Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

And that, my friends, is why we have 3.6 million posts on MFC. Mika is never clear about anything (at least not immediately) and we have to talk about it for days, months or years until we find out the truth. :pinkbow:

3.6 million posts! :shocked: That's a lot! People really like to discuss (me included) :roftl:

AND what's even better... Celebrate is now for sale in the Belgian version of Itunes as well!!!!!!! :yay:http://itunes.apple.com/be/album/celebrate-feat.-pharrell-williams/id535706462?i=535706463&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

So maybe it's available for other countries too already, and if not it won't be long I guess :D

Let's hope, so it isn't only released in the French speaking countries.

Be sure that Mika never says "no" to a contract. If he hasn´t been aired in UK, or if he hasn´t toured there, it´s just cause NO ONE in the UK hired him. It´s not his fault... A man who is up to do corporate gigs where 50yo women lead on him, it´s up to play at festivals or gigs all around the world........if he is hired. Maybe France likes to think Mika is "french" and they love him so much and that´s why he gets more promo and air there. Nothing else. If Mika is out of UK or US its just cause no one there wants to play his music. And it´s just a matter of taste.... IMO

Well, maybe but he haven't come up with something new for over 3 years (except EMD) and the most radio channels only play new, "fresh" music so I think that's why he isn't played on the radio channels. Rihanna is played a lot because she releases like one single every month, so she's always "new" and when people hear her on the radio a lot they start liking hear and by her albums then the radios play her songs even more because they know a lot of people like her and then it goes on and on.

I think of it like a diagram.

The x-axis: the time

the y-axis: the recognition/people listening to the song

The red line: over the song is played on the radio, under it's not.

I know the diagram is really bad, but I hope you get my point :aah:

post-24769-142983697448_thumb.jpg

Sadly my conclusion is that we are biased and Mika is not that amazing anymore. He had a great moment with GK and that´s all. If Celebrate or MYH is the best he can throw in... ok... then, that´s what we get.

I always looked at Mika in terms of his potential rather than believing all the propaganda about him being an original genius who refused to conform. People don't come out nowhere and get a #1 song by accident. :naughty:

I thought if he didn't become a superstar that perhaps he would grow into an even better songwriter and have the kind of career and universal respect that Rufus Wainwright has. But now I really don't think that's going to happen, at least not any time soon. :naughty:

On the other hand Mika has turned into a fantastic performer. The first time I saw him I could have never imagined the amazing energy and extraordinary charisma he would put into his later shows. For me it's a fair tradeoff and I can't believe that anyone who has seen Mika's show at a festival or wherever doesn't walk away impressed.

3.6 million posts! :shocked: That's a lot! People really like to discuss (me included) :roftl:

Well, maybe but he haven't come up with something new for over 3 years (except EMD) and the most radio channels only play new, "fresh" music so I think that's why he isn't played on the radio channels. Rihanna is played a lot because she releases like one single every month, so she's always "new" and when people hear her on the radio a lot they start liking hear and by her albums then the radios play her songs even more because they know a lot of people like her and then it goes on and on.

I think of it like a diagram.

The x-axis: the time

the y-axis: the recognition/people listening to the song

The red line: over the song is played on the radio, under it's not.

I know the diagram is really bad, but I hope you get my point :aah:

Yes, I get the diagram, but I don´t agree. At least that´s not happening here... We have Anastacia, Enrique and Queen being played every f*cking day in radio stations and they are not getting a single every month... Sometimes, I must admit, they play Relax and Rain too. But this is Spain and for what I hear, it´s not happening in many of Europe countries....

I always looked at Mika in terms of his potential rather than believing all the propaganda about him being an original genius who refused to conform. People don't come out nowhere and get a #1 song by accident. :naughty:

I thought if he didn't become a superstar that perhaps he would grow into an even better songwriter and have the kind of career and universal respect that Rufus Wainwright has. But now I really don't think that's going to happen, at least not any time soon. :naughty:

On the other hand Mika has turned into a fantastic performer. The first time I saw him I could have never imagined the amazing energy and extraordinary charisma he would put into his later shows. For me it's a fair tradeoff and I can't believe that anyone who has seen Mika's show at a festival or wherever doesn't walk away impressed.

Yes, and we agree here. Mika is the best performer ever (if MJ lets me say that). But sadly, he needs a hit so people want to go see him live.

Seriously... 3 years and all we get is Celebrate?? I don´t dislike the song, and I´m gonna encourage him ever on twitter and stuff... but... I really expected a f*cking off song as he once said...

The only think I know is that I rather listen to GK. If things are going to change that much... wow... I don´t know...

If I had to be honest I don't think GK is Mika's best song and I didn't start to like him because of that song.

I don't think GK became number one in so many countries because it was an amazing song, I think it became number one because it was different just like Euphoria won esc because it was different. But now people want to hear songs like Whistle by Flo Rida that's why Mika isn't played on the radio.

After I've heard Celebrate MYH and EMD I'm super excited about the album, I really am I like the songs a lot and I think TOOL will be my favorite album. :teehee:

Belgium's multilingual. I speak Dutch. Elle me dit however was a top ten hit over here (the flemish part) as well so....

I wouldn't understand if they didn't release celebrate in the uk... So I'm just thinking they'll release it in a few days as well :dunno: Maybe I'm naive? I just don't see a reason why they wouldn't.

True story. Someone once told me they never understood what I liked about Mika... Until they were at a festival where he happened to be playing... They totally got it then :thumb_yello:

If I had to be honest I don't think GK is Mika's best song and I didn't start to like him because of that song.

I don't think GK became number one in so many countries because it was an amazing song, I think it became number one because it was different just like Euphoria won esc because it was different. But now people want to hear songs like Whistle by Flo Rida that's why Mika isn't played on the radio.

After I've heard Celebrate MYH and EMD I'm super excited about the album, I really am I like the songs a lot and I think TOOL will be my favorite album. :teehee:

it´s cause it´s all a matter of taste. You like things that I don´t, etc... but if 8 millions people bought LICM and only 4 millions bought TBWKTM, it means that more people liked GK rather than WAG... and it´s not an opinion, it´s a fact. Let´s see what happens with TOOL but I have my expectatives in a real low place right now...

Yes, I get the diagram, but I don´t agree. At least that´s not happening here... We have Anastacia, Enrique and Queen being played every f*cking day in radio stations and they are not getting a single every month... Sometimes, I must admit, they play Relax and Rain too. But this is Spain and for what I hear, it´s not happening in many of Europe countries....

Good :aah: Well they aren't played on the biggest radio stations in Sweden, they only play new music from the US and the UK. You can say that when a song isn't popular over there anymore it will be played on Swedish radio, and then the songs are played over and over and over again until you want to throw the radio out of the window and scream.

The only old songs I hear are when I listen to the radio stations that have specialized themselves to play old song from the 80's and 90's. I heard GK a couple of months ago and that was the first time in 4 years!

it´s cause it´s all a matter of taste. You like things that I don´t, etc... but if 8 millions people bought LICM and only 4 millions bought TBWKTM, it means that more people liked GK rather than WAG... and it´s not an opinion, it´s a fact. Let´s see what happens with TOOL but I have my expectatives in a real low place right now...

Many singers sell more at their first album! because it's new and everyboby wants it! It's not just because it's mika!

That's also a fact :bleh:

So maybe it's available for other countries too already, and if not it won't be long I guess :D

I don't know why I looked because I knew it wouldn't be there, but I

looked on US iTunes and of course it wasn't there. :wink2:

I don't expect to see it there for a while, either.

Although I did notice that they finally have Vive le Vent. :naughty:

I think it should be released at all countries the same time, I'm sicking tired of waiting just because France gets everything first. :sneaky2:

:lmfao: So tell us how you really feel! LOL!

And I must say that you've expressed the feelings of a lot of MFCers in

this one sentence! :thumb_yello:

I mean if Queen came out today they'd never get on top 40 radio either, that doesn't mean that there are only a few people in the world who think Queen's music is amazing. Top 40 radio is just a very narrow genre and especially so in 2012. In the 1970s every great and popular song got on top 40 radio, from Led Zeppelin to the Carpenters. But right now everyone just wants to hear autotuned formulaic pop featuring rappers with the occasional singer/songwriter thrown in like Adele singing about love and heartbreak.

Mika could have gone the latter route I suppose but I think he really likes super poppy and electronic music so this is what we're getting.

I sometimes feel that there is no need for me to even think about such things as I can always read you summing it up so well in the end :teehee:

Sadly my conclusion is that we are biased and Mika is not that amazing anymore. He had a great moment with GK and that´s all. If Celebrate or MYH is the best he can throw in... ok... then, that´s what we get.

Oh no, Mika has not changed, he is just stuck in terms of direction.

He has talent in writing catchy tunes (I can't recall any song from him that does not have a good melody) and also in identifying what sounds best. He can go too over-the-top and has a problem with the lyrics occasionally but he can always have people around him to guide and inspire him. He may have a problem selecting or changing them though.

I actually thought (until I heard Celebrate) that he is on the right track as the people he's been working with on this album are talented and know exactly what they are doing. Celebrate is a good song, well-crafted and all, but certain things in it, like Pharrell Williams' part, sound totally unnecessary to me and they are clearly just there to make the song 'sellable'. That short 'rap' part itself may sound perfectly acceptable and cool in Pharrell's own song due to the different cultural backgrounds and style of music but when I hear it in a Mika song, I can't help thinking that it simply sounds 'cheap'.

All in all, the new album may still turn out to sound great but if I consider these strage strategies I have witnessed lately I do worry if the record company, Mika and people around him know what they are doing.

I personally don't think they can sell Mika to the masses by copying recent production formulas as Mika will always be "the odd one out" in the music world. Once they identify the 'niche' market he appeals to, they'll be on the right track and until then they are just confusing fans.

I don't know why I looked because I knew it wouldn't be there, but I

looked on US iTunes and of course it wasn't there. :wink2:

I don't expect to see it there for a while, either.

Although I did notice that they finally have Vive le Vent. :naughty:

:lmfao: Nice!! Fancy having an early christmas party, deb? :newyear:

Yeah, but I think "only" 4 millions bought TBWKTM because it wasn't something new and then the song's weren't played on the radio a lot. So the non fans didn't know it existed. But Mika has said that TOOL will be different, and I hope so because that's what it takes to be played on the radio.

And so what if he's not played on the radio as long as I like his music I'm happy! :teehee:

Belgium's multilingual. I speak Dutch. Elle me dit however was a top ten hit over here (the flemish part) as well so....

I wouldn't understand if they didn't release celebrate in the uk... So I'm just thinking they'll release it in a few days as well :dunno: Maybe I'm naive? I just don't see a reason why they wouldn't.

Yeah but there are people in Belgium that speak French, or am I wrong?

Me neither, I'm hopeing for the 18th because that was the original release date, but I don't know :dunno:

:lmfao: So tell us how you really feel! LOL!

And I must say that you've expressed the feelings of a lot of MFCers in

this one sentence! :thumb_yello:

Like screaming and destroying things but as the good girl and swede I am I suppress my feelings and write angry comments on the Internet :lmfao:

Thank you! :aah:

I sometimes feel that there is no need for me to even think about such things as I can always read you summing it up so well in the end :teehee:

He has talent in writing catchy tunes (I can't recall any song from him that does not have a good melody) and also in identifying what sounds best. He can go too over-the-top and has a problem with the lyrics occasionally but he can always have people around him to guide and inspire him. He may have a problem selecting or changing them though.

I actually thought (until I heard Celebrate) that he is on the right track as the people he's been working with on this album are talented and know exactly what they are doing. Celebrate is a good song, well-crafted and all, but certain things in it, like Pharrell Williams' part, sound totally unnecessary to me and they are clearly just there to make the song 'sellable'. That short 'rap' part itself may sound perfectly acceptable and cool in Pharrell's own song due to the different cultural backgrounds and style of music but when I hear it in a Mika song, I can't help thinking that it simply sounds 'cheap'.

All in all, the new album may still turn out to sound great but if I consider these strage strategies I have witnessed lately I do worry if the record company, Mika and people around him know what they are doing.

I personally don't think they can sell Mika to the masses by copying recent production formulas as Mika will always be "the odd one out" in the music world. Once they identify the 'niche' market he appeals to, they'll be on the right track and until then they are just confusing fans.

Totally agree........

I love the new single Celebrate but those parts are kind of dark side to me. To me Celebrate got 'lost' somewhere between 'Mika-ish' and 'current trend'.. when I heard this song for the first time, after i heard first 1 minute I was like 'This man did it again!!:swoon:' but after pharrell's part I was like :blink: and this song seemed like going strange way and...... ends. Haha. It started with Perfect tune and flow...and few minutes after , it got lost where to go.. That's how I felt actually...but... I love this song and I love Make you happy. I always thought Mika is the singer who can make one 'Album' a huge.. better than doing just one 'Hit Song' , so...I'll wait... :aah: I loved HE much more than GK, GGG much more than WAG.

Edited by Yuna

I don't agree about Pharrell Suzie, to me his rap sounds elegantly and stylishly integrated into the song, and adds something to its vibe

Even though I kinda also don't like Pharell his participation is been reduced to a minimum so I can tolerate him. :teehee:

I think Mika's quite aware of the fact that his voice doesn't click that much with some rappers but in this particular song it's been done with style Imo. :wink2:

:thumb_yello: Edited by mari62

Yeah but there are people in Belgium that speak French, or am I wrong?

Me neither, I'm hopeing for the 18th because that was the original release date, but I don't know :dunno:

Yes. (the charts are seperate though, everything is ... even eurovision, heck, even the traffic rules believe it or not!) The point I was trying to make by comparing with EMD is that I would have understand it if they had released that song only in countries where they spoke french. But that I wouldn't understand why they would do this with Celebrate since 1. it isn't in French and 2. he's still signed with island :dunno:

So I'll just hope they release it in the other countries soon too! :thumb_yello:

Yes. (the charts are seperate though, everything is ... even eurovision, heck, even the traffic rules believe it or not!) The point I was trying to make by comparing with EMD is that I would have understand it if they had released that song only in countries where they spoke french. But that I wouldn't understand why they would do this with Celebrate since 1. it isn't in French and 2. he's still signed with island :dunno:

So I'll just hope they release it in the other countries soon too! :thumb_yello:

The traffic rules, oh :blink:

Oh, I understand and yeah that wouldn't make sense.

Hopefully the rumor that Celebrate will be released later this year in UK is false :thumb_yello:

I really like the song, and I also realise it's a catchy song with comercial purposes. but I think he's now releasing those songs because he has to be commercia first to sell his album. for us, as we fans who follow him everywhere in every step of his career, we see Mika's songs in a different way, deeper, because we know what he's capable of, but right now, with a new album, he needs promotion to sell it, and perhaps the deeper songs are not the ones which sell...so I think we shouldn't be so worried right now, and perhaps we need to wait till the album comes out! :wink2:

According to this Swedish site, which claims to have a press Release from Universal music Sweden, Celebrate will be released this Monday the 18th of June. Don't know if it's accurate but I hope so! ;D

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressroom/universalmusic/pressrelease/view/klas-aahlund-och-pharrel-paa-mikas-nya-album-772442

Totally agree with you. I also felt that rap part is just bizarre.

I'm just confused with this song, Seriously.

And this strange feeling did not happen when i heard make you happy

I really like the song, and I also realise it's a catchy song with comercial purposes. but I think he's now releasing those songs because he has to be commercia first to sell his album. for us, as we fans who follow him everywhere in every step of his career, we see Mika's songs in a different way, deeper, because we know what he's capable of, but right now, with a new album, he needs promotion to sell it, and perhaps the deeper songs are not the ones which sell...so I think we shouldn't be so worried right now, and perhaps we need to wait till the album comes out! :wink2:

Was about to write just the same... I just can't wait to hear the new single on local radio:thumb_yello:

+1 I think you are right, the only thing I don't agree with is the fact that the song isn't deep. I'm sure it's deep I think there's a meaning behind the lyrics. Just haven't figured it out yet.