Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

I don't really know what's going on in the UK at the moment because I don't listen to the radio anymore. But it does seem like radio has changed a lot since 2006/7. Capital Radio was one of Mika's biggest supporters (that's how I discovered him) but they switched up their format before TBWKTM came out and wouldn't play WAG at all.

I think Mika's downfall in the UK started earlier than 2009 and in my opinion, it may have had something to do with his image as at first all the media were enthusiastic about him. I remember he was played every other hour on Virgin Radio, for example, had a studio session there as wel, performing 3 songs from the album, and then as soon as GK went No1 they stopped playing him.

I think of it like a diagram.

I liked your diagram:thumb_yello:

Yes, I get the diagram, but I don´t agree. At least that´s not happening here... We have Anastacia, Enrique and Queen being played every f*cking day in radio stations and they are not getting a single every month...

There must be several stations in Spain. Here as well as in the UK there are stations that play old hits (Radio 2 or Capital Gold in the UK, for example) but the majority of the record buying public is not listening to these.

I really expected a f*cking off song as he once said...

it's the f*ck off song to be precise and I'm afraid he meant EMD by that :rolls_eyes:

So he may have meant "f*ck off, I'll write a song for helium parties now". :naughty:

I always looked at Mika in terms of his potential rather than believing all the propaganda about him being an original genius who refused to conform. People don't come out nowhere and get a #1 song by accident. :naughty:

I believed that until I heard the demo for GIAA. That one really made me think..:naughty:

I thought if he didn't become a superstar that perhaps he would grow into an even better songwriter and have the kind of career and universal respect that Rufus Wainwright has. But now I really don't think that's going to happen, at least not any time soon. :naughty:
yes, his songwriting is full team effort as well, I only realized it ...recently. :teehee:

On the other hand Mika has turned into a fantastic performer. The first time I saw him I could have never imagined the amazing energy and extraordinary charisma he would put into his later shows. For me it's a fair tradeoff and I can't believe that anyone who has seen Mika's show at a festival or wherever doesn't walk away impressed.

True, in a way I miss shows he did at the beginning: him at the piano. He'd need to practice for that though, that's probably why he stopped doing it :sneaky2:... and of course he can't hide behind anything that way, either, like costumes or sets. :teehee:

I wouldn't understand if they didn't release celebrate in the uk... So I'm just thinking they'll release it in a few days as well :dunno: Maybe I'm naive? I just don't see a reason why they wouldn't.

because of the preconceptions about him, probably. So they'll wait for some proven track record behind this single (ie. chart position in France...etc.

Or, and I'd like to think this is the case, they are waiting until they can use this song for something that has to do with utilizing the Olympics. It would be a shame if they hadn't made use of that obvious opportunity.

+1 I think you are right, the only thing I don't agree with is the fact that the song isn't deep. I'm sure it's deep I think there's a meaning behind the lyrics. Just haven't figured it out yet.

you're right!!!! in my case perhaps with its catchy and commercial rythm, the meaning gets lost for me, or it's harder to find it! but I'm sure it has a meaning too!!! :wink2:

Then, if it´s just a matter of taste, and NO ONE in UK likes Mika... wow... it´s hard... That´s why I say that maybe Mika is not as wondrous as we may think and that´s why no one but us love him... maybe he had a great day of inspiration when he wrote GK and that inspiration never appeared again... (I think he has more hits apart from GK, but again, I´m biased) and the kind of music he does is not appealing anyone else but hardcore fans :dunno:

No, he is hugely talented. But the problem with the UK is that, since stuff like X Factor started, pop stars are disposable. The ones that stay current are the ones who do other things like becoming a judge on a talent show. Then they'll be #1 in the charts even if they can't sing a note (Yes Cheryl I am talking about you)

They also like a bit of sensationalism in the UK. But Mika wouldn't give them the answer they wanted, to the question they still insist on asking when they should be asking about his music, so he wouldn't play nicely with the media.

The trouble with Mika, as far as they're concerned, is that he goes away, writes an album, then comes back years later. By that time they are preocupied with the next big thing and don't want Mika anymore.

For a song to be a hit, it needs good radio-play. It's one thing to make the song available to download on iTunes, but when no one knows the song they won't download it, and if they haven't heard it on the radio, they'll think it's a load of rubbish, because it hasn't been played. So only Mika's hardcore fans will download the track. Which is why the much neglected Rain, BIOTG and Kick-Ass, all only peaked at around 72 in the charts.

I feel some kind of sad .. I think I've just found he's somewhat changed.

One of the biggest reasons I love him was that I see a outsider in the pop world.

A successful outsider which is really ironic because generally success means someone is well suited to the market. However Celebrate gave me an image

of typical pop star. Tweets without serious emotions which ends with :) everytime, gold-shining fancy car, 'OMG I AM SO COOL' face..

Maybe I will always like him and his music

But for now, I don't just don't know if i can love him like before.

Sorry for bad english haha I can't say what I wanted to say in English.

But I really want to express my feelings about Celebrate.

I don't agree about Pharrell Suzie, to me his rap sounds elegantly and stylishly integrated into the song, and adds something to its vibe

I did not say it was rudely inserted. :teehee: Luckily his part is limited to the point of being almost irrelevant but I do question why it is there in the first place. I think they did a great job of collecting any possible clichés from recent hits, including the pauses, voice distortion, the cheering 'ooh's at the end and the simple yrics themselves but this part just sticks out like a sore thumb, no matter how 'elegantly' they tried to handle adding a credible rapper's stamp on the song.

On a personal level I understand why they did it. It is important that Mika returns with a hit (they may even be able to launch him in the US with this one) but I don't like it when you can smell the sweat in a song.

I think it was you who mentioned the Black Eyed Peas earlier.. I don't hear them but I think it was their sound (I Got a Feeling) that Mika was after when putting this together.

I love the new single Celebrate but those parts are kind of dark side to me. To me Celebrate got 'lost' somewhere between 'Mika-ish' and 'current trend'.. when I heard this song for the first time, after i heard first 1 minute I was like 'This man did it again!!:swoon:' but after pharrell's part I was like :blink: and this song seemed like going strange way and...... ends. Haha. It started with Perfect tune and flow...and few minutes after , it got lost where to go..

It is everything condensed into one, so that way, Mika-ish.:D

I like it from 2:30 to 2:45 I think when it is him singing 'It's coming up' 'I wanna go home' and 'I want the whole world to celebrate" at the same time. this bit reminds me of some songs I like.:teehee:.

Edited by suzie

I feel some kind of sad .. I think I've just found he's somewhat changed.

One of the biggest reasons I love him was that I see a outsider in the pop world.

A successful outsider which is really ironic because generally success means someone is well suited to the market. However Celebrate gave me an image

of typical pop star. Tweets without serious emotions which ends with :) everytime, gold-shining fancy car, 'OMG I AM SO COOL' face..

Maybe I will always like him and his music

But for now, I don't just don't know if i can love him like before.

Sorry for bad english haha I can't say what I wanted to say in English.

But I really want to express my feelings about Celebrate.

Apart from liking the song or not, i felt i needed to comment on the " Tweets without serious emotions which ends with :) everytime, gold-shining fancy car, 'OMG I AM SO COOL' face..":

Mika never tweeted any significant serious emotions from what i know of, and i'm glad his tweets end up with a :) that means he's happy, as for the car it's not golden, it's red and i think no one has to criticise which car he drives or not, as he worked hard to buy it and he deserves it (after trying so hard to get his driving license :mf_rosetinted:), and the omg i am so cool face is something he has always done not in a sense of i am so cool, but how good life has been treating him, and that's something we should be happy for...

Edited by willywonka

I think that there something very similar in the bassline of Celebration of Kool & The Gang and in the part " I want whole world..."

Can you or anyone help me where the drum beat is coming from? I was sure I'd find dozens of dance tracks with the same groove from the mid-eighties to the mid-nineties but I couldn't find any and now it's killing me :teehee:

Thanks to @Virgiinie for sharing :

[YOUTUBE]aWHauyiInEQ[/YOUTUBE]

Aww ma chère Mika :wub2: so lovely and kind as always. :mikalove:

t4p dear Chris :huglove:

Edited by Mikasister

I did not say it was rudely inserted. :teehee: Luckily his part is limited to the point of being almost irrelevant but I do question why it is there in the first place. I think they did a great job of collecting any possible clichés from recent hits, including the pauses, voice distortion, the cheering 'ooh's at the end and the simple yrics themselves but this part just sticks out like a sore thumb, no matter how 'elegantly' they tried to handle adding a credible rapper's stamp on the song.

On a personal level I understand why they did it. It is important that Mika returns with a hit (they may even be able to launch him in the US with this one) but I don't like it when you can smell the sweat in a song.

I think it was you who mentioned the Black Eyed Peas earlier.. I don't hear them but I think it was their sound (I Got a Feeling) that Mika was after when putting this together.

It is everything condensed into one, so that way, Mika-ish.:D

I like it from 2:30 to 2:45 I think when it is him singing 'It's coming up' 'I wanna go home' and 'I want the whole world to celebrate" at the same time. this bit reminds me of some songs I like.:teehee:.

I didn't mean that :D

IMO Pharrell's rap is there because it fits in the song, it blends well in it

Yes, it was me mentioning BEP :original:

Agree with the bolded part: we know, Mika loves I gotta feeling, which you've probably heard before a Mika gig, and the fact that Celebrate has got a similar vibe is no coincidence to me

Edited by mari62

Thanks to @Virgiinie for sharing :

[YOUTUBE]aWHauyiInEQ[/YOUTUBE]

That is really nice. So much better than the usual rugby scrum with everyone yapping at him and shoving things in his face. :aah:

Agree with the bolded part: we know, Mika loves I gotta feeling, which you've probably heard before a Mika gig, and the fact that Celebrate has got a similar vibe is no coincidence to me

That's the thing, he likes this kind of music. People have to remember that Grace Kelly was written 8 years ago. Just because the music that was in the charts at that time did not resonate with Mika doesn't mean that he will never want to make music that is similar to what happens to be current now (or in the future).

I think he should be totally unapologetic and come out with the message that he is making the music he wants to make, end of story. Too much protesting is not going to convince anyone. People will either like the song(s) or they won't and will always paint a change they don't like as "selling out".

Wasn't it also this song he was jumping around to together with the BIPs at a festival?

I think Mika is really predictable about his influences. If he likes a song , a style, a feeling, he usually tries to incorporate it into his music so you find it sooner or later... :teehee:

I never liked that particular BIP song but should I have ever partied to it I believe I'd have some nostalgy towards it. It is that type of tune.

Should Mika take out the Pharrell bit I might actually like Celebration as a song. I'll see if how he manages to turn it into a party song tomorrow. :teehee:

I think he should be totally unapologetic and come out with the message that he is making the music he wants to make, end of story. Too much protesting is not going to convince anyone. People will either like the song(s) or they won't and will always paint a change they don't like as "selling out".

I remember peceiving WAG as him 'selling out' whilst it was probably just badly mixed to my ears and the wrong words used in the lyrics. However, there are clear instances whrn musicians or pop stars 'sell out' and some of them proudly admit it like Katy Perry did recently.

I don't think Mika would never admit it and in his case, it may have more to do with replicating a particular type of music slaverishly or unimaginatively. To me there is a clear difference between this one and Make You Happy in terms of the commercial intent but not everyone sees it this way, I understand.

Edited by suzie

I remember peceiving WAG as him 'selling out' whilst it was probably just badly mixed to my ears and the wrong words used in the lyrics. However, there are clear instances whrn musicians or pop stars 'sell out' and some of them proudly admit it like Katy Perry did recently.

I don't think Mika would never admit it and in his case, it may have more to do with replicating a particular type of music slaverishly or unimaginatively. To me there is a clear difference between this one and Make You Happy in terms of the commercial intent but not everyone sees it this way, I understand.

I see it the same way :original:

and while Celebrate was 'released', Make you happy was 'shared'. Quite a difference. :wink2:

That's the thing, he likes this kind of music. People have to remember that Grace Kelly was written 8 years ago. Just because the music that was in the charts at that time did not resonate with Mika doesn't mean that he will never want to make music that is similar to what happens to be current now (or in the future).

I totally agree. Life is change e´ven if we don´t like every aspect. I wouldn´t want Mika to stay at the same point for the rest of his life. Now it´s the time to make music with electro and maybe in three years we will get a simple acustic album, who knows what life will bring.

OMG :shocked::shocked::shocked::yikes:

Sorry Mika but in this outfit, you look like a tosser. I hope it was some sort of joke, cause if he turns up in this gettup on Sunday people will cry with laughter AT him. This is atrocious!!!

:doh: What on earth was he thinking??

It looks like a really old fashioned school boy outfit lol