Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

wow. catchy and simple...summery. but also very commercial and - IMO - a far cry from the early Mika, which is what Mika is about really...I feel as though this isn't really him. Just sounds like another pop tune to me. I like it, but nothing really..."wow" to be honest. Might be better at a concert and perhaps I just need to get used to it...but Grace Kelly and We Are Golden were instant likes whereas this...to me is just a mediocre summer song. :dunno:

Do you remember that cartoon ad for the album where there was a machine producing all the pop stars (Prince, Madonna, Mika..etc)... I just remembered it today and I thought that this song is just what I thought Mika would never be about. Even the lyrics are just so conventional. If Mika's 'personality' is missing in any song of his songs, then I think it is this one.

Do you remember that cartoon ad for the album where there was a machine producing all the pop stars (Prince, Madonna, Mika..etc)... I just remembered it today and I thought that this song is just what I thought Mika would never be about. Even the lyrics are just so conventional. If Mika's 'personality' is missing in any song of his songs, then I think it is this one.

God yes. Hit the nail on the head.

Very true. This song is quite simple, I like the catchiness/tune of this one (more so than MYH)...but I can't really take it seriously. However, I think MYH is a more complex song, more unique, less "cookie cutter" and, even though I like the tune less, I appreciate the details put into that song more.

Hope that makes sense. :aah:

wow. catchy and simple...summery. but also very commercial and - IMO - a far cry from the early Mika, which is what Mika is about really...I feel as though this isn't really him. Just sounds like another pop tune to me. I like it, but nothing really..."wow" to be honest. Might be better at a concert and perhaps I just need to get used to it...but Grace Kelly and We Are Golden were instant likes whereas this...to me is just a mediocre summer song. :dunno:

Pretty well sums it up for me too :sad:

He ought to release it sooner rather than later in the UK if he wants to cash in on the Olympics (celebrate, finishing line etc)

I am hoping that the album will be a mix of this and more acoustic ones. By the sound of the interview, this appears to be the case. After all, I can't see overrated and underwater with synths, at least yet anyway! :)

You should go to the album thread, there are some reviews there that I translated and you'll know more about these 2 songs :wink2:

No, I THINK he is dedicating his time to France because he is with this French record label now and he is with them because no-one else was interested in him.

Needless to say, I do hope that I am wrong aboout this. We'll see under which label the album will be released.

well that explains why the french are hearing things before the rest of us :doh: guess that what happens when your no longer an active member but it would have helped if mika had told us in the first place :fisch:

You may just like it for the same reason why others don't: it has a catchy tune, simple lyrics, some voice distortion, easy to repeat chorus, dumbed down arrangement, random rapper asking us to party and basically sounds like everything else at the moment. :dunno:

:Update: Ok,now,after a glass of red wine,I think I like more MYH :blink: :blink: :sorry:

Pretty well sums it up for me too :sad:

He ought to release it sooner rather than later in the UK if he wants to cash in on the Olympics (celebrate, finishing line etc)

Just listened to Grace Kelly. That song is so effing epic. And then we get Celebrate...there's just no comparison. Every artist changes and evolves and that's fine, completely understand and don't go against artists searching new avenues, but I feel as though he's become an artist he said he never would be become. And it's a shame. To me. If people like it then go on ahead! Like what you want! ^^ And I do like Celebrate but it does sound like a song that someone else could have easily come out with. Grace Kelly, Love Today, Happy Ending, We Are Golden, all of these songs are so distinctive and so obviously Mika but I do find Celebrate rather bland in comparison. Hmm.

Just listened to Grace Kelly. That song is so effing epic. And then we get Celebrate...there's just no comparison. Every artist changes and evolves and that's fine, completely understand and don't go against artists searching new avenues, but I feel as though he's become an artist he said he never would be become. And it's a shame. To me. If people like it then go on ahead! Like what you want! ^^ And I do like Celebrate but it does sound like a song that someone else could have easily come out with. Grace Kelly, Love Today, Happy Ending, We Are Golden, all of these songs are so distinctive and so obviously Mika but I do find Celebrate rather bland in comparison. Hmm.

Yes, it's just formulaic pop with no hint of musical genius.

I had high hopes that the combination of his amazing voice with electronic sounds would produce something wonderful but instead ... To quote myself (:teehee:), he could have been Marc Almond but he's ended up as Kei$ha

Yes, it's just formulaic pop with no hint of musical genius.

I had high hopes that the combination of his amazing voice with electronic sounds would produce something wonderful but instead ... To quote myself (:teehee:), he could have been Marc Almond but he's ended up as Kei$ha

I wouldn't go quite as far as Ke$ha but I get your drift :naughty:

:Update: Ok,now,after a glass of red wine,I think I like more MYH :blink: :blink: :sorry:

:lmfao:

This sounds so funny :roftl:

I also change my mind about songs sometimes, like after the second listening I don't like it anymore or start to like it. The latter is probably more the case of me getting used to it though.

Also, after some years my opinion about a song may change completely, either because of life experience / maturity or because I suddenly hear the song outside the time period and without the influence of trends.

I like MYH more too, I think it's much better song. But Celebrate is light and summery, it makes me smile and it could have similar success as EMD did in France and I will probably like the live version a lot. It is not one of those songs that will become my absolute favorites, but I believe Underwater, Karen and some other songs (Lola sounds very interesting!) will be.

I'm way behind. He's actually releasing Overrated? As in, the "forbidden demo"?? (obviously changed it since then but making sure we're talking about the same song here.)

Yes,it will be f***ng electro,perfect for clubs :aah:

And I always thought you'd get better with practise.. well Mika must be the opposite :tears:

Come on, we all know Mika does not like to practice....:teehee:

Ok,one more glass and i'm going to listen to Erase :naughty:

:lmao: