Greg Wells On Producing Mika vs. The All American Rejects - September 2011

Miro

Wow :shocked:

I think all the fuss might come from one of my posts where I just wrote that when I discovered the music vlogs 2 years ago, I was hoping I would get some new ones in the making of the 3rd album. Of course now that we are in the lead up to this album I feel a bit sad that this is not happening. Especially after reading the thread from that time where it was full of excitement and which leaves me with a bittersweet feeling as I was not around at that time.

But I don't think it means I am being negative about Mika and about everything Mika does?? As someone said if we are here it is exactly because we care (maybe too much I admit) for Mika. If I write that I miss Mika and would have loved to have a vlog, I'm not moaning about Mika or his absence, I'm just basically showing how much I like him; and I'm still here waiting. Maybe writing nonsense, but still - waiting for more exciting times to come.

This is what I wanted to say; I'm disappointed I missed that period (my bad) and I was hoping I would experience something similar with the 3rd album - that can still happen though :original:

This is the first time it's happening to me and I can say this is not pleasant at all :aah:

I don't think you're being negative at all, there's nothing wrong with feeling sad about him not doing vlogs this time.

I do understand that it might be disappointing to some, that he's not doing it this time, but I'm sure he has his reasons for not doing it. Maybe he wanted to be in the same mindset doing this album as he was for LICM, where he obviously wasn't communicating, as he didn't have an actual fanbase then.

I'm just throwing things out there, for why he might not be sharing this time. He may be doing it for completely different reasons, I don't know:dunno:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think you're being negative at all, there's nothing wrong with feeling sad about him not doing vlogs this time.

I do understand that it might be disappointing to some, that he's not doing it this time, but I'm sure he has his reasons for not doing it. Maybe he wanted to be in the same mindset doing this album as he was for LICM, where he obviously wasn't communicating, as he didn't have an actual fanbase then.

I'm just throwing things out there, for why he might not be sharing this time. He may be doing it for completely different reasons, I don't know:dunno:

Throwing things out :wink2:, maybe he is too superstitious again like he was before the PDP gig and decided not to tell anything before he has finished the album because he´s convinced silence will bring him luck...... :wink2:

Throwing things out :wink2:, maybe he is too superstitious again like he was before the PDP gig and decided not to tell anything before he has finished the album because he´s convinced silence will bring him luck...... :wink2:

Could be:naughty:

I would believe that WAY before I would believe any notion that the poor dear is in fact working so darn hard that he doesn't have thirty seconds to tweet. :naughty:

Yeah I'd buy into the superstitious theory for sure. :roftl:

Back to the Greg topic...I find it interesting that he and Mika have swapped places when it comes to Twitter. I think he was very wary in the beginning (he even deleted his initial account at one point) but he seems to enjoy it now.

I somehow knew that you are going to twist my words, but I guess it's your way to do discussions. With the presumption that people are stupid. I don't want to explain myself cause i know that what I said was quite obvious.

That is clever response for sure and with no-one having a problem understanding it.

In any case, I have re-read the posts again as I wasn’t sure if I understood everything well. As I don’t like misunderstandings, let me sum up our discussion the way I understood them and meant my response:

DQ posted that her husband, a programmer, believes that listening to customer needs is unnecessary and only delays the process of development. This is totally non-Mika related but this was the culture we (in this part of the world) were brought up in and I strongly oppose this way of treating customers in any area of life.

However, as she explained later, she meant that customer comments along the way (in the process of developing something ). That is different of course, and I understand now what she meant, .

Then it was you and her saying that there were enough ‘professionals’ around Mika to guide him on his journey. To be honest, I do find this argument invalid without thinking that anyone is stupid. My :lmfao: smiley referred to the argument that fans without ‘professional’ knowledge on music or the music business should refrain from commenting as people in the business know what they are doing. Well, they do not, in general, as what makes or breaks an artist cannot be planned with objective measures. Otherwise there would not be so many failures. I think at least around 10% of every new act fails and it is a loss that is already calculated with.

This is not to say that we, fans, know better, but we can certainly share our opinion - this is a forum for us after all. ( and as far as I remember, DQ is with me on this opinion, correct me if I am wrong)

throwing things out- perhaps Mika feels he lost that all-important mystery by doing vlogs, like he revealed too much too soon, and wants it back?

or maybe both his phone and his computer are broken, and those of everyone else around him too :roftl:

i too wish i was around before TBWKTM came out, watcing the vlogs i can only imagine the excitement & anticipation :wub2:

k, i'll go back to the Gasmic & Mika body parts thread where i feel more comfortable posting now

He's gonna what??????:shocked::shocked::shocked:

hummm what???? haven't you read the anniversary thread? he knows what we are up to & is donating something special for our fundraising / auction etc...???

or are you just trying to start rumors here???? :sneaky2:

hummm what???? haven't you read the anniversary thread? he knows what we are up to & is donating something special for our fundraising / auction etc...???

or are you just trying to start rumors here???? :sneaky2:

Nope, haven't been reading it much lately...:dunno:

Something special?

Or showing up?

Coz from what u've said i realised he was coming up..

or maybe both his phone and his computer are broken, and those of everyone else around him too :roftl:

k, i'll go back to the Gasmic & Mika body parts thread where i feel more comfortable posting now

:roftl::roftl: i think that's exactly it!!

No cameraman around, for example? :dunno::teehee:

Sharing new music in vlogs is not the only means of communication he can keep fans excited with in off-peak periods, of course. Last time he was writing blogs and replying to questions from fans as well. I guess his XL Republica column would have been perfect to satisfy that need, had that not been a local project. His team seems to have realised only at a later stage that those articles should have been put on MS and FB. Those regular opinion polls and small competitions on FB are supposed to have that function, too, IMO. They are not the same but with Mika unwilling, we may not expect much more until next year. I don’t, anyway.

What I expect is that one day they will drop a big f-ing promo bomb and all hell will break loose. :naughty:

This is what I'm hoping for too. The only reason I sometimes get concerned about lack of tweeets etc is, not that I'm complaining about it, or loosing interest. It's that I don't want others to loose interest in him. He's such an amazing singer and composer that I long for the day he's listed among the legends of pop, like McCartney, Elton etc. I really believe he should be there someday.

It's good that he does other things, like the modeling for Loubi. I also don't mind a bit that he's not in the EMD vid. It's still his song and his vision. It's wonderful that it's been such a huge hit and that the vid has been viewed over 10 million times, but it's very sad that the general population in the UK are not aware of EMD or how successful he has been.

So yes. I long to see Mika doing interviews on UKTV, where he can tell viewers of the success of EMD and promote the music that will be released in Britain, America, and elsewhere.

So yes, I want a great rush of publicity very soon. That is what I'm hoping for.

.Edit: I must have ESP or something! He's tweeted!

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3579562#post3579562

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/11/super-producer-greg-wells-plays-well-with-others/

Another article about Greg. He tells a bit about Mika.

“I love spreading the word about Mika,” Wells says about the British singer-songwriter who’s sold eight million records around the world but doesn’t get much airplay in the States. “He’s a huge superstar, [but] it’s not American enough. It’s a guy singing largely in falsetto.”

American pop fans will recognize these string of hits, though: Katy Perry’s “Pearl” and “Not Like The Movies” from Teenage Dream and “Waking Up In Vegas” and “Ur So Gay” from One Of The Boys. Wells produced and co-wrote those cuts from the L.A. pop diva, and he often also plays many of the instruments on the recordings.

But, until the end of the year, Wells’ attention will be focused on recording Mika’s third album. “He’s one of the best songwriters I’ve ever encountered. He writes in a very honest way,” says Wells. The dark subject matter of Mika’s songs coupled with its presentation in what Wells describes as a “Dr. Seuss celebratory way” is what drew the producer to him. (Kanye West is also a fan.)

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/11/super-producer-greg-wells-plays-well-with-others/

Another article about Greg. He tells a bit about Mika.

“I love spreading the word about Mika,” Wells says about the British singer-songwriter who’s sold eight million records around the world but doesn’t get much airplay in the States. “He’s a huge superstar, [but] it’s not American enough. It’s a guy singing largely in falsetto.”

American pop fans will recognize these string of hits, though: Katy Perry’s “Pearl” and “Not Like The Movies” from Teenage Dream and “Waking Up In Vegas” and “Ur So Gay” from One Of The Boys. Wells produced and co-wrote those cuts from the L.A. pop diva, and he often also plays many of the instruments on the recordings.

But, until the end of the year, Wells’ attention will be focused on recording Mika’s third album. “He’s one of the best songwriters I’ve ever encountered. He writes in a very honest way,” says Wells. The dark subject matter of Mika’s songs coupled with its presentation in what Wells describes as a “Dr. Seuss celebratory way” is what drew the producer to him. (Kanye West is also a fan.)

“I love spreading the word about Mika,” Wells says .... :fangurl:

“He’s one of the best songwriters I’ve ever encountered. He writes in a very honest way,” says Wells ... :fangurl:

Awnn Greg says..... :fangurl:

Sometimes he fangurl da boss more than us :naughty:

I loved it thanks for sharing :flowers2:

Archived