REPORTS/PHOTOS/VIDEOS - Mika @ Paléo festival, Switzerland - July 23, 2011

guylainem123

Thank you Nanou!

about BIOTW: it's not Ida's voice which does not fit, it's Mika's IMO!

that song is made for a great woman singer to sing, it's wide and melodic...perfect for a voice like Ida's...maybe she should just sing it ALONE.

With Mika on the piano accompanying her :thumb_yello:

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just watched the complete video...one of the drunk boys I mentioned in my report can be seen at 1.05.10...he was about to collapse over me....damned! :sneaky2:

anyway, it's good to have the recording of the gig you went to...you can taste what you missed! :aah:indeed

and some sounds come out very good! I loved Martin's digressions and Mika changing tune from now and then...very enjoyable. I wish he could keep the violins too!

I especially loved Ida, her voice is beautiful and helps Mika and Imma a lot. I hope she will stay with him on stage forever :wub2:

BIOTW is made for her...if she added this track to an album of hers, I would have nothing to say :naughty: ...it's sort of Celine Dion stuff, don't you think? :teehee:Totally agree

so...well done Mika...I guess I witnessed a very good gig, after all!

I will watch this gig tonight, after work. It is very frustrating to have the link but not be able to watch it :aah:

Thank you Nanou!

that song is made for a great woman singer to sing, it's wide and melodic...perfect for a voice like Ida's...maybe she should just sing it ALONE.

With Mika on the piano accompanying her :thumb_yello:

I think this is the type of song that would fit Andrea Bocelli perfectly and become a hit across Europe. I still wouldn't like it but at least the song would find the audience it needs.

I think this is the type of song that would fit Andrea Bocelli perfectly and become a hit across Europe. I still wouldn't like it but at least the song would find the audience it needs.

I agree although with Mika's vocal skills I can't believe he couldn't sing it that way if he wanted to. That said I don't think fans of Love Today and Grace Kelly are the audience for that type of song anyway.

I agree although with Mika's vocal skills I can't believe he couldn't sing it that way if he wanted to.

I meant mainly Mika's image being so 'off' with this song.

As for his voice fitting or not, Mika could sing it fine on record but he clearly has a problem singing it in tune live. :dunno:

That said I don't think fans of Love Today and Grace Kelly are the audience for that type of song anyway.

yes, that is what I meant originally. It is not only the songs he sang before because he did write and perform Over My Shoulder, too, which is totally him and I love it. It's the cheesiness of the lyrics and the old-fashioned arrangement that make it sound so unlike him.

I meant mainly Mika's image being so 'off' with this song.

As for his voice fitting or not, Mika could sing it fine on record but he clearly has a problem singing it in tune live. :dunno:

yes, that is what I meant originally. It is not only the songs he sang before because he did write and perform Over My Shoulder, too, which is totally him and I love it. It's the cheesiness of the lyrics and the old-fashioned arrangement that make it sound so unlike him.

Does anyone know, did he record it with Ida, or he´s just performing it with her? :blink:

*joins in the BIOTW discussion completely uninvited*

Honestly, I really like the song. So much that I can't listen to it because it'll just fill my head for days if I do. It's cheesier than gorgonzola, and had I read the lyrics before I'd heard it live, I would have deemed it to be a load of old sh*t

However, seeing as it was kind of thrown upon us unexpectedly (I mean, I knew we were getting 'new' songs but didn't know exactly what) he just caught me off guard when my cynicism hat was in the wash.

Ida sounds beautiful on it - the cheer she got in Belgium was immense, and Mika even commented on it after at the M&G. The song is perfect for her voice.

Mika on the other hand...well, we all know he's got a fantastic voice, but when you put him up against Ida like that, she nails it and he's...well, he sounds good, he'd sound great if he was singing it all on his own, but Ida is the one who has the 'f*ck yeah' factor on that song and it kind of overshadows him a little.

But I do still adore it. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, like Clueless. I'd never tell my film teacher that that's one of my favourite films, but I get this stupid grin on my face whenever I watch it.

Also, Ingie and I became mildly obsessed with the way Mika says 'lover' in it, so that may or may not have left me a little biased. :mf_rosetinted:

*leaves again*

I would totally neglect it then...not my cup of tea AT ALL! :aah:

this song may have the chance of my attention only because it's Mika's...

or maybe he can write such songs and SELL them to other intepreters, as he did in the past. he can write any kind of music actually, it's his career (how generous of me :naughty:)...but please Mika, keep the best ones for yourself and sell the others!!! :mf_rosetinted:

his situation was really difficult as everyone there was waiting for him to say a few words about her…and a lot of people would have been quite disappointed if he had not said a few words about that actually…

Therefore, I have not been really surprised when I saw him arriving and sitting with a really sad face at the piano… the atmosphere was really heavy…and I think he couldn’t have done better than simply dedicating his show to Amy…

yes, he made the right decision. It was really appropriate to do so.

The first song was a real disaster on a musical point of view… I mean, he made so many mistakes and his voice was so weak and hesitant… but on an emotional point of view, it’s probably the best version of French GK that I’ve ever heard! He was almost apologising for being there at first… very hesitant, timid, etc… but I guess he quite quickly realised the entire audience was with him on that night! Tbh, I’ve never experienced such an amazing interaction between him and an audience before… It was almost as if each of them were trying to comfort the other… it’s difficult to explain, but this show was really the most amazing I’ve ever seen on an emotional point of view. People at Paléo clearly show from the very beginning that they were all WITH him and not only watching him. I’ve felt so strongly so many different emotions during this gig it was amazing, I don’t think I’ve ever experienced this so strongly before… It is really difficult to describe, but it was really as if the audience, Mika and his band were only one person in the end, which emphasized every emotion each song was building.

Thank you so much for your lovely report, Nanou. That's also what I imagined must have been happening. I could partially feel it from the video but of course the live experience must have been much more different. It was a sad day but perhaps an elevating one, too. I don't think Mika realises that he can feed the audience from his hand without much effort. He has what it takes to do it. He simply needs to be honest - no costumes or anything extra is needed to achieve that.

Edited by suzie

Does anyone know, did he record it with Ida, or he´s just performing it with her? :blink:

Luke asked Ida after Belgium if she was singing it on the album and she just smirked and said 'We'll see'.

So yes. Yes, she is singing it on the album. (Unless she's laying a false trail, the devious little creature.)

Thanks everyone for reports...

@Miss Roxy: he will end up to do not record anything if it continues like that... honestly I don't see the buzz with this song singing by him and Ida... if you have better suggestion to write songs and make a better duet then do your songs by yourself -

Sorry girls to sound a little bit rude but again that will not be the only song in this record so give him a little bit of time and credit, the all songs in his third album will sounds perfect together...

Luke asked Ida after Belgium if she was singing it on the album and she just smirked and said 'We'll see'.

So yes. Yes, she is singing it on the album. (Unless she's laying a false trail, the devious little creature.)

Maybe it´s not recorded yet :dunno:

Thanks everyone for reports...

@Miss Roxy: he will end up to do not record anything if it continues like that... honestly I don't see the buzz with this song singing by him and Ida... if you have better suggestion to write songs and make a better duet then do your songs by yourself -

Sorry girls to sound a little bit rude but again that will not be the only song in this record so give him a little bit of time and credit, the all songs in his third album will sounds perfect together...

Oh come on, I like the song, I just think their voices don´t fit together! Ida is very good singer, so does Mika, but this song seems to me like Ida shines that much, that Mika´s hardly visible. Even if I think that Mika´s voice sounds prettier in the song. it´s nothing against Ida, it´s against that combination. I wouldn´t like the combination of Mika and Rihanna as well, even when I love them both.

Edited by Miss.roxy

Honestly, I really like the song. So much that I can't listen to it because it'll just fill my head for days if I do.

To be honest, my head it absolutely full of this song, I sometimes wake up to the melody...:blink: (:naughty:).

It is a GREAT tune but

a, it is totally cheesy

b, it is in complete contradiction with Mika's image and personality

c, Mika's and Ida's voices do not fit

d, Mika cannot sing it properly.

However, if lyrics are re-written and the song gets a different arrangement, making it all gloomy to kind of offset the extremely sweet and catchy melody, it could work - with pop singers (i.e no Ida.)

maybe he can write such songs and SELL them to other intepreters, as he did in the past.

How about Ida and Andrea Bocelli then :roftl:

I must say I'd hate it like I can't stand Time to Say Goodbye, either.:naughty:

To be honest, my head it absolutely full of this song, I sometimes wake up to the melody...:blink: (:naughty:).

It is a GREAT tune but

a, it is totally cheesy

b, it is in complete contradiction with Mika's image and personality

c, Mika's and Ida's voices do not fit

d, Mika cannot sing it properly.

However, if lyrics are re-written and the song gets a different arrangement, making it all gloomy to kind of offset the extremely sweet and catchy melody, it could work - with pop singers (i.e no Ida.)

So, basically, if it was a completely different song sung by completely different people it would be perfect? :naughty:

Considering the smirk she had on her face, I would say yes.

Maybe it´s not recorded yet :dunno:

Oh come on, I like the song, I just think their voices don´t fit together! Ida is very good singer, so does Mika, but this song seems to me like Ida shines that much, that Mika´s hardly visible. Even if I think that Mika´s voice sounds prettier in the song. it´s nothing against Ida, it´s against that combination. I wouldn´t like the combination of Mika and Rihanna as well, even when I love them both.

It doesn't hurt Mika to be outshone by others now and then. And since he always smiles when the audience cheers for her, I doubt he cares.

And remember, we all know what happened to Rain!

Yeah, he'll probably put a dance beat to BIOTW and have Kanye West featured on a remix.

I get this itch

When I'm not with ma b*tch

And when the rain is pouring

And the skies are falling

I'm like yo shawtie!

Let's get nawtie.

Joaquin Phoenix better move over, we've got a new white rapper on the scene, and she smokinnnnn.

Yeah, he'll probably put a dance beat to BIOTW and have Kanye West featured on a remix.

I get this itch

When I'm not with ma b*tch

And when the rain is pouring

And the skies are falling

I'm like yo shawtie!

Let's get nawtie.

Joaquin Phoenix better move over, we've got a new white rapper on the scene, and she smokinnnnn.

Mwahaha! ET the second then?

Mwahaha! ET the second then?

Better than ET - my rhymes are far more sophisticated than 'Mars', 'Cars' and 'Bars'.

Though I'm not quite in Snoop's league - I'm yet to find a rhyme as good as 'all up awn ya' and 'California'.

Better than ET - my rhymes are far more sophisticated than 'Mars', 'Cars' and 'Bars'.

Though I'm not quite in Snoop's league - I'm yet to find a rhyme as good as 'all up awn ya' and 'California'.[/QUOTE]

Georgia?

in a very mika trend :mf_rosetinted:

Though I'm not quite in Snoop's league - I'm yet to find a rhyme as good as 'all up awn ya' and 'California'.

Georgia?

in a very mika trend :mf_rosetinted:

Noooo, Robi, you misunderstand. Snoop rhymed 'all up awn ya' with 'California' in California Gurls and it might just be the best rhyme I've ever heard in my life.

Noooo, Robi, you misunderstand. Snoop rhymed 'all up awn ya' with 'California' in California Gurls and it might just be the best rhyme I've ever heard in my life.

mwahahahaha i'm so out of the loop of snoop! :roftl:

So, basically, if it was a completely different song sung by completely different people it would be perfect? :naughty:

No, I'd like it with the same tune, different lyrics and completely different arrangements :teehee: OR I wouldn't mind the same song with different people, though would not listen to it much. :roftl:

No, I'd like it with the same tune, different lyrics and completely different arrangements :teehee: OR I wouldn't mind the same song with different people, though would not listen to it much. :roftl:

I love the lyrics! I always wished Mika to sing some romantic song :wub2:

Even if he blames it on the many things in his songs.. me or you, girls, boys, weather... :naughty: