Mika at NRJ Music Awards 2012 - 28/1/2012

Miro

Exactly. And if he ignores the rest of the world then there is no connection. This is what's been happening for 2 or 3 years now. :dunno: I mean obviously you have to go where the money is but he can tour all of France in less than a month. Why has he not performed in the UK or released an English song for YEARS?? It's nuts. Yelle spends more time in the US on one tour than Mika has during his entire career and she doesn't sing English songs at all. You put in little to nothing and that's exactly what you're going to get back.

As far as I remember he said that he will do tour in America till end of 2010. Maybe said tour in Europe from Feb-May, Asia in June, Festivals in July-August, and America tour after and finish all at the beginning of 2011? But that America tour seemed to be cancelled for some reason.... :blink: so finished the tour after festivals...

We tried that with Kick Ass, and R1 complained to the record company, I assume they thought it was them aggresively plugging it. They didn't understand the concept that Mika does have fans here, and that they want to hear him on the radio!

Yes, I remember, but there's a difference between requesting and: if u dun play mika then i will be very angry and i will kick your mothers sisturs dog.:naughty:

Oh that's sweet. I said 'vicious' because it's the phrase we use in French. Of course it's nice for French fans, but I'm also a fan without the French part so I want Mika to succeed everywhere.. If it works better in France than anywhere else I like it; but I like that it works elsewhere too!

The funny thing is that Yelle's last album was a flop here :teehee:

HERE you could hear Yelle on the radio... but not mika at all.... maybe GK in 2008 only :mf_rosetinted:

Yes, I remember, but there's a difference between requesting and: if u dun play mika then i will be very angry and i will kick your mothers sisturs dog.:naughty:

:roftl:

I don't think anyone was threatening when they asked for it to be played, just that it would be nice to hear him on the radio again and that we thought it was a good song. They get requests like this all the time and play the songs of other artists, why not him? That's what baffles and frustrates me.

....or the "music directors"...I don't know much about the inside things on the radios and I'm sure in Poland in the main commercial radio stations it must be similar..but we also have many radio stations (and not the small ones) who have "authors programms" mainly ...not even dj's but people who talk about and present music they like...I remember one of our most known radio presenters (and most respected) had a friend (she was Polish, she married a guy from Holland and she moved to Holland and worked in the radio there...and it was a tradition they always connected on Friday, or Saturday and talked about Polish and Dutch lists and hits. and this woman, Alina she looooved Mika and spoke about him very often,,,,unfortunately maybe the profile of this radio programm here was more into rock loving audience....anyway....and of course this "author's programms" have their fans but they're not masses...more like elite.... ( personally I'm happy that I discovered Mika and I'm not crazy about making him more popular....the only plus for me of him being more popular here is that he would come here more often, like "Hurts" for instance....)

Edited by Melisanda

I don't think anyone was threatening when they asked for it to be played, just that it would be nice to hear him on the radio again and that we thought it was a good song. They get requests like this all the time and play the songs of other artists, why not him? That's what baffles and frustrates me.

Surely you were polite, but don't underestimate over-excited fans. I'm sure many of those joined in as well.

It's because behind the scenes of every radio station on this planet there are deals and contracts in place between stations and record companies. Be it exclusive rights to the first air play of every pop tart from X Factor's songs, to sponsorship of events/competitions for increased rotation.

All stations have very specific relationships with record labels, which often means that requests can fall on deaf ears.

It looks like in the UK, as soon as you had a little bit of a failure in your career, or something that didn't go very well, you can easily be forgotten and/or laughed at. It's the feeling I had about musicians when I lived there.. I felt that all the nation could get overexcited about something new but at the same time throw them in the bin when the excitement had gone..

It looks like in the UK, as soon as you had a little bit of a failure in your career, or something that didn't go very well, you can easily be forgotten and/or laughed at. It's the feeling I had about musicians when I lived there.. I felt that all the nation could get overexcited about something new but at the same time throw them in the bin when the excitement had gone..

Yes, this is how it feels. And it is very frustrating:aah:

to me uk is extremely competetive....and it happens like you described it but if the artist has his 5 minutes and wins the audience that loves him the audience will remember....Mika sells tours in uk and there are always people who will come to see him. he doesn't have to be on the radio all the time. but I know it 's more like...temporary....and maybe new people/fans are needed....but.....

and of course there is always this "underground" current....the internet...the market of people listening to the music despite radio stations and meanstreams....that's how Mika appeared ....

I predict he will have a long and fruitfull worldwide career if he wants to .... in the fields he turns into because he is one in a milion , he is respected by the best and he has his whole life ahead...

Edited by Melisanda

All stations have very specific relationships with record labels, which often means that requests can fall on deaf ears.

I think Mika's label and Universal were very much behind Mika when We Are Golden was released but it still didn't get enough airplay. There was someone - I think at Universal in the US - who was salivating at the idea that Mika was selling millions of copies of LICM in Europe and he could get a piece of the action in the states when TBWKTM was released.

Mika specifically asked fans to contact the radio stations when WAG didn't take off. I think he was surprised that Capital Radio, for instance would not play him because they were huge supporters in 2007 (that's how I discovered Mika myself).

I have been thinking about this for a few months. Maybe it's time to start coordinating efforts? The last time it seemed fans were trying to start a campaign after the horse had left the barn if you know what I mean. The first single from the album needs to get on the radio.

[YOUTUBE]ekPQnzO4vFY[/YOUTUBE]

same here in hong kong :blink:

and i remembered a Universal Hong Kong staff told us Mika got lots of promotion and supports here when he was still fresh and just kicked off his career with LICM. She said it's already become difficult for the 2nd time he came here (the time when he had his first public gig in hk).

promotion and relevant events/contests are not well-known by people here, imo their promotion are quite inefficient... there was a 'contest' of the first 10 ppl who email the organiser will get a chance to the M&G after the gig. the contest was announced the day before i recognised it (and shame, i wouldnt hv known this if it wasnt a foreign MFCer posting it), then few of us emailed the organiser and still won the contest. you can imagine how the promotion for Mika is like here after the first time he came...

and the most recent time is even worse imo... i kinda feel the promotion is partly relying on the Tofu thing :dunno:

...besides I think ...why in France? because French perceive Mika as theirs..as a French guy who went to uk..and made worldwide career.

In uk Mika is perceived a bit as a 'stranger" but it's only my personal feelings and only a generalization of course!!!!!!!

but looking at the french music market (or culture) now and ..it's also only my feelings more like a descriptive language and don't get hurt or anything please (you had Edith Piaf and Barbara and many more) ...I think Mika is more "bloody" , more hardcore ...he is not mild....he belongs to hot blooded people in the world (and in France). He has a "french" touch in his soul but he is much more....

I think Mika's label and Universal were very much behind Mika when We Are Golden was released but it still didn't get enough airplay. There was someone - I think at Universal in the US - who was salivating at the idea that Mika was selling millions of copies of LICM in Europe and he could get a piece of the action in the states when TBWKTM was released.

Mika specifically asked fans to contact the radio stations when WAG didn't take off. I think he was surprised that Capital Radio, for instance would not play him because they were huge supporters in 2007 (that's how I discovered Mika myself).

I have been thinking about this for a few months. Maybe it's time to start coordinating efforts? The last time it seemed fans were trying to start a campaign after the horse had left the barn if you know what I mean. The first single from the album needs to get on the radio.

I agree. I think if we want to help him, we need an effective promotion campaign, which won't piss off radio stations:naughty:

Elle Me Dit was never released in the UK or US and perhaps not Australia either? I think the only reason it was released in Canada was because of our francophone population and wouldn't have been if we were an entirely English speaking country.

that's exactly why... otherwise, it probably wouldn't have been available on itunes

It's because behind the scenes of every radio station on this planet there are deals and contracts in place between stations and record companies. Be it exclusive rights to the first air play of every pop tart from X Factor's songs, to sponsorship of events/competitions for increased rotation.

that sounds right.

i remember when WAG came out, i tried and tried to get an english radio station to play it. i had spoken a few times with one of the DJs who liked Mika & she said to me "i'd love to play it, but the demand isn't there" ... so someone else was choosing the songs, not her. in 2007, that same english radio station had played songs from LICM. They also had interviews on air with Mika... One was over the phone i believe.

Also in 2009, there was 1 hour where you could ask for requests... i asked for WAG & i got GK instead :naughty:

And yet, that same radio station was advertising the TBWKTM CD & the Montreal concert! You'd think they would have played a few songs :dunno:

Now French radio stations played Mika & advertized him.

BUT... i also remember when he was here in 2009, Mika did NOT do any interviews with english radio stations... only the french ones.

As far as I know, over here he does do quite a bit of promo, considering we are only just a small country. When TBWKTM was released, he did one major tv show, came back 2 months later to do another tv show (and screwed up:naughty:) a showcase for the radio station and several interviews with other radio stations and newspapers/magazines. However, WAG peaked at 22 in the charts I believe, while Relax with not that much promotion was number 1 for weeks. Still, his gigs sell out within 1 to 3 days here. It's very weird, although I am determined to help some more with the promotion when the new album is released.

I think we should, maybe this time it'll work:thumb_yello:

I agree. I think if we want to help him, we need an effective promotion campaign, which won't piss off radio stations:naughty:

Well I think what she mentions is what is going to work/not piss people off. Clicking on the links that are there for the purposes of requesting or voting for songs. And not, for instance, emailing individual DJs and harassing them about Mika.

This seemed to be effective in getting some airplay in Montreal because EMD had not even been released in Canada and even a couple of months ago Mika had no idea it was being played on radio here. I don't know how much Universal could have been behind it getting into the top 7 at 7 lists when it wasn't even released here.