Greg Wells On Producing Mika vs. The All American Rejects - September 2011

Miro

@nenartus I am also from the bloc and I my post referred to neglecting consumer needs and wants. That's what happened during communism.

I discussed it with her already and I think I understand more what she meant.

But why you are mixing this with my other comments about not wanting MFC to turn shallow or bringing up the music topic again is beyond my understanding.

PS: oh, ok, I see what you mean. So you think that because most MFCers are not 'professional' musicians they are not entitled to an opinion about pop music. :blink:

:lmfao:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh. My. Goodness. :blink: :blink: :blink:

I would like to post something longer later, but in the meantime, just a little comment to all those people who keep putting forward the (flawed:naughty:) argument of: I'd rather he focused 100% on his work and the album, than on communicating with us.

Err...What this argument is missing, is that this is not an either/or situation. Focusing on his work and music does NOT mean that he needs to neglect the other aspects, like communication.

Do you guys really, honestly think that Mika is spending all his waking hours just working? That he is not also seeing friends, partying, going out for meals, spending time with family, exercising, meeting new people, etc, etc, etc?

Him focusing "100%" on the new album is something that is highly unlikely to be happening (and I'm not even saying that he should!) so come on, let's drop that silly argument once and for all.

One thing doesn't have anything to do with the other. Like a teacher that I had at school once said: "Que tiene que ver la velocidad con el chorizo?" (What does speed have to do with chorizo?).

Exactly.

Wow :shocked:

I think all the fuss might come from one of my posts where I just wrote that when I discovered the music vlogs 2 years ago, I was hoping I would get some new ones in the making of the 3rd album. Of course now that we are in the lead up to this album I feel a bit sad that this is not happening. Especially after reading the thread from that time where it was full of excitement and which leaves me with a bittersweet feeling as I was not around at that time.

But I don't think it means I am being negative about Mika and about everything Mika does?? As someone said if we are here it is exactly because we care (maybe too much I admit) for Mika. If I write that I miss Mika and would have loved to have a vlog, I'm not moaning about Mika or his absence, I'm just basically showing how much I like him; and I'm still here waiting. Maybe writing nonsense, but still - waiting for more exciting times to come.

But i miss the excitement that Mika created between his 1st and 2nd album and i feel previledged to have experienced it with many other members. I wouldn't trade that feeling :swoon:

This is what I wanted to say; I'm disappointed I missed that period (my bad) and I was hoping I would experience something similar with the 3rd album - that can still happen though :original:

Why is it impossible to discuss the facts without people coming along to put words in the mouths of others?

Camille said that MFC was not as full of excitement as it was in the lead up to TBWKTM. I said it is because Mika is not generating the excitement you can read in those vlog-related posts by sharing the process of album making with us directly as he did last time. That's it.

This is the first time it's happening to me and I can say this is not pleasant at all :aah:

I think all the fuss might come from one of my posts where I just wrote that when I discovered the music vlogs 2 years ago, I was hoping I would get some new ones in the making of the 3rd album. Of course now that we are in the lead up to this album I feel a bit sad that this is not happening. Especially after reading the thread from that time where it was full of excitement and which leaves me with a bittersweet feeling as I was not around at that time.

But I don't think it means I am being negative about Mika and about everything Mika does?? As someone said if we are here it is exactly because we care (maybe too much I admit) for Mika. If I write that I miss Mika and would have loved to have a vlog, I'm not moaning about Mika or his absence, I'm just basically showing how much I like him; and I'm still here waiting. Maybe writing nonsense, but still - waiting for more exciting times to come.

This is what I wanted to say; I'm disappointed I missed that period (my bad) and I was hoping I would experience something similar with the 3rd album - that can still happen though :original:

Exactly :thumb_yello:. Very well said.

This is the first time it's happening to me and I can say this is not pleasant at all :aah:

:naughty: Maybe you should take it as a compliment :lmfao:

Seriously now, I find all this passive agressive stuff quite bad. Do some people really not realise that when one reads back through it all, it's quite clear what is happening and very easy to see?

Camille, it was magical :swoon:

We got to know a side of Mika that we didn't previously... what he liked to read, drawings, arts etc.... Some stuff i didn't care for, but that doesn't mean i wasn't happy that he was writing about it. What didn't peak my interest peaked someone else's...

So yeah... I'm hoping newer members will get to experience what we did in 2009. :swoon:

Til then, nothing compares!!! :blush-anim-cl:

Don't worry about that, if it hadn't been your post, it would have been anyone else's on any thread. :wink2: In off-peak periods members tend to find a topic they can start discussing in almost any post and there is often conversation going on about things we wouldn't even notice under normal circumstances. I remember that three years ago there was a long debate about Mika's jacket being purple or blue :roftl:

Don't worry about that, if it hadn't been your post, it would have been anyone else's on any thread. :wink2: In off-peak periods members tend to find a topic they can start discussing in almost any post and there is often conversation going on about things we wouldn't even notice under normal circumstances. I remember that three years ago there was a long debate about Mika's jacket being purple or blue :roftl:

:roftl: "chicken" or "ticket" in "i got life" :aah:

p.s. ... i still think he said "chicken" :mf_rosetinted::aah:

Seriously now, I find all this passive agressive stuff quite bad. Do some people really not realise that when one reads back through it all, it's quite clear what is happening and very easy to see?

Honestly I do not understand this game of trying to paint people as negative by provoking arguments by misstating facts or worse, implying that someone said something they didn't say. ...

.... I guess if the goal is to make certain fans appear like the "nasty guy" you're doing a bang up job. Bravo :clap:

Actually, I am not sure if it is done on purpose or it is merely about not understanding what has been said. I often notice that many absurd 'contra arguments' have nothing to do with the post they are replying to.

A typical example of this is when someone posts their wishes on Mika's third album doing well, bringing new fans to him, and then sharing their strong belief that the new songs will be brilliantly amazing...etc. :wub2: - something no-one can argue with as that is what everyone wishes. :dunno:

So you get the :thumb_yello: posts and the +1 replies for having said nothing on topic. :roftl:

as a newbie on this (or any forum actually) i found this discussion fascinating....:teehee:

i echo these exact sentiments!:thumb_yello:

@nenartus I am also from the bloc and I my post referred to neglecting consumer needs and wants. That's what happened during communism.

I discussed it with her already and I think I understand more what she meant.

I'm not sure that you understood her. And I saw you're from the bloc too, I do read posts before I comment. It shouldn't be a generalization, cause she was referring to something her husband said .

But why you are mixing this with my other comments about not wanting MFC to turn shallow or bringing up the music topic again is beyond my understanding.

It just wasn't an ok thing to say.

PS: oh, ok, I see what you mean. So you think that because most MFCers are not 'professional' musicians they are not entitled to an opinion about pop music. :blink:

:lmfao:

No, you don't see. I somehow knew that you are going to twist my words, but I guess it's your way to do discussions. With the presumption that people are stupid. I don't want to explain myself cause i know that what I said was quite obvious.

Camille, it was magical :swoon:

We got to know a side of Mika that we didn't previously... what he liked to read, drawings, arts etc.... Some stuff i didn't care for, but that doesn't mean i wasn't happy that he was writing about it. What didn't peak my interest peaked someone else's...

So yeah... I'm hoping newer members will get to experience what we did in 2009. :swoon:

Til then, nothing compares!!! :blush-anim-cl:

I didn't have the experience that you had on MFC, but those things that Mika was posting on internet since 2007. are still mostly available somewhere on the net. I found a lot of things since December, and my advantage is that i saw the whole package, I didn't have to wait for him to post.:naughty: Pure pleasure, what can I say. :biggrin2: That side of Mika is not unknown for new members if they are willing to search. :teehee:

I didn't have the experience that you had on MFC, but those things that Mika was posting on internet since 2007. are still mostly available somewhere on the net. I found a lot of things since December, and my advantage is that i saw the whole package, I didn't have to wait for him to post.:naughty: Pure pleasure, what can I say. :biggrin2: That side of Mika is not unknown for new members if they are willing to search. :teehee:

I suppose you can compare your experience with buying a series of a weekly sitcom. It is very interesting without any period of anticipation & the wait.

But i describe my experience as "waiting for a Christmas gift".

Sometimes the waiting is as fun as the gift itself :aah:

edit: it's not that one experience is better then the other... they are just different.

as for looking on the internet for "everything Mika", i'm pretty sure we can all relate to that, starting from the time we first heard of him.

My "Mika" trip started in May 2007, i had about 6 months of internet search to catch up on... which i did with joy :swoon:

But to this day, i wish i would have been there in January, when the first members got to see him on tv for the first time, heard on radio for the first time etc... it must have been a wonderful feeling

I feel very very excited for the new album even without tweets and vlogs and I think more excitment would kill me :teehee:. But if I think about it a little longer I believe I could bear one or two vlogs :wink2::roftl:!

I feel very very excited for the new album even without tweets and vlogs and I think more excitment would kill me :teehee:. But if I think about it a little longer I believe I could bear one or two vlogs :wink2::roftl:!

:naughty: think you would live through it? :aah:

I suppose you can compare your experience with buying a series of a weekly sitcom. It is very interesting without any period of anticipation & the wait.

Exactly! :thumb_yello:

But i describe my experience as "waiting for a Christmas gift".

Sometimes the waiting is as fun as the gift itself :aah:

And that's why I'm not complaining about waiting. :mf_rosetinted:

edit: it's not that one experience is better then the other... they are just different.

as for looking on the internet for "everything Mika", i'm pretty sure we can all relate to that, starting from the time we first heard of him.

My "Mika" trip started in May 2007, i had about 6 months of internet search to catch up on... which i did with joy :swoon:

But to this day, i wish i would have been there in January, when the first members got to see him on tv for the first time, heard on radio for the first time etc... it must have been a wonderful feeling

I'm still researching. :teehee: I just regret for those small gigs. I'm not much fond of festivals and stadium concerts.

as a newbie on this (or any forum actually) i found this discussion fascinating....:teehee:

MFC was the first forum I ever signed up to in 2007 and I found it fascinating so I checked 5-6 other forums to see if they are similarly exciting but they didn't live up to my expectations. :teehee:

Exactly! :thumb_yello:

And that's why I'm not complaining about waiting. :mf_rosetinted:

:naughty: but sometimes it's nice to have a little hint :teehee:

I'm still researching. :teehee: I just regret for those small gigs. I'm not much fond of festivals and stadium concerts.

Oh those small gigs must have been wonderful. I do not envy festivals & stadium concerts either. But i so enjoyed the early interviews he gave, the koko gig etc... :swoon:

MFC was the first forum I ever signed up to in 2007 and I found it fascinating so I checked 5-6 other forums to see if they are similarly exciting but they didn't live up to my expectations. :teehee:

I never belonged to a fan forum before Mika came along, MFC was my first. I did read others, but this one was/is perfect for me. :wub2:

I would like to post something longer later, but in the meantime, just a little comment to all those people who keep putting forward the (flawed:naughty:) argument of: I'd rather he focused 100% on his work and the album, than on communicating with us.

Err...What this argument is missing, is that this is not an either/or situation. Focusing on his work and music does NOT mean that he needs to neglect the other aspects, like communication.

Do you guys really, honestly think that Mika is spending all his waking hours just working? That he is not also seeing friends, partying, going out for meals, spending time with family, exercising, meeting new people, etc, etc, etc?

Him focusing "100%" on the new album is something that is highly unlikely to be happening (and I'm not even saying that he should!) so come on, let's drop that silly argument once and for all.

I quote this post because I sometimes use this expression "he is focusing on his work" myself. I don't personally define it "he is focusing on his work 100%" because it would be absurd. I take it for granted that he eats, sleeps and wants to relax like everyone else. I define it more like focusing on his work AND those things he sees important (exercising, spending time with his family etc) and skipping those things he sees unimportant or disturbing, maybe using social media or sharing his work as an artist before it's properly finished.

This is only how I use this expression myself, someone else can use it differently. Also, I don't have any idea what kind of things Mika sees important or unimportant ( I only gave a couple of possible examples to make my own explanation easier to understand). Writing a tweet takes less than a minute, but I perfectly understand if he sees just the thought of using twitter sometimes disturbing. (And again, I have no idea how he really feels about twitter or sharing or anything, and I still hope we will get a tweet or short vlog in near future :wink2:)

The excitement before TBWKTM was so special, I loved it. Of course I would love to live something like that again :wub2: However, 2011 has been a lovely year in it's own way so I feel grateful and I try to do my best and wait patiently for some new excitement in the future :naughty: (And this was only my own feeling atm. No one asked it, I just felt like saying it :teehee:).

Welcome to MFC. :wink2:

Dreamy Queen I get your point about the customer doesn't always know what's right (that's my policy in life, I can tell you for certain :teehee:).

But given that someone has recently accused me of emotionally blackmailing Mika and this "Mika can do what he wants" mantra won't go away, I think it bears repeating that MIKA IS NOT HERE.

It is not incumbent on any of us to "let" Mika do what he wants. Mika doesn't know what I think. Mika doesn't care what I think. What I think has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what he does and doesn't do. To say that he can do whatever he wants is to say that he was born in Beirut or that he plays the piano. It's just a fact that everyone is well aware of and is not relevant to the discussion at all.

I am sorry that there are some people on MFC who do not want to hear things they deem negative but there are others who do want to participate in these discussions. As long as it falls within the guidelines then there is no need for people to lecture others on what is and isn't appropriate to discuss on MFC.

I find it ironic (and a little bit unbelievable to be honest) that people are so offended by these conversations because when MFC is full of so-called "positivity" it's dead and when one of these so-called "negative" convos starts everyone descends on it like vultures and things get lively. The original Mikasounds was replete with dull "positive" conversations and it died a slow and miserable death. I don't want to see that happen to MFC and all thoughtful conversation driven out because of the fantasy notion that Mika is somehow negatively impacted because people voice their wish that he would make a vlog.

Archived