Greg Wells On Producing Mika vs. The All American Rejects - September 2011

Miro

I like it when people are so assertive about their opinions they post it twice...:mf_rosetinted:

:roftl::roftl: om gosh so sorry! my computer sometimes freezes when i try to post so i think it wasn't sent and i repost....eeks...

though yea i can be very assertive opinions-wise:teehee:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Miro, that's very interesting. I totally agree with him about the vocal being the most important part of the track, especially where Mika is concerned.

I am also a huge fan of Greg and was lucky enough to see him perform and talk a bit about his early start in being a musician and working in the music industry. I'm glad Mika was able to connect with him so early in his career and have a producer who really gets him and complements his skills.

Did you see him perform live?So lucky!! Where, if i can ask?

Living halfway around the world, I think it will be very difficult for me to have the pleasure of meeting him! :aah:

Did you see him perform live?So lucky!! Where, if i can ask?

Living halfway around the world, I think it will be very difficult for me to have the pleasure of meeting him! :aah:

He has been to a couple of gigs in Europe. I think a couple of MFCers spoke to him at iTunes in London and of course he was at PDP. So you may get your chance. :wink2:

When Greg was going to college in Toronto he was part of a band and they got together this year for a reunion. There have been various incarnations of the band over the years (as students come and go from the college) and Greg performed with his band and did some arrangements for the other bands. He also did something they called "Hammond Jam" where he and a couple of others did some freestyle organ playing.

Greg has been in the US since he was quite young and has obviously been extremely successful so it was very cool to see him get back to his roots and help put this show on. He's got a bit of an LA accent but doesn't come off as a hotshot LA producer at all, but really down to earth.

He spoke about how he had come to the college from a small town at the age of 17 and spoke to one of his advisors about going back home because he felt that it wasn't working out for him. The instructor said he would get Greg involved in this band and he should give it a go before he makes a final decision. He told a story of his first keyboard solo he had with the band and how it literally changed his life - he said he had chills just thinking about it because it literally changed his entire life.

He decided not to go back to the small town...and...

...20 years later he was recording LICM. :biggrin2:

Here's a clip from the show.

[YOUTUBE]4yeghqdpYTc[/YOUTUBE]

Sadly I was not around at the time of these vlogs :blush-anim-cl:

When I watched them after becoming a fan (or while becoming a fan as they made me love Mika even more) I used to think 'I can't wait to watch such vlogs for the 3rd album, and this time I'll be one of the first to watch them' :mf_rosetinted: Hmm any new vlogs, anyone? :crybaby:

It was such an exciting time. I had been out when the first new music vlog was released and when I came home my MSN was lit up like a Christmas tree, there was so much buzz. But I had to just watch the video myself and didn't want to speak to anyone until I'd had a chance to process it. Ever since that day I think I've had complete faith that Mika is always going to make music that I love even if I like some songs better than others.

I hope he starts letting the fans into this process again as the recording is nearing completion because I think it's very important to get people excited about the music before it's released.

I second all of this. The first new music vlog was released on Valentine's Day, if I recall correctly, and I basically inhaled my "romantic Valentine's dinner" to get back online and talk to other MFCers about the vlog - and to replay it over and over. I can't even properly express how...electric?...that time was, from the first new music vlog to the release of TBWKTM. That's what I miss most about the vlogs and regular tweets - the excitement of getting that little tidbit of something truly awesome and knowing the final product will be mindblowing. :blush-anim-cl: With Mika gone AWOL there's nothing to get excited about. :dunno:

EDIT: Here's the thread starting when people first found the first new music vlog, and everyone going MENTAL with excitement in response. Sigh. People were so eager those days that they'd sit on YouTube refreshing his page hoping something would be posted. :teehee: I miss that electricity and excitement so much. :sad: If you weren't on MFC in those days (or were, and want a trip down memory lane) it's worth making a cuppa tea and having a read. :wub2:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2134245#post2134245

(You may even notice some of the MFCers who are often accused of being too criticial or anti-Mika fangurling along with the best of them...:fisch:)

I second all of this. The first new music vlog was released on Valentine's Day, if I recall correctly, and I basically inhaled my "romantic Valentine's dinner" to get back online and talk to other MFCers about the vlog - and to replay it over and over. I can't even properly express how...electric?...that time was, from the first new music vlog to the release of TBWKTM. That's what I miss most about the vlogs and regular tweets - the excitement of getting that little tidbit of something truly awesome and knowing the final product will be mindblowing. :blush-anim-cl: With Mika gone AWOL there's nothing to get excited about. :dunno:

EDIT: Here's the thread starting when people first found the first new music vlog, and everyone going MENTAL with excitement in response. Sigh. People were so eager those days that they'd sit on YouTube refreshing his page hoping something would be posted. :teehee: I miss that electricity and excitement so much. :sad: If you weren't on MFC in those days (or were, and want a trip down memory lane) it's worth making a cuppa tea and having a read. :wub2:

(You may even notice some of the MFCers who are often accused of being too criticial or anti-Mika fangurling along with the best of them...:fisch:)

That's my favourite vlog!!!!!! I even have my avatar from it!!!

Soooo sad that I hadn't experienced such excitement and thrill! After I came here, only 40 and 41 vlog came out, but they were so official :boxed:

:fangurl: I'm fangurling over the fangurl comments in there.. Great thread :wink2:

You see this is the kind of threads I would like to read and contribute to; it's all so quiet at the moment :sad:

I hope he starts letting the fans into this process again as the recording is nearing completion because I think it's very important to get people excited about the music before it's released.

Exactly! From what I can see in the thread posted above, a lot of people were still around MFC quite early in the making of TBWKTM. I don't think it's the same excitement and wait this time is it?

If I recall correctly, Mika had just got onto twitter around the time we were all getting excited for TBWKTM too, so we had a lot of excitement being generated.

Now he's cooled off on twitter, vlogs and the rest, thank goodness we get interesting snippets from Greg to stir up some interest again. I heart Greg.:wub2:

EDIT: Here's the thread starting when people first found the first new music vlog, and everyone going MENTAL with excitement in response. Sigh. People were so eager those days that they'd sit on YouTube refreshing his page hoping something would be posted. :teehee:I miss that electricity and excitement so much. :sad: If you weren't on MFC in those days (or were, and want a trip down memory lane) it's worth making a cuppa tea and having a read. :wub2:

Those were the days :wub2: A couple of months ago I took a quick look at this thread you posted, it felt surreal...

The bolded part is very true and I feel the same way.

He has been to a couple of gigs in Europe. I think a couple of MFCers spoke to him at iTunes in London and of course he was at PDP. So you may get your chance. :wink2:

I hope :mf_popeanim:

When Greg was going to college in Toronto he was part of a band and they got together this year for a reunion. There have been various incarnations of the band over the years (as students come and go from the college) and Greg performed with his band and did some arrangements for the other bands. He also did something they called "Hammond Jam" where he and a couple of others did some freestyle organ playing.

Greg has been in the US since he was quite young and has obviously been extremely successful so it was very cool to see him get back to his roots and help put this show on. He's got a bit of an LA accent but doesn't come off as a hotshot LA producer at all, but really down to earth.

He spoke about how he had come to the college from a small town at the age of 17 and spoke to one of his advisors about going back home because he felt that it wasn't working out for him. The instructor said he would get Greg involved in this band and he should give it a go before he makes a final decision. He told a story of his first keyboard solo he had with the band and how it literally changed his life - he said he had chills just thinking about it because it literally changed his entire life.

Thanks for the video!! :thumb_yello:

It's not every day be present at such an event and to have before a famous producer who speaks of how he began his career and of his life experiences.

I wonder if he had expected when he left his country, that 20 years later he would create songs for the best international singers (and of course for Mika) :naughty:

wow :shocked: this is a old song of the Blood Sweat & Tears - Spinning Wheel - ... I love it :wub2:

Exactly! From what I can see in the thread posted above, a lot of people were still around MFC quite early in the making of TBWKTM. I don't think it's the same excitement and wait this time is it?

You're just not going to keep people interested in the same way when there is no connection like we had then. The only new music this year came with a video he didn't even appear in and accompanied by what felt like an impersonal promo for the record company. I know there was some other music in the summer but millions of fans can't go to these gigs, and Mika never talks about it. When he debuted TBWKTM songs he was tweeting all the time. He was even DMing people who said they couldn't get wristbands to get into the show, to make sure they could be there.

When WAG was released he was online while he was at the radio station and caught up in the excitement with everyone else. I love Underwater, I really really do. But no piece of music is going to generate the same amount of excitement as Mika saying "I've put everything I've got into this music and I want to know what you think."

Is it really surprising that when the only news is 6 month old shoe ads that really have nothing to do with Mika or his music people express disinterest and disappointment?

If I recall correctly, Mika had just got onto twitter around the time we were all getting excited for TBWKTM too, so we had a lot of excitement being generated.

Yes it was a month, almost to the day, that he appeared on Twitter after the first new music vlog. And one month after that he was performing some of the songs.

After I came here, only 40 and 41 vlog came out, but they were so official :boxed:

I think the new music vlogs were sort of official, no? There were some vlogs that had been properly produced by Andy and others where Mika just took a cam around and taped himself. I preferred the ones that were produced myself.

It's not every day be present at such an event and to have before a famous producer who speaks of how he began his career and of his life experiences.

Yes I couldn't believe it really. It was surreal. I wonder if I'll be able to go to Mika's reunion at the Royal College of Music in 20 years. :roftl:

I wonder if he had expected when he left his country, that 20 years later he would create songs for the best international singers (and of course for Mika) :naughty:

I guess that was the whole reason he went to LA, but perhaps he still pinches himself when he thinks about all he's achieved. I find it fascinating that Greg comes from such a different time and place and musical influences from Mika and yet they have really clicked professionally and personally.

wow :shocked: this is a old song of the Blood Sweat & Tears - Spinning Wheel - ... I love it :wub2:

They also did a lot of Tower of Power and Earth Wind and Fire. I love all that 70s music with horns and sax. We had initially been hoping that Greg's band would perform first so we didn't have to stay all night but all the music was great.

:lmfao: oh mana! there is serious :fangurl: going on in there!!! *coughbabspankycough* :aah:

oh it was so nice to listen to this vlog again & to read the thread! You can feel the excitement in the posts!

thanks! :blush-anim-cl:

You're just not going to keep people interested in the same way when there is no connection like we had then. The only new music this year came with a video he didn't even appear in and accompanied by what felt like an impersonal promo for the record company. I know there was some other music in the summer but millions of fans can't go to these gigs, and Mika never talks about it. When he debuted TBWKTM songs he was tweeting all the time. He was even DMing people who said they couldn't get wristbands to get into the show, to make sure they could be there.

When WAG was released he was online while he was at the radio station and caught up in the excitement with everyone else. I love Underwater, I really really do. But no piece of music is going to generate the same amount of excitement as Mika saying "I've put everything I've got into this music and I want to know what you think."

Is it really surprising that when the only news is 6 month old shoe ads that really have nothing to do with Mika or his music people express disinterest and disappointment?

Yes it was a month, almost to the day, that he appeared on Twitter after the first new music vlog. And one month after that he was performing some of the songs.

I think the new music vlogs were sort of official, no? There were some vlogs that had been properly produced by Andy and others where Mika just took a cam around and taped himself. I preferred the ones that were produced myself.

Yes I couldn't believe it really. It was surreal. I wonder if I'll be able to go to Mika's reunion at the Royal College of Music in 20 years. :roftl:

I guess that was the whole reason he went to LA, but perhaps he still pinches himself when he thinks about all he's achieved. I find it fascinating that Greg comes from such a different time and place and musical influences from Mika and yet they have really clicked professionally and personally.

They also did a lot of Tower of Power and Earth Wind and Fire. I love all that 70s music with horns and sax. We had initially been hoping that Greg's band would perform first so we didn't have to stay all night but all the music was great.

I'm really grateful to Greg for all the updates. I do try to be patient with Mika. I say to myself, and sometimes to others, that he's busy in the studio. But I also know that if I was in Mika's place, recording exciting new music, I'd be tweeting in my lunch break, because I wouldn't be able to contain myself and I would be dying to update my fans. I would also be aware that they might loose interest if I didn't keep them in the loop, and then I might not get a hit single or album, and be dropped by my record company.

I don't what that to happen to Mika. The people around him should be telling him to just let his fans know what is happening. Not leave it to Greg to tell us. Much as we may love Greg and are really grateful to him, we need to have some news from Mika himself. Even if it's just "Hi there, the album's sounding great. Can't wait to share it with you." It would just be something from Mika and would take less than a minute to write.

I worry that if he continually keeps quiet, people won't remain interested and the album will not sell as much as it should. After all of his hard work, that would be very sad.

Comparing this current dry spell with the lead up to WAG is a bit like comparing Christmas to a regular school day; makes the ordinary seem far more unpleasant than it actually is.

Did you read that thread that Mana posted? It was 5 months before WAG was released so I guess we started celebrating Christmas in July and never stopped. I don't know who was complaining about the EP but it sure wasn't me. I was too busy going to see him perform it!

I never cared for PDP but that had nothing to do with a dry spell, it's just an aesthetic preference. Within a month of PDP Mika was reporting from the studio with blogs and vlogs and I don't recall any side projects for a full year until WAG was released. (Personally I don't consider the EP a side project at all because it's his music.)

You are right that people will always find something to complain about when they are hanging about a message board for months, but that doesn't negate the fact that nothing is going to generate excitement about new music as Mika sharing it with his fans himself.

:floor:

If every artist who didn't have a hit single or album got dropped by their record company, we would only have ten or twenty artists to listen to

That is pretty much what is going on these days. Duffy (who sold as many albums as Mika did) failed to chart with her first single on her second album, all her promotion and tour plans were cancelled and her label effectively folded. Mika is safe because of his success in other markets but people are getting dumped in the UK over one failed single (which equates to a failed album because it stops getting promo support immediately).

I was just lining up the timeline for a better comparison to last time because people are comparing the current dry spell with the last big excitement instead of comparing it with the last dry spell, which was not much different than this dry spell.

It is different. Mika was reporting from the studio while he was still in the demoing phase. It was August 2008 - more than a year before the album was released.

If this album is to be released in March then we are already within a 4 or 5 month window of a first single being played on radio.

You know maybe Mika has decided that life is too short to spend so much of his time promoting his work. I can understand that. He's got a comfortable success in France and he's being hired for private gigs, etc. which is probably more than paying his bills. He's had a scare with his family, he's grown up in the past few years, etc. I can understand all of that. But that doesn't mean that things have not changed from the perspective of the fan.

If I recall correctly, there was a serious leak last time, which delayed the release, so it's probably extra dry this time in order to prevent that happening again. However, that is pure speculation on my part.

There was a leak but it didn't delay anything. The release dates were already set at that point.

I am a fan too.

This is not a matter of opinion. Mika was making vlogs during the album making process in 2008 and now he's not. You can like it, not like it, or not care. But it doesn't change the fact that things are different this time around.

Whatever, I will just entertain myself until the album comes around:mf_rosetinted:

That's what we're all doing. It's not like we have a choice. :teehee:

Archived