Blame It On The Weather - song discussion

suzie

I think there should be a separate thread for this song.

from Compiégne:

[YOUTUBE]X4ysl8mDOag&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

I like this song as it is really melodic. I think at this moment the lyrics and the violins might make it sound a bit over-sentimental but this song has potential. I guess it will depend on how the final version of it will be produced and who will sing it.

:Update:

Here is a much better version:

I think Ida starting it gave some more security for Mika, probably, and she was also more restrained, which made a huge difference.

:Update: No2 :I think this is the best version so far (from Switzerland):

ETA Lyrics (so far) courtesy of Blue Sky:

:Update: No3 : THIS ONE IS IN TUNE AND SOUNDS GOOD :boing:

[YOUTUBE]oQUUYI1jrXk[/YOUTUBE]

Stormy weather, here we go again

We don't talk about it and you never change nothing

It doesn't matter that's what lovers do

We don't run from it when the skies are blue

So you can be the thunder and I can be the rain

Let love pull us under and do it all again

And I said Blame it on the weather and the things it makes us do

We could blame it on each other for we know we're guilty too

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

and we'll blame it all on the weather

Bitter winter, victims of the storm

I'm not freezing over it makes me love you more lover

I adore you, nothing more to say

If it wasn't for you I'd never love this way

Oh Let love pull us under and do it all again

So I said Blame it on the weather and the things it makes us do

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

oooh ooooh

Edited by suzie
Added lyrics

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just copy my post from the other thread:

Okay, now that's a bit disappointing. It's plain boring and to be honest Ida's voice together with Mika irritates me a lot here. That flawless operatic sterility is just unnecessary thick camouflage on the warmth of Mika's lower voice. If necessary, I'd prefer him to sing it alone. I think this song needs simplicity.

It seems to me that Mika is such good friends with Ida that he wants to include her in his shows whenever possible. It didn't work out last year in Stockholm when she was supposed to sing Happy Ending with him. Because she seems out of her comfort zone when she can't do it opera style.

They found a good solution for that when she performed Good Gone Girl with him at the following shows, though.

But for this new song, I vote no.

I'll just copy my post from the other thread:

I have to be honest here too.. Mika and Ida's voice doesn't mixed well here I think....

and it sounds so old fashioned duet song. :dunno:

I know that I gotta listen the recorded one before criticizing more about that ....but the live version is...not very good for me.

Sincerely i don't like the Ida's voice... it's not appropriate for this type of song: there's something wrong in this version. Btw, i'll wait the studio version and i hope that Mika will sing alone and put Ida only during the chorus.

Can't wait to know the lyrics: i didn't understand some parts

I think there is a pretty tune in there, but the lyrics and title, and Ida's voice in this version, do it no favours, to be honest.

I think it's wise to reserve judgment a bit on this one and see how it turns out in future. I remember disliking Rain quite a lot when it was first played live, yet I came to really like the album version and later live version (on the Imaginarium tour)

Sincerely i don't like the Ida's voice... it's not appropriate for this type of song: there's something wrong in this version. Btw, i'll wait the studio version and i hope that Mika will sing alone and put Ida only during the chorus.

Can't wait to know the lyrics: i didn't understand some parts

...+1

I didn't like Rain the first time live, not at all, and it came out in the end as a good dance track, so I guess it pays to reserve judgment...

I like the melody, it feels like something from a 1940 B movie - musical-ish about it... Ida's voice is very pure and lovely, but doesn't blend with Mika's in parts, was that because Mika was singing the harmony rather than the melody....?

But the subject matter :doh:

Blame it on... Rain...Storm... my suggestion would be to use the melody but make the lyrics about something else entirely.:aah::mf_rosetinted:

I didn't like Rain the first time live, not at all, and it came out in the end as a good dance track, so I guess it pays to reserve judgment...

I like the melody, it feels like something from a 1940 B movie - musical-ish about it... Ida's voice is very pure and lovely, but doesn't blend with Mika's in parts, was that because Mika was singing the harmony rather than the melody....?

Blame it on... Rain...Storm... my suggestion would be to use the melody but make the lyrics about something else entirely.:aah::mf_rosetinted:

Exactly my thoughts. I do like it, but I think it will take time to grow on me. At the moment I just don't get anything from it.

Yes, it's extreme cliche and rather cheesy. Always a shame when lyrics let down a nice tune.

Lyrics so far:

Stormy weather, here we go again

We don't talk about it and you never change nothing

It doesn't matter that's what lovers do

We don't run from it when the skies are blue

Let love pull us under and do it all again

And I said Blame it on the weather and the things it makes us do

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

and we'll blame it on, on the weather

.....victims of the storm

I'm not freezing over it makes me love you more lover

I adore you, nothing more to say

If it wasn't for you I'd never love this way

Oh Let love pull us under and do it all again

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

And I said Hear my song

It won't last too long

oooh ooooh

I think there should be a separate thread for this song.

While there is no video to it, let me post a link to the audio recording of the live performance

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dkq44m

I really like this song as it is proof Mika can still write beautiful melodies and will not take a completely new direction. The live recording of it may sound a bit oversentimental and even not always in tune and on time but I think this song is a potential hit. I guess it will depend on how the final version of it will be produced and who will sing it.

I hope it won't be 'overdone' on record like Toy Boy was. Much as I love violins, they need to be handled with care.:teehee:

I get your point there but I would personally say that I hope it doesn't end up like I See You on record. For my money that's the most vastly overproduced thing Mika's ever done, to the point where I can't really listen to it. :blink:

I hope this news song will be more subtly handled.

Also love the song- apart from the lines you quoted- "you can be the thunder and I can be the rain" makes him sound like a bit of a wet blanket,. Intentionally? Well I wouldn't put it past him, but...

Well, I guess that is supposed to be the meaning.

Two completely different personalities in a relationship that is not expected to last long. :dunno:

PS: I didn't quote that because I found that line so poetic in itself, just to draw attention that it was that particular song I was talking about.:teehee:

Now that is interesting- it's not a pop-starry way describe yourself, so I'm thinking the rest of the lyrics might be original to. (my hearing isn't up to catching them on the recordings we've had so far)

Hope Suzie doesn't mind me reposting in what is probably a better place.

But I notice someone has now posted the rest of the lyrics- I'll read them with trepidation

Edit- Ah. It's better to travel hopefully than to arrive, I guess. Maaybe he should go back to working more with lyricists- they seem to be able to express what's on his mind better than he can do himself

Edited by Soaring Simpson

I get your point there but I would personally say that I hope it doesn't end up like I See You on record. For my money that's the most vastly overproduced thing Mika's ever done, to the point where I can't really listen to it. :blink:

I hope this news song will be more subtly handled.

And I thought I was the only one feeling that way!:teehee:

Hope Suzie doesn't mind me reposting in what is probably a better place.

But I notice someone has now posted the rest of the lyrics- I'll read them with trepidation

Edit- Ah. It's better to travel hopefully than to arrive, I guess. Maaybe he should go back to working more with lyricists- they seem to be able to express what's on his mind better than he can do himself

I can live with those lyrics:wink2:maybe I have really low expectations or bad taste?:naughty:

Like so many of his(and others) lyrics they are never to be taken for direct messages, you have to fill in the blanks yourself!:roftl:

My knowledge of the English language helps me to blur up the edges and look at it as a love-song Mika-wise!:teehee::biggrin2:

A pity though that this recording is so boring to listen to, maybe it will be better when we have a studio version?

Ida's voice prevents to understand the melody ... I hope, Mika will sing for an album without her help. She " pulls a blanket over herself" and Mika's voice is lost...