Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10popsongs.html

Nº 5 !!!!!!!!!:mikadas:

:wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2:

Yay, that's really great! :thumb_yello:

I'm just hoping it's not just the charm of novelty and that the song will keep on climbing to the top and then stay there!

I liked your diagram:thumb_yello:

Glad someone liked it ;D

you're right!!!! in my case perhaps with its catchy and commercial rythm, the meaning gets lost for me, or it's harder to find it! but I'm sure it has a meaning too!!! :wink2:

Yeah, I've listen to the lyrics but I really don't understand what he's trying to say, not even sure if hear the lyrics right or not. :aah:

Edited by Lilasko

I didn't mean that :D

IMO Pharrell's rap is there because it fits in the song, it blends well in it

Yes, it was me mentioning BEP :original:

Agree with the bolded part: we know, Mika loves I gotta feeling, which you've probably heard before a Mika gig, and the fact that Celebrate has got a similar vibe is no coincidence to me

If I remember well, Mika and Cherisse were on stage with the BEP and danced with them at a festival in Belgium (Werchter, about 2 years ago) :thumb_yello:

On the other hand Mika has turned into a fantastic performer. The first time I saw him I could have never imagined the amazing energy and extraordinary charisma he would put into his later shows. For me it's a fair tradeoff and I can't believe that anyone who has seen Mika's show at a festival or wherever doesn't walk away impressed.

Totally agree about this. That's why I don't see recorded versions personally so important, I know I won't much listen to them. There are always only a couple of songs from every album I regularly listen to from my iPod, but I check many live videos and especially professionally made live recordings (he always makes them different or adds something to them) and I go to see him live as often as I can (his energy is fantastic). I do understand it's important for him to sell records and wish him as much success as he wants or needs.

I see it the same way :original:

and while Celebrate was 'released', Make you happy was 'shared'. Quite a difference. :wink2:

That's a good point! I see Celebrate clearly more commercial than MYH. I like MYH much more, but Celebrate is catchy and makes people dance, and if it's useful and brings him some new audience, it's just fine to use it and I know I will enjoy the live version of Celebrate a lot (even it's not that kind of song I will listen to from my iPod).

Seriously... 3 years and all we get is Celebrate?? I don´t dislike the song, and I´m gonna encourage him ever on twitter and stuff... but... I really expected a f*cking off song as he once said...

I hear ya sistah!

Really starting to like this song after listening to it quite a few times now... Still, that Pharrell line is totally out of place in my point of view. It's completely unexpected in a bad way. Bleeeeeeh.

From 2:33 to 2:50, though, this song makes me want to move off the chair and jump. :blush-anim-cl: It will probably sound AWESOME live.

Totally agree about this. That's why I don't see recorded versions personally so important, I know I won't much listen to them. There are always only a couple of songs from every album I regularly listen to from my iPod, but I check many live videos and especially professionally made live recordings (he always makes them different or adds something to them) and I go to see him live as often as I can (his energy is fantastic). I do understand it's important for him to sell records and wish him as much success as he wants or needs.

You're so,so right :thumb_yello:

Really starting to like this song after listening to it quite a few times now... Still, that Pharrell line is totally out of place in my point of view. It's completely unexpected in a bad way. Bleeeeeeh.

From 2:33 to 2:50, though, this song makes me want to move off the chair and jump. :blush-anim-cl: It will probably sound AWESOME live.

Hahah, I actually like the Pharrell part! Well, Mika seems to think he is cool :teehee: and it IS something new (in a Mika song)! On the other hand, I prefer his part is not too big, I want to hear more Mika. Yes, I think this will be a good live song.

Why are people hating on Pharrell? I like him. He produced all my favourite Justin Timberlake songs:wub2:

We are only talking about Celebrate and not the other ones Pharrell has been involved in.

haha - that's the part I like most as well - checked it by seconds and it lasts around 15 secs only.:naughty:

Hahah, I actually like the Pharrell part! Well, Mika seems to think he is cool :teehee: and it IS something new (in a Mika song)! On the other hand, I prefer his part is not too big, I want to hear more Mika. Yes, I think this will be a good live song.

In fact I try to ignore the Pharrell bit and focus on Mika only. :teehee: It is different indeed, I just don't think it fits there or even matches Mika's voice...

Why are people hating on Pharell? I like him. He produced all my favourite Justin Timberlake songs:wub2:

Not hating on him here, I just don't like that part of the song. :dunno: I really can't tell anything else about whatever else he's done before, if he's generally good or not, since I don't know much of his work...

Someone who knows why Mikasoundsofficial Mika-celebrate clip is blocked? :blink:

Or isn't mikasoundsofficial the official Mika youtube channel?

we wondered too :teehee:

and we told them, they know...but clearly they are a bit...slow? :mf_rosetinted:

Correct! That's how French little children were dressed for school in the 1950s. My dad used to :teehee:

Most likely similar outfit across most of Europe around that time, minus the berét. :teehee:

haha - that's the part I like most as well - checked it by seconds and it lasts around 15 secs only.:naughty:

:lmfao:

Shall we formulate a Celebrate equation? Like

(Celebrate) - (Pharrell's part) + 3 x (15 amazing secs) = great great song :teehee:

(Celebrate) - (Pharrell's part) + 3 x (15 amazing secs) = great great song :teehee:

Yes, good idea. We can even ask Lilasko to chart it. Her version is likely to be different though. :naughty:

:lmfao: I like Celebrate but if you want to make me love it I'll have to use that equation :thumb_yello:

Someone who knows why Mikasoundsofficial Mika-celebrate clip is blocked? :blink:

Or isn't mikasoundsofficial the official Mika youtube channel?

I believe this has happened to Mika's videos starting from Rain.. If I remember correct it was around the time the MikaVevo channel was opened, and the videos were then broadcasted through it..

Yes, good idea. We can even ask Lilasko to chart it. Her version is likely to be different though. :naughty:

Ha, yes. :aah: As long as she keeps my balance, it's ok. :mikacool: I was pretty good with my maths at school. :mikacool:

From 2:33 to 2:50, though, this song makes me want to move off the chair and jump. :blush-anim-cl:It will probably sound AWESOME live.

it's a perfect gig song! :thumb_yello:

That's the thing, he likes this kind of music. People have to remember that Grace Kelly was written 8 years ago. Just because the music that was in the charts at that time did not resonate with Mika doesn't mean that he will never want to make music that is similar to what happens to be current now (or in the future).

I think he should be totally unapologetic and come out with the message that he is making the music he wants to make, end of story. Too much protesting is not going to convince anyone. People will either like the song(s) or they won't and will always paint a change they don't like as "selling out".

Wasn't it also this song he was jumping around to together with the BIPs at a festival?

I think Mika is really predictable about his influences. If he likes a song , a style, a feeling, he usually tries to incorporate it into his music so you find it sooner or later... :teehee:

I never liked that particular BIP song but should I have ever partied to it I believe I'd have some nostalgy towards it. It is that type of tune.

Should Mika take out the Pharrell bit I might actually like Celebration as a song. I'll see if how he manages to turn it into a party song tomorrow. :teehee:

Songs like I gotta feeling and Celebrate drive me crazy at gigs, but I adore GK as well of course, so one thing does not exclude the other, people can love different genres, can't they? So can Mika, no?

Moreover let's not forget, that this album has got a few collaborations, so it isn't 100% Mika.

He's exploring new paths, and won't necessarily follow them forever.

Well, time will tell, I'm really curious about the new album, like we all are

If I remember well, Mika and Cherisse were on stage with the BEP and danced with them at a festival in Belgium (Werchter, about 2 years ago) :thumb_yello:
yes, I remember very well, too :wub2:

That's a good point! I see Celebrate clearly more commercial than MYH. I like MYH much more, but Celebrate is catchy and makes people dance, and if it's useful and brings him some new audience, it's just fine to use it and I know I will enjoy the live version of Celebrate a lot (even it's not that kind of song I will listen to from my iPod).

I don't listen to these kinds of songs as much as to melodic music either. Edited by mari62