Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

well...this is what will happen anyway:

So, the news you have all been waiting for... Mika's third album, "The Origin of Love," will be released internationally on September 16th 2012, preceded by single, "Celebrate" featuring Pharrell Williams.

“This single is what happens when you combine a 22 year old you find online, Fryars, with an extra-planetary Nick Littlemore and Pharrell Williams!” says Mika of ‘Celebrate’. “Written by me, Pharrell and Fryars and produced by Nick, this kind of collaboration is only possible when everyone throws themselves into it wanting to have fun and without any ego. This collective and open attitude was at the heart of ‘The Origin Of Love’. It’s an album about crazy love songs and tolerance. It was recorded in Miami and London but mostly in Fryars' north London bedroom studio!”

Featuring collaborations with Pharrell Williams, Empire of the Sun, Benny Benassi, William Orbit, Klas Ahlund (Robyn 'Body Talk) and Greg Wells (Adele) the album is a glorious follow-up to multi-million selling, "Life in Cartoon Motion," and, "The Boy Who Knew Too Much," that went Gold or Platinum in 32 countries

New songs will be debuted live at Lovebox tomorrow, festivals around the world throughout the summer and at Mika's London headline show at legendary club Heaven on 26th July.

I think it's not the same with EMD and Celebrate, because EMD is in French and wasn't marketed in the UK or other countries. This song was only for the French market.

But you can they "hello, I'm still here and have great new songs" in two different ways: "Hello, look that's my new single Celebrate, I hope you will play it" or "Hello, look that's my new single Celebrate, it's already number one in France". And I think the last one is much more effective ;)

But celebrate is only released in France as well!

No I don't think so, it would have been much more effective if he came and said: "Hello, look that's my new single Celebrate, it's already number one in UK" then I'm pretty sure they would have played it on the radio. I'm in fact a bit scared that the release in France will have the opposite effect and radio station won't play it because it will be too associate with France.

Yes, I'm wondering if they're trying it out in France. But I do think it would do well there. I'm wondering though, if they're guaging reactions to Celebrate, in case they decide to put out a different song.

But it's all so confusing, and if it's confusing for us, what must it be like for Mika! If I was him I wouldn't hardly know what day it is.

I suggested on the Lovebox gig thread (although I won't be there) that maybe fans could hold up the two letters O and K, or put them on a poster to encourage him. Because he must be wondering how the UK are taking the fact that the song won't be out yet, and if I was him, I'd be worried about it.

But I do think he should tell us what's going on. We're not going to think less of him. No matter what we, as individuals, think of one song, or the other song. Whether we like one, and are not quite as keen on the other, what we all agree on is that we love Mika, and want him to know that and trust us about that.

I think that's a great idea to show him that we and UK like him and his song, not only France! No, I think if he explained everything the "relationship" between him and the fans would be much better/easier, to keep quite I think would get the opposite effect and fans getting irritated 'cause they won't be a part of it and they feel like Mika have abandon them.

well...this is what will happen anyway:

So, the news you have all been waiting for... Mika's third album, "The Origin of Love," will be released internationally on September 16th 2012, preceded by single, "Celebrate" featuring Pharrell Williams.

Where's the single and what happened with before July and summer?

Id love to believe that there´s a shadow behind Mika which tries to ruin his career, but in the real world out there, money is the key. Sometimes people know how to do the right movements to become rich, but sometimes they fail. I can´t believe that UK is deliberately not playing Mika´s songs anymore... the same way I can´t believe that presenters in Radio Stations are not playing Celebrate just cause it´s Mika´s and they think it´s not cool... maybe I´m wrong here and UK works in a different way that Spain does. But here, every radio station has his own facebook account, twitter account etc. And I remember talking in Europa FM´s fb wall last year about Mika, asking for his songs, and they played it. If a song is a f*cking hit, presenters don´t care if it´s Mika´s, Adele´s o Queen Elizabeth´s. It´s a f*cking hit, and they will play it cause their incomes come from the advertisements, and people wants to listen to hits, so, the more hits, the more listeners... the more listeners, the more people listening to the advertisements...

Anyway, that´s what happens in Spain. I dont want to believe that there´s a conspiracy against Mika, cause, be honest... he is not Michael Jackson... he has a really consolidated fanbase, but nothing else...

Maybe nor MYH nor Celebrate are what the world is needing now even if we love those. In my case, I don´t hate any of them, but they are not GK either.

I only hope that... oh well, I only hope we are not overrating Mika. Maybe being a Super Star is not what he deserves... Of course this is not a feeling but a worry. We are all biased... we think he is the best, he is the most talented guy in the world... but the rest of the world doesn´t think the same...

Edited by basicamenteyo

@basicamenteyo

I share your point of view.

Are you worried too?? Sometimes when I´ve tried to make my friends listen to Mika´s songs, they all end up like "oh well, it´s a forgettable song, I don´t know why you find him that amazing". And it happens much too soon. Maybe the kind of music he does only appeals to us, I mean, to certain people only instead of the whole mass...

Anyway... I do think he is talented, and I do know he is the best performer ever (and now that MJ is dead, Mika is the only one) and maybe he won´t become the New King of Pop as they called him here in Spain, but if he is fair to his music (AND I MEAN, TO HIS MUSIC, NOT TO WHAT THE MAINSTREAM WANTS FROM HIM) he will keep his fanbase, and it´ll let him keep on touring the world forever, selling albums even if any of the songs is a hit etc etc...

But celebrate is only released in France as well!

As I understand it, it is released in France first but will be released in the UK and other countries later.

No I don't think so, it would have been much more effective if he came and said: "Hello, look that's my new single Celebrate, it's already number one in UK" then I'm pretty sure they would have played it on the radio.

Yes, you are absolutely right. But what if he releases Celebrate in the UK first and it becomes a flop? And for the reasons I mentioned I think it isn't unlikely (sadly, radio stations are silly :sneaky2:). And then Mika woudn't have any chance anymore for airplay in other countries. No one wants to play a song that flopped.

Celebrate becoming a hit is much more likely to happen in France. In France you can expect it, in UK you have to hope for it.

If a song is a f*cking hit, presenters don´t care if it´s Mika´s, Adele´s o Queen Elizabeth´s. It´s a f*cking hit, and they will play it cause their incomes come from the advertisements, and people wants to listen to hits, so, the more hits, the more listeners... the more listeners, the more people listening to the advertisements...

That's what I mean. If they see it's already a hit in France they have a proof that "Celebrate" has hit-potential, so they will give the song more probably a chance.

Id love to believe that there´s a shadow behind Mika which tries to ruin his career, but in the real world out there, money is the key. Sometimes people know how to do the right movements to become rich, but sometimes they fail. I can´t believe that UK is deliberately not playing Mika´s songs anymore... the same way I can´t believe that presenters in Radio Stations are not playing Celebrate just cause it´s Mika´s and they think it´s not cool... maybe I´m wrong here and UK works in a different way that Spain does. But here, every radio station has his own facebook account, twitter account etc. And I remember talking in Europa FM´s fb wall last year about Mika, asking for his songs, and they played it. If a song is a f*cking hit, presenters don´t care if it´s Mika´s, Adele´s o Queen Elizabeth´s. It´s a f*cking hit, and they will play it cause their incomes come from the advertisements, and people wants to listen to hits, so, the more hits, the more listeners... the more listeners, the more people listening to the advertisements...

Anyway, that´s what happens in Spain. I dont want to believe that there´s a conspiracy against Mika, cause, be honest... he is not Michael Jackson... he has a really consolidated fanbase, but nothing else...

Maybe nor MYH nor Celebrate are what the world is needing now even if we love those. In my case, I don´t hate any of them, but they are not GK either.

Are there a conspiracy? People are just starting to wonder why he has spent so much time with France. and when Mika himself aren't saying anything you have to make your own theories.

The reason why they don't play it is because it isn't released in the UK yet, or am I wrong?

:teehee:yes, we still miss a little detail: when is Celebrate going to be released to all us poor mortals outside France?

It's not a little detail it's a big one, and I want to know now!

Are there a conspiracy? People are just starting to wonder why he has spent so much time with France. and when Mika himself aren't saying anything you have to make your own theories.

The reason why they don't play it is because it isn't released in the UK yet, or am I wrong?

It's not a little detail it's a big one, and I want to know now!

Be sure that Mika never says "no" to a contract. If he hasn´t been aired in UK, or if he hasn´t toured there, it´s just cause NO ONE in the UK hired him. It´s not his fault... A man who is up to do corporate gigs where 50yo women lead on him, it´s up to play at festivals or gigs all around the world........if he is hired. Maybe France likes to think Mika is "french" and they love him so much and that´s why he gets more promo and air there. Nothing else. If Mika is out of UK or US its just cause no one there wants to play his music. And it´s just a matter of taste.... IMO

when Mika himself aren't saying anything you have to make your own theories.

And that, my friends, is why we have 3.6 million posts on MFC. Mika is never clear about anything (at least not immediately) and we have to talk about it for days, months or years until we find out the truth. :pinkbow:

I can´t believe that presenters in Radio Stations are not playing Celebrate just cause it´s Mika´s and they think it´s not cool...

It's not radio stations who think Mika is not 'cool' but listeners.

The playlist system itself does not work the same way in every country, btw. In some countries record companies finance airplay and it is them making a decision which of their artists they prioritize to 'push'.

Edited by suzie

I do think it odd that it is this French record label (Barclay) releasing it. I wonder if he is still signed with Island Records at all....

I fear I'll feel your pain about one now :roftl: Let's see / hear. :teehee:

This is from the Belgian charts site:

http://www.ultratop.be/nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Mika+feat%2E+Pharrell+Williams&titel=Celebrate&cat=s

MIKA FEAT. PHARRELL WILLIAMS - CELEBRATE (NUMMER)

Jaar: 2012

Muziek/Tekst: Pharrell Williams - Mika - Ben Garrett

Producer: Peter Hayes - Nick Littlemore

TRACKS

Promo - Digital Island 00602537098538 (UMG) / EAN 0602537098538 11/06/2012

So I think it's safe to say he's still with Island... :thumb_yello:

AND what's even better... Celebrate is now for sale in the Belgian version of Itunes as well!!!!!!! :yay:http://itunes.apple.com/be/album/celebrate-feat.-pharrell-williams/id535706462?i=535706463&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

So maybe it's available for other countries too already, and if not it won't be long I guess :D

It's not radio stations who think Mika is not 'cool' but listeners.

Then, if it´s just a matter of taste, and NO ONE in UK likes Mika... wow... it´s hard... That´s why I say that maybe Mika is not as wondrous as we may think and that´s why no one but us love him... maybe he had a great day of inspiration when he wrote GK and that inspiration never appeared again... (I think he has more hits apart from GK, but again, I´m biased) and the kind of music he does is not appealing anyone else but hardcore fans :dunno:

As I understand it, it is released in France first but will be released in the UK and other countries later.

Yes, you are absolutely right. But what if he releases Celebrate in the UK first and it becomes a flop? And for the reasons I mentioned I think it isn't unlikely (sadly, radio stations are silly :sneaky2:). And then Mika woudn't have any chance anymore for airplay in other countries. No one wants to play a song that flopped.

Celebrate becoming a hit is much more likely to happen in France. In France you can expect it, in UK you have to hope for it.

I think it should be released at all countries the same time, I'm sicking tired of waiting just because France gets everything first. :sneaky2:

I haven't thought of that, you have a point, but just because it becomes a hit in France it doesn't mean it will become a hit in the rest of Europe. I think Mika is playing far to safe, he wanted to refresh himself and then you need to take risks. He should have released Celebrate in the UK first and if it flops it flops, but then it wouldn't have worked in the rest of Europe anyway because they are too influence from of the UK music industry, so it's almost he same market.

The more I think of it the more certain I am, if Mika doesn't release Celebrate in the rest of the world soon, I don't think it will be played on Swedish radio at all...

http://www.ultratop.be/nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Mika+feat%2E+Pharrell+Williams&titel=Celebrate&cat=s

AND what's even better... Celebrate is now for sale in the Belgian version of Itunes as well!!!!!!! :yay:http://itunes.apple.com/be/album/celebrate-feat.-pharrell-williams/id535706462?i=535706463&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Oh that's good to hear. :thumb_yello:

Then, if it´s just a matter of taste, and NO ONE in UK likes Mika... wow... it´s hard... That´s why I say that maybe Mika is not as wondrous as we may think and that´s why no one but us love him... maybe he had a great day of inspiration when he wrote GK and that inspiration never appeared again... (I think he has more hits apart from GK, but again, I´m biased) and the kind of music he does is not appealing anyone else but hardcore fans :dunno:

So what is your conclusion then? Why don't they play him in the UK? Is it because his songs are not great or due to cultural differences they only appeal to the French and the Spanish? I think you have argued for both. :dunno:

So maybe it's available for other countries too already, and if not it won't be long I guess :D

Lol you cant get it here (yet) - Well not surprised!

I get your point! but i will be played in UK... someday!

I dont think there is no one in UK there like him ;)

I don't think fans need to be "hardcore". Mika sold 8 million records so he has plenty of fans of his music. People who thought enough of it to buy an entire album even if they don't follow his every move. But listeners of top 40 radio in the US, for example, are not necessarily the same demographic as people who buy Mika's albums.

I mean if Queen came out today they'd never get on top 40 radio either, that doesn't mean that there are only a few people in the world who think Queen's music is amazing. Top 40 radio is just a very narrow genre and especially so in 2012. In the 1970s every great and popular song got on top 40 radio, from Led Zeppelin to the Carpenters. But right now everyone just wants to hear autotuned formulaic pop featuring rappers with the occasional singer/songwriter thrown in like Adele singing about love and heartbreak.

Mika could have gone the latter route I suppose but I think he really likes super poppy and electronic music so this is what we're getting.

Oh that's good to hear. :thumb_yello:

So what is your conclusion then? Why don't they play him in the UK? Is it because his songs are not great or due to cultural differences they only appeal to the French and the Spanish? I think you have argued for both. :dunno:

Sadly my conclusion is that we are biased and Mika is not that amazing anymore. He had a great moment with GK and that´s all. If Celebrate or MYH is the best he can throw in... ok... then, that´s what we get.

I get your point! but i will be played in UK... someday!

I dont think there is no one in UK there like him ;)

Hope so.

I don't think fans need to be "hardcore". Mika sold 8 million records so he has plenty of fans of his music. People who thought enough of it to buy an entire album even if they don't follow his every move. But listeners of top 40 radio in the US, for example, are not necessarily the same demographic as people who buy Mika's albums.

I mean if Queen came out today they'd never get on top 40 radio either, that doesn't mean that there are only a few people in the world who think Queen's music is amazing. Top 40 radio is just a very narrow genre and especially so in 2012. In the 1970s every great and popular song got on top 40 radio, from Led Zeppelin to the Carpenters. But right now everyone just wants to hear autotuned formulaic pop featuring rappers with the occasional singer/songwriter thrown in like Adele singing about love and heartbreak.

Mika could have gone the latter route I suppose but I think he really likes super poppy and electronic music so this is what we're getting.

No, he doesn´t need hardcore fans if he has something like GK again. But if not, as I told Suzie few lines ago, if all he has for all those people who are not following his every steps is Celebrate... I sense he is not selling 8 millions of copies anymore.... :tears:

ok for the US Christine...but the UK? :blink:

I don't really know what's going on in the UK at the moment because I don't listen to the radio anymore. But it does seem like radio has changed a lot since 2006/7. Capital Radio was one of Mika's biggest supporters (that's how I discovered him) but they switched up their format before TBWKTM came out and wouldn't play WAG at all.

Sadly my conclusion is that we are biased and Mika is not that amazing anymore. He had a great moment with GK and that´s all. If Celebrate or MYH is the best he can throw in... ok... then, that´s what we get.

Hope so.

No, he doesn´t need hardcore fans if he has something like GK again. But if not, as I told Suzie few lines ago, if all he has for all those people who are not following his every steps is Celebrate... I sense he is not selling 8 millions of copies anymore.... :tears:

Dont you think he maybe will catch a new bunch of people there maybe didnt like GK but like celebrate or MYH?