reports.

PS: I will write about the "m&g" later.

HUNGARY!

Thank you for using these colours! :flowers2:

Edited by suzie

And then he appeared for Relax, looking really contented, not tired at all. It was a good sign, for sure. One of the girls standing behind us made a remark in Hungarian: „OMG How can he look sooooo good?” :roftl:During the first three songs there were tons of photographers around and they did bother me a lot, but it is part of the routine, I shouldn’t complain. Mika was in a really good form, you could feel it right from the beginning and the crowd was really supportive of him – something I would have never imagined before. In fact, we earlier thought we might need to shake up the audience a bit with some special effect, so we decided to bring some bubble blowers. The idea did work, even though it was only a few of us with the device and all on the right hand side of the stage. The most important thing was, however, that the Hungarian audience did really well on Happy Ending – with or without the bubbles. Basically, when they heard the first chord of the song they sang the whole chorus. :wub2: It felt like such a genuine reaction of an audience to a song and I was really pleased to experience that in my country. Although the songs from LICM are often heard in films and tv programmes here (just hardly ever on the radio), Mika is not well-known in Hungary, so I was surprised how these younglings were so much into this song… I can absolutely see where it is coming from though: Happy Ending was always played as the last song of X-factor last autumn/winter and although many people may not even know it is Mika singing it, they know and love the song itself.

OH YES, I know what you're saying when it comes to gig photographers. They kind of pissed me off at the B'estfest gig just because they were all over the place and sitting in the front row got even worse than sitting in the back of the audience with all of them around :roftl: No, but really.

Thank you for the report, you did a great job and you were fast after one night of dancing and jumping around :biggrin2: !!

PS, take your time and write about the M&G whenever you feel like doing it! I'm really curious how that went though.