"The Origin of Love" - the pieces of a puzzle

nenartus

:naughty: You and me both, sistah!!!! Not to mention that it would be also more work friendly :mf_rosetinted: Could we possibly also reduce the size of the MIKA FAN CLUB at the top? Hehehehe

Totally agree with what you said, Marilyn, very well put. That is how i feel aobut this too. He's evolved, he's not hiding behind all these gimmicks, and he's showing it. It's cleaner and clearer, and it should do him good in the eyes of the general public.

See, this is the problem that I find with all the terms like "mikaish", etc: people have this idea that he was 'different' to the rest and that the way to express it is via all the colourful stuff, etc, and if he does things like these he becomes 'ordinary'.

The fact is, being ordinary or not doesn't really have anything to do with these bits of imagery, and in fact if anything I find that these pollute and detract from the REAL message, which should be his music. It's like his shows: the more he focuses on the props, the less he focuses on the music, and it's obvious. It becomes more like a musical rather than a concert, which is never good news for someone who wants their talent as an artist seen.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that I don't think for a minute that, if he is extraordinary and special, he ceases to be so because he has toned down the colours and props. It's more the opposite.

Yes I agree. The more stripped down image doesn't make him ordinary. The way he was back in the day, I think, he would be classed as a cult-star. That means, the kind of artist who would gain loyal followers, but would never really break into the mainstream. In the UK, at the end of 2007, he was #98 in the poll of "Most annoying Celebrities of 2007" on the BBC. He was often made fun of, and quite recently, there was a hurtful dig at him on a show called Never Mind The Buzzcocks.

Basically, people saw him as one big joke. Someone who was a flash-in-the-pan and would not last. They did not see him as a serious musician.

With people over in the USA, he got some very loyal fans, just as in the UK, but the radio stations would not play his music. They did not get him at all.

The way I see it. Mika has done the right thing. It was never really all about the glitter and colours. They were just how he began this journey. I don't think he ever intended his world to stay like that I think he has wayed things up and changed his image accordingly. At the end of the day, it's all about selling albums and Mika knows that he has to make this one count. Hence all the fiddling around with the music and artwork, hence the vids of the songs, like MYH, the podcasts and the TBT series. It's all part of the campaign to promote the album.

But I still see him as a unique artist who will go down in history as someone who always stands out. Because he doesn't stay the same, but his music is always the best there is out there.

I like the cover, it's intimate and sober. I aknowledge a reference to jesus and the thorn crown and a tribute to Mika's narcissism :teehee:

:roftl:

See, this is the problem that I find with all the terms like "mikaish", etc: people have this idea that he was 'different' to the rest and that the way to express it is via all the colourful stuff, etc, and if he does things like these he becomes 'ordinary'.

I agree. Following the logic of "mikaish" equaling to 'colourful' and different in looks , the most extraordinary and creartive artist of our times would be Nicki Minaj :rolls_eyes: (:naughty:) I think it is exactly this superficial interpretation of who he is that Mika would finally like to get rid of. How people perceive him needs to change.

The fact is, being ordinary or not doesn't really have anything to do with these bits of imagery, and in fact if anything I find that these pollute and detract from the REAL message, which should be his music. It's like his shows: the more he focuses on the props, the less he focuses on the music, and it's obvious. It becomes more like a musical rather than a concert, which is never good news for someone who wants their talent as an artist seen.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that I don't think for a minute that, if he is extraordinary and special, he ceases to be so because he has toned down the colours and props. It's more the opposite.

:thumb_yello:

I say less is more :blush-anim-cl:

...also in the music. I think that was part of the problem about some of the songs on the second album.

I think it is exactly this superficial interpretation of who he is that Mika would finally like to get rid of.

I think so too. At least I'd like to get rid of it. :teehee:

But really I think a lot of the things that irk Mika about the way people perceive him are his own doing. The asexuality, the Peter Pan syndrome, the nosiness about his sexuality, etc. I think he had certain ideas about what it meant to be a pop star based on 70s and 80s icons like David Bowie and Michael Jackson but it's a different world now.

The gimmicks were fine to get people's attention but you can't expect anyone to take the music of a 29 year old man seriously with little pink cartoon girls with lollipops on the cover.

I appreciate the fact that Mika really enjoys illustration and wants to be a visual artist as well as a musician but I think if the music can't stand on its own there is something lacking. Most people who buy this album will take a good look at the album cover once, if at all. The purpose of an album is to listen to it for years, not look at a little pic on your ipod.

The gimmicks were fine to get people's attention but you can't expect anyone to take the music of a 29 year old man seriously with little pink cartoon girls with lollipops on the cover.

I'm sorry but the idea of this actually happening cracked me up. :lmfao:

In all seriousness though, I agree. I'm still not overly impressed with the new cover but I really do think it suits the new direction he's taking his music to. It's simple and clean and when I think of e.g. MYH the picture fits the song perfectly. The pictures of Mika in the LICM cover booklet do the exact opposite for me - they make him look like a folk singer and don't represent his music in any way. The artwork having illustrations of Billy Brown, Lollipop girl etc. make sense since they're one of his characters but I'm glad that this time he's feeling confident enough to talk about himself instead of other, fictional or non-fictional, people.

All in all I've liked Mika's album artwork so far but it's time to move on. I recently had a similar conversation about something else with my brother and told to him that I don't understand why someone would want to see something that's been done a million times. Having a distinctive style is necessary if you don't want to be a one hit wonder but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get out of your comfort area and evolve as an artist. Some musicians may be able to make the same records over and over again and still continue being successful because they've already reached a certain status but that isn't the case with Mika.

I think so too. At least I'd like to get rid of it. :teehee:

But really I think a lot of the things that irk Mika about the way people perceive him are his own doing. The asexuality, the Peter Pan syndrome, the nosiness about his sexuality, etc. I think he had certain ideas about what it meant to be a pop star based on 70s and 80s icons like David Bowie and Michael Jackson but it's a different world now.

I appreciate the fact that Mika really enjoys illustration and wants to be a visual artist as well as a musician but I think if the music can't stand on its own there is something lacking. Most people who buy this album will take a good look at the album cover once, if at all. The purpose of an album is to listen to it for years, not look at a little pic on your ipod.

I totally agree. I will have the cover in my hands for a few times than it will be in a box and I´ll listen to the music for years. This cover makes it very clear that he evolved and moved on. I like it but I don´t love it which isn´t neccessary because I love the music which I could listen in Milan :wink2:

It's been officially announced on facebook + mikasounds 5 minutes ago: This artwork is the official one and it seems like everyone gets the CD on the 17th September, except UK xD Maybe he wants to do soemthing special there for the releasing as it is his homeland ;)

Pre-orders can be made on http://mikasounds.com/ for the UK normal & deluxe edition.

Voilàààà :) Actually, I'm getting used to the actual artwork. I always need time when sudden changes come up and I guess I'm finally good with that cover. I'm looking forward to Mika's explanation, though. XD The golden drops/crown sound still weird to me :'D HAHAHA

All in all I've liked Mika's album artwork so far but it's time to move on. I recently had a similar conversation about something else with my brother and told to him that I don't understand why someone would want to see something that's been done a million times. Having a distinctive style is necessary if you don't want to be a one hit wonder but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get out of your comfort area and evolve as an artist. Some musicians may be able to make the same records over and over again and still continue being successful because they've already reached a certain status but that isn't the case with Mika.

I agree ! Being an artist is also about getting out of your lovely comfort and daring to do new things, even if it doesn't please everyone. Of course, when it comes to concerts and so on, music is about sharing but it has first to come from an introspective journey which has nothing to do with what the artist is expected to do. I'm really proud of the risk Mika is taking with this new album even if I'm not sure to like the electro touch but I'm ready to try it 'cause I feel like Mika tried to be as sincere as possible with his album. Anyway, I really can't wait September ! I hope we get news about the FR versions ASAP as well 'cause I wonder what the new version of KAREN is like... :) I wish I could just enter the screen and grab the CD >____< We'll all have to be patient XD

Edited by Kaito

Some musicians may be able to make the same records over and over again and still continue being successful because they've already reached a certain status but that isn't the case with Mika.

To me THIS is the thing that is most "Mikaish" to me and why I prefer him to so many other artists. I can't stand listening to the same song over and over again. I think Coldplay is one of the most overrated bands in music today. They've been singing the same song for 10 years and it was a song they ripped off from U2 to start with. It's not that I hate the song but I don't understand how you can be a fan of this endless sameiness and want to keep buying it over and over again.

I think what would make Mika ordinary is just doing the same songs and same illustrations year after year. It doesn't require any original thought that he didn't already have by the time he was 17 years old.

The other option to not repeating yourself is going the Gaga route and becoming ever more outrageous and bizarre and then most people don't consider you a musician at all.

A few of us have been saying for years that Mika's next move should be to strip it back down to basics and I like this new direction a lot. It doesn't come across as pretentious at all but honest and open. All the colours, props, characters and costumes were just things to hide behind and you would not recognize them in the "real" Mika if you ran into him on the street. Not even in 2007.

I don't think that this will be a problem as his name is well visible written in the side letter. The "MIKA" of golden drops I see more as an "gimmick" for the time when the listener is really looking at the cover, not for the time when he is looking in the CD-shelf for Mikas new CD.

:thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: You must be right :wink2: I love black and white pictures so I don't miss all the colours we were used to. Like Sara and other fans, I think Mika is a man now and has to show his evolution. I would have just chosen a different black and white picture.

I would have just chosen a different black and white picture.

It's not my favourite pic either (although I do like some aspects of it). But at least it looks like him. I think the pics with LICM were very misleading. Even looking back at them now it still looks like a stranger.

while i agree that the absence of cartoon characters and stage props doesn't make mika "ordinary", i still think (and hope) that his show will have more of the musical/theatre character again once he takes them to arenas. he once said it himself in an interview, a big arena show needs a real SHOW and not just someone standing there and singing. the argument that music alone should be enough for a concert doesn't count for me, it isn't classical music where you just sit back, close your eyes, listen, and clap after the song is over. i've seen it at the george michael gig in munich. actually i love his music, but really, the concert was boring. if i just want to listen to the music, i have the cd, but if i go to a concert, i expect a show. at the small gigs (like the ones in autumn) there isn't much needed for this, for example he can just do it by talking between songs and joking with the crowd, like he often does at small gigs. it also was like that at the summer gigs, he talked more, and he did have a few things, not just the flags on stage but also balloons and confetti. actually when i first went to a mika gig i thought this was what made it special, as i've never had balloons and confetti at a concert before. the newspapers describe it as a "children's birthday party", but i really wonder why, because meanwhile i've seen lots more gigs with balloons and confetti. and streamers. elton john for example. or, just recently, david guetta - there was red and white heart-shaped confetti, i really liked that. :wub2: no one would describe an elton john gig as a children's birthday party, despite all the stage props and confetti etc., so it can't be just that.

i agree though that the cartoon characters could add to that impression, i hope there won't be lollipop girls or big girls anymore. if it was up to me, he could get rid of lollipop altogether at the shows. :naughty: i also didn't get the mubbins in the last album, what they had to do with everything. :dunno: but for example i liked ida's queen of the night costume, there was nothing childish or ridiculous about that, it was just beautiful. :wub2:

in any case, i'm looking forward to what mika has in store for us, of course he can't please everyone but i have a feeling that i won't be disappointed, because he's so creative that he'll always come up with something new that i'll love. :wub2:

I can't believe we'll get to hear this album that we've been waiting for so long to hear in just a few more weeks :wub2: I'm really excited to hear "Stardust", "Popular Song" and "Overrated"! Not to mention the studio version of "Underwater"! :aah: Yay!

I don't see anything pretentious in this cover, for me above all it evokes simplicity (black and white, no t-shirt, not full-face) and through this, sincerity. And some kind of modesty (not sure if that's the word, I mean 'pudeur' in French) And the golden drops could be an allusion to creativity. (The only thing I don't really like is the title; especially the 'by Mika' :blink:)

I agree with all those who are saying it's a good step forward for Mika; he needed a change. Well he didn't 'need' it but it's normal to evolve, and for me this cover represents quite well the evolution we've witnessed recently. I remember back in 2009 when TBWKTM was released my mum told me 'why did he use the same cover as his previous album??'. She couldn't tell the difference. I really couldn't imagine him coming back again with the same kind of artwork. And maybe the album will gain more interest with this cover too.

I'm surprised by the release date for the UK. If it had to be a different one than for the rest of the world I would have thought it would be released earlier not later! What is their goal? (I'm not ironic, I'm really asking why you think they do that; I don't follow any other musician as closely as Mika, I've no idea how it's generally dealt with)

It's not my favourite pic either (although I do like some aspects of it). But at least it looks like him. I think the pics with LICM were very misleading. Even looking back at them now it still looks like a stranger.

i agree with that :teehee: the LICM pic are some of the few Mika pics i don't really like

while i agree that the absence of cartoon characters and stage props doesn't make mika "ordinary", i still think (and hope) that his show will have more of the musical/theatre character again once he takes them to arenas. he once said it himself in an interview, a big arena show needs a real SHOW and not just someone standing there and singing. the argument that music alone should be enough for a concert doesn't count for me, it isn't classical music where you just sit back, close your eyes, listen, and clap after the song is over. i've seen it at the george michael gig in munich. actually i love his music, but really, the concert was boring. if i just want to listen to the music, i have the cd, but if i go to a concert, i expect a show. at the small gigs (like the ones in autumn) there isn't much needed for this, for example he can just do it by talking between songs and joking with the crowd, like he often does at small gigs. it also was like that at the summer gigs, he talked more, and he did have a few things, not just the flags on stage but also balloons and confetti. actually when i first went to a mika gig i thought this was what made it special, as i've never had balloons and confetti at a concert before. the newspapers describe it as a "children's birthday party", but i really wonder why, because meanwhile i've seen lots more gigs with balloons and confetti. and streamers. elton john for example. or, just recently, david guetta - there was red and white heart-shaped confetti, i really liked that. :wub2: no one would describe an elton john gig as a children's birthday party, despite all the stage props and confetti etc., so it can't be just that.

much agreed :thumb_yello:

about the album cover, i like it well enough but i think he couldve found a happier medium between his old style and new, for the general public if nothing else.

I'm surprised by the release date for the UK. If it had to be a different one than for the rest of the world I would have thought it would be released earlier not later! What is their goal? (I'm not ironic, I'm really asking why you think they do that; I don't follow any other musician as closely as Mika, I've no idea how it's generally dealt with)

Hopefully UK public will wait and not illegally download the album.

i agree though that the cartoon characters could add to that impression, i hope there won't be lollipop girls or big girls anymore. if it was up to me, he could get rid of lollipop altogether at the shows. :naughty: i also didn't get the mubbins in the last album, what they had to do with everything. :dunno: but for example i liked ida's queen of the night costume, there was nothing childish or ridiculous about that, it was just beautiful. :wub2:

in any case, i'm looking forward to what mika has in store for us, of course he can't please everyone but i have a feeling that i won't be disappointed, because he's so creative that he'll always come up with something new that i'll love. :wub2:

It's a matter of personality & taste :naughty:

While i can appreciate a show like PDP, i never felt envious of the ones who were there. Seeing it on a DVD was good enough for me.

But, the show i wish i would have seen is the one from the Little noise session with the Kings Singers. :swoon: I wish that one was also available on DVD. (So i watch Jazzy's youtube vids alot :naughty:)

I saw Elton John a few times & the only prop he had was a seat the lifted up & down... that' was just perfect for me!

You like to get dressed up, wear costumes for Mika gigs... I like to go in as i am in real life.

I guess that would explain our different tastes :naughty: